General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is the swim really that important? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-06-06 6:33 PM

Subject: Is the swim really that important?
One of my ironman triathlon friends is placing very little attention on the swim, saying to me that it's just a small fraction of the race. He does not strive to improve his stroke or get faster -- he just puts in a non-stop swim once a week. He spends 80% of his time on the bike. I'm trying to explain to him that the swim affects the race more than you might expect. Does anyone have any thoughts or scientific findings on this? Thank you!

2016-06-06 6:55 PM
in reply to: AquaWolf

User image

Subject: RE: Is the swim really that important?
In any triathlon, you spend most of your time on the bike.
That said, you should never overlook the swim. If you come out of the water past the cutt off time, you will never be allowed to start your bike.
2016-06-06 6:57 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
absolutely the swim is crucial.

totally depends on the goals in mind, but doing a long distance tri takes a heck of lot out of you, and swimming is a key factor in the overall conditioning.

IM swims can burn you early in the race if you're not adequately trained, even if your bike and run volumes are solid, you will feel a significant impact from the swim. If the swim conditions are tough, even more reason to be well prepared.

although this person will most likely still finish the swim, it adds risk to the race and a "weak link in the chain".

2016-06-06 7:41 PM
in reply to: metafizx

Excellent reply. Thank you.
2016-06-06 7:46 PM

Once a week? Really? In my first couple of HIMs, I wouldn't say I was the best about pushing myself in the pool, but I at least got in the pool a few times a week. I'm not a fast swimmer but I just don't want to come out of the water already spent.
2016-06-06 7:54 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
I found the more fit you are at swimming, the more fresh you'll feel transitioning to the bike which will turn into a better bike split and often better run performance. I wouldn't count it out so much like he does unless your race goals match his.

2016-06-06 7:56 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Once a week really isn't going to cut it for an IM swim. In addition to that, if he's spending 80% of his time on the bike, how's his run going to pan out??

2016-06-06 8:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by AquaWolf One of my ironman triathlon friends is placing very little attention on the swim, saying to me that it's just a small fraction of the race. He does not strive to improve his stroke or get faster -- he just puts in a non-stop swim once a week. He spends 80% of his time on the bike. I'm trying to explain to him that the swim affects the race more than you might expect. Does anyone have any thoughts or scientific findings on this? Thank you!

I hear this all the time, "The swim is less than 10% of my Ironman race so I am not going to spend any more than 10% of my training time training for the swim."

The problem with that line of thinking is that if an athlete becomes anaerobic during an Ironman swim, which I guarantee you they will if they're swim training is along the lines of what your friend is doing, they will have sabotaged their entire day. First, they would be burning up critical glycogen stores while in the water - you can't replace glycogen stores during the event and they are going to be needed later in the day.  Your friend can talk to Julie Moss about what happens when the tank runs dry - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbWsQMabczM.  Next, heart rate is going to be elevated coming out of the water anaerobically.  Instead of high Z2, low Z3, HR will be into Z5.  It won't fully recover in transition so when the athlete starts the bike, they will be starting with a much higher HR than they are normally riding with - and it's going to stay high - meaning they will be using more glycogen than they would otherwise be using; further depleting their glycogen stores.  All of that combined is a recipe for a painful "run," more likely a death march during the marathon.

To avoid that and stay aerobic during the swim, an athlete should be swimming 1.5-2.0 times the race swim distance 3-4 time per week minimum.  For an Ironman, that means 6,300-8,400 yards, three to four times per week.  That works out to 18,900-33,600 yards per week.  Of course, they don't have too, and they can contemplate that mistake during their "run."

Edited by k9car363 2016-06-06 8:17 PM
2016-06-06 9:58 PM
in reply to: k9car363

Boy, I don't know guys. Once you get past the big gains when you first start swimming, the incremental gains from time spent in the pool are less than the gains from the same time spent in the other two sports. You can work your butt off to take 2-5 seconds off per hundred, but over the course of an IM, what is that really saving you percentage wise? If your goal is just to finish and you have some background in swimming, spending a ton of time on the bike isn't a bad idea. 112 miles can really wreck someone if they don't have the fitness for it. For a time crunched athlete looking to finish, I'd honestly put swim volume at the bottom. You need just enough form to get to the bike comfortably. If he can get that off one swim a week, good for him. I'd probably shoot for at least two.
2016-06-06 10:03 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by ziggie204

You need just enough form to get to the bike comfortably. If he can get that off one swim a week, good for him. I'd probably shoot for at least two.

