Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 12m 39s
Overall Rank = 172/307
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/18
Pre-race routine:

Up at 04:45, FAGE Greek yogurt with walnuts and craisins, half a bottle of Starbucks Frappucino (due to no other coffee options), part of a bagel. Shower, mix Infinit - 2 packets into one bottle for a concentrate, pack car and off by 06:10.
Set up transition, have front bike breaks checked for rubbing (grass was wet and debris was stuck in there).
Event warmup:

Had time for a short swim - 4th one in the new wetsuit. Water is the usual dark tea color and only slightly better visibility than last year.
Swim
  • 44m 19s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a good swim for me today. Using a new wetsuit and this was my 4th swim in it, 3rd in open water. The suit actually didn't feel bad but I just felt like I had no power. They had all women go off together and there were a lot of us so there was a lot of jostling and bumping, someone grabbed my leg and pulled me. My legs were swam over on multiple occasions. I kept trying to get around this one girl who kept zigzagging in front of me. Rounding the buoys went well, no problem there. Heading back into the sun I was thankful for tinted goggles. I caught a wave and inhaled a lot of water causing me to pull up hacking (never happened to me before); my lungs were burning and would burn for the rest of the day.
This swim was 3 minutes slower than last year's swim which was frustrating as I'm putting in a whole lot more yardage this year than last.
What would you do differently?:

I need a few more ows under my belt in the new suit to help build confidence in using it. Maybe some speed work in open water would help. The distance isn't the issue, navigating people and maintaining speed is what I need to work on.
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

Left wrist got caught on my 920 watch, it took a while to pull it off, also both ankles got caught. I did use Bodyglide. Suit is just new and tight, it'll come.
T1 took a while because they held us to let cars go before letting us cross the street. I probably lost at least 30 seconds standing there. We had quite a queue by the time they let us across.
Oh, and as I ran the bike across the grass it started to get away from me and fall as i ran through a swale, I caught it - need to control that.

work on getting the wetsuit off, other than that and the bike starting to fall over after going through the dip in the grass. I was pretty happy. I'd love to know what my time would have been if I didn't have to wait for traffic.
Bike
  • 3h 15m 33s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.18 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a test of a few things - new/different bike, new helmet, new nutrition that I've tried a few times. Generally I was pretty happy with my hydration and food on the way out to the turn-around. I had probably 1/3 of my Infinit, most of my aero bottle of water and most of one honey stinger waffle. On the way back, not nearly enough. I refilled my aero bottle at the turn-around on the fly and noticed I still had half by the time I got back, also had only taken a few more sips of my Infinit and tried another bite of waffle. I did practice opening my Base Salts container I had taped to the side of my bike and wet a finger, stuck it in and ate it. I definitely need to hydrate more - always been my nemesis.
The other think I was wondering about was my back and how it would hold up. Much of the way back in I was tightening up - to the point I would have to stand up or sit upright in the saddle. I was quite convinced I wouldn't be able to do the run, my back was shot and the pain was enough to make me feel almost dizzy.
You could really feel the heat of the sun over the last 1/4 of the bike in particular. I could feel the backs of my shoulders baking.

I'm thinking I should raise my handlebars/aerobars up to take some pressure off my lower back and neck. It is currently set to the lowest, most aggressive position and it's fine on short distances but not long.
I will have to give the bike a below average due to the back. I know I could have gone faster if I hadn't been standing up a few times or sitting up on some flats.
It actually paid off for me later as it saved some energy for the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

I can usually do a T2 in under a minute for an Oly or Sprint. With the HIM I decided to wear socks so that took some time to get them on - I'm glad I wore them though with the heat. I also have lock laces which i normally love but they changed the style from a bungy type thing to more of a flat lace with only a little stretch to them - I don't like them at all and will try to find the older version. It was a bit harder to get them on. I forgot to put baby powder in both my running shoes and bike shoes. I also took a bit to try and stretch my back - I could barely get off the bike and walk in. So this was a longer T2 but that's okay, again, it's a training race and I'm learning new things and trying different things out and that's what it's all about.

