St. Charles, Missouri
United States
80F / 27C
Total Time = 2h 39m 17s
Overall Rank = 252/267
Age Group = F50-54
Age Group Rank = 8/8
Pre-race routine:

Practice swim on Saturday before volunteering at the kid's race, then an easy bike ride after. Spent the rest of the day relaxing and packing stuff up for Sunday. Got everything in the car Saturday night so I could have an easy morning. I always have trouble eating early in the morning (even more so on race days), but I made a bagel with peanut butter and took it along on the drive over.
Event warmup:

No real warm-up, just back and forth to the car a couple of times for things I forgot.
Swim
  • 29m 49s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'm a slow swimmer. I knew my time would be about 30 min, so no surprise there. The start was a time trial with 1 swimmer going off every 3 seconds. I started a little farther up than I normally do since I knew it would take me a while. Worked out OK though, I was only passed by maybe 12-15 people. Being in a lake (as compared to a pool), there's a little more room to spread out. My sighting is improving, I actually managed to pretty much stay on course.
What would you do differently?:

I need to spend more time swimming. I can complete the distance pretty easily, I'm just really slow doing it.
Transition 1
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

T1 is always slow for me so nothing new here. I could probably take some time off if I practiced transitions a little more often.

Move a little faster.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 40s
  • 20 miles
  • 15.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Very happy with this bike split. I felt really good until we hit the headwinds on the way back. My pace slowed down quite a bit and I had to drop into the middle chain ring (I have a triple) for the last 5 miles or so. I've been trying to spend a lot of time on my bike lately and I feel like I'm making improvements. I'm still pretty slow compared to most, but I got off the bike feeling good.

I don't know that I would do anything differently. For my ability right now, this was a good ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

T2 is always faster for me. I got the bike racked, helmet off, shoes changed (love the lock laces I recently switched to for my shoes - no more tying my laces!), grabbed my water bottle, number belt and hat and put those on as I was leaving transition.

I have T2 down pretty well - just need to move a little faster.
Run
  • 46m 54s
  • 4 miles
  • 11m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Two loops through New Town. Started off walking for the first 1/4-1/3 mile. My legs felt good, just needed to switch mentally from riding to running and wanted to get my breathing/heart rate settled in. After that, I did a run/walk with more running on the second loop. The New Town residents are really great about supporting this race. A lot of them will have sprinklers set up for racers to run through. It felt good even though the temps weren't bad (not stupid hot like it usually is for this race). I was kind of surprised when I saw my run pace - sub-12 average for me is really good.

Nothing - this really went well.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water, some food, packed up my stuff then headed over to watch some of my teammates get their awards.

Event comments:

This is always a great race - well run and well attended. This was my first attempt at the long course and it went well. I would recommend this race to anyone. The kid's race on Saturday is always a lot of fun too.

Last updated: 2016-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:49 | 1000 meters | 02m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 8/267
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: One lap around the perimeter of New Town lake.
Start type: Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:40 | 20 miles | 15.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/8
Wind: Some
Course: Pancake flat course out of New Town and into the farmlands of northern St Charles County.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:54 | 04 miles | 11m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/8
Course: 2 loops through New Town
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-07-11 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: Big Shark New Town Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Shark New Town Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Big Shark New Town Triathlon

Started by Devilsdlg
Views: 928 Posts: 1

2013-07-15 9:57 AM Devilsdlg

Started by Wog
Views: 988 Posts: 1

2012-07-22 10:05 PM Wog

Started by CycloneVM
Views: 1198 Posts: 1

2012-07-16 7:50 AM CycloneVM

Started by ransick
Views: 1683 Posts: 3

2010-07-16 4:11 PM nevergivin

Started by jcash683
Views: 1363 Posts: 3

2009-07-28 8:25 AM Slahmmer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : December 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on swimming faster, sinking during the shark fin drill, benefit of a wetsuit and breathing exercises to help swimming.
date : January 22, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re adding in a bit of sprinting/anaerobic work.

date : January 3, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
All-around body strengthening and conditioning, in short, will make the athlete stronger from head to toe to push bigger gears and to apply more power in your swim stroke.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?

date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was talking to this guy I work with who's son does tri's and he says that fish and sharks "NIP" at you while you are swimming." Okay so now I am freaked out.