BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-11-12 8:37 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open
Got 3000 in the pool on Saturday with my #swimsquad, then had 2 football games in the afternoon (it was supposed to be 3 but one team forfeited). After basically 2 weeks of not doing much and being sick, I was pretty exhausted by the end. Went to BodyFlow yesterday to get some stretching and such in, and I'm so happy I did! Gonna try to get to it more often. I have lessons around that time a lot but I think I'm going to schedule it so I don't anymore.

2018-11-12 9:49 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
4:30am run in the books. No dogs this morning at all and the guards were more agreeable.

Half of my team arrived yesterday. It is so awesome to be reunited with them. I spent the last two weeks as a visitor with another team, and while everyone is perfectly nice and I got a lot of work done, the vibe was totally different. It feels like being home when my team is here.
2018-11-13 9:55 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove 4:30am run in the books. No dogs this morning at all and the guards were more agreeable. Half of my team arrived yesterday. It is so awesome to be reunited with them. I spent the last two weeks as a visitor with another team, and while everyone is perfectly nice and I got a lot of work done, the vibe was totally different. It feels like being home when my team is here.

Yay for all of this!

2018-11-13 9:58 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

DeLand, Florida

One week post HM.  Last week's 3 runs (45 min, 45 min, 6 miles) were the last week of my HM plan, a post race cool down if you will.  Was planning on running a 10 miler on Thanksgiving morning, but we're hosting dinner this year in the new house which is SO not ready for prime time if you will, setback after setback with furniture.  Anyway it would keep me out of the house too many important hours on Thanksgiving morning, so I'm not going to register.  

Where does that leave me?  Looking for my next race or a training plan or offseason plan or SOMETHING to keep me off the...well I'd say off the couch, but that isn't arriving until December....

2018-11-13 12:39 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I didn't make it to the pool this morning because I needed to meal prep. I haven't been fueling my body well lately so made an executive decision that one extra hour of sleep and healthy eats are what I needed to focus on. So glad I did. Had HB eggs and avocado for bfast, just ate a delicious kale salad for lunch, and have chili waiting for me in my crock pot at home.

Had vball last night and have a football game tonight. Tomorrow I will either swim or go to boot camp, although I'm pretty sure I will get dizzy if I do boot camp since I'm still not 100% back from being sick last week. Probably best to ease back into it.
2018-11-14 4:04 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to boot camp this morning, then had a meeting with my boss. I want to get your opinions on something (sorry in advance for the long post).

My gym has masters practices but they are all at inconvenient times. A group of us have been meeting on Tuesday and Thursday mornings to get a workout in. There are 9 of us that are on a text chain but we typically have about 5 or so show up. Apparently people have noticed and according to my boss they either think we are the masters team or complain that the pool is too busy and don't swim.

We did not know this was an issue until she talked to her boss, who then spoke to one of my friends who is another masters coach. We reached out to her to discuss how we could help grow the masters team. She is trying to make both mornings that we meet a masters practice, which would require us to pay. Are we out of line saying that we just want one practice to be official? We are very welcoming if people want to join us and will condense down to as many lanes as possible when we are there so others do not have to circle swim. She says one of the reasons it's an issue is b/c people know I work there, which makes it seem official (I highly doubt a majority of the people complaining know who I am and that I work there), which now makes me feel like I shouldn't go so my friends can keep meeting, but that seems very unfair to me.

I suggested that we make one morning official, and one more of an unofficial practice, just like we offer group fitness classes to members that they do not need to pay extra for. She thinks people will just go to that and not to the masters practice. I'd love to get opinions from you guys. Would you be annoyed by a group like mine meeting to get a workout in? Do you have any thoughts on how we could remedy this situation without making us pay extra on both days that we meet? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2018-11-16 12:32 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
This is just pool drama. Seriously, people get into their bathing suits and all common sense and reason goes out the window. You are all paying members of the gym/pool You show up at the same time and workout together. I don't see this as any different than if you were to all come at the same time for a track workout or a lifting session. You aren't taking up all the lanes. You aren't hanging out on the edge of the pool to chat for 20 minutes after each length.

I don't get it when people complain that the pool is busy. That is a good thing! Maybe your manager should offer to put up a sign that helps people figure out how to share lanes, not try to chase you all away.

Sorry, I really have no suggestions for this one. I share your frustrations though!