I agree, unfortunately you need to train for this, especially those that are adult onset swimmers. The longer you are in the water the more energy you expend. It's not just about getting out of the water before the cut off, its about sending as little energy as you can on the swim so you can spend it on the bike/run, you know the other 90% of the race.
2016-06-07 1:16 AM

I suppose it depends on the athlete. their current swimming ability and the length of the race. I have a few friends that are good triathletes, but will never podium because their swimming is poor, but I don't think they realise that. They finish 10th so they work harder and harder on their ride and run. A mate got 4.25 in a recent 70.3, was hoping to qualify for worlds, but missed out. He did a 1.23 run split, but only a 36 swim split. Guys topping his age group were swimming 23, 24 mins. There's no way he's going to be able to drop 13 mins off his bike and run time without a massive amount of training. Yet if he put in a few more hours a week in the pool, had a bit of coaching he could easily drop 5, 6 mins off his swim. Sprints and OD these guys do even worse. Ironman is perhaps the only race where you could get away with being a poor swimmer and still do OK, even then you're still going to have to be not that far off the top guys, 10, 15 mins max.

2016-06-07 3:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

I think it's very individual. If he is normally out the water in the top 200 but struggles to finish in the top 1000 on the bike, then he is probably doing what is best for him.

Every one need to take their own journey, we are all different 

Last year I did something on the same lines- I only averaged 1 swim every 2 weeks - but spent the exrta time on the bike. It cost me 5mins or so on the swim - but I was almost an hour faster on the bike

Edited by WildWill 2016-06-07 3:29 AM
2016-06-07 3:34 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by ziggie204

You need just enough form to get to the bike comfortably. If he can get that off one swim a week, good for him. I'd probably shoot for at least two.

OP.......We're taking you literally - when you say ironman triathlete friends. Even still, the quoted portion is true, in my opinion.

I train with a girl who hardly ever swims. But, she has a very strong past in the sport and holds her own in HIM and IM distance swims. If someone were racing strictly sprints, I'd have very little reason (if they had a swim background) to advise them to spend much time in the water.

Edited by nc452010 2016-06-07 3:35 AM
2016-06-07 6:17 AM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
What is his goal? To be competitive his training isn't that smart... even the fact that he swims a non-stop set isn't a great thing.

If he swam a few times a week(2-3)... had some tempo, speed and some long sets sprinkled in there he'd be making a better investment of his time.

The swim is a small portion of the time but still important IMO. That said your friend has his mind made up more than likely... the rubber will hit the road on race day.
2016-06-07 7:49 AM
in reply to: xeon

Originally posted by xeon

What is his goal? To be competitive his training isn't that smart... even the fact that he swims a non-stop set isn't a great thing.

If he swam a few times a week(2-3)... had some tempo, speed and some long sets sprinkled in there he'd be making a better investment of his time.

The swim is a small portion of the time but still important IMO. That said your friend has his mind made up more than likely... the rubber will hit the road on race day.

I agree with this. I don't think one should just basically abandon training for the swim like this OP's friend seems to be doing. I understand training focus being the bike and run but that shouldn't mean a complete abandonment of the swim training. For me, an adult onset swimmer who is lucky to be MOP I still look to improve on the swim. I don't expect to be awesome on the swim but look for some time improvements but just as important I look to be fresh out of the water for the rest of the race.
2016-06-07 7:53 AM

Originally posted by AquaWolf

One of my ironman triathlon friends is placing very little attention on the swim, saying to me that it's just a small fraction of the race. He does not strive to improve his stroke or get faster -- he just puts in a non-stop swim once a week. He spends 80% of his time on the bike. I'm trying to explain to him that the swim affects the race more than you might expect. Does anyone have any thoughts or scientific findings on this? Thank you!

