BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-03-20 1:12 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

I managed my first outside ride in months: did 1.69 miles in a tiny flat loop by my house: leg a bit sore but hoping it is ok. The Birmingham drivers are still idiots!

2020-03-20 6:26 PM
in reply to: #5268544

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
70’ long run today that felt great! So nice to be out of my house for a while. The governor of the state announced we are to shelter-in-place as of tomorrow at 5pm. As far as I can tell, that means nothing new for my house. I’ve been working from home since last week. My wife has been working from home since Tuesday (although, it SEEMS like much longer!). Went to work today for a few minutes to grab some stuff before they shut campus. People were streaming out of my building with boxes and carts full of stuff. Seems like folks are starting to take this seriously around here (finally!).
2020-03-21 3:20 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Day 6 of the "Hostage Crisis" as we're calling it here.    We're pretty much adjusted to the new normal.  Daughter is settling into remote learning for finishing up her senior year of high school.  Wife is effectively out of work right now as she does restaurant and retail service auditing, but it's all fun money for us anyway.  Cancelled our April Florida trip and tentaviely moved it to Hilton Head as we can drive there and continue the same lifestyle/risk there.  My company has been great - we are full-on mandatory work at home now and they've ordered over 10K technology kits for our non work at home people to be effective, plus additional PTO for COVID issues.  No real change for me other than we start our conference calls talking about the COVID-19 impact on our lives.  Somehow I feel we'll all be a little closer through our distance after all of this.  

As for training, I did a relatively hard Sufferfest workout today, a HIITworkout where the second half is "inverse intervals" as it's as bad as it sounds.  I did set an all-time PR in my 12-17 second range watts.  I then did almost of hour of lower body and core work, including a live streaming core workout with my wife and daughter from my yoga studio which was hilarious (both the instructors and us LOL).  We then got takeout from our local sports bar that we go to all the time and gave a big tip.  I mauled a cheesesteak.  

I'm waiting for the cancel hammer to come down from USA Cycling for May, anticipate it any day so I'm pretty much punting the spring race season and might start having people feel my wrath on Zwift.

Hope everyone is hanging in there.  

2020-03-21 4:27 PM
in reply to: #5268656

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
90’ on the trainer today. A big blah, but done. Big excitement around here is that our toilet started leaking, so I have a project! A 20’ project, but I’m stretching it out. Went to the store and got the wax ring today. Tomorrow I’ll fix it. ??
2020-03-22 7:59 AM
in reply to: #5268679

User image

, Vermont
Hi all! Ten days off so I’m quarantining with the family. Unfortunately I have to head back to work next Saturday to work on Sunday. I actually have paperwork to carry stating it’s okay for me to be out and about. I finally get to be an “essential person” and I really don’t want to be one. Every little dry cough I have I have to wonder...

1:15 on the trainer yesterday. It’s been a week of no workouts here so I’m playing catch-up. Today I’ll run and maybe do some core/weights.
I spent my first two days home cleaning and doing laundry and assessing where my boys are with their home-studies.
2020-03-22 2:53 PM
in reply to: #5268693

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Two hours in the trainer at about 85%FTP. I can’t wait to ride outside.

2020-03-23 8:15 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all! Saturday went to DC and ran around the mall/saw the cherry blossoms and some monuments. It was a nice way to spend the day and still be mostly socially distanced (although there was definitely a crowd at the cherry blossoms...they were GORGEOUS).

Yesterday, I spent the day with two of my neighbors tending to my new plot at our neighborhood garden. It hasn't been tended in at least 2-3 years (about as long as I've been on the waiting list for a plot...isn't that funny...), so we spent about 3 1/2 hours cleaning it up and still have more to go. That was my workout for the day. My whole body hurt.

Just finished an online weight workout with my roommate. It's raining here, but I'm hoping it stops later so I can run to and from PT again...if they're still allowed to be open. We're all awaiting an announcement from the governor at 11, which we think will be a shelter in place order. All that matters to me right now is that I can still go outside.
2020-03-23 9:18 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hello all! hope everybody is healthy and in good spirits in this crazyness.

Take care of your loved ones. Gretchen, how is the office sharing with your wife going? please be careful not to fall out over this, we really need our loved ones right now. This has one good positive effect, it brought me closer to my husband that we've been for years (together for 20 years, taking each other for granted, you know the drill).

No pool for me (although they are not closed here (yet)) and still a little too cold for the lake so the focus is shifting from swimming to running. New year's best in the 5k today, "only" 2 minutes slower than my PB from 2 years ago, before foot problems. and 3 minutes faster than last week's year's best.

Took my new bike for its first spin yesterday. We're going to be very happy together!

take care!
2020-03-23 10:09 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Gretchen, how is the office sharing with your wife going? please be careful not to fall out over this, we really need our loved ones right now. This has one good positive effect, it brought me closer to my husband that we've been for years (together for 20 years, taking each other for granted, you know the drill).

Thanks Nathalie! Things are going fine. We have been together for 20 years too, so any "fighting" over sharing an office space is all in good fun. I drive her crazy. She drives me crazy. We both laugh at the absurdity of being annoyed with the person we love most. All good!

