General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-10-30 7:11 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Winter Training

What is everyone doing for the off-season?  November - February is when I take breaks from cycling outside or OWS'.  I am not sure what to do this winter to keep motivated.  I need some ideas/inspiration for the rest of you.

2017-10-30 7:55 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Winter Training

Typically I focus on SOMETHING, while reducing overall volume.  2014 was run focused, 2015 was a very big bike focus (almost all on the trainer), 2016 was kinda all over the place because of my job, moving, and then 2017 was "recover from back surgery".  LOL

This winter will be getting back to running and a focus on strength and core training, hoping to hit 2018 healthy-ish.

2017-10-30 9:02 AM

I've been looking at winter trail ultramarathons. They are ridiculously cheap compared to triathlons or even regular big marathons these days (the ones I've checked out are usually $30-75), and fairly well scattered around geographically. If you need a focus, knowing you have to be together enough to run 50 or 100 miles the second weekend in January might focus you.
2017-10-30 9:53 PM
in reply to: d.rock90

User image

Cypress, Texas

So...if my goals for 2018 is to take another 30 minutes off my 70.3 race what approach is going to help me the most?  Building volume (i.e. training for a 100 mile trail run) or choose a focus area to work on 3-4 times a week while dropping my over all volume and going down to just 2 days a week in the other two areas?

Hmm? Build the base in the offseason or do speed work in the off season? 

2017-10-31 3:25 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I could use some inspiration too. As things look now, I plan to:

* Focus on running.
* Swim less (I really hate the pool. Too crowded in the evenings and I can't swim at 6 am (can't do anything at 6am) and only have limited time during the day).
* Ride my road bike at the weekends until the first snow falls then will switch to mountain bike. Avoid riding Indoors as much as possible (I don't even have a trainer, my Indoor rides are at the gym)
*Reduce overall volume and have 2 days off a week without feeling bad about it.
*Get some cross country skiing in if we do get enough snow
*Ice skating (either on the lake, weather permitting or at the ice rink)

That's the plan!

2017-10-31 4:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl I could use some inspiration too. As things look now, I plan to: * Focus on running. * Swim less (I really hate the pool. Too crowded in the evenings and I can't swim at 6 am (can't do anything at 6am) and only have limited time during the day). * Ride my road bike at the weekends until the first snow falls then will switch to mountain bike. Avoid riding Indoors as much as possible (I don't even have a trainer, my Indoor rides are at the gym) *Reduce overall volume and have 2 days off a week without feeling bad about it. *Get some cross country skiing in if we do get enough snow *Ice skating (either on the lake, weather permitting or at the ice rink) That's the plan!

That "2 days off a week without feeling bad about it" is a tough pill to swallow for many triathletes, but many could really benefit from it.  While my off-season plan only has 1 day off, I PROMISE I'm not going to have nervous breakdown if life/schedules/fatigue get in the way and I miss a day.  

EDITED:  That should read "1 day off per week". 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2017-10-31 4:46 AM

2017-10-31 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

So...if my goals for 2018 is to take another 30 minutes off my 70.3 race what approach is going to help me the most?  Building volume (i.e. training for a 100 mile trail run) or choose a focus area to work on 3-4 times a week while dropping my over all volume and going down to just 2 days a week in the other two areas?

I think it really depends on where your area for improvement lie.

For example, if the swim is your weakness, that is something you want to address early as it takes time.
If you feel you need top end run speed, I would be building run volume to build a base on which to layer on some run speed later on.
If your feel your FTP isn't where it should be I would be working on the shorter duration stuff now and move to the right of my CP curve.
If you feel your bike endurance isn't where it should be, I would probably work some strength.

