General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 05.17.2019 it's Freaking Friday Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-05-17 7:44 AM

User image

, Pennsylvania
Subject: 05.17.2019 it's Freaking Friday
Morning Folks,

7.5 mile run this morning, it was glorious. Lunch time swim, not sure I'll get the full volume done...Trying to train around work schedules and having to rely on others for transportation is tough.

Party On Garth,

Wayne

2019-05-17 8:34 AM
in reply to: PigeonTri

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: 05.17.2019 it's Freaking Friday

Yes...planning around work schedules takes creativity.  Relying on others for transportation brings in a whole new dynamic. 

My daughter is doing a community play and she has rehearsals Monday, Tuesday, Thursday from 6:00 - 8:30 PM for the next two months.  I was able to get in a swim after dropping her off last night before I had to pick her up.  It really isn't worth it to drive home and then come back out so either my wife or I stay in town on rehearsal nights.  Last night I did some 100m repeats at my planned sprint race pace with an extra 10 seconds recover time between repeats. 

.After I got home at 9:00 PM I start to pack for this weekend's race.  I had to repair my helmet that has the adjustment straps and most of the foam fall out.  I had to take off a lot of equipment on the bike that I won't be using for race day (i.e. water bottle holders, bento boxes, hand pumps, etc.), as well as pull out the racing wheels and pull off all the race decals from my race last Septemeber.  I laid out all my swim equipment, run equipment, bike equipment, etc.  This always takes forever because I have to mental imagine when every piece of equipment will be used and what order I will put it on or take it off in transition etc.  I like taking time to go through everything when I am packing but stayed up late last night (and still had more things to do this morning).   So...I took an extra hour of sleep this morning and skipped my 45-minute race prep bike ride this morning.  I might do some run stride this evening.  Something to flood the legs today would be good.  

2019-05-17 9:45 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Might be time to invest in a new helmet. I'm not sure if your race does safety checks on them but some do. More common at championship events and in some other countries (maybe required by their tri federations for liability reasons). I was caught by surprise at my last race in NZ when I was told the road helmet I'd brought, as I was riding a rental road bike, did not pass. Admittedly, it was old and well-loved, but a quality Giro model that had never been in a crash, with no cracks. Had to borrow Mom's new one! Helmet and bike turned out to be the least of my problems in that race, but that's another story.
2019-05-17 10:54 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Hot Runner Might be time to invest in a new helmet. I'm not sure if your race does safety checks on them but some do. More common at championship events and in some other countries (may be required by their tri federations for liability reasons). I was caught by surprise at my last race in NZ when I was told the road helmet I'd brought, as I was riding a rental road bike, did not pass. Admittedly, it was old and well-loved, but a quality Giro model that had never been in a crash, with no cracks. Had to borrow Mom's new one! Helmet and bike turned out to be the least of my problems in that race, but that's another story.

Yes, my LG is in the same category as your well loved Giro.  It has never been in a crash, no cracks, etc.  I don't think my helmet is any type of safety risk, but it probably would not impress any officials inspecting helmets.  All the foam is velcroed in and there is a material backing to the foam that fastens to the foam with an adhesive.  Our garage gets over 120 deg F in the summer and that adhesive failed. I guess I will have to keep my helmet in a climate controlled environment going forward.  I took some fabric glue and put the backing back on last night in it is holding just fine.  The adjustment strap looks like the plastic tab that attached to the styrofoam helmet was hot glued on.  I guess 120 deg. F was too hot for the hot glue too.  The glue I used to reattached it is way better than what the manufacturer used. If the manufacturer can meet the safety ratings (which multiple stickers inside the helmet indicated that it did) then you would think the repair work would pass with flying colors, but inspectors despise repair work and any type of modifications or adjustments.   

I have been watching for the S-Works McLaren to come down on its price or to find a good deal on a WingSpan (or a good deal on anything)  The LG is going to have to do the job for now though.  

2019-05-17 11:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Yes...planning around work schedules takes creativity.  Relying on others for transportation brings in a whole new dynamic. 

