BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2018-03-05 1:01 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Weight-loss/Workout Challenge Weigh-In Day
Hey yall. I'm sorry everyone sounds like they've been sick.

I'm down 2 pounds to 148lb.
I'm more excited that I'm starting to see some movement on my run. Long time coming on that. It was also the first week I actually ran 3 days. So I'm just trying to get my consistency in my routine.

2 hrs of strength training (maxed my bench at 130, I'm trying to get to 135 so bad)
3 hrs 23 min of swimming
2 hrs 39 min of running

2018-03-05 1:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: For the Win!
Originally posted by Homebush

Well, I showed up to have fun, and ended up making the podium!

I took third in the Athena division.

Probably one of my slowest sprints, but a bike wiped out in front of me just a short distance into the ride and I spent about 7 minutes pulling his gear out of the road and making sure he was okay. He was a little disoriented for a few minutes, but came back to. A nurse drove by and took over. Pretty scary though.

That's a crazy day! You not only get on the podium also stopped to render first aid to a fallen competitor along the way! That sounds pretty awesome to me.

Congrats on the finish!

PS--I'm with you. I HATE the sub-60 water temp swims.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2018-03-05 1:04 PM
2018-03-05 4:45 PM
in reply to: BakerBryan

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by BakerBryan Hello Everyone! I did not have a good week. I have been sick in bed for the last three days with some kind of flu. I am hoping I'm able to get up and move around a little tomorrow. Before getting sick I did run for 30 minutes and biked for a total of 45 minutes. I did not weigh myself today because of me being sick. Im sure I am down in weight but I don't feel it would be accurate with all things considered.

Hey Bryan,

The bug is certainly going around the Gray Guys/Gals, I think you're the 5th or 6th one to get sick.

Hope you're feeling better.

2018-03-05 4:50 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

Checking in -

no weight change  (apparently my scale doesn't understand that the numbers are supposed to go down!)

Janet,

Try this.  Who knew?  

(proper scale use.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
proper scale use.jpg (33KB - 4 downloads)
2018-03-05 5:07 PM
in reply to: Homebush

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN

Originally posted by Homebush

Well, I showed up to have fun, and ended up making the podium!

I took third in the Athena division.

Probably one of my slowest sprints, but a bike wiped out in front of me just a short distance into the ride and I spent about 7 minutes pulling his gear out of the road and making sure he was okay. He was a little disoriented for a few minutes, but came back to. A nurse drove by and took over. Pretty scary though.

The lake was COLD!!! Probably 58, and I hate the restriction of wetsuits. I bought a new spring suit, but didn't realize how high the neck was, and ended up being choked the entire swim.

Bike had some strong head and cross winds, but not as bad as last year.

My run was super slow. I have weak ankles, and running on gravel and grass is sketchy for me.

Probably won't sign up for this race again, but all in all, it was a good day. Big fat reminder that I need to get my butt in gear to be ready for the Olympic I am signed up for in May.

So let me make sure I have this straight - you froze your backside off in the water, then rescued a fallen rider, battled head winds on the bike, then had a bad run - and you still stood on the podium?

(well-done-clipart-6.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
well-done-clipart-6.jpg (18KB - 3 downloads)
2018-03-05 7:57 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Swimming, swimming, swimming

Scott - hope you don't mind me picking your brain here (or anyone else - all comments are appreciated!)

Like I said earlier, I realized yesterday that Gateway is only 10 weeks away and my swimming is not where it needs to be.  I can probably finish the 1500m (lake swim, most likely wetsuit legal), but it would be slow, sloppy and I would be totally worn out by the time I got out and onto the bike – not what I want.  I have been slow to get back into swimming after taking some time off, but I’m ready to get back to it now.  Here are my issues/questions:

First - Right now my plan has me swimming 3 times a week – twice in the morning during the week before work and on Sunday morning.  My question here is – I can’t really do more than 1800 during the week due to time constraints so I’m thinking about adding a 3rd weekday swim of 1000-1200 (I’d leave it at that while I up the distances for the other swims).  Pretty sure I know the answer to this but wanted to get your opinion anyway. 

Hi Janet,

Of course!  I will be happy to offer some thoughts.

