General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNS Explanation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-06-28 11:29 AM

Subject: DNS Explanation
Has anyone encountered a situation where a racer received a DNS in the official race results even if they did complete the race? I have a friend whose total time was visible in the hours immediately after an ironman race, but after a few days this was updated to DNS and no split times were listed. Just says DNS now. Wasn't sure if this could indicate a timing chip error? Or possibly that he skipped a portion of the course? Or maybe he didn't actually do the race and won't admit it, haha!! Perhaps the immediately available result was just based on preliminary gun time.

2019-06-28 12:48 PM
in reply to: seventypointme

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: DNS Explanation
I've seen a DNF show up after an initial time was posted. And I've seen an initial time be changed to a DQ. I haven't seen DNS. Not to say it couldn't happen, of course. What's the racing organization?
2019-06-28 12:50 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

It was an Ironman race and the results were on their official site
2019-06-28 9:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would have him contact the race director. Sounds like possibly a timing chip issue. To my knowledge if he actually started and the chip was functioning, it would only be possible to receive a DNF (if he dropped out or failed to meet a time cutoff at any point) or DQ (if the time was discounted due to a rule violation or mistake on the route, such as missing a turn, or missing a loop on a multiple-loop course).

How I know....had to have a rather detailed discussion of this with a course official during, sadly, a world championship event (70.3) after missing a turn on the bike along with quite a few other people. What I had done (riding the longer of two loops first instead of second) actually would have resulted in a longer ride if I had then done the second loop again, but I was told it would show DQ if I repeated the second loop, and DNF if I did the first loop second, thus completing the entire course but doing so out of order, (due to how electronic timing works). The only solution to avoid either result was to do the first loop, and then the second again, adding an extra 10-12 km to my bike loop (which I did). DNS never entered the discussion.

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-06-28 9:13 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DNS Explanation Rss Feed