General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim and Olympic in same week? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-29 3:49 PM

User image

Mojave Desert
Subject: Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim and Olympic in same week?
I signed up for an Olympic triathlon in Havasu on March 19th. I was just invited today to do the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim on the 14th. They plan to hike the 42 miles or so in about 24 hours (no camping, just steady hiking).

I have no specific goals on the tri, but I have paid for it. Is it too close to the hike? Would I be too sore to do the tri?

Training-wise, I just completed my first half-marathon. I have been mostly running and just now getting back on the bike. I'm good for 2 hour trail runs pretty regularly. My log is pretty accurate from Jan 1 until now. Any advice on if this is taking on too much or not?

2016-02-29 6:02 PM
in reply to: ktsdad

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim and Olympic in same week?
IMO, that sounds like a bad plan.

From what I know about the Rim to Rim, it's a pretty hard trek. And you are doing R-R-R.
This more like an off road ultra attempt....I know you say "hike" but 42 miles of steep climbs/descents will be a serious effort.

2 training runs ? I'd say that's not nearly close to being ready.

Hate to be a pessimist but I'd pick one or the other.
2016-02-29 6:13 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I would say no. Few things kick my butt as bad as backpacking. I have no idea what you would be carrying, but I'm assuming there would be added weight. I think its possible, but highly not recommended. If its a group of friends I think you could definately start with them and do a day hike out and back x amount of miles. Its really up to you. If the r2r2r is more important to you then do that. If you feel good come the 19th you get to do both.
2016-02-29 6:50 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by metafizx

IMO, that sounds like a bad plan.

From what I know about the Rim to Rim, it's a pretty hard trek. And you are doing R-R-R.
This more like an off road ultra attempt....I know you say "hike" but 42 miles of steep climbs/descents will be a serious effort.

2 training runs ? I'd say that's not nearly close to being ready.

Hate to be a pessimist but I'd pick one or the other.

oops I meant to say "2 hour training runs ?"

2016-02-29 6:53 PM
in reply to: #5169769

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
If you don't care where you place at id say go for r2r2r. I look forward to running it someday. You have other people going with you which is a huge boost mentally, and safety wise. It's r2r2r, if I had the opportunity I would go for it.
2016-02-29 8:52 PM

Scottsdale, AZ

My husband did the R2R2R last year…finished in 22 hours. He wasn't really sore the next day except for his feet but otherwise felt good. They left at night at 6pm and hiked all night to avoid any major heat at the bottom. Was pretty happy with his performance and he's done R2R quite a few times as well. They went at a good steady pace, stopped a few times just to fill water, but max of 15 min at one time. You'll be tired mostly from being up that long.
He did MANY training hikes to prepare - max of 22 miles - but JUST hiking, no running. You have to get used to being on your feet for all those hours.

From what I hear about Havasu, it's a pretty hilly course, so a bit more than your normal Tempe flat course (I'm assuming your around the AZ/Utah area). But depends on how you want to race it, as others have said, I'd say go for it. If you fuel properly and really take care of recovery after the hike, it can be done. You may not PR your OLY, but I think you can do it.

2016-02-29 10:11 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Mojave Desert
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have bird hunted about 10 -15 miles in a day (in hunting boots) with a 4-5 mile run ( in shoes) afterward for 4 days in a row, but it wasn't steep like R2R2R. It's been a bucket list thing for a while, but 2 weeks notice is pretty short. My biggest worry is my feet. I don't have good trail shoes, and I'm afraid of putting heavy miles on new kicks.

I live in NW AZ so I am used to the country, elevation changes, and temp swings, but it also makes me respectful of it as well.

Either way, I appreciate the advice from everyone. It helps. I'll think about it and maybe do some praying as well. I'll post back when I decide.
2016-03-02 8:24 AM

User image

Pro

Another option is to aquabike the tri instead of do the full thing.