In a perfect world, you would build up to 1.5-2.0 times the race distance 3-4 times per week.  For an Olympic triathlon that works out to 2250-3000 meters (or 2500-3300 yards) three to four times per week . . . in a perfect world.  Of course, most of us don't live in that "perfect world."  We have jobs, and spouses, and kids, and all those pesky things that prevent us from training as much as we would like.  With that in mind, you want to strive to get as close to that target as you reasonably can.  Note also that I said build to that yardage (meterage?).  Ideally you'll get that volume for a couple of weeks two to three weeks before the race (allowing yourself time to taper/peak for the race).  You've got 10-weeks.  If you can get weeks 7 & 8 near that volume with weeks 1-6 a gradual build to that volume you will be well prepared (weeks 9 & 10 would be reduced volume but increased intensity).

That sounds like a lot, but consider this, if you were to start with workouts around 1200 meters per session and added just 11% each week - which you can safely do for swimming - you'd be swimming workouts of nearly 2400 meters by week 6.

If you can't do 3-4 workouts with that volume, do what you can.  The closer you can get to the target - the better.  You probably can get more time in the water than you think you can if you really tighten the time belt.  You're only talking about a few weeks and you will thank yourself on race day when you come out of the water fresh.

You can also mix up the intensity a bit which I'll talk about in a little bit.

Second - I’m basing my workouts on the Olympic base plan from your (Scott’s) old website with some modifications – mostly because I can’t do a 200 set right now without my form completely breaking down.  The workweek swims are usually 400 w/u (some easy 50’s, some kick sets), a main set of 100’s usually on 20-30” rest (some pull, some regular swim), and 200-300 c/d.  Total yardage between 1000-1400.  I’m planning to up the yardage to 1600-1800 over the next couple of weeks.  Sunday swims are similar but longer – 1800-2400 still doing mostly 100’s as my main set.  I’m hoping to up those to 150-200’s and increase the overall workout to 2400-2800.  Does this seem reasonable?

Obviously you know you should be doing intervals.  You don't have to do 200's.  You can do 100's or 50's.  I'd rather you do shorter intervals and keep your technique good than do longer intervals and your technique break down.  Early on, when you're really working on endurance, you want shorter rest intervals.  

You should determine your current swim threshold pace so you know you are training at the proper pace.  I know you've done the test in the past, but in case you've forgotten, here's the procedure - 

http://bscmultisport.com/blog/2017/05/22/how-to-determine-your-swim-threshold-pace/

Once you know your STP, then build your workouts around that.  Early on, when doing endurance sets (technically termed extensive endurance) you can swim at STP+3 with 15 seconds rest.  So, say for example, your STP is 1:45/100 yards (the same applies if you determine your STP in a long course pool using meters).  STP + 3 would be 1:45 + 0:03 = 1:48.  Add to that the rest interval - 1:48 + 0:15 = 2:03.  Round to the nearest 0:05.  You would swim 100's at a 2:05 interval.  Meaning the leave interval is 2:05 and the target pace is 1:48/100.

If you wanted to do 50's, half of 1:45 is 0:52.5.  Add 0:03/100 or 1.5 seconds to determine target pace - 0:52.5 + 0:01.5 = 0:54/50.  You aren't swimming 100's so you don't get 15 seconds rest, you only get 10.  So 0:54 + 0:10 = 1:04.  Round to the nearest 0:05 and you get 50's at a send off of 1:05, with a target of 0:54/50.

If you are really time crunched, don't worry about a specific warm-up.  Just go into the main set.

You can start with something like 24 x 50 or 12 x 100.  As your fitness improves, you can add in the occasional set of 200's.  Add a 2-4 50's or 1-2 100's each week.  It's nothing fancy, but it will get the job done.

When you get to 5-weeks out, take one of the workouts and change to intensive endurance, meaning go to STP-3 for the pace and raise the rest interval to 30-seconds.  The other two workouts would continue to be as I'd described earlier.  At 3-weeks out, go to 2 intensive endurance workouts each week and retain one extensive endurance each week.  So you'd have to "speed workouts" each week with "lots" of rest and one endurance workout each week with less rest.  

