http://www.elitesportsca.com/
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 03m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = m40-45
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Ventura and checked into the hotel about mid afternoon. The weather and water at the beach next to the hotel looked great so I went out on my paddle board for a little bit. Later in the evening we went out for my usual pre-race sushi dinner and walked around the lively downtown area.
Event warmup:

Walked down from the hotel, stretched my legs, and watched the waves from the starting area.
Run
  • 2h 03m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Great day for a run: sunny with a breeze coming from the ocean. I was in the second wave start and settled in to a comfortable pace quickly. After winding through a park, past a camp ground, and over an overpass the route settled along the coast.

Miles 4-10 were right along the beach, just 10-20 yards from high tide waves crashing on the rocky beach. At one narrow point a wave even crashed high enough to splash a runner coming back from the turn around! He laughed and thanked the ocean for the cool down. The scenery was so nice it made the miles breeze by.

Heading back towards the finish the sunny morning was getting warm. There was a nice wall of trees along the camp ground that gave a short shady respite from the sun. The final mile my legs were starting to complain so I focused on keeping moving. Rounding the last corner with the finish line in sight I kicked in with all I had left, crossing the finish line so "fast" I almost outran a camera!
What would you do differently?:

Good run, happy with it.
Post race
Warm down:

Tacos and beer!

Event comments:

Fun race and great scenery.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-02-23 12:00 AM
Running
02:03:35 | 13.1 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1060106833
Course: Out and back up the coastal Old Rincon Highway
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-02-23 5:11 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: Seaside Half Marathon

2016-02-24 7:03 AM
in reply to: #5168805

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Seaside Half Marathon

Nice race and it sounds like beautiful scenery.  Great work!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Seaside Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Seaside Half-Marathon

Started by Its Only Money
Views: 1315 Posts: 1

2010-03-09 10:47 AM Its Only Money

Seaside Half-Marathon

Started by gator486
Views: 1176 Posts: 2

2010-03-07 5:14 PM Shaved_Wookie

Seaside Half-Marathon

Started by Sledge
Views: 1358 Posts: 2

2009-03-05 9:11 PM Manatee Express

Seaside Half-Marathon

Started by Sledge
Views: 1933 Posts: 6

2008-03-03 12:39 PM peto_primo

Seaside Half-Marathon

Started by emeraldCoastTri
Views: 1348 Posts: 3

2007-03-11 12:01 AM yojimbo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.