Metasport
88F / 31C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m 50s
Overall Rank = 85/930
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/?
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30, two granola bars and coffee for breakfast, got stuff together and walked/rode to start. (About ten minutes walk and ten minutes cycle down MUP in East Coast Park.) Took care of packet pickup, transition set-up, body marking, etc. Having some minor bike issues related (not surprisingly) to loose screws, so took care of that at bike mechanic.
Event warmup:

About 9 minutes of easy running with a few strides. Maybe 4-5 minutes of swimming. That was all I had time for as in the first wave at 8 AM and venue did not open until 7.
Swim
  • 16m 11s
  • 900 meters
  • 01m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

Kind of a wild swim. Mostly teenagers (16-19) in elite wave; many are very strong swimmers as they swim with HS and college or club teams. Really got caught up in the "fight" at the start. Swam over multiple times; I swam over a few girls as well. Not as serious as it sounds as I am bigger than most Singaporean teens. (One reason I like racing in SE Asia--my 115 pound self is "big" or at least "average" size here!) My goggles came off at one point and had to stop to adjust them. I got into the clear by the first turn buoy and then spent the race with me, myself, and I. Unclear at the time if I was ahead of most, or behind most. Actually was 7th out of 23 women in that wave, so I guess ahead of most.
What would you do differently?:

Not swim into a kayak while headed back to shore on the first half of the M! Actually the kayak and I just kind of got washed into each other. The kayak person told me to head left and I started to do that, then realised that didn't make sense--she must have just meant to left around the kayak because of the current. I corrected myself and started to go diagonal to right again. Crazy sighting--high waves and very wide "lanes" on the M. It's designed like that as some AG waves are huge. But I hardly saw any other swimmers after first leg of the "M".
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Just seemed slow. Not sure why it took so long. My legs felt dead--I think I just wasn't running fast. Plus a little hard to get on socks with muddy feet.

Hurry up? I just had trouble with running today--legs wouldn't move very fast--in transition or on the run!
Bike
  • 32m 14s
  • 18 kms
  • 33.51 km/hr
Comments:

Felt hard but strong the whole way; out-biked a lot of women who normally out-bike me. This is the best I have ever placed on the bike in a Singapore race, and the only time in any race (I think) that I have topped my AG on the bike. But probably over-biked it for my current fitness and (lack of) freshness. It felt good at the time!

Not sure. Maybe pace a bit less optimistically? I really gave it my best effort; was more aggressive than last year on what is a pretty technical course, due to a lot of tight turns.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Missed my spot by about five meters and had to go back (several people had bright orange Kinvaras--grrr... I bought that color because I wanted to be able to pick them out of the crowd! )Other than that, okay, Just not sure what I was doing for that long. Again, running--just wasn't happening at any speed.

Run faster? Mark spot with balloon??
Run
  • 22m 39s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 32s  min/km
Comments:

'Nother year, 'Nother suck-fest! I never seem to get this race right. Either the ride sucks and the run is great, or vice versa. (For past three years has been strong ride, suck run.) Just. No. Juice. Felt good cardio-wise, nothing cramped or hurt, my legs just wouldn't move. Just felt like jelly the whole way. Never felt like I was really running, much less racing.

???? I think a fatigue and/or maybe a fitness issue. I have the fitness to push big gears now and lead my AG on the bike, but maybe not the fitness (and/or freshness) to run well off of it, at least at sprint distance/power.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, got a short massage, bought something at the expo. Then got bike, transition stuff, and bag, and rode back to the hotel. Not much time, as I had to take an earlier flight than usual.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Legs just dead for run. I noticed this Saturday even walking up stairs, and on the warmup. Nothing hurt, nothing cramped, and I felt strong on bike. Just no snap. Deep fatigue in glutes and quads. They'd been feeling very fatigued since a hard run Thursday PM. Really think I should have skipped that--a combo of doing the run in the heat and then being a my feet a long time Friday may have just sapped my run legs, and Saturday wasn't enough recovery. Maybe should have gone with my instincts and just taken Saturday off or super-easy and super-short. (I had jokingly told my coach I wanted to stay in bed all day!)

Event comments:

Usual strong organisation; no complaints. Can be difficult logistically for non-Singaporeans due to regulations about no bikes on hotel shuttle buses, which makes bike transport expensive, and long delay between the race and awards--the event is HUGE with tons of waves and youth distances as well as sprint.

Last updated: 2017-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:11 | 900 meters | 01m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/?
Overall: 85/930
Performance: Good
Roughly equal splits for each of two laps.
Suit: Catfish Designs Onesie
Course: M shape staring from bottom right, out and back twice with short run around cone on beach between laps. Current (onshore plus a little northward) picked up a lot right as warmup ended, which is to my advantage--I seem to place better in rougher conditions.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 30C / 86F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:14 | 18 kms | 33.51 km/hr
Age Group: 1/?
Overall: 161/930
Performance: Good
Average power and normalized power 171. Not pleased--my goal was 180-190. But felt like I biked hard, and over a minute faster than last year. (Given the run, maybe I biked too hard!)
Wind: Some
Course: Three loops with several tight 90 and 180 degree turns, about half on a fairly narrow MUP and half on East Coast Road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:39 | 05 kms | 04m 32s  min/km
Age Group: 2/?
Overall: 119/930
Performance: Bad
Didn't notice. Too miserable to check splits.
Course: Two loops, some shade, a few small inclines but mostly flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2017-04-23 8:42 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Metasprint Triathlon

2017-04-24 9:48 AM
in reply to: #5218950

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Metasprint Triathlon

Congrats on such a strong bike and surviving the melee that was the swim!  Sorry to hear your legs weren't cooperating on the run but 2nd AG is still a very good result!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Metasprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Zoom Triathlon #3 at Hueston Woods Intermediate Triathlon

Started by tibibacsi
Views: 1033 Posts: 1

2016-08-15 9:06 AM tibibacsi

Zoom Triathlon #2 at Buck Creek Intermediate Triathlon

Started by tibibacsi
Views: 979 Posts: 1

2016-08-02 12:38 PM tibibacsi