Quick 2.5mi run yesterday morning. Today (Friday) is our off day, so, naturally, I'm working on paperwork. *sigh*
2018-11-16 8:58 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

This is just pool drama. Seriously, people get into their bathing suits and all common sense and reason goes out the window. You are all paying members of the gym/pool You show up at the same time and workout together. I don't see this as any different than if you were to all come at the same time for a track workout or a lifting session. You aren't taking up all the lanes. You aren't hanging out on the edge of the pool to chat for 20 minutes after each length.

I don't get it when people complain that the pool is busy. That is a good thing! Maybe your manager should offer to put up a sign that helps people figure out how to share lanes, not try to chase you all away.

Sorry, I really have no suggestions for this one. I share your frustrations though!

Quick 2.5mi run yesterday morning. Today (Friday) is our off day, so, naturally, I'm working on paperwork. *sigh*

Thank you! That's what I was thinking. She made a comment like "well if he doesn't come back, he is just one member." Um, no, we are actually 7 members and 2 employees. And I found out later she got one complaint, not a lot. If we are chased away, she will get 7 complaints, I do not doubt that at all.

Her boss is on our side and we are going to all meet after Thanksgiving to come up with a plan that doesn't break up our swim squad. I definitely agree people need to learn how to share lanes better. I get that circle swimming is not ideal for people not doing the same workout, but if people can get in lanes with similarly paced people it would all be fine.
2018-11-16 9:49 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi All, I need some advice. I might have an opportunity to spend a couple of months in Australia in the spring. A friend and colleague of mine will be starting a new job there in the spring and we need about four months together in a room to finish off a big monograph we have been working on for four years. Here's the catch. I signed up for a full distance tri in August. Do you think it is possible for me to both go to Australia for a couple of months, where hopefully they will have a pool/gym and still train for a full? I know it would be logistically difficult, especially concerning living arrangements and such, but I think I could manage it, but I'm not sure I want to give up my full distance dream for work (ok, it would be a hell of a lot of fun too). Thoughts?

Why do once-in-a- lifetime opportunities show up in pairs?!?!?!?!
2018-11-18 9:34 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short 5K this morning in the dark at the dig house. Not much going on here other than work, running, and drinking really awful Egyptian beer. It is called Stella (NOT Stella Artois)--a lager that has been being made since 1832. You'd think, in that amount of time, they'd have figured out how to make it not taste like a skunk was one of the integral ingredients. It is pretty gross on its own, but if you put some Sprite/7Up in it, it isn't that bad.
2018-11-19 8:56 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, if anyone can train while working in Australia, it's you. You have a great work ethic! I think it is definitely doable, and hopefully you have good weather and access to gyms and what not so you can get it all done! Will you be there during their winter? Have you looked at what the weather is typically like during the time you will be there?

2018-11-19 11:09 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e Gretchen, if anyone can train while working in Australia, it's you. You have a great work ethic! I think it is definitely doable, and hopefully you have good weather and access to gyms and what not so you can get it all done! Will you be there during their winter? Have you looked at what the weather is typically like during the time you will be there?

All of this, plus if you can train in the environment you're in now in Egypt, certainly Australia would be easy!

Probably the biggest factor would be how much you're expecting to work vs. how much time that leaves you for training.  Well that and the weather as mentioned.

2018-11-19 4:00 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Hi All, I need some advice.

If there is a country to work and train is Australia! It may depend where about you will be staying, but every time I go there (been 3 times this year and once in NZ) I am always amazed at how much free time they have to do sports, for those who like it. So the problem will not be in Australia, but how engaged your will be with your book!

Juan
2018-11-19 9:40 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi All, Thanks for the advice! I took a look at my training plan and the trip would be during the first build phase in April and May. Weather there is pretty nice for "winter", with temps in the mid 50s as highs (or so my app tells me). I'd be in Melbourne. Only real concern is that the weather app says the daylight is really short there, like 5 hours a day at that time of the year. I'd be doing most of the training inside anyway. That and whether I'd be able to get a good enough workout of the right muscles on a spin bike.

Book will be a priority, but my friend will also be teaching classes and starting her new job, so I'm confident there will be plenty of time to fit in the training. Plus, I tend to get up about four hours before her on a normal day, so there is that time too. :P
2018-11-20 7:55 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Hi All, Thanks for the advice! I took a look at my training plan and the trip would be during the first build phase in April and May. Weather there is pretty nice for "winter", with temps in the mid 50s as highs (or so my app tells me). I'd be in Melbourne. Only real concern is that the weather app says the daylight is really short there, like 5 hours a day at that time of the year. I'd be doing most of the training inside anyway. That and whether I'd be able to get a good enough workout of the right muscles on a spin bike.

