BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-12-11 8:28 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open

Way to get back at it Nicole!  BTW the dizziness at boot camp I was never able to get over.  In shape, out of shape, didn't matter.  Maybe its just me...

Still off my ankle - I caused some kind of injury while dragging my corpse through my 23 mile run a couple weekends back, took a few days off, then ran 5 and it hurt again.  I've now been off almost a week (except speed walking a few miles at Riles' race) and its almost better.  I just want to get back to running, less than a month until the Dopey Challenge.  This weekend is speed work but then the following weekend is the killer - 5, 6, 12, 26 over 4 days.  I need a good ankle for all that business!!

2019-12-14 5:43 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Master
brummie land

Hey all, after a turbulent few days (not loving that election result!) i am back with beer! Enjoyed this one last night from a local brewery:

From sunrise to sunset our busy farm-based brewery never rests in producing the perfect pint! Pure Gold was the first beer to flow through our brewhouse and quickly became a local favourite, meaning that our head brewer Flo was mashing in before the farmyard cockerel had a chance to crow. To keep itself useful the cockerel decided to announce when it was time for a beer at the end of the day instead. His clear call can be heard around the beautiful rolling acres of the farm as the last brew is finished. From sunrise to sunset, from the first pour to the last drop, a pint of Pure Gold makes all our efforts worthwhile and if we ever forget what it’s all for, or when it’s just time for a beer we have Sol the cockerel there to remind us.

Hope all of you still exercising are doing ok? @firebert sort that ankle out soon, the pats need a new running back or ten or a wr, or te....anything!!!!!

2019-12-14 10:07 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by sappho96

Hope all of you still exercising are doing ok? @firebert sort that ankle out soon, the pats need a new running back or ten or a wr, or te....anything!!!!!

Ugh....we need a lot of things on offense!  I hate to say it, mostly because their fans HATE us so much, but it looks like Baltimore's year.  Jackson is unstoppable and the D is (as always) top shelf.

Ankle - ran 4 miles yesterday, with extra walking to ease the ankle back in.  It twinged a few times but didn't seem bad, but then last night and now today it's miserable.  I'm going to switch to cycling to keep off of it, and I'm going to tape it up.  And do loads of PT exercises and stretches.  Typical tendon healing timeframe is at least as long as I have from now until the Dopey so we're going to have to hope for great things from the above....

Its weird it feels like a sprain, but I never had that ankle roll/'oh ' moment.  Then again it's medial (inside of the ankle) which it seems is more common as an overuse injury than an actual sprain....

2019-12-15 2:49 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

Another week down, 12 more till Ironman, and 1 more week of work left for the year. Counting down the hours, bring on the beach!

I'm really happy with my training this week. I got all my workouts in, and the busted foot still feels ok (not 100%, but good enough)

M: 55 min easy run
T: 1000m laps
W: 45 min easy run
T: 65 min interval bike
F: 1000m laps, 2hr30 bike
S: 60 min recovery bike
S: 1hr40 run

Ideally I would have had a 3rd swim, but I'm still very pleased with what I got done, although I was starting to get very tired by the end of the week. Looking forward to a couple of easy days to start this week.

John Sorry to hear that the ankle is not coming right for you. Im the same in that exercising it's ok, it's after that I know it's not 100%. For what it's worth, compression bandages on the foot/ankle have helped me a lot. I can definitely notice the difference when I don't use it. Hopefully yours comes right after a little rest.

Nicole Nice swim. But be careful with the dizziness... I'm not a dr by any means, but bootcamp after blood donation sounds suspicious to me.

saph Interesting election for you guys. We do quite a bit of business with UK plants, and from what we have been hearing its the brexit indecision which has been worst. So whether or not you want to leave or remain a big decisive victory for either party was what you needed so the country can move forwards.

DQ Where you at man? hope all is well

Have a good week everyone

2019-12-16 6:39 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by firebert

Originally posted by sappho96

Ugh....we need a lot of things on offense!  I hate to say it, mostly because their fans HATE us so much, but it looks like Baltimore's year.  Jackson is unstoppable and the D is (as always) top shelf.

It's not just us.  We were away in DC over the weekend and talking with a couple who were Steelers fans and we were laughing about how our hated rivalry has taken a backseat to our loathing of all things Patriots - we even cheer on PIT/BAL when they're playing NE.  LOL

2019-12-16 6:47 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Another good week for me: 

2 swims:  45 min, 1750 yards, TSS  = 42
5 cycling:  4 hours, 64 miles, TSS = 230
2 treadmill:  0.75 hours, 3.2 miles, TSS = 32
4 ST/yoga:  ~1.5 hours

Total Time:  7.5 hours
Total SBR TSS:  304/295/300

The weekend was kind of a wash...Friday I was exhausted from training and the late Thursday night game plus we traveled to DC for the weekend.  I had planned Sat/Sun to be off days but the hotel gym was really good (even had a Peloton bike, which my wife and daughter loved so now I'm looking at buying an exercise bike that costs more than my first two cars put together LOL).  I did a test ride on the bike plus some treadmill and core work and then we walked about 10-12 miles over two days so my shins hurt.  I'm normally in pretty good walking shape during the summer but haven't hit the pavement in a while so OUCH!

