General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre and post workout nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-02-06 10:00 AM

Subject: Pre and post workout nutrition
I know this is probably opening a pandora's box. A little history, I've done some sprints, I have 3 more and and OLY and finally a HIM in October of this year.

I'm on the 80/20 HIM training plan. I eat well I think however I feel like I'm plateauing. I am not taking pre or post recovery protein or anything like that. I think I'm missing these options. So the question is:

Opinions for pre-post workout powders? BCAA's? And brands (all opinion I know)

Thank you all in advance.

2019-02-06 4:12 PM
in reply to: Onlyhisway

Subject: RE: Pre and post workout nutrition
Before a race and before some key workouts I typically use some sort of caffeinated sports drink. Post race, I try to get a protein shake in as soon as possible.

I've been worried about the ridiculous amount of sugar in these drinks so I'm trying to minimize my uses of these drinks.
2019-02-06 8:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Pre-workout I am not sure why you would need a protein supplement. The general advice is not to go into a workout hungry; maybe take in some easily digestible carbs an hour or two before so you are not "running on empty". (I know--there is a debate about "fasted training" but not getting into it here since your question was about what to eat vs. whether to eat!) Caffeine in modest amounts--sure. I think there is a lot of research out there to say it improves endurance and lowers perceived effort. As long as you are not drinking so much to cause GI issues, or adding a lot of unneeded fats and sugars, it can be good. No need for special products--ordinary coffee works well! Sometimes for long workouts (and always for races) I use a sugar-free caffeinated sports drink during the workout/race (alternating with an uncaffeinated one or plain water).

Post-workout, it does not have to be a protein drink or other special product marketed to athletes. A snack or drink with a good mix of protein and carbs within 30-60 minutes will help start the recovery process. Some people swear by chocolate milk; I usually go for real food like toast with peanut butter and bananas, or a bowl of cereal with fruit, nuts, and yogurt, etc. When I lived in Asia, once of my favorites was a local snack mix we called "crunchy" (toasted brown rice, roasted soybeans, and seaweed with a soy flavor) mixed with peanuts, and a big glass of orange juice. I mainly use protein powders (in a smoothie that has other protein like yogurt or nut butter) when I don't have time to make/eat a snack or meal within that 30-60 minute window, or sometimes after a very hot workout when I just don't feel like eating right away.

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-02-06 8:59 PM
2019-02-07 3:58 PM
in reply to: Onlyhisway

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
I do real food personally. The only add is protein powder.

Most AM workouts are fasted.

I then eat overnight oats immediately after. Head to work. Snack around 9:30am of nuts and yogurt.

Lunch workout. Eat lunch immediately after getting to my desk.

I try and time meals and workouts so I'm not having to worry about pre and post workout nutrition.
2019-02-08 10:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Onlyhisway I know this is probably opening a pandora's box. A little history, I've done some sprints, I have 3 more and and OLY and finally a HIM in October of this year. I'm on the 80/20 HIM training plan. I eat well I think however I feel like I'm plateauing. I am not taking pre or post recovery protein or anything like that. I think I'm missing these options. So the question is: Opinions for pre-post workout powders? BCAA's? And brands (all opinion I know) Thank you all in advance.

My diet is simple.  My goal is 70% carbs, 15% protein, 15% fat.  I consume 3500-4000 calories a day. 

I try to get close to 1000 calories at breakfast which is typically 25-45 minutes after my intense morning work out.  So I get my main refueling as part of a normal meal.    I also try to get 1000 Calories at lunch and 1000 calories at dinner. I typical have snacks at 10AM (two hours before my PM work out).  I do lunch 15-30 minutes after my PM work out (again I am refueling with my normal meals).

So I am getting even calories at meals for an even energy through out the day (as opposed to 500 calories at breakfast, 500 calories at lunch, and 2000 calories at dinner that would create swings in the energy). 

If I am not getting enough calories at meals I will get hungry again at 3-4 PM and 8-9 PM and want more snacks.  If I am getting enough calories at meals then I don't get hungry at 3PM & 8PM.  If I crave sugary treats at night I know I am not getting enough calories. 

So...I eat at meal times and if I am doing things right that is all I need.  I don't take anything before morning work outs.  I don't take anything during run work outs that are less than 90 min long or bike rides that are less than 2hrs long.  Yes...get your recovery food within 30 minutes of a hard work out if you can.  The body is most efficient at refueling with in 30 minutes of intense exercise.  Yes, your recovery food should consist of carbs, protein, and liquids.  

The high carb diet works for me.  Doing morning workouts fasting works for me.  Not taking anything during short workouts (i.e. under 90min/2hrs) works for me.  Others do High Fat Low Carb (HCLF) diets (some say they are doing a HCLF diet but don't follow it correctly and end up with a High Protein Low Carb diet or a High Fat Medium Carb Diet).  Other have to hit carbs in the morning and every 20 minutes to get through a one hour workout. 

You don't have to go crazy on the diet to train for an OLY or 70.3 race.  Getting off the junk food and on a diets that focuses on whole foods is all that most people require.

As far as options for post workouts, my vote is to eat real foods (dairy, eggs, fruits, whole grains) and not a powder.  Focusing on whole foods and getting away from processed foods (i.e. powers) is going to do more to improve the nutrition than any branded product will. So...  a green smooth, Bulgarian yogurt with fruit/berries, over night oat meal, cracked wheat, hard boiled eggs, etc are the type of things I would consider, but to each their own.  Some people love their powers and swear by them.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2019-02-08 11:00 AM
2019-02-08 11:09 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Thank you all for the responses!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre and post workout nutrition Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How To Train Yourself To Stop Pre-Competition Nerves - Reposted from Articles

Started by k9car363
Views: 510 Posts: 1

2018-12-30 6:29 AM k9car363