Tradewinds Cycling Team
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 42s
Overall Rank = 6/87
Age Group = Masters 35-49
Age Group Rank = 3/28
Pre-race routine:

After a solid performance at the 40k two weeks ago I had some good, but not great rides in between. Blew up on a test run last Thursday, and the weekend long rides didn't have me feeling like much more than 300-305 watts was going to be possible. Weight was fluctuating, but with a few dinners and lunches leading in to the race I knew I wasn't going to get under 150. 156 actually which I was pretty disappointed with, but still a few pounds lighter than last year.

The 3 days before the race I did start to feel really good though. The workouts were on the lighter side, but legs felt snappy. The plan was to go slightly harder on the first half, about 305-315, recover a little on the false flats at 280-290, then bring it back up to 300+ and build to the end once I get back to the steeper section and over the bridge. I also knew that I would be going a bit off a feel and trusting that I know how much I can actually handle on any given day.
Event warmup:

Similar warm up to Pineapple Sprint except done on the climb. Really liking how this opens up my legs for a hard effort right off the bat.
Bike
  • 21m 42s
  • 4.3 miles
  • 11.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out perfect just as planned. 400 watts the first 30 seconds, then down to 350 after 1 minute. With Jeff starting 30 seconds in front of me, I knew I had a little more motivation to start hard and keep him in sight. The visual carrot makes a huge difference. So I settle in at right around 320 watts...which I know is slightly above goal, but I feel okay. I get to the fire hydrant and the museum just under 3 minutes, then to the stop sign just under 5 minutes. Everything is right on track and the first test if you're going too hard is if when you crest the kicker at the stop sign...can you keep applying power or did you just burn a match? Got through that section okay.

On the next long straight I see Jeff up ahead making the right corner past the last set of houses. I mark the time, then notice I'm net 10 seconds down to him. Not totally surprised as he's got the advantage on the steeper sections but I didn't want to bleed too much more with the long steep still ahead. Power is still holding nicely at 320, and HR is starting to climb up to 180, which is about right. I get through the steep section and as we hit the false flat I still see 300 watts or so. I could have backed off a little knowing I spent a few more watts, but Jeff wasn't in sight, and this is the area where I can make up time on him. It was a gamble, but I knew I at least needed to see him again for motivation.

Starting to really suffer, but everyone is at this point if you're doing it right. Pictures have me looking like a total wreck. As we got back to the switchbacks I mark Jeff again and the gap is only 20 seconds, meaning I'm net 10 seconds ahead. There's still a little more steep stuff so I made the decision to try and give it as much as I could the next few switchbacks and sacrifice a stronger finish on the flatter ending. Plan worked as I kept my 10 second lead to the bridge, but I was also going over the edge.

I put it in the big ring, but only could sustain it for about 20 seconds and dumped it back down. On this section I knew Jeff wasn't going to pull back 10 seconds, but at the same time I'm also racing against other people so I just give as much as I could as I start to get sloppy. I only averaged 311 the last 2 minutes, where normally I can do closer to 360. Nothing out of the saddle coming to the line either. The gap between Jeff and I stayed at 10 seconds.

PR'd by 16 seconds, although my Garmin had me at 21:39. Whatever though, the next place up was almost 30 seconds faster, so I didn't have any regrets.
What would you do differently?:

Pacing was pretty solid.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatness. If I ever get down to around 142-145 that should bring me down to around 20:30-20:45 range on my wattage. That at least puts me in range to sniff the overall win if I can add another 20-30 watts.

Last updated: 2016-04-04 12:00 AM
Biking
00:21:42 | 04.3 miles | 11.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/28
Overall: 6/87
Performance: Good
181 avg HR, 313 watts
Wind: Little
Course: 4.3 miles climbing 1340 feet
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2016-04-04 8:05 PM

User image

Subject: 2016 Tantalus TT

2016-04-10 10:14 PM
in reply to: #5175381

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 2016 Tantalus TT
Ouch! My legs burned just reading this. Spied it in the Race Report list and had to read it as that was my go-to long run in grad school--know exactly where all those landmarks are. I think it would be "easier" to run up than bike up. Congrats!
2016-04-12 12:06 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 2016 Tantalus TT

This is incredible to me!  Great job.  On my last vacation to Honolulu we stayed at a house on Round Top Drive. We found it difficult to walk at points, so I can't imagine riding in that area.   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2016 Tantalus TT Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2016 Makaha TT

Started by Jason N
Views: 1181 Posts: 4

2016-03-07 11:26 AM mcmanusclan5

Midwest Indoor Tri-Classic Series 2016 - Woodridge

Started by Deb M
Views: 884 Posts: 1

2016-02-29 5:40 PM Deb M

Midwest Indoor Tri-Classic Series 2016 -Glen Elly

Started by Deb M
Views: 1112 Posts: 1

2016-02-15 8:08 PM Deb M

Midwest Indoor Tri-Classic Series 2016 - Wheaton

Started by Deb M
Views: 1094 Posts: 1

2016-02-15 8:01 PM Deb M

2015 Tantalus TT

Started by Jason N
Views: 1002 Posts: 4

2015-04-14 4:52 PM axteraa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.