Big training week scheduled with a decent jump in TSS, then two recovery/test weeks over the holidays, including another @#$@#$!!! FTP test on the bike and a 500 yard TT on the swim.

2019-12-16 6:59 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@John:  are you doing anything to rehab the ankle?  My ankles are a disaster from volleyball/basketball so I've been through about a dozen rehabs over the years.  The interior/medial ones are tough.  Rather than taping, you might want to get a good, lace-up brace.  Unless you really know what you're doing (I didn't) taping was a waste of time and tape.

How I rehabbed was brace, warm-up, rehab, play, ice/elevate, Advil.  Repeat.  Take the NSAIDs after, not before.  Some rehab exercises are standing toe raises (either flat or on a step for more ROM), toe circles both directions (imaging you're drawing with a pen in your toes), anything balancing on a Bosu platform if you can find one.  Another thing you could give a go is just walking on the TM at heavy incline like 8-12%.  You'll get your HR up without the pounding plus that incline increases your ankle ROM through the stride a little.

Hope it heals up fast - slogging through a marathon with an unstable ankle sounds awful.

2019-12-16 7:51 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Mike - thank you!!  The tape is helping some, but only after watching the KT how-to videos, AND I've been resting it all weekend.  Going to keep off it for a while while doing exercises.  The toe raises I've been doing.  And plenty of icing and elevating.  It's not swollen, at least not outwardly.  Just tender, but if I run on it, then it hurts like a beast for a couple days.  All the more reason for me to start that Y membership I've been putting off.

Any links or pics you can share of the right brace?  The ones I saw at Walgreens are all velcro straps ranging from $15-50.  Honestly the $50 one didn't look any better than the $15 one....

(BTW the Steelers hate us because we tied their number of Super Bowl wins hahahaha.  I never understood that one though, we never had a rivalry per se.  Hell, we were rooting for the Steelers against the Pack in 2010 was it?  I think we were still sore from losing to Brett Farve in SB 31.)

2019-12-16 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Any links or pics you can share of the right brace?  The ones I saw at Walgreens are all velcro straps ranging from $15-50.  Honestly the $50 one didn't look any better than the $15 one...

Something like this maybe?

https://www.mcdavidusa.com/products/ankle-brace-lace-up-w-stays?variant=19352860491872

I think the velcro ones would do the same thing - I don't the velcro tech was that good 25-30 years ago when I was limping around so lace-ups were the thing.

That's interesting you don't get any swelling - mine would swell then get all black and blue.

2019-12-16 3:48 PM

User image

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Any links or pics you can share of the right brace?  The ones I saw at Walgreens are all velcro straps ranging from $15-50.  Honestly the $50 one didn't look any better than the $15 one...

Something like this maybe?

https://www.mcdavidusa.com/products/ankle-brace-lace-up-w-stays?variant=19352860491872

I think the velcro ones would do the same thing - I don't the velcro tech was that good 25-30 years ago when I was limping around so lace-ups were the thing.

That's interesting you don't get any swelling - mine would swell then get all black and blue.

I bought a cheap velcro ankle brace from Walgreens thinking I could replace the ace bandages I had been using. (a spandex sleeve with a sewn on elastic bandage with velcro at the ends) It had no instructions on how to wrap it, the only way I could get it to work left an odd extra velcro piece in an uncomfortable spot, so I cut it off. It still didn't work as well as the ace bandages had. If you cant find one as sturdy as Mike's, don't bother with a cheap one, an ace bandage is about 10x more useful.

So I've been utterly lazy since my HM. I think I need to plan out my weeks. I've been waking up early, rolling over, debating what workout I want to do that morning, and falling back asleep. Maybe I should try to swim tomorrow, I haven't swam in like 3 months.
2019-12-18 10:12 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by bulfrog

Nicole Nice swim. But be careful with the dizziness... I'm not a dr by any means, but bootcamp after blood donation sounds suspicious to me.

Thanks! I took the day after my donation off. Didn't go back to boot camp until a week after. With proper nutrition I think I would've felt okay, but with traveling and a wedding, I think my body was probably still trying to catch up

2019-12-18 10:16 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone! I have been down and out since Saturday. This has not been my month!

I had a 5 mile race Saturday morning. Ran with a friend so wasn't intending on running very fast. I woke up feeling hungover even though I didn't drink the night before and partway through the run I was STRUGGLING. Couldn't enjoy the delicious soup, cookies or Wassein (mulled wine) at the end Had fever and chills all weekend. Basically the flu but without the sore throat and stuff nose.

I'm better now, but I barely ate for 3 days and still don't have much of an appetite. Trying to get my strength back before getting back into the workout routine. Don't want to overdo it. Hoping to be able to do some easy stuff by this weekend.

Hope everyone is well and avoiding these bugs going around!
2019-12-19 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  Pushing through a big week, over five hours on the bike plus a couple of Bikram and strength sessions.  Had a great 530 AM swim today - best I've felt in the pool since the summer probably.  1:15 on the bike later, easy though.

@John  - are you still using the NBC Cycling Pass?  The idiots deleted all of the 2019 content when they "upgraded" their app last week.  So I've been re-watching the third Star Wars trilogy before going to see Episode IX tomorrow. 

2019-12-19 11:56 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

@John  - are you still using the NBC Cycling Pass?  The idiots deleted all of the 2019 content when they "upgraded" their app last week.  So I've been re-watching the third Star Wars trilogy before going to see Episode IX tomorrow. 

Yes, I am, and......

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  I haven't watched the Vuelta yet.  That was my winter doldrums trainer fodder.  WTF am I going to do now.......

BTW great work on the big workout week!  And, I bought the lace up brace you linked last night, they carry it at Academy.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Right now the pain mas moved from my ankle up to my achilles area...  I don't get it, but it still looks like an overuse injury aggravated by diving in to a 10mi/23mi back to back weekend I wasn't ready for.

2019-12-19 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Yes, I am, and......

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  I haven't watched the Vuelta yet.  That was my winter doldrums trainer fodder.  WTF am I going to do now.......

BTW great work on the big workout week!  And, I bought the lace up brace you linked last night, they carry it at Academy.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Right now the pain mas moved from my ankle up to my achilles area...  I don't get it, but it still looks like an overuse injury aggravated by diving in to a 10mi/23mi back to back weekend I wasn't ready for.

Don't worry, John.  I gave the poor bot responding to the chat support window hell for us.   

Supposedly their support team is working on it.  I responded with "how are you still selling access to cycling events that you don't have access to?"  SMH

2019-12-19 2:52 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Thanks Mike for fighting the fight on that one.

That app is terrible - constantly randomly going back to the beginning while watching the middle of the race, not remembering where you left off - which is a challenge in the middle of a 7 hour race to remember where you left off the next day...but its all I have. The only other alternative is some eurpoean based subscription that has a ton more coverage but is like $30 a month, when this one is $50 a year.

2019-12-20 9:36 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  I haven't watched the Vuelta yet.   

Not just me! Phew! I am currently watching the Tour of Hungary highlights which i recorded in June...lol!

2019-12-20 1:21 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

DeLand, Florida

Mike I think whatever you said to them worked.  Not only do I have everything available, I now have the Criterium du Dauphine which I was in the middle of watching when they switched to this year's pass at the TdF time and got rid of the access to everything prior to it.

2019-12-21 2:40 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Happy Carol Day everybody! Well mainly drfoodlove as unsure if anybody else will get the reference! (https://dorothysurrenders.blogspot.com/2017/12/carol-day-2017.html)

To celebrate that and winter solstice and a Saturday i am supping on:

SESSION IPA

ABOUT THIS BEER

A moreish, gluten-free session IPA, infused with real grapefruit peel and brimming with tropical fruit notes and hop aromas. We’re proud of this great tasting session IPA, but we can’t take any credit for the great looking design. Working in partnership with students of the Birmingham School of Art, this can has been designed by two talented final year students, Zunaira Muzaffar and Beth Nicol. Winners of the Purity Seasonal Beer Design Award 2018.

TASTING NOTES

Brewed with Maris Otter, Vienna and Golden Naked Oats, generously hopped with Simcoe, Eureka and Mosaic hops.

FOOD PAIRING

Fully loaded vegan nachos or a gluten free pizza

AND:

FANTASMA

GLUTEN FREE IPA

6.5%

A dank and juicy IPA using Golden Promise, wheat and Cara Munich malts in the mash for a sweetly smooth body. For the hops we judiciously bittered with Magnum in the kettle followed by Citra T90 in both the whirlpool and in dry-hopping. The aroma/flavour is fruit-filled, dank and resinous, with plenty of tropical mango giving a moreish drinkability. Fermented with our house American ale yeast (WLP001) for a refreshingly clean finish, this IPA is also our first gluten-free beer using Brewers Clarex®.

This beer is vegan (keg & can only).

Spec sheet

ABV:
6.5%
GRAVITY:
COLOUR:
Golden, Straw
MALTS:
Cara Munich, Golden Promise, Wheat
HOPS:
Citra T90, Magnum
YEAST:
WLP001

2019-12-23 9:11 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
This is our annual public service announcement! :-)

Your mentor thread will be moved the Archive at the end of the month.

Mentors are invited to start a new thread for 2020 in the Staging Area. Thank you! Happy Holidays from BT!
2019-12-25 6:17 AM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by alicefoeller This is our annual public service announcement! :-) Your mentor thread will be moved the Archive at the end of the month. Mentors are invited to start a new thread for 2020 in the Staging Area. Thank you! Happy Holidays from BT!

Uh oh, the 2019 witching hour is upon us.  Our new forum is currently in the staging area here:

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=556078&posts=1&page=1#M5264507

I already posted my bio out there.  Just keep an eye on both as we move through the transition into the new decade!! 

Oh, and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah, and a belated Happy Solstice Day to everyone!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7596 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 924 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa