BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-11-27 10:21 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open
Yay they took the spam down. I may be the only one that saw it haha. It was weird.

2018-11-27 11:55 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Gretchen - psyched for your coaching scholarship!  That's huge for your IM especially with all the travel!

Mike - welcome back and jealous of the trip!  I can't see the pic either but I'm sure it's a palm tree and the beach.  What more do you need?

Nicole - great work staying on top of the activity!  I've done nothing for two weeks and it's hurting me already.  I don't do well with full rest periods, I need to do SOMETHING, and I'm currently not, unless unpacking and assembling furniture counts

Probably a long shot here, none of you guys are into gravel biking are you?

2018-11-27 12:37 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e Yay they took the spam down. I may be the only one that saw it haha. It was weird.

Man, that's two this week.  The other day I reported the one selling foreign passports.  Now one completely in German?

2018-11-27 4:03 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

New user
Madrid
50 min bike intervals, getting ready for 2019. Looking at some grand fondo around May or June (usually 180 to 200km with 4-5 big climbs).

Gretchen - congrats on your free-coach! I am a prof at the uni as well, and never had a coach. I just follow plans, but having a coach would push you to do even better, lucky you.

Mike - I thought Cancun was always sunny and good weather! I am travelling to Dubai for a couple days, hopefully much better weather than here in Madrid.

Nicole/John- did not see any of that spam, strange...

John - what is exactly gravel graving?

Juan
2018-11-28 7:42 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by firebert

Gretchen - psyched for your coaching scholarship!  That's huge for your IM especially with all the travel!

Mike - welcome back and jealous of the trip!  I can't see the pic either but I'm sure it's a palm tree and the beach.  What more do you need?

Nicole - great work staying on top of the activity!  I've done nothing for two weeks and it's hurting me already.  I don't do well with full rest periods, I need to do SOMETHING, and I'm currently not, unless unpacking and assembling furniture counts

Probably a long shot here, none of you guys are into gravel biking are you?

Unpacking can be a workout, as can assembling furniture!
Maybe try adding in a little workout while you are unpacking. Like, for every box you unpack, do 10 squats and 10 pushups. For every piece of furniture you assemble, do 20 mountain climbers, 5 burpees and 20 bicycle kicks. Then stretch/foam roll and have a beer
2018-11-28 7:46 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I also don't know what gravel biking is.

Went to boot camp this morning even though I'm super stressed prepping for my final that is tomorrow evening. I had some stress dreams so had to decide between boot camp and studying. I figured a workout would be good for my sanity.

Also, update on the pool drama. My boss has decided to make both mornings that we work out a "social swim," where people of higher swim levels have designated lanes and can do a coordinated workout. We get 3 lanes and basically just need to include anyone who wants to join, which we have already been doing. It also has to be member driven, so my friend and I who work at Merritt cannot appear to be running it, which is fine because that is already the case.

2018-11-28 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e I also don't know what gravel biking is. Went to boot camp this morning even though I'm super stressed prepping for my final that is tomorrow evening. I had some stress dreams so had to decide between boot camp and studying. I figured a workout would be good for my sanity. Also, update on the pool drama. My boss has decided to make both mornings that we work out a "social swim," where people of higher swim levels have designated lanes and can do a coordinated workout. We get 3 lanes and basically just need to include anyone who wants to join, which we have already been doing. It also has to be member driven, so my friend and I who work at Merritt cannot appear to be running it, which is fine because that is already the case.

That sounds like a reasonable resolution.  Love the Merritt pool drama!!!

Bikram yesterday and a bike lunch and swim evening double today.  Also got a crown replaced which while not pleasant, was really cool seeing how they make them with the 3D imaging of my teeth (vs. a plaster mold in the old days) and a robotic reverse 3D printer thingy that makes it on-site while you wait (vs. a temporary crown and waiting 3 weeks for a lab to do it).  In and out of there in under two hours.