Then there is all the stuff such as core strength, bike position, weight......that can be worked on in the off season

2017-10-31 11:46 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I think it really depends on where your area for improvement lie. For example, if the swim is your weakness, that is something you want to address early as it takes time. If you feel you need top end run speed, I would be building run volume to build a base on which to layer on some run speed later on. If your feel your FTP isn't where it should be I would be working on the shorter duration stuff now and move to the right of my CP curve. If you feel your bike endurance isn't where it should be, I would probably work some strength. Then there is all the stuff such as core strength, bike position, weight......that can be worked on in the off season

^^^This^^^

Plus, take a hard and honest look at your past 70.3's (or better yet, have someone knowledgeable look at them) regarding how well you executed them.  Do you have a tendency to over bike, then under perform on the run. (This one should be really obvious.)  Do you tend to over swim, impacting your run performance? (This one is usually less obvious.)  Do you give up minutes through inefficient transitions?  These all indicate areas where you could likely gain a lot of time just by executing the race better, even at the same fitness level.

During this analysis, you can also drill down into the data to answer some of Marc's questions above that may not be completely obvious.  A straightforward example:  Is there a trend of one of the 3 disciplines being significantly out of line with the other two as a percentile of finish place overall?   A less obvious example:  assuming your swim is good (decent pace relative to T-pace), bike is solid (healthy FTP / kg and good pacing as % of FTP), but your run starts strong then slowly fades to the point that your final run time is more than 10% slower than your open HM time, but you never completely blow up, that can imply more biking and running volume would help you.

In most cases, I wouldn't try to get 30 minutes all from one place.  Instead, I'd look at everything, and try to trim time anywhere it's available.  10 minutes from better race execution + 3 minutes from better transitions + 3 minutes from a more aero bike set up + 10 minutes from a stronger bike + 5 minutes from a stronger run = 31 minutes.  For most athletes, that's easier to achieve than 20 minutes off the bike and 10 minutes off the run.

2017-11-02 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I'm coming back from injury, so probably now through the end of the month I'll be on the trainer and in the pool prepping to begin training later.  But I plan to spend a lot of quality time with TrainerRoad later.  On Zwift now just for riding.

But as for motivation, try to set process goals like bumping your FTP, or running for a month straight or something.  Pick some winter/spring 5ks to give you something to think about.  But mainly, it's about the process right now.

2017-11-02 1:26 PM

User image

I live in sorta snowy Canada, really there's only snow on the ground for 2 months. I'll do some trail running, snowshoeing, cross country skiing to mix it up. Here on the east coast the surf is the best in the winter, so when the waves are up I hit the water.......in 5mm neoprene.

Mind you I'm coming off a big break from triathlon, so this winter will be more focused getting my arse back in shape, although I have no problems substituting a run, or bike for a snowshoe run or x/c ski.
2017-11-07 5:58 PM
in reply to: trigeek1969

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Good question. I'm reading about all the ways to get ready for spring training, work on different things, cross train etc.
My issue is I am not near completing distances for the 70.3 I'm registered for in June.

I started from scratch last month - 10 minute runs, 30 mins on trainer etc. just to be able to start a seven month BT custom HIM plan, here that builds slowly but surely to the HIM. I've heard that 7 months is too long, that more than 4 months is hard to sustain.

I wouldn't know how to work to get ready to start a HIM plan in three months, hence the 7 month plan starting where I'll be in a month (barely).

I'm doing some weights, need to get back to the pool. Could use advice.

Have only done sprints and one oly. 15lbs overweight, arthritic knees not hurting yet. I really want to make this my best year.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter Training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gloomy fall/winter season is upon us

Started by Rollergirl
Views: 1298 Posts: 13

2017-10-13 1:32 PM Swimbikeron

first winter tri

Started by Phebes
Views: 721 Posts: 5

2016-11-30 12:38 PM Phebes

Winter Tri advice needed

Started by TTom
Views: 1237 Posts: 7

2016-11-20 5:33 PM Hot Runner

Injured while training for 70.3 - training advice?

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 2098 Posts: 4

2016-12-11 8:59 PM alicefoeller

Training peaks alternative- Sporttracks vs. Goldencheetah

Started by triathlonpal07
Views: 16885 Posts: 15

2017-10-08 10:35 AM mortirolo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 1, 2016
author : Endorphin Hub
comments : 0
Should you continue to train outdoors during the winter time?

date : October 31, 2016
author : alicefoeller
Changing weather is a chance to assess, adjust
date : October 30, 2016
author : Kermat89
It is Base-Building time for many triathletes right now. Developing better economy is just as important as endurance and strength.