Jones Racing Company
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 25s
Overall Rank = 53/149
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/13
Pre-race routine:

Did the race with Peter and Jon and Susan came to cheer us on. We all stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Conover the night before. We left the hotel and about 5:55 and got there in plenty of time to set up. Parking was pretty close to transition. It was not a big race, so it was very comfortable setting up.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam about 100 yds to get things moving. Still wondering if I should do more of a warmup. No running or biking.
Swim
  • 07m 38s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started to the outside a bit. There were a lot of swimmers and not much room. I did not want to get stuck behind too many people and then have to try to swim around them, so I moved to the outside and started with only a couple of people in front of me. It worked well. I did not get involved with much of a crowd and was even able to draft for a short period.

Sighted very well - felt like I stayed on course well.

I felt a bit tired at the end. I probably went out a bit fast, but that was the plan with the short swim.

What would you do differently?:

Just continue to swim and get faster. I am definitely seeing the results of masters swimming. It is becoming my best discipline.
Transition 1
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Good, quick transition - 1st in my age group. I really don't know what I could have done faster. I think at this point more fitness to move more quickly is the only additional thing I can do.

Good flying start and got into pedals well.

Nothing
Bike
  • 50m 43s
  • 16 miles
  • 18.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Chain came off at 28min and 35 min. My fault - In both cases I was hitting a big uphill after a turn and was not in the correct gear. After the second time, the front derailleur would not go to the small ring, which made the remaining hills a bit of a challenge.

Losing the chain on the bike on uphills also caused my calves to cramp when trying to start back up. I burned a few "matches" on the chain problems.

Overall I felt OK, but I am not in the same bike shape as I have been in the past.

I pushed too hard and knew the run was going to be rough while on the bike.

Better shifting to avoid losing the chain.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I was beat. Again, more fitness will get me to a faster transition. Don't know what I could have done better from an execution standpoint. I just need to go faster. I was dragging at this point.

Nothing.
Run
  • 26m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Painful. I'm probably going too hard on the bike and killing the run. I can run faster in my run sessions, and I have practiced running off the bike. I am probably not going as long as needed to build more aerobic endurance.

Nothing. I pushed as hard as I could

I need more endurance..
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Drank powerade, a banana, apple slices, ate a power bar and another banana in the car with water and gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Aerobic endurance. I need more long workouts.

Event comments:

This race was smaller than most, but it was fun. The lake was nice, and the course was challenging, but not too difficult.

Everyone was extremely friendly, and it made the morning fun.

Last updated: 2015-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:38 | 400 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 36/149
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: We swam from a boat ramp. left side out around two bouys and back. Exited the other side of the boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:50:43 | 16 miles | 18.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 58/149
Performance: Below average
Garmin showed 15.84miles 1st 5 miles - 19.7mph 2nd 5 miles - 17.9 mph 3rd 5 miles - 18.9mph 4th .8 miiles - 21.1mph
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops - some really rough roads leaving and going back to transition. Also, a lot more traffic on the course than I have seen in the past.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:56 | 03.1 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/13
Overall: 70/149
Performance: Below average
Garmin had distance at 3.15miles / pace at 8:33 Cadence - 161 spm Mile 1 - 8:38 Mile 2 - 8:43 Mile 3 - 8:32 Remaining - 6:56
Course: Out and back with two branches along rural roads. Pretty hilly (although I was in so much pain they probably seemed worse than they really were.)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-05-19 7:52 AM

User image

Pineville, North Carolina
Subject: Lake Hickory Triathlon

2016-05-19 12:48 PM
in reply to: #5182613

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Lake Hickory Triathlon

Pushed as hard as you could.  Had fun.  Podium!

Now THAT'S a great day.  Congrats!

Matt

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Hickory Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Hickory Triathlon

Started by dabrown
Views: 855 Posts: 2

2006-06-18 8:46 AM gailvic

Old Hickory Lake Triathlon

Started by abarrios
Views: 1078 Posts: 1

2006-04-18 3:45 PM abarrios

Started by builderguy
Views: 1340 Posts: 1

2005-11-20 6:17 PM builderguy

Started by BellaDad
Views: 1051 Posts: 1

2005-10-18 12:49 PM BellaDad

Started by tbone
Views: 1018 Posts: 2

2004-09-21 1:40 PM TriBarbie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.