BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-03-19 6:48 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
Originally posted by drfoodlove

At least it is healthier than what we did in 1998 before my wife had heart surgery. We were in college and we threw a "C might die" party with themed drinks and everything. We took shots right at midnight as the last thing C had to drink or eat before her surgery in the morning. The rest of us continued the party...until her parents showed up at 5am to take her to the hospital. They were NOT impressed with us AT ALL.

Ahhh...youth!

That is kind of hysterical. Sounds like a fun time!

Hope your surgery goes well!

2019-03-19 6:57 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Love to see this activity on here!

Got a 35' run in this afternoon. Felt pretty good for the most part, although I am still very much out of shape for running. Proud of myself for not sitting on the couch and avoiding it though!
2019-03-19 6:58 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by firebert

Nicole almost forgot - I'm jrgiza on Untappd, expect an invite soon.

Just went to add you, and discovered...we are already friends!!! Hahahaha I promise to be more active and interesting on there!
2019-03-19 7:00 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e

Nicole almost forgot - I'm jrgiza on Untappd, expect an invite soon.

Just went to add you, and discovered...we are already friends!!! Hahahaha I promise to be more active and interesting on there!

HAHA Just noticed the same!  You joined way back in the dark ages....2015.  

2019-03-19 7:02 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e Love to see this activity on here! Got a 35' run in this afternoon. Felt pretty good for the most part, although I am still very much out of shape for running. Proud of myself for not sitting on the couch and avoiding it though!

Awesome job getting it done. And remember, you only need to be in run shape on race day!

Got 45 mins in myself.  Consistent again, mile 1- mile 5.  This is amazing for me.  I'm thanking the weather, 60 and completely overcast.  

2019-03-19 7:07 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Oh and in the 'how the crap did I not know about this before' category, 'marathon loop lacing' or more simply the 'runner's loop'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWw958BlE4k

It's a little shoe lacing trick to stop your heel from slipping.  As a freak with wide forefeet and narrow heels, I've struggled always with shoes.  Anything big enough for my forefeet is way huge on my heels and they slip.  Brooks have been the best I've found but I still get some slipping, until today!  The loop trick worked wonders.

Ok wouldn't recommend it on your race day shoes, getting them on in T2 would be comical (John your race report has 14:15 for T2, that's a typo right?).  But once they're on, they stay on!  And without choking the tops of your feet.

2019-03-19 7:54 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well, I have now got an appointment to see the cardiologist next Wednesday. So hopefully by this time next week, I will either be cleared to go again, or at least have more of an idea what the problem, and hopefully treatment is. Still holding out hope for indigestion.

First Drs appointment I've ever had when I've been told to make sure I've got running/walking shoes with me as I'll likely be put on a treadmill... Does that count as a workout?

John; depending on the brand I've had lots of issues with slipping heals. I haven't heard it called the 'runners loop' but that is how I've been tying my laces for years. It works a treat.

Gretchen; good luck for your surgery. Hopefully it's complication free and you're back to full speed ahead right away.
2019-03-19 9:19 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by bulfrog Well, I have now got an appointment to see the cardiologist next Wednesday. So hopefully by this time next week, I will either be cleared to go again, or at least have more of an idea what the problem, and hopefully treatment is. Still holding out hope for indigestion. First Drs appointment I've ever had when I've been told to make sure I've got running/walking shoes with me as I'll likely be put on a treadmill... Does that count as a workout? 

I had to do this a few years back, when I was getting chest pains from panic attacks at work.  They ran me through all the tests, ECG and stress test on the treadmill, all of which I passed with flying colors. The Cardiologist basically asked me why I was there.  I'm hoping for the same for you - let us know how it goes!  I'm with Riles - I'll run through just about anything (including a stress fracture) but I won't mess with heart stuff.  Good luck!

2019-03-19 10:49 PM

User image

Originally posted by riles32807  John, we should put our heads together on races. Other than the Cocoa Beach tri, & trying and Oly in Sept/Oct, I need to nail down my season too. I wouldn't mind doing a couple 5k or 10ks. You MIGHT be able to talk me into a 1/2 marathon for like Oct/Nov. I'll PM you my email address.

Sounds great!  Wouldn't mind doing a Gran Fondo type bike event as well.

So it looks like I might need a 10 miler or HM between now and October 9th for corral placement for the 2020 Dopey Challenge.  Haven't signed up for the Dopey yet but I want to, will just depend on family agreement.  Oct 9th is the deadline for posting a time for corral assignment.  Haven't had too much luck so far in finding an actual (non beach, non trail, actual USAT certified) 10 miler or HM in FL before Oct 9th....  So if you see anything let me know!

If I'm understanding it correctly, your choices in FL are pretty limited.

http://www.usatf.org/calendars/searchResults.asp?eventType=R&startDate=&endDate=&state=FL&show=25&page=1

Lake Mineola Half, Born to be a Unicorn, or Lets Flamingle. Theres 3 more in May, if you don't mind a road trip to North Georgia.

http://www.usatf.org/calendars/searchResults.asp?eventType=R&startDate=&endDate=&state=GA
2019-03-20 7:29 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Thanks everyone for the well wishes re: surgery tomorrow!! It is really interesting that since I scheduled the surgery, I haven't had any issues with my sinuses, but yesterday and so far today, they are being a real bear. It is almost like they know what is coming for them tomorrow!!