Third – This is a question about my form, which I know will be harder to answer since you’re not standing on deck watching me.  I think I have the body roll pretty well figured out and I’ve been working on my reach.  As for my pull…   I got some paddles and attempted to use them on Sunday.  I only did 2x25 with them since I wasn’t exactly sure what I was doing.  The left one wouldn’t stay on my hand so obviously I was doing something wrong there.  The right one stayed on but was trying to pull off.  I’m thinking it might be my hand entry since the issue seemed to be that the water was getting between my hand and the paddle and pulling it off (down and away from my hand).  Maybe my hand is too flat when entering the water?  Not sure here - hoping you might be able to give me some insight on what I might be doing wrong.  I am going to try to see if I can get a copy of the underwater & above water videos that they do when I go to the next swim clinic on March 18th, but I’d like to try to work on these things before then. 

Any insight, suggestions, comments that you could give me would be appreciated!
Thanks

Janet

The paddles were "talking to you."  Paddles are technique tools.  The are NOT, as is commonly believed, strength building tools.  When used properly, paddles are VERY effective at pointing out your stroke deficiencies - as you discovered the other day.  If your hand is out of position by even the smallest amount - the paddles will try to come off, your hand will slice to one side or the other, or your hand will suddenly just turn sideways because you were so far out of position.

Here is an article off my old website (haven't gotten it transferred over yet). 

http://triathlonswimcoach.com/index.php/en/resources/stroke-technique/29-advanced/55-the-catch-and-pull

In the article I get around to talking quite a bit about proper hand position at entry.  Once the pull has begun, proper hand position is perpendicular to your direction of travel or stated another way, facing the wall behind you.  The pull should be straight back.  If you have little deviations from a straight pull, if your hands aren't perpendicular to your direction of travel, if your entry is incorrect - the paddles will tell you - IF YOU LISTEN.

You don't need to do a lot of yardage with the paddles.  4 x 50 once a week will generally be sufficient if you are paying attention to what they are telling you.  Ideally, you will be using ankle bands (and maybe a pull buoy if needed) while using the paddles so you can fully isolate the pull.  I encourage people new to paddles to introduce obvious stroke deficiencies to their stroke so they can begin to learn the language of the paddles.  For example, when you're pulling, slightly rotate your hand so it isn't facing the wall behind you.  You will feel your hand being pulled to the side.  In your case specifically, you're having some difficulty with the entry, after you read the article above, begin to modify your hand position until the paddles remain strongly in contact with your hand - you will know when your entry position is correct because the paddles will remain solidly on your hand.  When you are using paddles you are NOT trying to swim fast.  You are trying to swim with perfect technique.  The paddles will show you the way to perfect technique.

Hope all of that helps a little bit.

2018-03-06 6:07 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Nobody gained weight this week!  From the workout totals it looks like a few of you are getting serious about your training.

Good job everyone!  Keep it up and you'll be smiling on race day!

(0306.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0306.jpg (78KB - 3 downloads)
2018-03-07 12:13 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

Scott - hope you don't mind me picking your brain here (or anyone else - all comments are appreciated!)

Like I said earlier, I realized yesterday that Gateway is only 10 weeks away and my swimming is not where it needs to be. 

Hi Janet,

IEarly on, when you're really working on endurance, you want shorter rest intervals.  

You should determine your current swim threshold pace so you know you are training at the proper pace.  I know you've done the test in the past, but in case you've forgotten, here's the procedure - 

http://bscmultisport.com/blog/2017/05/22/how-to-determine-your-swim-threshold-pace/

Once you know your STP, then build your workouts around that. 

Scott:

Good stuff. When I get back from my Olympic event in Hawaii I really need to jump on resetting my Threshold paces for swimming, but also running and biking. Since I was in full "coach potato" mode in December and then jumped back into steady training I know my Thresholds are changing quickly as my fitness returns.

Thanks for the good reminder.

Steve
2018-03-08 3:36 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
Subject: Trail Run
Got in a very nice dirt trail run today...or at least half a trail run. It reminded me of value of doing something other than slogging straight ahead for miles and miles. I was heading out for a 6 mile run, so I went out 3 miles on asphalt and came back 3+ miles on the dirt.

We have a pretty nice river front loop trail here in Wenatchee. It 8 feet wide running along the Columbia River with paved asphalt the entire length. If I had the fitness I could cross the river twice making a big 10 mile loop. Or, with the out/back sections at the ends it's a total of about 27 miles. It's a great resource for running. I don't use it much on my bike as there are too many groups, runners, kids, and walkers in certain places, making it unsafe to ride at any speed other than very slow.

You can see a few pictures here: https://www.traillink.com/trail-gallery/apple-capital-recreation-loo...

In any case, there is a section where I can jump off the asphalt and run on a dirt single track trail. It's the original river trail dating back 50+ years. I used to run on it before they put in the paved trail (yes, I'm that old). The single track has roots, rocks, up/down terrain, sharp turns, little streams to jump, a bunch of steep but short up/down knobs to climb and descend. The upshot is it is a very different type of running than standard straight ahead jog.

There's no question that the trail run provides a very different workout. The uneven terrain, quick, sharp turns and obstacles change everything. Shorter strides and light footer plants are important. Feet must be consciously lifted to prevent being tripped by obstacles. Micro muscles in the quads and calfs are used differently. There is cross-stress on ankles, etc. But even slow it's a killer workout because of those variations from the normal grind out on the pavement.

I used to run this dirt single track regularly because it was such a unique workout. Before today, I probably hadn't done it in 3-4 years. I really need to get back to running on the dirt regularly.

What's the point? If you have an unimproved dirt trail in your area (as opposed to just a graded dirt road that lacks paving) I highly recommend you give it a try for one of your run workouts. It's a great alternative run training...and you'll find yourself focused on remaining upright more than how far you have left to go!

Have fun out there.

Steve

2018-03-09 11:21 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Trail Run

Scott – thanks for the swim info.  I know I need to do an STP test but honestly I’ve been putting it off until I can get some consistency back in my swimming.  I’ve been using an estimated number for right now (based on what it was last year).  I also went back and re-read your article on catch & pull.  I think my issue (one of them anyway) is my hand entry.  When I think about it, my hand is really flat so I need to work on that.  Would I look silly standing at the end of the lane just practicing my hand entry

Steve – I love trail running!  I used to try to do all my weekend runs on the trails.  We have some really nice ones here but most are a 30-40 minute drive so they’ve been relegated to weekends.  Unfortunately with the knee issues I’ve been having, I can’t do hills well right now so I’ve had to back off the trails for a while.  I miss it and can’t wait to get back on them. 

Bike question:  I’ve been thinking about upgrading my chainring and cassette.  Right now I have a triple on the front (I believe it’s 50-39-30) and an 8 speed cassette (11-26).  I’d like to change to a regular double chainring and an 11 speed cassette.  I’ve been looking at cassettes and it seems like the prices go from $30-$100 and up.  Is there something special I need to look for when upgrading?  I know the difference in the gearing depends on what type of courses I’d be riding but overall, is there a difference in the brands/materials/etc.?  I probably won’t be doing the upgrade until fall since I’m only doing a few short races this year but thought I would start researching it now.  If I do decide to go long again next year, I want to change before that.  When I did the group trainer ride last weekend, everyone else had double chainrings and 11 speed cassettes and they were just spinning away when I was struggling.  I know some of that is bike fitness, but it seems like the extra gears would just give me more options. 

Janet

2018-03-09 2:42 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Double vs. Triple chainring

Scott – thanks for the swim info.  I know I need to do an STP test but honestly I’ve been putting it off until I can get some consistency back in my swimming.  

Bike question:  I’ve been thinking about upgrading my chainring and cassette.  Right now I have a triple on the front (I believe it’s 50-39-30) and an 8 speed cassette (11-26).  I’d like to change to a regular double chainring and an 11 speed cassette.  I know the difference in the gearing depends on what type of courses I’d be riding but overall, is there a difference in the brands/materials/etc.?  I probably won’t be doing the upgrade until fall since I’m only doing a few short races this year but thought I would start researching it now.  If I do decide to go long again next year, I want to change before that.  When I did the group trainer ride last weekend, everyone else had double chainrings and 11 speed cassettes and they were just spinning away when I was struggling.  I know some of that is bike fitness, but it seems like the extra gears would just give me more options. 