Book will be a priority, but my friend will also be teaching classes and starting her new job, so I'm confident there will be plenty of time to fit in the training. Plus, I tend to get up about four hours before her on a normal day, so there is that time too. :P

DO ITTTTTTT!!!!!!!
2018-11-20 7:57 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had vball last night and swam a solid 2400 this morning. Have football tonight and I'm going to try to get to boot camp in the morning. Might also swim before my lessons tomorrow evening before I head up to PA, and I'm doing a turkey trot 5k on Thursday. I haven't run in awhile but I'm sure it will be fine. I usually run with my niece anyway.

2018-11-21 7:29 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Football last night was fun. I made it to boot camp this morning but my arms and legs were pretty dead from the day before. Now I can barely lift my arms and the walk up the hill to my office was a struggle. This 5k tomorrow should go well...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE! (everyone who celebrates it at least)
2018-11-21 1:29 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!!

And good luck Nicole (and anyone else) running a Turkey Trot!

2018-11-23 11:44 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thank you! I ran a 24:22. Felt pretty good throughout, especially since I have not been running at all recently. I usually run with my niece but she ran with her friends so I just wanted to finish ASAP, especially since it was around 20 degrees Fahrenheit when the race began. So cold.
2018-11-24 7:36 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Great spin class yesterday with regaetton music (never thought I would say it was great...I am more in the Stones), and today 7k run at 5.24, very happy to be again highly motivated and looking forward to next season!

Juan
2018-11-25 9:33 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Congrats Nicole on the Turkey Trot success!!

I've kind of been slacking on the running lately. The excavations are blasting my legs this year for some reason. I guess standing on one foot while leaning over to touch your toes and then moving your body upright about 5000 times a day can get tiring. Seriously--archaeology is rough on the body. Yesterday I was working in a pit that the top sits about my waist height. Now--imagine trying to get out of that without damaging the walls or pulling sand into the grave you just cleaned out meticulously with a paintbrush and teaspoon. Flexibility is key! Anyway, after all that every morning I assess whether anything hurts before a run. Something always seems to hurt!

I did get up and do 2 quick miles this morning. The angry pack of dogs is back and this time one of them headbutted me!! I ended up cutting the run just a hair short to avoid them.

2018-11-25 10:15 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Super excited!! I just found out I was selected for a coaching scholarship from BSC Multisport (they posted here a couple of weeks ago). I was thinking of getting a coach for my full next season, but I couldn't justify the expense for a hobby. Now, best of both worlds!

Anyone else have a coach? I'm interested to see how this goes. In my every day life I'm used to being the one to tell other people what to do and bristle at being told what to do (University faculty are notorious for not wanted to be told what to do). In triathlon, however, I'm totally happy to be told what to do and am willing to follow training plans down to the letter (or, nearly so).
2018-11-26 10:07 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen - 1) It HEADBUTTED you?! Like, into your leg or into your head? OMG I would've been terrified.

2) So cool about the coaching scholarship! I've never had a coach but I think I would greatly benefit. How awesome that you will get one! I bet it's great because you are already so motivated and this way you will have someone to talk to about how you're feeling and advise you on how to adjust based on that or whether to push through when you're tired. I think that's really cool. Keep us posted!
2018-11-26 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, everyone - back on the grid after vacation in Cancun.  The view from our balcony :

The weather was fantastic  = low 80s and sunny for five straight days.  I've NEVER had weather that nice there.

Did very little training-wise down there, but since I got back I haven't missed a day - even hammered the trainer for an hour on Thanksgiving.  Been doing lots of Bikram Yoga, too.

Cool to see everyone busy and training - here's to a great 2019!

2018-11-27 8:02 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I just reported that guy as spam, FYI. It will be reviewed by an admin.

Mike, welcome back! The picture didn't show up for me but it's probably for the best. I'd just be jealous and sad that it's so cold here haha.

Played some volleyball last night and got in about 2800 yds in the pool this morning. It was a rough one. I got home and had to sit on my couch for about 20 minutes before I could get moving, and my walk to work is up a big hill that pretty much crushed me this morning. Felt good though. I was at an all time high for weight yesterday morning so am getting back on track this week.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 53014 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13216 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363