Rest day here for me. I DO NOT NEED A REST DAY!!!! I need to be outside and doing something, so later, when it gets a little warmer, I'm going to take the dog for a walk at least. Anything to not be cooped up in the house for an hour. Saturday I had to run out and get a wax ring for my leaky toilet. I felt like I was on a field trip from school! It was so nice to just be somewhere not my house, even if it was the animal feed store! (still open because it is deemed "essential")
2020-03-24 10:30 AM
in reply to: #5268713

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
90’ of trainer riding this morning. Good, solid workout, but I have to admit that I did fall off the bike this morning. How does one fall of a stationary bike, you might ask... well, in this case I stepped onto the hard wood floor with my bikes shoes instead of the rubberized mat under my bike as I was getting off and my leg just skittered out front under me and all the sudden I was falling with one foot still clipped in and holding on to the handlebars. Thankfully, I had the presence of mind to release the bike and my shoe came unclipped, so the bike and trainer didn’t fall on top of me (or damage my bike!). Things like that really set the tone for your day. :D.
2020-03-24 10:39 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in a 4 mile run this morning. Felt really good, right around 8:50 pace. Definitely feeling stronger and faster. Had PT yesterday and he destroyed me (in the best way).

Also did an online game with some friends last night. It's nice to find new ways to connect with people since we can't get outside. What have you all been doing to keep your sanity? I think what is interesting is that this is something that seems to be effecting the entire world. So even though we have people all over the world, we're all kind of in the same boat. It's a small world after all

2020-03-24 10:41 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

90’ of trainer riding this morning. Good, solid workout, but I have to admit that I did fall off the bike this morning. How does one fall of a stationary bike, you might ask... well, in this case I stepped onto the hard wood floor with my bikes shoes instead of the rubberized mat under my bike as I was getting off and my leg just skittered out front under me and all the sudden I was falling with one foot still clipped in and holding on to the handlebars. Thankfully, I had the presence of mind to release the bike and my shoe came unclipped, so the bike and trainer didn’t fall on top of me (or damage my bike!). Things like that really set the tone for your day. :D.

Oh no! I hope you're okay!!!
2020-03-24 11:48 AM

User image

Hey Everyone! I have been MIA for a while due to everything going on. I have had my two kids at home with me going on two weeks and also am working from home, so it leaves little time for much else. I am thankful that I am able to work from home, but most days I feel like I have ADHD- I work for a few mins, then get kids breakfast, work for a few more, try to set up fun activity for kids, work some more...over and over again all day. LOL

I have tried to keep up my workout plan, since my race on May 2 is not cancelled (yet). Also, I got in a nice bike ride outside on Friday! It was beautiful here and I could not pass it up. First time riding outside in 2020! Since the gym is closed, I have not done spin class or swam in a couple weeks. I am really tempted to buy a trainer, but not sure if I am willing to spend that much right now with warmer weather right around the corner.

As far as staying sane while isolated, we did our usual in person book club over Zoom last Thursday and we decided to make it a standing meeting over the next few weeks, just to talk and see each other. I also did something similar with my friends from college.

Hope that everyone is healthy and doing well!!

Ally
2020-03-24 1:54 PM
in reply to: #5268765

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Knee update:
I went to the ortho today and he has a very good news/bad news situation for me. As we all know, I have a hole in my knee. That’s the bad news. The good news is...there are options. So, option #1 is to get a steroid shot in the knee to try to reduce inflammation and stimulate healing of the hole on its own. Option #2 is to spin platelets out of my blood and then inject them directly into the joint/defect and see if that will heal it. Option #3 is surgery to cut the ligament away from the patella on the outside margin and drill holes in the bone at the site of the defect to stimulate bone healing and hopefully my body will heal the defect along with those surgical holes. And finally, option #4 is to surgically move the tibial tuberosity (the part of your knee that hurts when you kneel on a hard surface) slightly medially and then use cadaver bone tissue and cartilidge to repair the entire site by cutting a larger area out and replacing it with a plug of bone from a cadaver.

Of importance, option #2 is not covered by insurance.

So! What do I do?!? I chose to get (another) steroid shot in my knee today and we are going to revisit the issue in four months. All optional surgical treatments are currently stopped anyway, so it was the best option. I expect, in four months, I’ll be looking to schedule a knee surgery (pandemic permitting)—after my race, of course!!
2020-03-24 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 90’ of trainer riding this morning. Good, solid workout, but I have to admit that I did fall off the bike this morning. How does one fall of a stationary bike, you might ask... well, in this case I stepped onto the hard wood floor with my bikes shoes instead of the rubberized mat under my bike as I was getting off and my leg just skittered out front under me and all the sudden I was falling with one foot still clipped in and holding on to the handlebars. Thankfully, I had the presence of mind to release the bike and my shoe came unclipped, so the bike and trainer didn’t fall on top of me (or damage my bike!). Things like that really set the tone for your day. :D.

I have totally done this, too!  Glad you're OK.

2020-03-24 3:02 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Knee update: I went to the ortho today and he has a very good news/bad news situation for me. As we all know, I have a hole in my knee. That’s the bad news. The good news is...there are options. So, option #1 is to get a steroid shot in the knee to try to reduce inflammation and stimulate healing of the hole on its own. Option #2 is to spin platelets out of my blood and then inject them directly into the joint/defect and see if that will heal it. Option #3 is surgery to cut the ligament away from the patella on the outside margin and drill holes in the bone at the site of the defect to stimulate bone healing and hopefully my body will heal the defect along with those surgical holes. And finally, option #4 is to surgically move the tibial tuberosity (the part of your knee that hurts when you kneel on a hard surface) slightly medially and then use cadaver bone tissue and cartilidge to repair the entire site by cutting a larger area out and replacing it with a plug of bone from a cadaver. Of importance, option #2 is not covered by insurance. So! What do I do?!? I chose to get (another) steroid shot in my knee today and we are going to revisit the issue in four months. All optional surgical treatments are currently stopped anyway, so it was the best option. I expect, in four months, I’ll be looking to schedule a knee surgery (pandemic permitting)—after my race, of course!!

Yikes, none of them sound all that great, kinda cool in a way, but not in a way that I'd want to do it. 

Curious - how long do they shut you down after the cortisone shot?

2020-03-24 4:14 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove Knee update: I went to the ortho today and he has a very good news/bad news situation for me. As we all know, I have a hole in my knee. That’s the bad news. The good news is...there are options. So, option #1 is to get a steroid shot in the knee to try to reduce inflammation and stimulate healing of the hole on its own. Option #2 is to spin platelets out of my blood and then inject them directly into the joint/defect and see if that will heal it. Option #3 is surgery to cut the ligament away from the patella on the outside margin and drill holes in the bone at the site of the defect to stimulate bone healing and hopefully my body will heal the defect along with those surgical holes. And finally, option #4 is to surgically move the tibial tuberosity (the part of your knee that hurts when you kneel on a hard surface) slightly medially and then use cadaver bone tissue and cartilidge to repair the entire site by cutting a larger area out and replacing it with a plug of bone from a cadaver. Of importance, option #2 is not covered by insurance. So! What do I do?!? I chose to get (another) steroid shot in my knee today and we are going to revisit the issue in four months. All optional surgical treatments are currently stopped anyway, so it was the best option. I expect, in four months, I’ll be looking to schedule a knee surgery (pandemic permitting)—after my race, of course!!

I'd go to Egypt for one of your cadaver's gretch! 

2020-03-24 5:04 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Yikes, none of them sound all that great, kinda cool in a way, but not in a way that I'd want to do it. 

Curious - how long do they shut you down after the cortisone shot?

I've now had 4 total (2 in my ankle, 2 in my knee). They've never shut me down at all beyond the day of the shot. I think the most they've ever said was take the rest of the day off.
2020-03-24 5:09 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by sappho96

Oh...sadly they no longer have cartridge and/or collagen, so they aren't viable donors. Plus, finding next of kin to sign the paperwork would be a b!tch. :D :D :D
2020-03-25 5:33 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove
Originally posted by sappho96

Oh...sadly they no longer have cartridge and/or collagen, so they aren't viable donors. Plus, finding next of kin to sign the paperwork would be a b!tch. :D :D :D

lololol!!!

2020-03-25 9:18 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ahh Gretchen, that is a tough choice! Not sure I can help you make it without knowing more about 2-4 (recovery time, success rate, etc).

2020-03-25 9:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in some PT exercises last night after gardening (that is some hard work!). Did a half hour of yoga this morning, which felt really nice, and have PT again this afternoon. Hoping this rain stops so I can run to and from!

Edited by nicole14e 2020-03-25 9:20 AM
2020-03-25 4:35 PM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
One hour bike, 30’ run done as a brick today. I was up most of the night with work stuff (oh, don’t worry, not being actually productive work stuff, but just worrying about work stuff), so my motivation this morning was quite low. Didn’t end up getting on the bike until after 2, and then the weather was so beautiful I just ended up doing a brick so I could spend time outside. Turned out to be an awesome run. Tomorrow is supposed to be nicer, so maybe a ride outside!!
2020-03-26 12:39 PM
in reply to: #5268818

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1:35 on the trainer this morning. It felt really good. 9’ repeats at 102.5% FTP was the schedule. I was a little over zealous and all the intervals were at least 110% FTP. Oops!
2020-03-26 7:38 PM

User image

Hey all!
Sounds like everyone is coping! I feel like I'm finally getting back into a routine. I'm working from home with 2 kids, 6 & 12. They're good, but its distracting. When my wife is home I think it's worse than the kids. Lol.

I've been able to keep my workout schedule pretty consistent, but I'm not following a specific plan anymore. Bike or run day I just do a workout or ride I feel like for the time I have. Today was 1 hour: warmup, 4x (1 mi @ HM pace, .5 mi @ easy pace), cool-down.

I've been subbing strength for swimming, I'm going to add yoga with that too. Have you been doing your yoga Nicole? Sorry I bailed on you, but I'm back now. =)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5868 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123