Janet

Hi Janet:

Whether or not you change out from a triple chain ring to a double can have many implications...for both your bike and your budget. I bought doubles on my bikes so I haven't had to do it. But my wife had a triple on her bike. Because of the type of bike, the switch to a double involved swapping out the bottom bracket and cranks as well as a new derailleur. On a bike that was under $1,500 when brand new it didn't make sense to put the money into that bike...so she just waited until it was time for a new bike and switched then.

There can be several reasons why your friends seem to be "spinning away" while you're struggling. However, I doubt that this is a chain ring issue (double vs. triple). It is more likely related to gear selection or fitness or both. With a triple you actually have more gear choices. The steps between gears are smaller (3 rings X 9 gears = 27 vs. 2 rings X 11 =22). So, in theory, it ought to be easier to find exactly the gear you want to spin any given speed, cadence, hill, etc. The challenge is there is more duplication across the three rings, particularly on the middle ring which could result in a need to shift more frequently on undulating terrain or group rides where the speed is fluctuating. But the majority of the difference is at the lower end. In all likelihood, the "spinning away" you see is a result of fitness. With two rings, you'll have fewer gear choices. With a double, you'll probably find the gear you want for that perfect spin is always just a bit to hard or a bit to easy...but you peddle along and adjust your cadence to deal with it.

There is certainly a bit of snob factor at work. I'll admit it. When I got my first road bike I somewhere read/heard that 3 rings up front was a rookie flag. Well, I didn't want that! The horror! So, even though I was a total rookie, cycled like a rookie and had minimal bike fitness, I went with the double with an 11-25 cassette. As long as I was on reasonably flat roads it was fine...but I couldn't ride that bike up any kind of prolonged hill without completely blowing up.

The big advantage of having three rings is on hills. That small ring allows you to climb like a goat. So, if you're cycling (or plan to race) in an area with lots of long, sustained hills, that small ring will be your best friend. Once fit, you'll destroy folks who only have a double. The triple adds about 10 oz. of weight, but for most of us, that's not a factor in whether we cycle well.

If you want an easy preview of what a double will be like, just stop using your small ring. You can even have your bike shop limit the range of your derailleur so that it can't drop the chain onto the small ring. You'll then effectively be riding a double ring (albeit 50/39 vs. 53/39). Yes, you'll only have 9 gears in back vs. 11, so the steps between gears will be bigger and you'll be more limited at the top end (you'll spin out more quickly going down hills), but you'll get the general idea of what the switch will be like.

On my tri bike I ride a standard double with a 12-28. I've found I really need that 28 on sustained hills..and often wish I had one more step down. I've considered swapping my cassette out for a 12-32 to better ride the mega hills. I haven't done it yet, but the older I get the more attractive it looks.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2018-03-09 2:43 PM

2018-03-10 9:54 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Spring?
A clear, sunny day here with temps into the middle 50's. Fabulous! Should be a great day for a run. It will almost feel like Spring.

Tomorrow is demo day on our local ski mountain. Sign up and for $10 bucks you get to try out all the new skis. They have factory reps on hand from the major companies so it's a fabulous opportunity to find the skis that match up with your type of skiing. It's like Christmas in March.

What's on your list?

Hope you all have some fun things planned for the weekend.

Steve
2018-03-11 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Spring?

Originally posted by lutzman A clear, sunny day here with temps into the middle 50's. Fabulous! Should be a great day for a run. It will almost feel like Spring. Tomorrow is demo day on our local ski mountain. Sign up and for $10 bucks you get to try out all the new skis. They have factory reps on hand from the major companies so it's a fabulous opportunity to find the skis that match up with your type of skiing. It's like Christmas in March. What's on your list? Hope you all have some fun things planned for the weekend. Steve

What is this "spring" you speak of ?  We had a decent day yesterday but today we're getting up to 3" of snow.  It feels like spring isn't ever going to get here.  At least it's not supposed to stay around too long - temps up into the 60's by mid-week.  