Not have my back hurt. hahaha. Also baby powder my shoes and go back to the other laces which were awesome; and DEFINITELY get spray on sunscreen!!!!! I coooooooked on the run!! That will be huge next time - spray on sunscreen!!
Run
  • 2h 07m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

So I did the run despite my back knowing I could drop at any time. No worries. The back actually loosened up a bit and I felt pretty good so I pressed on! Generally I felt pretty good for it being so hot and that the first two miles were up hill (that was tough). I stuck with my run a mile/walk a minute plan due to the heat and my back. It was working well - my runs were 8:35 and at one point I had to reign it in as I got down to 8:05 - too hot for that. I started putting ice in my shirt around mile 4 - a lifesaver. I passed a lot of people who were having major issues with the heat. I was carrying a vial of Base Salts and offered them to anyone who was having issues. Around miles 9 and 10 there were a few more short hills that I timed it to walk up them to conserve energy.
I did eat a half banana at mile 2 and sipped water at every aid station

Frankly with the heat and the fact that I hadn't run over 10.5 miles yet in training I was pretty happy with a 2:07 half marathon. I haven't run that far in two years due to knee and back issues.
Not let those 2 from my age group pass me with 2 miles to go. hahaha
Post race
Warm down:

water and shade. I got very, very sunburned on the back of my shoulders. My stomach wasn't quite right but I didn't feel horrible, just didn't want to eat right away - finally had a half banana about 45 minutes later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a training race to help prep for IMMT in which I was testing out a few new things over a long distance. I learned a ton about a lot of things and that I can handle the heat if managed properly. I do need to hydrate and fuel more on the bike - I think I let the hills prevent me from doing that and then on the flats I just wanted to go fast. This just takes practice. The run I was happy with, less so with the swim and bike.
I did have a bike crash last Monday so I was still sore from that and a bad, panicked swim on Wednesday so that may have played into my swim issues as well.

Event comments:

I did the Aquabike there last year and the HIM there this year and the numbers were up 30% from last year! I didn't do the run last year so I don't know if there were changes in terms of the aid stations, but i was very happy with the offerings they had. They also have a new bike path for part of the run which I felt was nice - had crushed gravel, nicer on the legs. The volunteers are lovely and I tried to thank every one of them along with the police officers. Post race they have a chicken dinner (I had it last year but couldn't stomach anything this year), they give out plaques to the top 3 in each age group. It's a really nice sort of grass-roots triathlon with Sprint, Oly, Relay, Aquabike, and HIM offerings (Oly was new this year). They've done a good job with trying to keep the prices reasonable and offer good support. It is a good, tough course and humbles me every time. There are not many spectators so it's a good mental strength building race. Cheer yourself on! Well done, Toughman.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:19 | 2112 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 81/18
Overall: 0/307
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blueseventy Helix
Course: clockwise rectangle coming back into the sun
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:49
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:15:33 | 56 miles | 17.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/18
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back, open course, rolling with a few good hills in there. probably 5 aid stations on the course with bananas, gatorade, and water.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:57
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:07:03 | 13.1 miles | 09m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/18
Performance: Good
Course: a few good hills, mainly in the beginning, out and back on one segment then around mile 5 you join a bike path for a couple of miles, through a neighborhood to a turn around, back through neighborhood, back on bike path, across a baseball field to finish. Aid stations were approximately every mile (only mile 8 was missing I believe) and had powerade, water, ice, oranges, and bananas. A couple of aid stations had Coke. I was very happy with the amount of aid stations and products offered particularly on such a hot day.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-06-28 12:37 PM

User image

, Vermont
Subject: TOUGHMAN Tupper Lake Tinman

2016-06-29 7:39 AM
in reply to: #5188873

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: TOUGHMAN Tupper Lake Tinman

Great race report and a really well-executed race.  Pretty amazing you got through the whole thing after the water-inhaling thing.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TOUGHMAN Tupper Lake Tinman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TOUGHMAN Tupper Lake Tinman

Started by dexter
Views: 1196 Posts: 3

2016-06-27 7:30 PM QueenZipp

Toughman Tupper Lake Aquabike

Started by aviatrix802
Views: 1301 Posts: 1

2015-06-30 11:34 AM aviatrix802

Started by Jayabusa
Views: 945 Posts: 1

2015-06-29 11:06 AM Jayabusa

Started by dexter
Views: 1568 Posts: 3

2014-07-04 4:08 PM QueenZipp

Tupper Lake Tinman Triathlon - 1/2 Tinman

Started by Kam32
Views: 3323 Posts: 6

2007-07-08 9:19 PM Ridgelake
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.
date : July 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
I have Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I was looking into renting Zipp 303's or 404's for race day for Ironman Lake Placid. What time will I save?

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.