I was sore after Rim to Rim last year... but I did it a week before a marathon. It was a terrible idea, but the opportunity came up, so I took it. I got a massage and only ran once (~3 miles) between the hike and the marathon. And I PRed.

Not sure how much worse Rim to Rim to Rim will leave you. Just wanted to let you know that you may be crazy, but you're in good company!

2016-03-02 8:48 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

Doable. 

have you checked to see if the water is turned on along the botton of the Canyon?  if not that means you will have to carry enough water/fluids for the entire trip across and back (assuming you are going south to north and back south?).  Also, you have a goal of 22 hours, plan for longer.  when my friend and I did it a few years back we missed our goal by a few hours.  if going south to north the hardest part will be the climb up the north rim.  we did bright angel to the north rim and then came back up the bright angel as well.

as for the triathlon, well, rest up during the week, take it easy and then use the tri as a nice recovery!

2016-03-02 9:58 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
R2R2R is one of my lifetime goal activities. So cool that you are going to get a chance to do this.

I suspect that you will be very sore afterwards and don't think that the Olympic tri that soon afterwards is a great idea. With that being said, the idea of doing the swim and bike and deciding in T2 whether you want to run sounds like a great idea.

What ever you decide about the triathlon, don't miss out on the Grand Canyon adventure. I am totally jealous.
2016-03-02 10:47 AM
in reply to: #5169803

User image

Mojave Desert
I decided to pass on the Canyon. I just felt I haven't prepped my feet enough. I am fortunate to live 2 hours away, so I'll have another chance I'm sure.

2016-03-02 11:15 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Bummer. I am disappointed for you.

Well, I'm just going to throw it out there that I am looking at doing R2R2R, perhaps in late May, 2017. I would like to "run" it with a goal of starting around 4 AM and finishing up the same day.

I don't want to do this alone. If there is anyone who wants to tackle this challenge with a relatively motivated but fairly easy to get along with (if I do say so myself) triathlete, send me a PM. Planning on easy running and power hiking. I have been doing some research on the logistics of doing this. Two would be great. Three would be fine. Four is getting to be a little too many......
2016-03-02 11:21 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ktsdad I decided to pass on the Canyon. I just felt I haven't prepped my feet enough. I am fortunate to live 2 hours away, so I'll have another chance I'm sure.

I would have suggested doing the R2R2R and ditching the Tri, as Oly Tri's are a dime a dozen (or, as Elaine suggested above, doing an Aqua Bike).  But- if you're not ready on the running side, a wise decision.  Otherwise it will become a painful death march.  

2016-03-02 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by ktsdad

I decided to pass on the Canyon. I just felt I haven't prepped my feet enough. I am fortunate to live 2 hours away, so I'll have another chance I'm sure.

wise decision IMO.

I think R2R would be EPIC, but a serious challenge for anyone. R2R2R is even more so.

I know a few friends that have done R2R, but they are crazy ultra people that know what they are getting into.

For me, it would be a commitment to that event with a training plan, because I know I'm not in the ultra catagory.

For example I'm doing a 15 miler in southern Utah in May and taking this as a serious challenge, and have a training plan to get ready.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim and Olympic in same week? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rim 2 Rim question

Started by halfmarathondon
Views: 1316 Posts: 4

2013-01-04 10:31 AM halfmarathondon

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim March 25ish 2013 anyone?

Started by TonyO
Views: 4117 Posts: 21

2013-05-07 9:59 PM TonyO

Road Bike Rims vs Cross Rims

Started by kproudfoot
Views: 1071 Posts: 6

2011-02-03 5:08 PM kproudfoot

Rim trainer help...

Started by Freeswimmingfish
Views: 1382 Posts: 7

2007-01-13 8:28 AM Vrindavan

Disc/ deep rimmed wheel questions

Started by MobAlTri
Views: 903 Posts: 11

2005-08-23 9:06 PM MobAlTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2004
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
Learn to perform routine maintenance on your bike. Knowing basic maintenance will make you a better rider. You’ll also come to recognize the complexity and beauty of this machine.