BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-03-29 10:33 PM
in reply to: #5232499

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open
Juan! Welcome back!

Well I bit the bullet and sort of semi-joined a gym here in DC. It’s right across from my crashpad, has a pool and spin bikes so I can train. I struck a deal with them (still more than I want to pay - which would be nothing..) and hope this will help me to get more workouts in while on the road. I had a 13 hour day and went to join at almost 8:00 tonight but had my swim stuff so hopped in and got 500 yds in. I wanted a 1000 but my goggles decided to consistently leak for the first time ever. So tomorrow I may be looking for a place here to get some new goggles...

2018-03-30 1:38 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey Juan! Way early heads up, but I am coming your way again in September! I have a wedding outside of Paris, so was thinking of flying in to Spain, either Madrid or Barcelona (although Madrid flights look a bit pricey). Will keep you posted!
2018-03-30 2:59 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

DeLand, Florida

^I miss Barcelona!  It's been a while since I've been, but was just watching the Volta Ciclista Catalunya since I'm a nerd for pro cycling, and do that sort of thing.  This part of Spain is just gorgeous.  

2018-03-30 7:51 PM
in reply to: #5240653

User image

, Vermont
Went to the gym here in DC and hopped on one of their spin cycles for an hour. I brought my spin shoes down. Had thought about maybe going an hour and a half but the overhead fans weren’t running and it was so incredibly hot in there and after an hour I was just dripping with sweat.
If I’m not called in first thing I hope to get there when they open at 7:00 to get a swim in if I can make some goggles work. I’m liking having gym access here!
2018-03-31 10:58 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Jenn, I bet it is such a huge help having access there!

Went to masters practice this morning. It was a rough one. The main set was a fast 75, 2 fast 50s, then a recovery 150. We did that 5 times. Overall swam about 3500 yards I think. Then I hopped in a car and drove to my parents' house in PA, and now I'm about to study for a bit while everyone is out. Brought some clothes to run tomorrow!
2018-03-31 1:51 PM
in reply to: #5240709

User image

, Vermont
Nicole, yes, a huge help.
I ran 3 miles on the treadmill today then hopped in the pool for 1500 with some mixed sets in there including back and breast stroke. Not quite the 3500 you got, Nicole, but baby steps here while I get my shoulders back into it.
Had some issues with my goggles again but after some adjustments and then found by stopping flip turns I could prevent the leaking... might be time for a new pair. Hahha
Got called in for a 3 day trip tomorrow but hope to hit the gym for another trainer ride before work.
Also might have to run again later this evening, it’s so nice out here! (and no snow!!)

2018-03-31 11:10 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hello from Egypt!!

Things are incredibly busy over here, so I haven't been on much in the last couple of weeks. I'm happy to report, though, that I have been able to consistently run ever other day without much ankle pain. There is a little, but it is more like sore from not doing anything for six months than anything else. Just running 30' at a time due to time constraints (only about 45' between sun up and the time we have to leave the house for the dig site--must leave time for a last minute bathroom break!!)

I see lots of good news here!! Keep it up everyone!!
2018-04-01 8:11 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hello all! I haven’t checked in on here for ages. I hope everyone is well. Just back from the pool where I swam longer than ever before (2.7k in about an hour). Feels great. Been running regularly all winter and just joined a running group. We do interval training once a week. Not much cycling yet due to snow, only 40min a week on the stationary at the gym all winter.
I have planned my races and will do 5 sprints this season (3 more than last year).
Bring it on!
2018-04-02 10:38 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Nicole, yes, a huge help.
I ran 3 miles on the treadmill today then hopped in the pool for 1500 with some mixed sets in there including back and breast stroke. Not quite the 3500 you got, Nicole, but baby steps here while I get my shoulders back into it.
Had some issues with my goggles again but after some adjustments and then found by stopping flip turns I could prevent the leaking... might be time for a new pair. Hahha
Got called in for a 3 day trip tomorrow but hope to hit the gym for another trainer ride before work.
Also might have to run again later this evening, it’s so nice out here! (and no snow!!)

You will get there! Honestly, without masters I wouldn't get close to 3500 yards at a time. Having the team provides the workouts and the accountability I need in order to stick with something. 1500 is awesome!
2018-04-02 10:41 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen and Nathalie, great to hear from both of you, and glad your training has been going well!

I ran yesterday! Ran 3.24 miles in 20 minutes (9:16 pace). Felt pretty good, although my hip was bothering me by the end.

Goals for the week (we haven't done this in awhile)!

