General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Day Dilemma Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-07-09 8:27 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Race Day Dilemma
I have a dilemma....I have injured my leg and cannot run more than 1/2 a mile without pain. I am getting treatment and not yet sure if I will be able to run in the OLY 2 weeks from yesterday. Here's my dilemma....swimming and biking are no problem, so I considered doing those and then seeing how a run goes. If I cannot do it, I simply drop out. However, this race is popular and is always sold out with a waiting list. I am torn that I should back out altogether and let someone on the wait list participate who can finish.

Thoughts?

2018-07-09 4:07 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Race Day Dilemma
What I have done in the past was throw a relay team together. There will usually be additional cost but most RD's will just ask for the difference in cost. So maybe a couple friends can do 2 of the legs you can can either swim or bike. Many relays will let you do both swim and bike and another person do the run. Other option is to just see if you can run then pull out if necessary. I had my first DNF year before last because of a similar circumstance as you're seeing now.

Relays are good fun and brings the team concept into a mostly individual sport.
2018-07-10 1:45 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Regular
Originally posted by reecealan

What I have done in the past was throw a relay team together. There will usually be additional cost but most RD's will just ask for the difference in cost. So maybe a couple friends can do 2 of the legs you can can either swim or bike. Many relays will let you do both swim and bike and another person do the run. Other option is to just see if you can run then pull out if necessary. I had my first DNF year before last because of a similar circumstance as you're seeing now.

Relays are good fun and brings the team concept into a mostly individual sport.

Good suggestion, I will look into that. I guess I am torn because of it being a sold out race. I hate the thought of taking a spot from someone if I cant finish.
2018-07-10 2:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Maybe you're a more moral person than me..... I would feel little compunction about doing the race (or whatever part I was capable of) if I'd gone through the trouble and expense of signing up while slots were still available, and training for the event, particularly if I'd made travel arrangements that weren't totally refundable and my race entry wasn't refundable. There is, after all, no guarantee that anyone, either you or the person who gets your slot if you withdraw, is going to finish any given race, whether or not they get to the starting line healthy. Shhh... happens, all the time. That's no reason not to show up and do your best with what you have on that day.

Edited by Hot Runner 2018-07-10 2:08 PM
2018-07-10 3:02 PM

User image

Aledo, Texas

Some questions:

• what kind of pain are you having? Is it a nagging ache, or is it debilitating?
  • do you have any more races on your calendar this season?

If it were me, my inclination would largely depend on the answers to the above questions. If the pain is debilitating, I would skip the race to heal up. If it is more of an ache, then I would do the race only if I didn't have any more races on my calendar. I'd rather forego one race to heal up than to risk losing the rest of my season. If this were my last race, though, I'd throw caution to the wind and see what happens.

2018-07-10 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Don't know if you saw today but no more wait listers getting in. If you think you'll "enjoy" the swim/bike I'd say go ahead and do it and just drop the run if still hurting as no sense walking/dealing with the pain in what I'm sure will be brutal heat.

2018-07-10 9:12 PM

Originally posted by hessma

I have a dilemma....I have injured my leg and cannot run more than 1/2 a mile without pain. I am getting treatment and not yet sure if I will be able to run in the OLY 2 weeks from yesterday. Here's my dilemma....swimming and biking are no problem, so I considered doing those and then seeing how a run goes. If I cannot do it, I simply drop out. However, this race is popular and is always sold out with a waiting list. I am torn that I should back out altogether and let someone on the wait list participate who can finish.

Thoughts?

2 weeks is a lot of time. I'd wait it out and see. But if I couldn't run on it the day before I would DNS rather than start knowing I couldn't put up a decent time.
2018-07-11 6:53 AM
in reply to: colesdad

User image

Regular
Originally posted by colesdad

Don't know if you saw today but no more wait listers getting in. If you think you'll "enjoy" the swim/bike I'd say go ahead and do it and just drop the run if still hurting as no sense walking/dealing with the pain in what I'm sure will be brutal heat.

I did not see that. I guess that makes my decision much easier!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Day Dilemma Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Deleting races from my races

Started by trinunya
Views: 605 Posts: 3

2018-01-08 2:16 PM trinunya

8-20-17 Super Sunday Training Day

Started by rjcalhoun
Views: 551 Posts: 3

2017-08-21 8:44 AM robertChiefsFan

8.2.17 Happy Hump Day!

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 531 Posts: 4

2017-08-03 7:55 AM Hot Runner

7.19.17 Happy Hump Day!

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 533 Posts: 6

2017-07-20 7:51 AM LundyLund

Did you enjoy your new fitness on race day?

Started by nc452010
Views: 784 Posts: 5

2017-07-11 7:00 PM nc452010