Thanks for the info on the bike/chainrings.  One of my concerns about switching out my chainring/cassette was the cost.  My bike is 9 years old and it's not fancy (only paid $800 for it when I bought it), but I'm not sure my derailleur would work with a different size cassette.  Like you said - might not be worth it to switch things out.  Unfortunately I can't afford a new bike so I need to make do with what I have.  TBH, even though I have the small ring, I very rarely use it.  I mostly ride in the middle one, sometimes use the big one if I'm riding outside on a flat course.   I'll start playing around with using the little one - especially once I'm able to get outside to ride and see how it goes on hills.  Then I'll decide what I want to do.  

Janet

2018-03-11 4:10 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman
Originally posted by k9car363

Like I said earlier, I realized yesterday that Gateway is only 10 weeks away and my swimming is not where it needs to be. 

Hi Janet,

IEarly on, when you're really working on endurance, you want shorter rest intervals.  

Once you know your STP, then build your workouts around that. 

Scott: Good stuff. When I get back from my Olympic event in Hawaii I really need to jump on resetting my Threshold paces for swimming, but also running and biking. Since I was in full "coach potato" mode in December and then jumped back into steady training I know my Thresholds are changing quickly as my fitness returns. Thanks for the good reminder. Steve

Hey Steve,

I know you are aware of how to perform a threshold test but since we have been talking about threshold tests, I thought maybe it would be a good idea to go through the procedure for the newer folks we have with us.

Before I go any further, I need to say threshold testing is intense.  Make sure you have a doctors OK to be participating in very intense exercise.  If you are following any type of “Couch-to-“ program, forego doing a field test until you have built a base level of fitness.  The test is strenuous.  Instead, track your HR as you exercise.  When you are finished, note your HR and record how long it takes your HR to drop 20 beats per minute.  Over time that number should begin to decrease.  Once you are comfortable running 30-40 minutes non-stop you are ready to attempt a field threshold test.

There's a link to the 'Swim Threshold Pace' procedure above.

Lactate Threshold Heart Rate Threshold Field Test

You are going to use a 30-minute time trial on both the bike and the run to determine your lactate threshold.  If you are testing both disciplines, it’s best to test on different days.

Begin with a thorough warm-up.  The run warm-up is 15-minutes and includes some accelerations to prepare your body for a maximal effort.  The bike warm-up is also 15-minutes and includes going through all the gears.

• The 30-minute time trial begins – press ‘start’ on your watch
  • At 10-minutes into the test, press ‘lap’ on your watch
  • At 30-minutes press ‘end’ on your watch
  • You should finish knowing you had given a maximum effort for the entire 30-minutes

Your average HR over the final 20-minutes of the time-trial is a close approximation of your Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (LTHR) for both the run and bike.  For running, your average pace over the entire test is a close approximation of your lactate threshold pace.

A word about pacing the 30-minute test - you want to be steady through this or build as you go; you don’t want to start off too hard and then fade as the test progresses. Better to start a little too easy and build throughout than blow up part way through. Early in the test, if you feel you can hold the pace/speed for another 5:00, you are probably right where you want to be; if 5:00 would be easy, go a bit harder, if 5:00 seems like way too long, back off a little. With five minutes to go, it's time to go - hang on and grit your teeth through to the end.

Calculating your Heart Rate Training Zones

After you have determined your Lactate Threshold Heart Rate you can use the following ranges to calculate your training zones (Joe Friel 7-zones for running, Joe Friel 7-zones for cycling).

Run Zones
Zone 1 Less than 85% of LTHR
Zone 2 85% to 89% of LTHR
Zone 3 90% to 94% of LTHR
Zone 4 95% to 99% of LTHR
Zone 5a 100% to 102% of LTHR
Zone 5b 103% to 106% of LTHR
Zone 5c More than 106% of LTHR

Bike Zones
Zone 1 Less than 81% of LTHR
Zone 2 81% to 89% of LTHR
Zone 3 90% to 93% of LTHR
Zone 4 94% to 99% of LTHR
Zone 5a 100% to 102% of LTHR
Zone 5b 103% to 106% of LTHR
Zone 5c More than 106% of LTHR

Using a power meter is the preferred method for guiding cycling training and race day efforts.  A FTP test similar to the above procedure.  I can go through the FTP procedure if anyone is interested.

Hope that helps.

