Laffayette Fitness
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 50m 8s
Overall Rank = 216/365
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 34/60
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0445 and ate some waffles and drank some coffee. Truck was loaded up the night before and ready to go... but I needed to get there in time to get my packet. I was actually on the road to Lafayette on Saturday to pick it up and I had too many other things to do so I scrapped the trip.

I got to the race and had to park waaaaay out. A BIG thanks to Angel (mamabear) for helping me get my packet, bodymarked, and pointing me in the right directions. I cut it really close and probably wouldn't have made it with as much time as I did without her help.

Event warmup:

No warm-up. Light stretching is all.
Swim
  • 18m 5s
  • 805 meters
  • 02m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

I wore an underarmor shirt for the swim. This was a first time thing for me but I wanted to have it on because I was also going to try the Camelback and knew I wouldn't be able to get in on after I was wet.

Also, my plan was to really not push the swim. I haven't spent much time in the pool and I didn't want to blow up from the swim.

I ALWAYS seem to feel my timing chip loosen while I am swimming and I get nervous it is going to come off. This time was no different. Next time I am going to use electrical tape to give me some piece of mind. I stopped, treaded water for a good 10 seconds trying to tighten it.

I got out of the water feeling really good. I was able to run/jog all the way to my bike without a huge spike in my HR. No dizziness or anything.
What would you do differently?:

Tape my chip so I know it isn't going to come off.

My sighting was pretty good. There was a huge draft rounding the first bouy which I noticed because I was messing with my chip and I was getting pushed along :)

Transition 1
  • 04m 35s
Comments:

This was a long and painful transition. I would guess it was over 100 yards but it was over a road full of pebbles. My feet aren't used to that. But I survived. I also had a little trouble with the straps on my camelbak. They were twisted and I couldn't get it untwisted for a minute.

Just smooth out the camelbak set up. But it worked really great. I probably won't use bottles for any more races (and this includes the aerobottle).

Bike
  • 58m 3s
  • 20 miles
  • 20.67 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my best bike ever. I am getting really comfortable on the tri-bike. Dialing in what works best for me (position, hydration, climbs, jumps etc....)

When I passed someone I passed strong. Only one person that I had passed , re-passed me.

A 20+mph average is a goal that only now seems like a reality.... especially if I want to be able to run the entire run.

There were some areas that had imperceiveable inclines that had me looking at my tires to see if I had a flat. I just got up out of the saddle for anthing that was slowing me under 19.

Absolutely nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

This was a smooth transition. Nothing majorly out of the ordinary to state.

Nothing
Run
  • 27m 37s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I had high hope for the run. I have been trying to increase my mental toughness so I can run through some uncomfortablness. The bike had went well and I felt pretty good heading out to run.

The day had been overcast but the sun finally broke through and was beating down making me pretty hot by the turn around.

3 or 4 people in my age group passed me on the run and I tried to catch them on the way back in but just couldn't muster speed.

This is my fasted 5k in a race ever. I didn't walk any. I did draft off a 55 yo age grouper for about half a mile and it really helped me mentally before I passed him.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water and powerade

What limited your ability to perform faster:

this was a solid performance.

Event comments:

This race gets my highest rating. This race course was better than MiM. I also like the size (350ish). Not to big but not to small.

I am really glad to have a "good" triathlon. Most of the time something goes wrong or just doesn't workout. But this time things went well. I will probably now have 3 races of problems but it's races like this one tht get me excited about racing.

This was my best race ever. I was firmly in the middle of the pack. 34/60. While I think it is a fluke for me to place that high it sure is nice to see.

Last updated: 2006-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:05 | 805 meters | 02m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 40/60
Overall: 0/365
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: Point to point but there were bouys to be navigated.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:35
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:58:03 | 20 miles | 20.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/60
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: This was a pretty flat course with several turns but none were in the middle of the road (like when you have to go around a cone).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:37 | 03.1 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/60
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, out and back, with one change in elevation (about the same category of a levee).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-10 10:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
Subject: CajunMan Triathlon

2006-09-11 4:20 AM
in reply to: #535937

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: CajunMan Triathlon
Nice solid race, great bike! Sounds like you had a load of fun.
2006-09-11 5:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana
Congratulations!!!Innocent  Great times for all 3 parts of this race.  I am proud of you.  It is a FUN race.  Glad  I could help. 
2006-09-13 2:27 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Sounds like a breakthrough race, superbike man.
2006-09-13 2:36 PM

User image

Champion
Nice race, Matt.  Hope you semi-behaved yourself.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CajunMan Triathlon Rss Feed