2018-11-28 12:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida

Gravel biking is to road cycling what trail running is to, well, road running.  Mostly... I mean the trail runs Mark (MOlsen) does are more akin to mountain biking...but I digress.

You guys probably don't watch cyclocross either...  In any case, take what is basically a road bike frame, add provisions for wide tire clearance and mud build-up (either disc brakes or the old cantilver style brakes).  Instead of the crazy (and expensive) suspension get ups they use on mountain  bikes, you rely on wide somewhat treaded tires to get you through some terrain.  Think - a road bike you ride on dirt roads.  Or grass/muddy/hilly tracks, in the case of cyclocross).  

I started getting into the idea of 'cross when I was living in MA, and now that I live in central FL I'm surrounded by a wealth of opportunity in off road riding.  I've been told 'you could ride gravel for 10 years around here and never do the same route twice'.  You can't go as fast as you can on the road of course, but the lack of cars trying to kill you and intersections of death is very attractive to me...Plus you can set them up for bikepacking (think backpack camping, but on a bike).

Here's a travelogue on bikepacking to DC, close to home for Nicole and Mike

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/information/news/gravel-packing-to-the-museum.html

Here, this is one of the new bikes I looked at - Salsa Journeyman:

Edited by firebert 2018-11-28 2:04 PM

(salsa journeyman.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
salsa journeyman.jpg (11KB - 20 downloads)
2018-11-28 1:03 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

DeLand, Florida

Juan - what weather do you consider 'bad' in Madrid? 

Nicole - Glad the pool drama is sorted (for now, we all know that sort of business is never over...people always seem to need something to complain about!).  And thanks for the idea of the squats and bike kicks etc. - I need stuff like that to do until I have access to weights again.  And my bike...and a pool....

Mike - although having a crown sucks, that's a wonder of technology right there!  "I have a 3D printed tooth, check it out" 

2018-11-29 7:25 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by firebert

Gravel biking is to road cycling what trail running is to, well, road running.  Mostly... I mean the trail runs Mark (MOlsen) does are more akin to mountain biking...but I digress.

You guys probably don't watch cyclocross either...  In any case, take what is basically a road bike frame, add provisions for wide tire clearance and mud build-up (either disc brakes or the old cantilver style brakes).  Instead of the crazy (and expensive) suspension get ups they use on mountain  bikes, you rely on wide somewhat treaded tires to get you through some terrain.  Think - a road bike you ride on dirt roads.  Or grass/muddy/hilly tracks, in the case of cyclocross).  

I started getting into the idea of 'cross when I was living in MA, and now that I live in central FL I'm surrounded by a wealth of opportunity in off road riding.  I've been told 'you could ride gravel for 10 years around here and never do the same route twice'.  You can't go as fast as you can on the road of course, but the lack of cars trying to kill you and intersections of death is very attractive to me...Plus you can set them up for bikepacking (think backpack camping, but on a bike).

Here's a travelogue on bikepacking to DC, close to home for Nicole and Mike

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/information/news/gravel-packing-to-the-museum.html

Here, this is one of the new bikes I looked at - Salsa Journeyman:

I've toyed with the idea of taking my old Fuji and "gravelizing" it as best I can...wider tires (subject to clearance, which I think is going to be the limiter), a seat with more shock absorption, and a wider cassette range.  Just haven't gotten around to it yet.  My drive train is about toast on that bike, too, so I probably need new brifters and derailleurs so I might as well buy a new damn bike after all that LOL.

2018-11-29 9:21 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I've toyed with the idea of taking my old Fuji and "gravelizing" it as best I can...wider tires (subject to clearance, which I think is going to be the limiter), a seat with more shock absorption, and a wider cassette range.  Just haven't gotten around to it yet.  My drive train is about toast on that bike, too, so I probably need new brifters and derailleurs so I might as well buy a new damn bike after all that LOL.

