General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Itchin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-06-27 10:40 AM

Subject: Itchin
I am just sitting here itching to race.
After knocking off the bucketlist full last year, I hadn't put much thought into what I would do this year.
Sure, there's the local races and such. Signed up for those. Thought about a marathon, but that sounded boring.
So I went looking for opportunities within easy driving distance.

I've found one about 5 weeks out. Problem is, they have an Olympic and a half distance.
I've not been training for a half in any significant way....but I am itching. I'm sure I could do it. I'm swimming 2-3 times a week. Getting in 20 miles of running...and plenty of riding...a few 40 minute bouts a week and at least 50 on the weekend. I just haven't been *training* for it.

I know I should just do the Olympic and call it good...and see what the race is like and pencil in the half for next year.

But dang.....I know I could do it. To complete it. I'm running

I'm giving myself until Monday to decide. We'll see how the weekend goes mixing in "a little more" than what I've been doing.

Don't hesitate to talk me off the ladder.

2018-06-27 2:37 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: RE: Itchin
At the risk of sounding politically incorrect....

Man up and get to that half!!!

You've got the experience under your belt to know what you can do, its not like your a novice who can't comprehend the effort and distance.

This is your challenge, take it on, master it...and then when your done brag about it here!!

2018-06-27 4:47 PM
in reply to: 0

Yah.....
It was more of the "family" and "wife" time I'd be taking up.
But, I did just promise to go "glamping" with her...not something I'm interested in.
And....she just accidentally deleted ALL of the hundreds of pictures she's taken with her phone....and she called me in tears a few minutes ago to tell me about it.

I...of course....being the techy and wonderful husband that I am...had long ago set her phone to auto backup to a local cloud I bought a few years back.

So.....I kinda have some triathlon capital to work with.

I'm gonna push it a bit this weekend and move my regular 8 miler to a 10 miler....following my usual mile or so in the pool.
And...maybe throw in a 10 minute run after Sunday's ride.

And then decide on Monday.

Edited by jhaack39 2018-06-27 4:49 PM
2018-06-27 6:08 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
spend those spousal approval units and race!

I vote for whatever distance you feel you can do well at and be comfortable racing...but your training volume sounds more like OLY than HIM to me

and I second the notion of letting us know (post race brag is important, ya' know?!?)
2018-06-27 9:52 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by jhaack39 I am just sitting here itching to race. After knocking off the bucketlist full last year, I hadn't put much thought into what I would do this year. Sure, there's the local races and such. Signed up for those. Thought about a marathon, but that sounded boring. So I went looking for opportunities within easy driving distance. I've found one about 5 weeks out. Problem is, they have an Olympic and a half distance. I've not been training for a half in any significant way....but I am itching. I'm sure I could do it. I'm swimming 2-3 times a week. Getting in 20 miles of running...and plenty of riding...a few 40 minute bouts a week and at least 50 on the weekend. I just haven't been *training* for it. I know I should just do the Olympic and call it good...and see what the race is like and pencil in the half for next year. But dang.....I know I could do it. To complete it. I'm running I'm giving myself until Monday to decide. We'll see how the weekend goes mixing in "a little more" than what I've been doing. Don't hesitate to talk me off the ladder.

Well...I was in your position 7 weeks out from a 70.3 race three hours from me Last year.  I hadn't done anything since my "A race" two months earlier and felt that a 70.3 might not be a good Idea, but I needed something to work towards so I put a 7 week training program together and did the race.  I PR's at the race by about 30 minutes too. I was glad that I did the race.   

2018-06-28 9:40 AM

User image

Franklin, TN

Oh, you can do it.  Just pace it based on your current fitness.  You probably need to bike a 60 miler (or 2 or 3) to gauge your cycling fitness.  It sounds like you have sufficient running mileage for a short build.

2018-06-28 12:20 PM
in reply to: JoelO

Originally posted by JoelO

Oh, you can do it.  Just pace it based on your current fitness.  You probably need to bike a 60 miler (or 2 or 3) to gauge your cycling fitness.  It sounds like you have sufficient running mileage for a short build.

Bike's no problem. I crank 50+ every weekend. And 2-3 other 40+min sessions a week.
Swim's cake. I'm decently fast (relative to AG and my non-competitive level of goals) swimmer without even trying.
I was running 10-13 milers a few months through April/May. Beginning of summer eats up my time.

The bike on this race has less total elevation than my regular 8-10 mile run.

The goal would be finishing in 7:59. Not even really 'competing' with myself or comparing to other 70.3s.
Just doing as well as I could based only a late run at putting effort into it. And having a blast. Swimming in a lake. Hanging out with other spandexed freaks.

It'll be hot. That's actually the biggest concern. I mean, could get freaky lucky and it'll be 73. It could wind up being 104.
Or we could have a tornado.

2018-07-29 6:23 PM
in reply to: #5245171

Ok...so I chickened out.
Sort of. I was worried about heat, as it's been so hot. So, I signed up for the olympic. Then the weather looked really good and the race was totally willing to let me change. But then I decided to spend some time with friends that live in that town (out of town race for me) and I didn't want to ditch them at 8 PM the night before and then fall asleep on them the next day.

Sure wish I was even a half decent runner. 3rd fastest AG swim and 2nd fastest bike. Terrible runner. Still ways happy to do it and had a lot of fun with friends.

Next year, though!
2018-07-30 8:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Do it.

Just be smart and no injuries!
2018-07-30 9:22 AM
in reply to: TriJayhawkRyan

Already didn't do it.
I stuck with the Olympic.
Mainly because I wanted to hang out with friends and not be wiped out.
I'm glad. I had a great weekend with my friends. And I had a great fun Olympic race.
2018-07-30 11:09 AM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by jhaack39

Ok...so I chickened out.
Sort of. I was worried about heat, as it's been so hot. So, I signed up for the olympic. Then the weather looked really good and the race was totally willing to let me change. But then I decided to spend some time with friends that live in that town (out of town race for me) and I didn't want to ditch them at 8 PM the night before and then fall asleep on them the next day.

Sure wish I was even a half decent runner. 3rd fastest AG swim and 2nd fastest bike. Terrible runner. Still ways happy to do it and had a lot of fun with friends.

Next year, though!

You didn't "chicken out" at all. You simply assessed your fitness relative to the race distance.

In my humble opinion you made the right call. Why be miserable for 7-8 hours just to put a "check in the box." Worse, if the weather is super hot the stress on your body could knock down your subsequent training for weeks.

Put the HIM on you to do list, train properly, and then go out have an absolute blast on race day.

Best of luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Itchin Rss Feed