2018-03-11 4:56 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Trail Run

Bike question:  I’ve been thinking about upgrading my chainring and cassette.  Right now I have a triple on the front (I believe it’s 50-39-30) and an 8 speed cassette (11-26).  I’d like to change to a regular double chainring and an 11 speed cassette.  I’ve been looking at cassettes and it seems like the prices go from $30-$100 and up.  Is there something special I need to look for when upgrading?  I know the difference in the gearing depends on what type of courses I’d be riding but overall, is there a difference in the brands/materials/etc.?  I probably won’t be doing the upgrade until fall since I’m only doing a few short races this year but thought I would start researching it now.  If I do decide to go long again next year, I want to change before that.  When I did the group trainer ride last weekend, everyone else had double chainrings and 11 speed cassettes and they were just spinning away when I was struggling.  I know some of that is bike fitness, but it seems like the extra gears would just give me more options. 

Janet

Hey Janet,

I'm not sure I'd be thinking about switching to a double, at least for the reason you are thinking about it.  The lowest gear you currently have it 30/26.  If you were to switch to a compact crank with an 11-28 cassette, your lowest gear would be 34/28, and a standard crank with the same cassette would be 39/28.  Both of those options are higher gears than what you currently have available.

At the other end, you likely aren't going to be able to "spin-out" the highest gear you currently have 50/11.  That would be the same high gear with a compact crank (50/34) and the 11-28 cassette.  You could have a slightly higher gear with a standard crank 53/39 and the 11-28 cassette - 53/11.  As I said above however, you'd be penalized in the hills with the standard crank.

The biggest reason you go to more cogs in a rear cassette is to lessen the difference between gears.  For example an 8-cog 11/28 cassette has 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28 teeth.  A 10-cog 11/28 cassette has 11,12,13,14,15,17,19,22,25,28.  As you can see, you'd have an extra gear between 11-15, and 13-15.  The higher gears you'd have a bit closer steps.  Both of these would have the same high and low end gears.

Don't get confused thinking a compact or standard crank is the answer.  You are talking about "spinning up the hills."  That requires a lower gear.  There are 11/28, 11/30, and 11/32 cassettes available.  All of those would give you a lower lowest gear which would allow you to "spin up the hill" better.  At the end of the day, it is, and always well be, about the engine.  It doesn't matter what gears are on your bike if the engine isn't powerful enough to turn them.

2018-03-11 5:00 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Spring?

Originally posted by lutzman A clear, sunny day here with temps into the middle 50's. Fabulous! Should be a great day for a run. It will almost feel like Spring. Tomorrow is demo day on our local ski mountain. Sign up and for $10 bucks you get to try out all the new skis. They have factory reps on hand from the major companies so it's a fabulous opportunity to find the skis that match up with your type of skiing. It's like Christmas in March. What's on your list? Hope you all have some fun things planned for the weekend. Steve

What is this "spring" you speak of ?  We had a decent day yesterday but today we're getting up to 3" of snow.  It feels like spring isn't ever going to get here.  At least it's not supposed to stay around too long - temps up into the 60's by mid-week.  

x2

We got a couple inches of snow last night, supposed to get another couple of inches tomorrow morning.  We got a little "false-spring" teaser last week when it got up to the 60's.  Then Mother Nature smiled and said, "Psych."

2018-03-11 6:51 PM

New user
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: Weight loss challenge
Good week for me

Down 2 lbs.
12.5 hours training

I’m thinking about working a nutritionist to keep me on the right track, 26 weeks to IMWI ??
2018-03-11 9:25 PM
in reply to: #5231907

, Indiana
Despite feeling bad all week I was still able to get some work done.
Down 2.1 pounds
60 min run
90 min bike
30 min weight training.
9 weeks until my first sprint tri. I can feel my nerves starting to work on me.
2018-03-12 9:30 AM
in reply to: BakerBryan

User image

Expert
Missouri

Not an especially good week for me.  I was lazy yesterday with the snow and skipped both my swim and my long run.  Hoping I can get back on track this week.

No weight lost (still, but at least I'm not gaining either)
Swim - 27 min
Bike - 205 min
Run - 49 min
Yoga - 86 min

Janet

2018-03-12 11:00 AM

User image

Regular
Happy Monday everyone!