The old line is "you don't win the race during the swim, buy you CAN lose it during the swim".

Even if your friend is swimming a 50-52 he should be putting in more quality tkme in the pool than that simply for the benefits later in the race.

Coming from a strong swim background muself, I will freely admit that those are the workouts I skip the most, but for me that means I may do 3 instead of 4 a week, and I bet I'm doing more yardage, and more quality in each of those.

2016-06-07 7:56 AM
in reply to: k9car363

18,000+ yards a week in the pool?!? I guess it depends on your goals. I've only done 2 HIMs and will be doing my first IM next year. I can be certain I won't be swimming over 18,000 yards per week on any regular basis. Sure I won't be on the podium but that is a LOT of time per week in the pool.
2016-06-07 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

I haven't swam since IM Florida last year, I have Eagleman on Sunday... I'll let you know.

2016-06-07 9:16 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by Sous

I haven't swam since IM Florida last year, I have Eagleman on Sunday... I'll let you know.

You are my hero.

I'd love to be able to mimic this
2016-06-07 12:45 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by ziggie204 You need just enough form to get to the bike comfortably. If he can get that off one swim a week, good for him. I'd probably shoot for at least two.
I agree, unfortunately you need to train for this, especially those that are adult onset swimmers. The longer you are in the water the more energy you expend. It's not just about getting out of the water before the cut off, its about sending as little energy as you can on the swim so you can spend it on the bike/run, you know the other 90% of the race.

Yep.  The average AGer's goal regarding the swim leg in an IM should be to come out of the water feeling like they just did a warm up, and they're ready to take on the world.

For the OP, your friend doesn't know what they're talking about.  Ignore them, and keep training smart.

2016-06-07 12:56 PM

User image

I wish I could set a reminder or recording so I don't miss the recap on this.  Awesome !

Good luck.

2016-06-07 12:57 PM

Overall, agree with sentiments above.

BUT - if your friend is a lucky genetically-swim-gifted individual who responds very well to minimum training, they may be lucky enough to swim fine with 1x (or less) per week. The vast majority of us mortals cannot do this, but there are definitely a few who can.

Someone not too long ago posted a 'swim analysis' video on Slowtwitch - he was a new swimmer (1 year experience), swam about a total of 5k/week in 2 sessions, and had a video-form that looked not too far off from someone who just recently learned to 'swim for real' (meaning plenty of stroke errors, but overall flat in the water body position.)

His IM swim times (which he had completed recently) were 1:00. And despite his beginnerish form, his turnover and cadence was fast enough that it did look like he was of this ability. 

So there are folks who definitely can pull this off, but odds are we/you aren't one of them, or you'd know it already!

2016-06-07 1:00 PM

well if you were doing IM Chattanooga you could just float down on your back.
2016-06-07 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
I trained for my last ironman this way, 2 minute faster swim than when I was swimming 4 days a week, almost an hour faster than my previous fastest ironman
2016-06-07 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by nc452010

You are my hero. I'd love to be able to mimic this

Not a recommended training philosophy but it seems to be "par for the course" for me.  I'm not a very good swimmer and I know I need/should get better but I never do!  If you read most of race reports I always comment on needing to swim more.

Edited by Sous 2016-06-07 3:02 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is the swim really that important? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Is Data Analysis REALLY important to you? Pages: 1 2

Started by fisherman76
Views: 2132 Posts: 32

2014-10-05 9:07 AM TriMyBest

Is bike fit really that important? Pages: 1 2

Started by jmug23
Views: 6250 Posts: 42

2013-02-01 3:06 PM Quigley

OWS practice really *is* important

Started by Apotheosis
Views: 1680 Posts: 16

2010-06-21 4:38 PM faded_memories

Really really hungry after swimming? Pages: 1 2

Started by jessica71980
Views: 5530 Posts: 34

2010-01-23 9:46 PM SWIM2LIVE

Why the swim is important.... but not really,,,,,,,,,

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1661 Posts: 13

2007-04-27 9:14 AM chirunner134
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2015
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Over the last several years there has been increasing interest in, and use of, graded compression socks by athletes for training, racing, and recovery. Advertisements for these garments claim much.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.