My daughter is doing a community play and she has rehearsals Monday, Tuesday, Thursday from 6:00 - 8:30 PM for the next two months.  I was able to get in a swim after dropping her off last night before I had to pick her up.  It really isn't worth it to drive home and then come back out so either my wife or I stay in town on rehearsal nights.  Last night I did some 100m repeats at my planned sprint race pace with an extra 10 seconds recover time between repeats. 

.After I got home at 9:00 PM I start to pack for this weekend's race.  I had to repair my helmet that has the adjustment straps and most of the foam fall out.  I had to take off a lot of equipment on the bike that I won't be using for race day (i.e. water bottle holders, bento boxes, hand pumps, etc.), as well as pull out the racing wheels and pull off all the race decals from my race last Septemeber.  I laid out all my swim equipment, run equipment, bike equipment, etc.  This always takes forever because I have to mental imagine when every piece of equipment will be used and what order I will put it on or take it off in transition etc.  I like taking time to go through everything when I am packing but stayed up late last night (and still had more things to do this morning).   So...I took an extra hour of sleep this morning and skipped my 45-minute race prep bike ride this morning.  I might do some run stride this evening.  Something to flood the legs today would be good.  

Good luck on your race!! Looking forward to reading your race report!!

Chris

Edited by TRIMAN413 2019-05-17 11:26 AM
2019-05-17 3:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The weather in Saigon was very rough on almost any equipment, including shoes, helmets, and even (although I probably only rode it outside 10 or 12 times a year there) my bike. Humidity and salt in the air (I lived along a tidal channel, and my SE Asia races were always oceanside) just make a mess of metal, plastic, and shoe materials.

All indoor workouts here today as weather was pretty miserable--cold rain and windy. 40 minute run on the indoor track at the gym (not thrill a minute, but way better than not running) and 1800 yard swim. I did the same sets and was 2 minutes faster than Wednesday, but no idea why! (Of course, I was swimming with fins and still about 10-12 seconds/100 slower than my uninjured "easy" pace, but whatever.)

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-05-17 3:29 PM

2019-05-17 3:35 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Hot Runner

The weather in Saigon was very rough on almost any equipment, including shoes, helmets, and even (although I probably only rode it outside 10 or 12 times a year there) my bike. Humidity and salt in the air (I lived along a tidal channel, and my SE Asia races were always oceanside) just make a mess of metal, plastic, and shoe materials.

All indoor workouts here today as weather was pretty miserable--cold rain and windy. 40 minute run on the indoor track at the gym (not thrill a minute, but way better than not running) and 1800 yard swim. I did the same sets and was 2 minutes faster than Wednesday, but no idea why! (Of course, I was swimming with fins and still about 10-12 seconds/100 slower than my uninjured "easy" pace, but whatever.)

Ahhh... you're swimming! I am so happy to hear that
2019-05-17 3:36 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
I did 1,800 swim today as well. The longest so far this season.
2019-05-17 6:49 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Well, "swimming" would be a better way to put it. I have been back in the pool for about five weeks. Still pretty slow and sometimes kind of uncomfortable, but the PT claims it's good for me so have kept at it. My stroke is not very balanced as I still don't have normal range of motion (maybe 60-70% of normal now?) or strength in the injured arm so until that improves I am using the fins and keeping workouts in the 30 minute range, just trying to slowly increase the proportion and length of freestyle. Right now it's just repeated sets of 50 dolphin kick/150 swim/50 dolphin kick/50 of something I invented called "polar bear paddle" or breaststroke.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 05.17.2019 it's Freaking Friday Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

05.06.2019 It's Monday

Started by PigeonTri
Views: 415 Posts: 8

2019-05-06 10:39 PM Hot Runner

Black Friday / Cyber Monday Thread

Started by liverusty
Views: 1594 Posts: 13

2018-11-25 10:27 AM jmhpsu93

Brief Planned Outage for Maintenance Friday 11p Eastern