Well, this is my last weigh-in before my Oly tri in Hawaii in 13 days. I leave for Kona on Wednesday, so I won't have access to a scale until I get back...which is is probably a really good thing not to have on vacation. Excited and nervous to get to race day. I haven't raced in two years, so I'll get to re-learn all those pre-race jitters.

Not much weight loss this week after a big drop last week related to illness: 174.6 down to 174.4 = -.2

Workouts: 9:45

Swim = 2:02
Bike = 4:20
Run = 3:23

So, now I can worry about fitness and lament the workouts I didn't do or cut short over the last four months. But, I am where I am. When I got rolling on training in early December, my goal for this race was just to develop foundation fitness. With almost no consistent workouts for a few years, just getting a meaningful regimen in place, dropping some weight and establishing an aerobic base to build on seemed like more than enough to bite off for the first race on the calendar. Regardless of how it goes on race day I feel OK about my progress. I'll be slow, but I'll be out there.

The ski demo day was yesterday and it was fantastic. It was a blue bird day with perfect spring skiing conditions and lots of new skis to put through the drills. I tried out 8 different pairs of skis. It was an absolutely wonderful day on the mountain.

I've got a solid run/swim day scheduled for lunch and then after work. Then it's a good bike/run workout tomorrow. Tomorrow night I'll pull apart my bike and pack it into the airline box to get ready to fly Wednesday morning. I hope to get in good workouts through the weekend in Kona, trying to get acclimated to 80 degrees and higher humidity. Then I start the best part of every training program (the pre-race taper) next Monday.

Have a great week everyone.

Steve

2018-03-12 11:32 AM
in reply to: Turner100

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Weight loss challenge

Up 1-1/2 lbs. 
8 hours training (480 mins

2018-03-12 12:34 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Weight loss challenge
Sorry I'm just posting. I didn't lose, but didn't gain either.
Holding steady at 148lb.

I ran 6 miles Saturday and felt like I could go further too!! I'm trying not to over do it though, as that is my MO.

2 hrs of strength training
2 hrs running
3 hrs swimming
2018-03-12 5:51 PM
in reply to: Onurleft20

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Weight:  No gain, but no loss either.

Workouts:

Swim - 9.2 hours

Bike - 6.1 hours

Run - 4.4 hours

Total 19.7 hours

2018-03-12 6:01 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

Happy Monday everyone!

Well, this is my last weigh-in before my Oly tri in Hawaii in 13 days. I leave for Kona on Wednesday, so I won't have access to a scale until I get back...which is is probably a really good thing not to have on vacation. Excited and nervous to get to race day. I haven't raced in two years, so I'll get to re-learn all those pre-race jitters.

The ski demo day was yesterday and it was fantastic. It was a blue bird day with perfect spring skiing conditions and lots of new skis to put through the drills. I tried out 8 different pairs of skis. It was an absolutely wonderful day on the mountain.

Steve

Hey Steve,

That whole race-jitters thing is over-rated.  It's just another day of training - albeit in a beautiful location.  You'll be fine.  It's kinda like riding a bike - it'll come back to you before the smoke from the starting gun clears the air.

Ski demo-day sounded awesome.  That would be a great way to demo skis.  Doing it back to back you could really get a valid comparison.  Doing a pair one weekend and another pair the next weekend doesn't really let you directly compare them like doing them back to back would.

2018-03-12 9:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi All, I took a few days off to get some work done at home.  Nothing too bad.  I actually kind of enjoy the work but I did miss a couple workouts.

No weight loss for this week - but no gain either.

Swim - 70:56

Bike - 280:39

Run - 108:53

Total - 460:28 = 7.67 hours

Just today I realized I was feeling some low grade plantar fascitis.  Nothing too serious yet so I'm hoping I can deal with it while continuing to run.

Steve - Have fun on your trip and a good race.  I'm not envious at all.  Not even thinking about mai tai's or whatever you might drink or walking on the beach.  Looking forward to reading your race report though.

Edited by wenceslasz 2018-03-12 9:42 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 9476 Posts: 78

2018-08-28 12:53 PM riles32807

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 949 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa

Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Baowolf