View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Panama City Beach, Florida
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up, did the transition thing, Went back to the condo. Had an uncrustable and some life cereal. Jasha came up and we hung until it was time to go down to the beach, they have changed the start yet again. Jasha and I are about the same pace so we lined up at the back of the 1:00-1:10 /front of the 1:10-1:20 area. Thing about this is that you don't really know what time you started. They started getting people in at 6:40 Its certainly less chaotic although I think that is some of the magic of an IM swim.
Event warmup:

Nada its 140 mile race
Swim
  • 1h 22m 29s
  • 4221 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

this went about as expected. I was hoping for a sub 1:20 swim. Its was a bit more swelly than it appeared, probably 2-3 feet. its was challenging to get into and out of the water. I could have been more aggressive with that. On the second loop they had put in all these wonky poorly aligned small buoys. Could not make heads or tails out of them. I just tried to spot the first big buoy and headed that way. There is WAY less ablity to draft in this format of entering the water. I tried to aggressively seed myself.
What would you do differently?:

Be more aggressive getting into and out of the water.

*time off my watch. to honest I am not sure where the timing mat was. I did the first loop in 38 minutes
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I walked this. Got wet suit off. Went into the changing tent. even tho this is ironman FLORIDA it is typically a coldish race. This year it was not so I didn't have to layer up. Did my best to get the sand off my feet, walked to my bike rack. No not running in bike shoes on wet pavement with my knees. Ate an uncrsutable on the way out

I could have gone slightly faster but not much
Bike
  • 7h 57m
  • 112 miles
  • 14.09 mile/hr
Comments:

pathetic. Absolutely and utterly pathetic. I USED to be good at biking. I am not even sure where it all went so wrong. I started out OK. Jasha passed me about 10 miles in. I just could NOT get any speed or power going. I did recently put a new pair of bike shoes into use and they have far less stuff in them so my bike fit is probably slightly off but still, should not have made THAT much of s difference.

I felt sick from about mile 40 on. I had 6 servings of accelerade with me and started a gel every 45 minutes After 3-4 gels I just couldn't take another one. I stopped once to see if brake was rubbing because I was going so f-ing SLOW. I was like WTF? what is wrong with me?

I didn't really feel like the hills were super challenging, there was some wind but nothing terrible I Just. had. NOTHINIG. You know you are having a bad bike when you are hoping you get hit by a car so you can stop. I seriously wanted to lay on the side of the road and take a nap.

Thoughts of Sydney, the promise of a finisher medal and a new jacket kept me going. You start to bargin with yourself. I had to walk up the bridge on the way back. At least it was the 100 mile mark. I felt like crap

I wish I knew. my thoughts are

1- I had a terrible bout of attack of the killer TMJ in the week leading up to the race. I could not eat properly for 2 weeks. 4 rounds of steroids it was on the mend by the time we got to the race site but I probably dropped about 10#, which is not all bad but still.

2-I need more outside biking. The trainer is just not cutting it, OR just pump up my watts a whole lot more to make it tougher. The weather here, the road conditions and traffic are barriers for me here.

3-I could be somewhat off on the bike fit right now as evidence by my difficulty in Aero during the race. I recently put a new pair of bike shoes into use and they have far less stuff in them so that is probably off a bit. My seat needs to come forward a bit I am sure
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I was never so happy to be OFF THE BIKE. I had been fantasizing about getting to T2 so I could give myself a little spa treatment with the handiwipes in my T2 bag. I had a very nice helper who actually was from lansing!! tried desparately to get the sand off my feet. I had gotten some chafing on my arms during the swim so I just left my bike shirt on.

Cleaned up as well as I could, socks and shoes on, hat on, brace on. Off I go. I stopped to use a porta potty but didn't really produce anything. A bad sign as I probably took in about a gallon on the bike.

Try to get more sand off my feet, but everything was WET
Run
  • 00m
  • 26.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I was in trouble and I knew it. I took FAR too long on the bike. I felt very sick. I still wanted a nap. I was dizzy. The plan for the most part was to walk most of this anyway. I just walked as fast as I could. I took in cola at each aide station, which was really all I could manage. After about 2 miles I was feeling slightly better and was managing to run 30 steps and walk 30 steps which was about all I could muster. The dizzimess got worse with running but I knew I had to pick up the pace.

Just. Keep. Moving. Forward. My fingers were the size of small sausages

Blisters, of course. it mazes me that I trained so much for this race, and every other IM and then you blister in completely new and different places on race. WTF?

Anyway I digress. You try to do the math......with the new format I didn't start at 7 am...what time is it, how fast do I need to go? How fast/slow am I moving? can I go faster? Can I run at all? How much time do I have? Math is really hard at this point of the race.

It took me 4 hours to complete the first half of the marathon. I had 3 left and I was not getting faster. I felt terrible. D and my parents encouraged me to stop. I would have been nice to have ONE person try to get me to keep going but the reality is the best I could hope for is a DNF and an unofficial finish with a DNF. We pulled the plug. I just ran out of time

I need to find my inner biker chick again.
Post race
Warm down:

went back to the condo and just splatted onto the floor. I lad there for like 45 minutes. I might have fallen asleep. I was crusty with salt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crappy bike, poor nutrition in the weeks leading up to the race. Hindsight is always 20:20. it was not my day. I probably could have kept going on the run but to what end? I would have been a DNF at best, which is what I got anyway. What would the toll have been on my body? I don't think I have ever felt so sick during a race and I have been doing this for 13 years. To say I am disappointed is a vast understatement.

Event comments:

this is a wonderful race. I will be back

Last updated: 2016-11-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:22:29 | 4221 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca sleeveless
Course: 2 loops
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:57:00 | 112 miles | 14.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 78/
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: One loop, improved over the last time I raced here.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 26.2 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loop out and back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2017-11-11 7:41 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Ironman Florida

2017-11-16 12:26 PM
in reply to: #5230818

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
Sorry about the DNF. Maybe next year Panama City Beach was an amazing venue and had it's areas where it was tougher than expected or reported. It felt like the water did get a bit rougher on the second loops and there seemed to be a current that wasn't there on the first lap. Out on the bike, it seemed that we had a headwind all day! Smart move to protect yourself and your health. There is always another race!
2017-11-20 2:05 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Ok, tough day in the Panhandle. Sorry about the DNF and I can relate to the range of emotions anyone would feel after all the work that goes into IM training but not completing the race - I had a DNF at an IM in Key West and it was an experience I'd rather not repeat; lots of self-critique,etc. But the sting faded and you find your inner biker/runner again. Congrats on making it to the start line and the last sentence of your RR is all that matters now - you'll be back.
2017-11-29 8:40 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

What a tough day.  When we toe the start line, we never really know what the day holds until it's through.  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida

Started by cnixon83
Views: 969 Posts: 3

2017-11-16 12:28 PM Rdracer99

Ironman Florida

Started by 3mar
Views: 1844 Posts: 8

2016-12-05 7:12 AM dandr614