General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying Shoes on Ebay Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-06-04 10:47 AM

User image

Subject: Buying Shoes on Ebay
Shoes are one of those things that make me cringe at the thought of buying used. That said, my daily trainers are worn out and I don't really have the money at the moment to buy new.

Looking at a handful of ads, it looks to me like tread wear is probably the best way to guesstimate how much life is left. Any other tips or experiences?

Thanks

2019-06-04 11:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Buying Shoes on Ebay

Originally posted by riles32807 Shoes are one of those things that make me cringe at the thought of buying used. That said, my daily trainers are worn out and I don't really have the money at the moment to buy new. Looking at a handful of ads, it looks to me like tread wear is probably the best way to guesstimate how much life is left. Any other tips or experiences? Thanks

Don't buy used shoes to run in.  If you are looking for something to walk around it that is fine, but not to run in. 

You don't want shoes that have been broken-in to the shape of someone else's feet or that have ware patterns from someone else running style/form.  

The cushioning in a running shoe breaks down by the time the shoe has 500 miles and the shoe needs to be rotated out after that.  It doesn't matter what the tread looks like or how clean they are.  Once they hit 500 miles they need to be retired from running or you will get swollen up/inflamed knees.  

Look at the clearance racks at the sporting good stores, discount stores,  shoe stores, etc. (I have found 70% off MSRP on top line shoes).

If you are buying off of ebay look for new shoes that have minor defects (i.e. ink stain, snag in the top covering of the shoe, missing box, etc.). Also, look for models of shoes that you have run in before so that you know how they fit.  It isn't worth risking a stress fracture or other shoe related problem.  

Don't buy used shoes.  You would be better off to get new shoes off a clearance rack.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2019-06-04 11:39 AM
2019-06-04 1:59 PM
in reply to: #5259528

User image

Shoes are one of the most counterfeited items for sale on eBay. There are too many sales on running shoes to risk buying something fake.

Used shoes are a gamble as well. You want the shoe to break in to the shape of your foot. Heavier runners will wear the foam out quicker than lighter runners.

Active Gearup is having an extra 20% off sale right now with some shoes already marked down to $50 or less.

As far as life of your shoe. Your legs will probably let you know when it’s time to retire a pair. Your legs may start feeling beat up after easy runs.

2019-06-04 4:10 PM
in reply to: Parkland

User image

, Pennsylvania
I don't spend over $50 on a pair of running shoes, always new and always on Amazon. I have logged a lot of miles over the years in my "low cost" shoes.

The key is you need to check in frequently as the pricing algorithms can sometimes alter the costs significantly. Also, don't worry about the colour.
2019-06-05 7:08 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Hey Curtis,
Yah, those are all the reasons I cringe at the idea.

I've been checking out sporting goods stores, and around here, they don't seem to carry good running shoes. Almost all of their shoes are light weight, maybe good for running a mile or two, but not anything I'd want to be putting serious miles on.

Some more searching on Ebay, theres a filter for new with defects. I'll keep an eye out there.

Parkland, thanks for the tip about Active Gearup, I'll check it out.

Steve, any search tips on finding distance shoes on Amazon? Again most of the shoes I'm seeing, I don't think I'd trust for long miles.

Thanks
2019-06-05 7:57 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Personally I find lower to mid-range Saucony shoes to be really durable and affordable for runners putting in a lot of miles. I can usually find these for under $50, sometimes as little as $30, at sporting goods stores like Big 5. There are also probably some good deals online. I like their somewhat higher end shoes better (the Kinvara is my favorite) as they are a lighter and more flexible but they are more expensive ($70-$110 range) and actually not as durable as some of the cheaper ones. If $ was tight, the basic shoes in the Grid series and similar will serve.

Ditto the previous posters--used running shoes are a bad idea, unless just for casual wear. The only exception might be where someone is selling barely used due to a fit/comfort issue or something. I've done that a few times as both buyer and seller, but the transaction was face-to-face between people who knew each other, not on E-Bay.

2019-06-05 3:18 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
I track my mileage for my shoes.
They can look fine, but depending where you run (outdoors, pavement, concrete, treadmills) the tread may not tell the whole story.

I ditch mine by 300 miles as this is the tipping point they start causing me foot issues.
Having to replace shoes is less costly than Dr and PT visits for feet issues.

I find a style and brand that works, and pay attention when the sales are and buy 2 to 3 pairs at a time.
Careful not to get too many as they could also stiffen up over time sitting in your closet and lose cushion.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying Shoes on Ebay Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Would you buy this Tri bike?

Started by stevendex
Views: 612 Posts: 9

2019-01-31 8:13 PM Parkland

buying used time trial bike- looking for tips

Started by Maverick2019
Views: 650 Posts: 6

2018-12-14 1:06 PM pistuo

Shoe tread wear