Last night I ended up getting in an unintended workout. I got called out to a scene where remains were found by a hiker...a hiker at the bottom of a box canyon known as "Little Grand Canyon". The cops told us it was about 15' hike to the site...50' of downhill walking/climbing over every fallen tree since 1960, we made it to the site. Hiking axiom: what goes down, must come up!! For some reason it took less time to climb uphill than down, but I'm positive my HR didn't stay in Z2! What do you think? Will my coach let me swap a 1:30 Z8 hike for my 45' Z1 run scheduled today? :P
2019-03-20 8:25 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
John, thanks for sharing the shoelace thing! I never thought about how tying them different could help different issues.

Gretchen, that is sad about the hiker. Good luck convincing your coach today! haha although knowing you and considering you have surgery tomorrow, I have a feeling you are just going to do it (and likely crush it!).

Made it to boot camp this morning. It was actually a body attack/boot camp mashup, so got in some cardio and strength. I didn't love the body attack portion but it was nice to change it up.

2019-03-20 12:52 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Good luck with the surgery!

2019-03-21 8:46 AM

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Here's hoping everyone comes out of their appointments with flying colors! We're hoping for the best news possible.

Good mid-week workouts so far:
Tuesday
-Dreadmill run, 5x1000m intervals at 8.9mph / 1.0 incline and 400m recovery between, 7.56 miles total
Wednesday
-Swim 2000m in 49:05, 1x500m (1:56 pace), 30s rest, 1x200m (1:54 pace), 60s rest, 8x50m (1:40 avg. pace) 15sec rest between
-Dreadmill run, long run pace, 7.43 miles at 7.1mph / 1.0 incline
Thursday
-Strength Training, full body, 56 minutes

And the weekend plan:
Friday - Treadmill run, tempo repeats 3x2mi at 8.1mph
Saturday - Outside run, long run pace of 8:15-8:25, 10-12 miles
Sunday - Swim 6x200m pull drill, Exercise bike 60min with hard/easy intervals

Beer of the week: There isn't one so far. I volunteered at our Lions Club meat raffle last night, and the rep for Blue Moon was there giving out free beers. So, free beer being one of my favorite beers, I had a few of those. But that doesn't qualify for BOTW. This Saturday night heading to Excelsior Brewing in Excelsior, MN and hoping to find the winner there.

Question on cycling shoes. I need to get a pair of clip-ins. I need a normal width shoe, but with a wider toe box which I prefer due to a neuroma. I read about Bont Riot TR+ and Lake shoes having a wider toe box. Anyone have experience with either of these? Thank you!
2019-03-21 10:46 AM
in reply to: rpaulson7

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Tried to swim with swim squad this morning, but the lifeguard didn't show/wasn't told they had a shift? Was kind of annoyed, although I got to do a bit more work at home. I get productive at really weird times, so last night around 9pm I thought it would be a good time to clean out my closet and dresser. Continued that work this morning with another closet, and 3 giant trash bags later, everything looks pretty wonderfully organized.
I still have one closet in the basement to tackle, but that can wait until this weekend I think.

Might go to swim practice tomorrow since I didn't get to swim today. Need to get 1-2 runs in as well. Thinking I will run after work tomorrow, and again either Saturday or Sunday. Also trying to get a swim in one of those days, and probably need some yoga in my life.

Thoughts are with Gretchen today for her surgery!
2019-03-21 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Tried to swim with swim squad this morning, but the lifeguard didn't show/wasn't told they had a shift? Was kind of annoyed, although I got to do a bit more work at home. I get productive at really weird times, so last night around 9pm I thought it would be a good time to clean out my closet and dresser. Continued that work this morning with another closet, and 3 giant trash bags later, everything looks pretty wonderfully organized. I still have one closet in the basement to tackle, but that can wait until this weekend I think. Might go to swim practice tomorrow since I didn't get to swim today. Need to get 1-2 runs in as well. Thinking I will run after work tomorrow, and again either Saturday or Sunday. Also trying to get a swim in one of those days, and probably need some yoga in my life. Thoughts are with Gretchen today for her surgery!

I almost went early this morning - glad I didn't.  Wound up going around 8 AM and got a quick swim in and some strength work after a good hour on the trainer yesterday. 

Feels good to get back into it after losing all of January to being sick and a lot of February dealing with life's speed bumps.

2019-03-21 11:43 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by rpaulson7 Question on cycling shoes. I need to get a pair of clip-ins. I need a normal width shoe, but with a wider toe box which I prefer due to a neuroma. I read about Bont Riot TR+ and Lake shoes having a wider toe box. Anyone have experience with either of these? Thank you!

Unfortunately I'm an expert on this (the need to have a wide toe box, not the neuroma part at least!).  My crazy foot shape puts me in the same category as my running shoes though, need a wide toebox but going wide on the shoes causes heel slippage.  I haven't tried Lakes, but have read the same as you have (also Northwave supposedly).  I don't have dealers for either anywhere near me.  Same for Bont, and Sidi (the Mega or wide size was recommended to me as well).  Everything for me is a matter of ordering online and hoping for the best.  Every local dealer seems to have Shimano, Bontrager, maybe Specialized.  Shimanos and Bontragers were too narrow for me and sizing appropriate for the forefoot causes the dreaded heel slippage.

Bonts - I used their online fit calculator and did all the measuring on my feet as instructed, and ordered the Blitz.  They recommended a size 1-1.5 sizes smaller than I normally go with, and I followed the advice.  Everything I read was that you could overcome some of this because of the awesome custom-heat molding process for the tubs - they really are tubs and not soles, the carbon comes up along side your foot instead of being just underfoot.  Unfortunately for me the sizing was too small and after 10 miles or so the shoes became agonizing.  Had to sell them.  So my recommendation for Bonts is to size normally, or at least a half size or size up from what they recommend.  

I ended up with Sidi Ergos in the Mega fit, in my normal size.  The Ergos have a heel cup adjustment to tighten up around the achilles, which in theory was going to solve my problem (it helps, but doesn't solve it).  I've added Superfeet insoles to take up some of the heel volume, and I ride barefoot because socks slip way too easily.  Even still the shoes still slip when I walk.  Supposedly this means they would also slip during very hard efforts, but I guess I'm not enough of a 'hard effort' guy because I haven't noted much/any slippage while riding.  Just while walking, it feels like I'm wearing flip flops almost!  

Incidentally my Tri bike shoes are also Sidis, the older T2, same sizing as my Ergos.  Those were well used by someone else before I bought them and so the upper was plenty broken in, they fit with Superfeet and no socks.  They're just not terribly comfortable over long distances.  

I guess the deal with Sidi is that the regular width is really narrow, and often people go with the Mega width because they're like a slightly wide version of regular shoes as opposed to comparing a typical D width shoe vs. E wide width.

2019-03-21 12:19 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by rpaulson7  Beer of the week: There isn't one so far. I volunteered at our Lions Club meat raffle last night, and the rep for Blue Moon was there giving out free beers. So, free beer being one of my favorite beers, I had a few of those. But that doesn't qualify for BOTW. !

A beer with a song named after it should qualify! lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBaM8hSvLFE

2019-03-21 5:46 PM
in reply to: #5256824

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi all! Surgery went well and I'm back home now. I've had a nap and a snack and thinking about some real food—first since 9 last night. Blinding headache and some drainage (sorry, tmi?), but i can alreadyfeel the difference in how much air moves whenI breathe through my nose. It islike the difference between a garden hose and a fire hose!!
2019-03-22 9:54 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hi all! Surgery went well and I'm back home now. I've had a nap and a snack and thinking about some real food—first since 9 last night. Blinding headache and some drainage (sorry, tmi?), but i can alreadyfeel the difference in how much air moves whenI breathe through my nose. It islike the difference between a garden hose and a fire hose!!

Yayyy! Glad you are home and healing! How long did they say the recovery should take?
2019-03-22 12:56 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hi all! Surgery went well and I'm back home now. I've had a nap and a snack and thinking about some real food—first since 9 last night. Blinding headache and some drainage (sorry, tmi?), but i can alreadyfeel the difference in how much air moves whenI breathe through my nose. It islike the difference between a garden hose and a fire hose!!

Yay for successful surgery!  Glad it went well!

2019-03-22 12:58 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Anyone wear Headsweats hats for running?  I sweat like crazy when working out and so running hats are a necessity for me...  Anyway they're doing a spring clearance, lots of stuff in there at like $11 (instead of $20 regular price) and there's a code SPRING40 that takes another 40% off.  I just got two running hats and a tech/trucker hat  for $24 with shipping and tax.

2019-03-22 4:50 PM
in reply to: #5256945

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Recovery is supposed to be 1-2 weeks, but I can do easy workouts as long as I feel up to it and stop if I start bleeding. Already went on a slow walk with my wife this afternoon. It is finally really nice outside.
2019-03-22 6:50 PM

User image

Good to hear Gretchen!

This week's been ok training wise, didn't crush it, but stayed fairly consistent.

I've seen references to the BerryP method of run training here at BT & at Slowtwitch, I finally started reading through his stuff and am a little more than half way through. It's not life altering, but it is. It's like I've had the parts & tools in my hands for years and just now found the instruction book.

Now if I can find similar resources for bike & swim. =)
2019-03-23 2:02 PM
in reply to: #5256974

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
A very slow, but steady 30’ walk with my wife and dog. Nose feeling pretty good, but I’m still being exceptionally cautious.
2019-03-24 10:51 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in 2400 yds before my swim lessons today. Need to study the rest of the day, even though it's beautiful outside. Gonna try to rush through it so I can maybe get a run in later.

Also, saw Captain Marvel yesterday. SO GOOD. And had a Rusty Rail Snow Flyer (Porter) after.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7954 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 957 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa