Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-07 7:40 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: 6.7.16 Tuesday Training!

Good morning BT!

4:30am:  :50 minutes on trainer

5:30am:  lower body strength + core

So by the time I went up to shower the hives were noticeably worse.  Now, I don't know how many of you have ever stood in a classroom full of teenagers before, but I knew if I went to school looking like I did, all I'd hear would be "what's wrong with your face?!?!" So I opted for a sub on the last Monday of the school year and went to the clinic.  I got a big ol' steroid shot in the booty and prescription ointment and good to go.  The are still present, but waaaaaay better.  The eagle eyes some of my students may notice, but the majority won't. 

Ok question/advice time--I trust you people.  I have two questions:

1.  When I got to my run during Saturdays' race, my HR immediately spiked to 150 (152 is Z3 for me) I knew I had to drop it lower or I would gas out.  Try as I might, as slow as I could possibly run, I could only drop it to 148 for a few seconds and then it'd ramp right back up 150-151.  I soldiered on and had a miserably slow run.  The question I have is, would I have been better to stop and walk, let my heart rate settle, and then slowly get back to the run? I'm assuming the reason it spiked so early is because I started too fast--I will be correcting that for the next race June 25.  Which leads me to the next question.

2.  I have this week to continue training.  Next week I will be in San Antonio for a conference from Tuesday-Sunday. There is a nice fitness room so I know I'll take advantage of that.  The pool also looks to have a lap lane.  The biking will be non-existent next week depending on what they may have in the fitness room. The following week I'm home and then race Saturday.  I'm signed up for the Oly, but thinking about dropping to the sprint.  My thinking is I may lose some fitness due to that week in San Antonio.  Am I just wussing out of the Oly? Give me some straight talk, folks!

Race report from Daybreak will be up sometime this morning!

Have a great day!

Edited by ingleshteechur 2016-06-07 7:41 AM

2016-06-07 7:57 AM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: 6.7.16 Tuesday Training!

Good morning!

5:30 - LT intervals

HR stuff is so foreign to me - this is the first time my training has every incorporated it. Does nutrition play a role in regulating HR? Kim, you might consider checking some local bike shops in SA to see if they'll rent you a road bike or if they have training classes. Mellow Johnny's up here in Fort Worth has a program called Pedal Hard that is not a spin class. Something like that might help keep your fitness up. But, I am a bit skeptical that a relatively light week will have a significant impact on your fitness. Maybe you just focus more on the other stuff that week.

2016-06-07 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Up early here too due to long workout.

About 4:50 AM--1:05 trainer ride plus getting off and doing a bunch of squats and lunges. Supposed to give me a power butt, I guess! More like a sore butt! (Although not as sore as last week--that could change after tomorrow's FTP intervals.)

4:30 PM--Easy 45 minute run around school fields in light rain--very pleasant.

I do a lot of my run training with heart rate. (Well, I did before my Garmin run watch dorked out--need a new one. The distance/pace function only works about 20% of the time and I've been keeping it on with a twist tie since the strap broke!) The problem with HR is that a lot of variables affect it. Racing HR is almost always higher than training HR at the same effort level, probably due to adrenaline. Then there's the effects of caffeine (small but real), hydration levels (big), and heat (huge). My HR will often be 10 BPM higher at the same pace/effort level than when doing it at home in Oregon (where it's probably 20-30 degrees cooler.) I've also had situations, particularly on brick runs, where I'm supposed to stay in Zone 2 and it just won't stop drifting into Z3. For me at least, in that situation, walking will make it come down, but as soon as I start running, even at a slow jog, it goes right back up to low Z3. I'm just hot (thus the username!), and there's nothing to be done about it. If it's not life-threatening, I usually just keep running at a slower pace. If I walk, it will just take me longer to get home to the AC! My coach has also said to "tolerate" a slightly higher heart rate when training in extreme heat--unless you actually feel serious discomfort, there's no need to stop and walk just to get your HR in range.

In a race, honestly, I wouldn't care what my HR was doing. I never race with HR, because there are too many variables and I don't want to use it to hold myself back when I could go faster. But I have years and years of experience in pacing the run by effort in different conditions (though still occasionally screw up)--HR might be a valuable guide for someone who doesn't.
2016-06-07 10:43 AM
in reply to: #5185699

User image

One hour trail run this morning, nice relaxing pace, best way to wake up!

2016-06-07 7:08 PM

User image

This afternoon was swim day, not just for me, but it seems like the whole town was there. As a result I only got in about 1200 yards, 100 yards at a time. Every third one I did either a medley or breaststroke though. My butterfly feels good until I try to do more than a 50....

Since my workout got abruptly shortened (I forgot about the aquacize class that starts at 5:15), I didn't get a cooldown. So when I got home, I hopped on the old Schwinn 3 speed and rode a few miles each way to Walgreens to pick up a few items. It ended up being a bit over 4 miles roundtrip at a nice easy pace.

In a few weeks the triathlon I am going to do (as my first one) is going to start offering open water swim sessions so I only have to deal with this less than perfect lap swimming for a little while longer.

J White
2016-06-07 9:05 PM
in reply to: Jwse30

User image

I rode for 55 minutes and did intervals.

I agree with HR race HR is higher. I train with HR and adjust for races knowing its going to spike.

I would go ahead and do the oly. You have been training and are probably in better shape than you realize. Also the heat and humidity in San Antonio will keep you in shape. Jamie might even know some good areas to run since you will be in his neck of the woods.

BTW Naked cannon balls are the norm in Texas!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 6.7.16 Tuesday Training! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

12.13.11 Tuesday Training

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 1874 Posts: 15

2011-12-14 2:25 AM BrianRunsPhilly

11.29.11 Tuesday Training!

Views: 1778 Posts: 18

2011-11-29 10:35 PM falconsprint63

11.15.11 Tuesday Training!

Views: 1805 Posts: 23

2011-11-16 8:13 PM netzer0

7.26.2011 Tuesday's Training

Started by cdban66
Views: 1848 Posts: 20

2011-07-26 7:59 PM miyutris

Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday! Oct 26th Pages: 1 2

Started by Motivated
Views: 2909 Posts: 28

2004-10-26 10:36 PM HookedOnTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone
date : July 28, 2011
author : NiceTriCoaching
comments : 1
If you're training your swim, bike and run, you're almost halfway there! This article explores what most athletes miss, and how to integrate it into your training plan.

date : June 6, 2011
author : JorgeM
comments : 1
Article explaining simple training concepts important for any endurance program
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season