That's not a bad idea.  The tire clearance is really the killer, with rim brakes.  Typically even if frame/fork will hold wider, there's just so far those rim brakes will open up to accommodate.  I've have heard of plenty of people riding graded dirt roads on 25s and 28s though.  More padded seat, cushy bar tape, viola.  I saw a blurb about people in less developed countries with no paved roads don't have 'road bikes' and 'gravel bikes' - they have 'bikes'. 

Nowadays you can get a full Tiagra groupset (new Tiagra is 10sp, basically a few years' ago 105) in the $300s.  ($337, just found it at Merlin.  Then saw they have a full 105 11sp groupset for the same price)

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/shimano-105-5800-11-speed-groupset-72462.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Road+Bike+Groupsets&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy5Lnq_H53gIV2eR3Ch0MKAU-EAQYAyABEgJSJfD_BwE

2018-11-29 11:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I skipped swimming this morning in order to study for the exam I'm taking tonight. I'm a little nervous about it, but also only need a 22/50 to get a C in the class, so I'm probably fine. Glad I didn't go though b/c apparently the lifeguard fell asleep on one of the couches and the pool was opened late. I would've been very frustrated waking up that early and just standing around for 15 minutes while someone gets a nap.

Once I get through this exam I'm pretty much free (still have one class but it's an easy one) to focus on working out and eating well (or as well as I can through the holidays). Pretty excited to have a little freedom! I haven't had a break from classes in a year!

Edited by nicole14e 2018-11-29 11:47 AM
2018-11-29 1:24 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e I skipped swimming this morning in order to study for the exam I'm taking tonight. I'm a little nervous about it, but also only need a 22/50 to get a C in the class, so I'm probably fine. Glad I didn't go though b/c apparently the lifeguard fell asleep on one of the couches and the pool was opened late. I would've been very frustrated waking up that early and just standing around for 15 minutes while someone gets a nap. Once I get through this exam I'm pretty much free (still have one class but it's an easy one) to focus on working out and eating well (or as well as I can through the holidays). Pretty excited to have a little freedom! I haven't had a break from classes in a year!

Cheers to freedom!

2018-11-29 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e I skipped swimming this morning in order to study for the exam I'm taking tonight. I'm a little nervous about it, but also only need a 22/50 to get a C in the class, so I'm probably fine. Glad I didn't go though b/c apparently the lifeguard fell asleep on one of the couches and the pool was opened late. I would've been very frustrated waking up that early and just standing around for 15 minutes while someone gets a nap. Once I get through this exam I'm pretty much free (still have one class but it's an easy one) to focus on working out and eating well (or as well as I can through the holidays). Pretty excited to have a little freedom! I haven't had a break from classes in a year!

What?? 

I mean, our gym isn't some mom and pop shop or a small YMCA that you have to wait for someone to open the door.  No one could get into the pool area?  Wow.

2018-11-30 8:51 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

What?? 

I mean, our gym isn't some mom and pop shop or a small YMCA that you have to wait for someone to open the door.  No one could get into the pool area?  Wow.

Yeah, they lock all the doors going into the pool! So I guess she went in, locked the door behind her and passed out haha
2018-11-30 8:53 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I passed my exam so am FREE! At least of the horrible science courses I've been taking over the last year and a half.

Celebrated with a few Natty Boh's (local light beer that many of you would frown upon but I quite enjoy...and they're cheap!). Now I can focus on ME!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2018-11-30 9:15 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e I passed my exam so am FREE! At least of the horrible science courses I've been taking over the last year and a half. Celebrated with a few Natty Boh's (local light beer that many of you would frown upon but I quite enjoy...and they're cheap!). Now I can focus on ME! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

YES!!!!  Congrats on the worst being over and focusing on you!!!!

2018-11-30 3:25 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Ciclocross!!! Now we are talking!! It used to be so popular long time ago, but still I can see it on tv now and then... tough, very tough!!

Nicole, congrats on your exam!

