World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 26m 28s
Overall Rank = 1387/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 169/
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 3:20am to make sure i would have time to eat some breakfast and hopefully get out a pre-race bathroom break. It was hard to eat that early, plus with the nerves. I had a slice of bread with peanut butter and sliced banana and some water to wash it down. Looking back I obviously see how that little amount of food did not help my overall performance. I was able to hop in the lake 20 minutes before my wave and swim just a bit, and then it was go time.
Event warmup:

Just a few minutes of wading in the water, and then off to the start line.
Swim
  • 53m 59s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

The goal here was to survive and advance. I had pulled out of an open water race weeks before due to anxiety, so to finish was a win. I was very thrilled to have come in under an hour, and felt great out of the water, not feeling gassed at all. Speed was not a concern here.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I felt good and would do it about the same. I realize the times aren't fast, but this being my first 1.2 mile swim in open water, I was very happy with the performance.
Transition 1
  • 05m 8s
Comments:

I was not too concerned with speed, as i wanted to make sure i was comfortable and ready to settle in.

Not a whole lot. I stopped for sunblock, but would do it again because it got hot out there.
Bike
  • 3h 18m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I probably didn't properly prepare for the bike, though I did stick to my training schedule fairly close. I overcooked it a bit on the front end, and that led to problems in the end. Once the hills started in the last 3rd of the leg, it was trouble. Although my total bike split was right around where I wanted to be, I may have set that goal too high for this course.

I would have done longer rides in my training, and taken in more nutrition. I had plenty of time in the early part of the ride to eat and drink more, and I should have. I never would have guess how I would feel coming off the bike.
Transition 2
  • 07m 51s
Comments:

My T2 was slow because I was fairly gassed at this point. I took my time walking it in, as well as putting on my shoes and getting an extra drink. And then I walked out.

I couldn't have done much better given the way I was feeling at this point. Differently? I would have trained more on the bike.
Run
  • 3h 01m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

There wasn't much running at this point. The heat was coming down, and my body was shelled. I jog/walked the entire run portion, which was disappointing because I come from more of a running background than anything, and I wasn't able to give myself a chance here. So I did what I could just to finish the race.

I just needed a little more training under my belt. Again, I believe it all went back to the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

There wasn't much of a warm down. I grabbed a water and a banana, and embraced my family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The bike. I needed either a flatter course or more bike fitness. I also should have eaten more and taken in more calories along the way.

Event comments:

I thought the city did a great job of supporting the race, and the race itself was very well organized. This race could be a disaster logistically, but they really have it down. I would do this race again.

Last updated: 2016-02-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:59 | 2112 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 148/
Overall: 1263/
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: It's a one loop triangle, almost equidistant on all sides.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:18:15 | 56 miles | 16.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 164/
Overall: 1284/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 56 mile point to point with rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 07:51
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
03:01:15 | 13.1 miles | 13m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 169/
Overall: 1387/
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loops of a little more than 6.2 miles per loop. Going out is steadily uphill, coming back is steadily downhill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-06-08 4:27 PM

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Raleigh
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Raleigh Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by soccerpmw15
Views: 1578 Posts: 7

2014-06-03 3:08 PM enders_shadow

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by La Tortuga
Views: 1207 Posts: 1

2013-06-03 9:16 AM La Tortuga

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by WoodrowCall
Views: 1862 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 11:12 PM Chunga

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by matthewwise
Views: 1513 Posts: 3

2013-06-03 5:40 PM tarheeltri

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

Started by tarheeltri
Views: 1436 Posts: 4

2013-06-03 5:24 PM tarheeltri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.