1. Run 3 times this week
2. Swim at least 2x this week
3. Meal prep!
2018-04-02 3:20 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hello from Egypt!! Things are incredibly busy over here, so I haven't been on much in the last couple of weeks. I'm happy to report, though, that I have been able to consistently run ever other day without much ankle pain. There is a little, but it is more like sore from not doing anything for six months than anything else. Just running 30' at a time due to time constraints (only about 45' between sun up and the time we have to leave the house for the dig site--must leave time for a last minute bathroom break!!) I see lots of good news here!! Keep it up everyone!!

Gretchen!  So glad to hear you're settled in and even happier to hear you're running consistently without much pain! It's been such a long road...

2018-04-02 3:22 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e Gretchen and Nathalie, great to hear from both of you, and glad your training has been going well! I ran yesterday! Ran 3.24 miles in 20 minutes (9:16 pace). Felt pretty good, although my hip was bothering me by the end. Goals for the week (we haven't done this in awhile)! 1. Run 3 times this week 2. Swim at least 2x this week 3. Meal prep!

Great work Nicole!  

I have been battling the hip for a few years now.  Its actually pretty common.  I've got some stretches I use which actually do help.  If you need some let me know I'll see if I can find them online and post them.

2018-04-03 8:39 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida

So, I'm (somewhere) in a Tri promo video.  The first race I did last year was the inaugural of this particular event.  So they went all out and made a promo video from it to promote this year (and beyond).  I didn't actually see myself in it, but I'm in there somewhere in the drone shots and whatnot.  It was still really cool to relive the whole race.  I forgot how tough it was, with the entire run being off road.  And how cold the water was - 64 I think?  Anyway this got me excited for the season:

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001d0JFPUYsNsp_3UzRtRf67dfhA_YP1pz2oT3LXdaNfl2cJS75t7qccWRCaUDLuhPARVT2rMJ29HIxGcgYAz5_wQC_n2sJqRfESis2gQA2JK-w8Af9laDHXe8yPfa9ULZq8Vks7SiijB-ikTY-l3t-Mg==&c=W4EIFjgAs-sL1s_728YR3Ndq3B23YV_d9s1RVnJUP76znB9BG2skwQ==&ch=1Q4-KbdzEqmdpAjwKD5Gvhjo-ouNoQZLDrVqJ-IrKB-aAXfOCpdBcQ==

2018-04-03 10:32 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Welcome back, John! Watching that promo video got me a bit excited for Wildflower which is coming up fast.

The last two weeks were a bust training wise as I was on vacation in Ireland. Drank plenty of good beer, mainly stouts (mostly Guinness, with some Murphy's and Beamish while in Cork) as well as tried a few IPA's from a couple craft breweries. My favorite was the "Kinsale Pale Ale" while we stopped in the coastal town of Kinsale. It was interesting to see many of the IPA's described as "American style", our brews have come a long way an are now an influence instead of just a joke.

Time to get back into training and burn off the weight gained while on vacation!

2018-04-04 9:07 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by firebert

Originally posted by nicole14e Gretchen and Nathalie, great to hear from both of you, and glad your training has been going well! I ran yesterday! Ran 3.24 miles in 20 minutes (9:16 pace). Felt pretty good, although my hip was bothering me by the end. Goals for the week (we haven't done this in awhile)! 1. Run 3 times this week 2. Swim at least 2x this week 3. Meal prep!

Great work Nicole!  

I have been battling the hip for a few years now.  Its actually pretty common.  I've got some stretches I use which actually do help.  If you need some let me know I'll see if I can find them online and post them.

That would be awesome! Anything to help this! I've had this problem since I was in HS. A podiatrist told me that my right leg is shorter than my left and it causes the ball of my joint to kind of pull out of the socket. I used to have a lift in my orthotic but my newer ones don't have it.
2018-04-04 9:16 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Cool video, John!

I've run to and from the gym the last two mornings (about a mile each way). Did Sprint (HIIT cycling) yesterday, and boot camp today. My body is dead but in a good way. Saw some of my masters teammates at the pool this morning, and they are planning on going again tomorrow so I will likely meet them (maybe even will run to and from the gym again!). Then Friday can be a day off and Saturday I can go to masters practice.

I also just learned about a race today that I am considering (although the long course is super expensive!) https://runsignup.com/Race/MD/Boonsboro/IGNITESwimRunMaryland
One of my masters teammates is considering it as well so we might do it together. You are tethered to another person the whole time. Super interesting.

2018-04-04 9:21 AM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by nicole14e

Great work Nicole!  

That would be awesome! Anything to help this! I've had this problem since I was in HS. A podiatrist told me that my right leg is shorter than my left and it causes the ball of my joint to kind of pull out of the socket. I used to have a lift in my orthotic but my newer ones don't have it.

I had been told that before too, about one leg shorter than the other. My PT is a "posture restoration" guy and in my case I have chronic tightness in my psoas (hip hiker muscle) and also some muscle imbalances in my glutes and hips; throws everything off.
2018-04-04 9:22 AM

User image

, Vermont

I also just learned about a race today that I am considering (although the long course is super expensive!) https://runsignup.com/Race/MD/Boonsboro/IGNITESwimRunMaryland
One of my masters teammates is considering it as well so we might do it together. You are tethered to another person the whole time. Super interesting.

whoa, that's interesting! I can't imagine being tethered to someone! Talk about teamwork!!
2018-04-04 12:17 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Great work Nicole!  

I have a bit of the shorter on one side thing as well (my right) but it isn't that severe.  Mostly my issues are related to sitting all day, which shortens my hip flexors and hamstrings, and puts my glutes 'to sleep' (not active, as opposed to numb).

The stretch I use from PT for he hamstrings is called the 'sink stretch' because you're supposed to do it while standing at the kitchen sink.  Unfortunately someone in crossfit decided to call something completely different a sink stretch and the internet search turns up mostly that.  In any case - stand at the sink (or other similar height counter), legs shoulder width apart and straight at the knees (don't lock the knees out though, that's never good).  With hands on the edge of the countertop, bend forward at the hips in one smooth motion until you can feel the hamstrings stretc, hold for like a second, and then stand back up.  My PT had me do it in 30 reps but legit that makes me dizzy, so I do it in 3 blocks of 10 or two of 15.

For the hip flexor itself, which is where I feel the most pain, they had me do Warrior 1

Image result for warrior 1

I'm not nearly as flexible as that lady, and so my back leg isn't nearly that far back.  It's more the motion of straightening the torso from the back leg, with arms overhead, that you can start to feel the hip flexor stretch.  Sometimes if I'm loose and not feeling it right away, I can just try harder to straighten at the abs and it'll pull enough on the hip flexor to stretch.

Also don't know if you're like me, but my stretching and strength always revert back to the 'go big or go home' mentality. The idea with stretches like these is gradual lengthening and pain relief - you're just supposed to stretch far enough to feel it stretching.  Not 'as far as you can go without crying'.  LOL.

If I do those consistently I can keep the hip flexor pain at bay.  I also get hip pain from tight IT bands sometimes, that's a whole separate issue with separate stretches.

2018-04-04 4:08 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

I keep reading how SwimRun is all the rage and is the next great adventure race.  

For anyone not oriented, it's not nearly like 'splash and dash', which of course is triathlon without the bike leg.  Swim Run isn't that.  It's a cross country type thing, involving open water and land crossings. 

Here wikipedia has a better definition than I can come up with:

"What defines a swimrun is that its always carried out outdoors and in water where the goal is to go from a starting point to a finish point through a course with at least 2 swim and run sections. All the equipment that a participant starts with has to be carried all the way to the finish line. "

So if you want to swim in a wetsuit, you have to run in it too. Or if you want to run in running shoes, guess what - swim in them.    

2018-04-05 7:06 AM
in reply to: #5240733

User image

, Vermont
1600 yds in at noon yesterday finally actually following one of the plan’s swims. Afternoon I got a half hour on the trainer followed by a mile run. Had dinner on so had to get back.

2018-04-05 8:35 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
John, thanks for the stretching suggestions, I will definitely try them out!

My two friends I was talking to about the SwimRun are both out One has a bridal shower and one doesn't like the sound of it haha. I definitely don't like the idea of swimming with my shoes (I believe you can take them off but then need a bag or something to carry them, then you would have to put them on when you get out). You can use a pull buoy, so I guess that would help if you want to keep them on.

Met up with some masters teammates to swim this morning. Did 1800 yards. My body is pretty exhausted from all the workouts I've done this week (in a good way). Might run tomorrow, but I might take the day off too. Haven't decided yet. My arms are tired while typing...that's how dead I am haha.
2018-04-05 11:28 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

It's OK to take a day off if that's what your body needs. Just don't fall into a lazy rut!

I'm finally getting back into the swing of things. Swam a short 600m yesterday and went for a 3 mile run this morning. Feels good to get the blood moving again! This weekend I have a 25k trail run scheduled, however I may drop down to the 10k distance to avoid hurting myself due to the lapse in training.

2018-04-05 1:01 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Jenn, love the new pic!

Mark, if you haven't been training, doing less is probably a good idea. 15ish miles would be a lot! Either way though, good luck!!
2018-04-05 1:29 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e Jenn, love the new pic! Mark, if you haven't been training, doing less is probably a good idea. 15ish miles would be a lot! Either way though, good luck!!

+1 to that!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 53673 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13517 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363