Did some swimming on the beach, my Garmin says 2000m, but 30 min open water swim is never more than 1500m for me....anyway, 30ºC in Abu Dhabi...just so you can be bit jealous!!

Have a great weekend,
Juan
2018-11-30 4:37 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

DeLand, Florida

I'm loving the heck out of cyclcross, and of course after I moved away from one of the cyclocross hot spots in the US...I get to watch on TV since I'm the type of cycling nerd that pays for the NBC SPorts Gold Cycling pass.  I get all the World Cup races that way.

It's not quite 30C, but it is 25C here in Florida.  Just sitting on the back patio, having a beer and enjoying the weather.  Going to an outdoor artisan fair downtown tonight.  

2018-11-30 9:40 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
24-25C here in Egypt too!! (during the day!--gets down to about 9C , which is a tad chilly without any heat!).

Up for an early morning run this morning. No dogs! Ok...what I should say is no living dogs! It appears that someone/some people have taken it upon themselves to cull the dog population in the area. There are currently about 10 dead dogs on the far side of the road in front of our house. Yesterday, we were out walking around the site working on a tourism guidebook and saw several dead dogs spread about the city too. It is really hard to be an animal lover here, but at least I won't get head butted again (in the leg, Nicole!).

New coach says training plan will start on Monday for my IM distance in August! Super excited!! I'll be using TrainingPeaks to track workouts, which I've not done before I imported all of my data from BT and it shows a fitness graph. There is a big, huge, downward trajectory since my HIM in October. Of course, I don't usually log my runs in Egypt, since the internet isn't great and I can't always get on and when I do get on, I often forget to do it until just after severing the connection. So, there is some hope it isn't as bad as that graph suggests!

2018-12-03 8:17 AM
in reply to: #5232499

User image

, Vermont
Finally checking back in. Lot going on in November and May have some neat news to share soon. However, not as much on the training front as if hoped..

Nicole, congrats on the test!! What a load off your mind! Enjoy the holidays! I’m glad you took care of the spammer. I never saw the post but not a fan when spammers comment. The resolution at the pool sounds great, I’m glad they were able to work things out.

Gretchen, I’m happy to hear the dogs won’t be bothering you anymore.. but as a dog owner.. ?? sad about their choice of remedy.
How exciting about you getting a coach and definitely YES to going to Australia and still doing the full!! I would love any coach pointers for travelers!! I may be gone from home for Jan/Feb and my full is end of July so I am already panicked.

Juan, we have 188cm of snow already here in VT... ski areas are loving it.. not even close to 30* C. Haha.

2018-12-03 10:03 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by aviatrix802  Juan, we have 188cm of snow already here in VT... ski areas are loving it.. not even close to 30* C. Haha.

Are you at least close to 30*F?  

Also - that is not a small amount of snow for the beginning of December!!!  Thanksgiving to Christmas was always considered 'early season' skiing when I was in UMass Ski Club (ahem, 25 years ago....)

2018-12-03 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

We've even had snow here in Baltimore already with more possible late this weekend into next week.  Early winter for sure.

Got it 45 minutes of hell on the trainer this morning - 4 x 4 @ 105%.  Ouch.  Going to try to get in an easy swim later while my daughter practices.

Also super excited - I'm going to the Citrus Bowl - we were there in Orlando anyway over the New Year's break but now with Penn State playing right down the road, I couldn't resist.

2018-12-03 9:10 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
4x4 @105%?! Ouch--that hurts me!

I got in another short run this morning. I'm averaging a run every three days, which isn't great, but it is something. The last two days I've spent laying on the (rocky, hard) ground surface excavating a baby grave (~1yo) from the surface. Hard on the body to lift your weight every time you breathe. Hard on the soul to excavate a baby grave.
2018-12-07 8:05 PM
in reply to: #5252303

User image

, Vermont
Spin class Tuesday and RPM class Thursday. Hoping for a run in Atlanta tomorrow.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 53395 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13437 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363