United States
Atlanta Track Club
40F / 4C
Total Time = 2h 55m 33s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a good training block leading up to this race. All of my long runs felt good, no injuries except a cranky left IT Band every now and then. Felt good and excited to do this course for the first time (I did the full marathon last year).

Got to meet up with Jen (JenStewey) Saturday for lunch before I did packet pick-up. We had lunch with two of her friends which was fun! I was in bed by 9:30 p.m. with an alarm set for 4:15 a.m.

I was out the door at 5 a.m. on the dot so I could make the 5:20 train to get to the Atlanta Tri Club photo at 6:15 - I had it all planned out perfectly. EXCEPT THE 5:20 TRAIN BROKE DOWN! Everyone got on the train. It lurched 4 times before the operator came on and said it was "out of service." 100s of runners off the train, while more came piling in for the 5:40 train. With no information we assumed they would send another train, and I'm not sure if they did, or if it was just the normal 5:40 train, but it was in service and running, albeit still a few minutes behind. So needless to say, I did not make the ATC photo.

I also left my coffee in the car at the train station, which irritated me to no end. Looking back, I had plenty of time with the delay to go back and get it, but at the time I didn't know when the next train was going to arrive so I just waited. Anyway. Mildly annoying start to the day.
Event warmup:

Found the ATC tent and was so happy to see my old training buddies from IMChatt - gals who were glad to see me and I felt so happy being with my old group that I haven't seen since last fall. I had to pee, but the port-a-potty line was unbelievably long, so I just decided to not. Got in the coral and texted Jen to see if we could find each other - and we did! We were in the last wave so it seemed like awhile before we got to the start line after the gun went off - looking at my Garmin it was 19 minutes. Here we go!
Run
  • 2h 55m 33s
  • 13.29 miles
  • 13m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Still dark when we crossed the starting line and did I mention it was COLD? Last year I wore a tank top at this race, and today I was in my warmest fleece lined leggings, a winter base long sleeved top under my ATC singlet and my winter gloves. I certainly learned my lesson at the Hot Chocolate race, LOL!

Starting off I felt OK. Not good or great, just OK. I enjoy the buzz and crowds in big races, so I soaked it in. After the first few miles, I noticed my left IT Band talking to me. It's happened on long training runs, but never became a thing. It was a thing today.

Most of the miles ticked off really slowly and really tediously. I just couldn't get in a groove or get to feeling "good" whatsoever. Both of my IT Bands were cranky, my right knee was hurting and my feet were very uncomfortable. And I had to pee like a racehorse. The first 3-4 port a potty opportunities had lines of 20+ people so I didn't want to wait. Finally around mile 7, I think, there were only 5-6 people in line so I stopped. That helped.

At mile 9, we went through beautiful Peidmont Park and I took my gloves off to take a photo on my phone. I put them in my pants to see if I could run without them but nope, hands were so cold still, so I put the gloves back on.

The last four miles are basically all uphill, so I ended up walking big chunks. I hate doing that, but between my cranky legs and feet and the elevation I just resigned to it. It was just hill after hill after hill after hill. Welcome to Atlanta.

Finally hit mile 12 and I pepped up a little. I saw my buddy Michele and caught up to her. She was walking and I was feeling better, so I just patted her back and told her she was doing great as I passed. I ran almost all of the last mile, and seeing a small group of tri club people cheering right before the finish chute made me tear up a little. They were so encouraging and they knew who I was, I heard them yell my name. Right then, I was just so glad to be a part of this tri club and have people out there cheering for me - even in a race that was not my best.

I actually started crying in the finish chute and my nose was dripping like crazy, so I'm sure my photos are lovely haha! Glad to stop running, but man that last mile might have been the one I felt the best in.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, not sure. I trained really well for this race and had great long runs. I probably need to start foam rolling more.
Post race
Warm down:

I bee-lined straight to the ATC tent where I'd left my gear check bag, and was happy to see Tisha there. We had leap frogged each other early in the race and looking back, I kind of wish I would have stuck with her. Sheryl and Michele came in right behind me and we all chatted for a bit before heading out.

I felt bad because Jen's friends had invited me to shower and hang out at their Midtown place after the race - and I really wanted to - but man I was cranky and feeling so beat up. So I texted Jen and apologized for bailing, knowing that I just needed to get home. Ended up riding MARTA with Sheryl all the way home and again, was thankful for the tri club and for good people to call my friends.

Got home, ate a little, took a hot bath then immediately slept for 3+ hours straight.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IT Band mostly.

Event comments:

A great Atlanta race, but certainly hilly. Weather can be cold or warm, depends on the year. Very organized and fun race atmosphere. 11K racers between the full, half and 5K.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2018-12-31 12:00 AM
Running
02:55:33 | 13.29 miles | 13m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2019-03-17 6:24 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Publix Atlanta Half Marathon

2019-03-18 2:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Publix Atlanta Half Marathon

I'm sorry you didn't have the race you were hoping for but it sounds like your friends and club and mini manatee meetup helped make the day better.  Rest up and get that IT band happy again.  Nice work in the hills!

Edited by melbo55 2019-03-18 2:07 PM
2019-03-18 2:13 PM
in reply to: #5256754

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
So sorry your IT band rained on your parade. So frustrating, especially when you felt so prepared. Way to dig deep and get it done!
2019-03-18 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

It's so frustrating to not have the race you trained for b/c of niggly injuries! Congratulations on sticking it out and getting it done! Yay to a little manatee meet up!

2019-03-19 6:43 AM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

I'm glad we were able to meet up in the morning!  Atlanta is definitely way more hillier than I predicted.  Glad you were able to get home after the race to take care of yourself

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Publix Atlanta Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Palmetto Bluff Half Marathon

Started by wsb5c
Views: 732 Posts: 1

2018-04-29 3:09 PM wsb5c

Spartan Half Marathon

Started by haight2
Views: 599 Posts: 1

2018-04-29 12:56 PM haight2