Sandy Hook, New Jersey
United States
Danskin
Total Time = 1h 36m 33s
Overall Rank = 811/1280
Age Group = mixed
Age Group Rank = 132/294
Pre-race routine:

Was up at 4:15, put on my trisuit and ate granola and a banana while hubby showered. Checked out of the hotel while he helped other hubby load truck. Got the boys up and dressed and we were off by 4:45. Got to Sandy Hook with no problem but became a substantial breakfast to the Texas sized mosquitoes while we unloaded the bikes. Got checked in and set up transition area and went in search of Brenda but she wasn't there yet.
Event warmup:

Warming up consisted of trying to find Gia, trying to find family, checking back to see if Brenda had a arrived, going potty, and then....my dad showed up...from New Mexico. To those of you who saw the girl in the wet suit screaming and crying, that's why, I couldn't believe he was there!
Swim
  • 16m 48s
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

wow was the water cold... I went in feeling confident, but couldn't get in a rhythm without getting kicked, started getting a little panicky, my wetsuit felt too tight couldn't get anywhere, saw a swim angel looking a little concerned about me, so defiance kicked in, and I flipped over and swam on my back the whole darn way!!!
What would you do differently?:

hold back even more and give some distance between me and the ohters at the back. I also would do more open water practice
Transition 1
  • 04m 29s
Comments:

cmae out of the water a little week, but once I was out of the sand I started running, feeling confident again, I'd made it out of the water! My area was well set up, I had everything where I needed it and my wet suit 1/2 off before entering trans area, everthing went really well.

nothing, I'm pleased with how this went
Bike
  • 39m 10s
  • 11 miles
  • 16.85 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike portion was alot of fun. Lots of cheering each other on and sooomany smiles! I was passed by 3 people and got to say "on your left" lots, that was fun. Saw Susan when she was coming back. Kept a steady pace of 18 or 19 going out but more like 14 coming back with the wind. I was having so much fun though that I didin't care.

Have a cool fast red road bike!
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Was very pleased with this time, what was cool was that Susan was already there and getting ready to run, but she waited so we could finish together, WOW!

nothing, well maybe take off bike gloves:)
Run
  • 34m 17s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

S and I headed out, I wasn't focusing on speed at all, just a good rythm and steady breathing. I got in a groove pretty quickly and just went for it. I felt slow but strong, figured I was doing a 12 or 13 minute mile. I never felt like I needed to walk and was so impressed with Susan who was about 10 yards ahead of me for a good portion, she had a good pace and was relaxed which was so impressive, hope I looked that way.

So the two of us in our crazy pink outfits, sprinted to the finish, strong happy and holding hands as we crossed. I was the greatest way to do my first tri.

Can't wait for the next one!

nothing
Post race

Last updated: 2006-09-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:48 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/294
Overall: 0/1280
Performance:
Suit: wet-suit, sleeveless
Course: the course was shortened to about 1/3 mile
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:10 | 11 miles | 16.85 mile/hr
Overall: 665/1280
Wind: Some
Course: out and back
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:17 | 03.1 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 879/1280
Course: flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %5 lbs
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-18 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Danskin Women's Triathlon

2006-09-18 3:58 PM
in reply to: #544869

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon
Woohoo, you go girl - you make it sound like a stroll through the park. So, glad your Dad came to see you - that must have been the icing on the cake for you!!. It was great to get to meet you - I have promised myself that I'm never again riding to a race with someone else. So next time we will have some more time to chat.

On the plus side of being so late - I didn't see a mosquito until the long haul back to the car after the race. Everyone else was breakfast - I guess we got to be lunch:-)
2006-09-18 5:04 PM

User image

Master
CT
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon
Awesome race! Congrats!
2006-09-18 8:29 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA