BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-05-28 11:37 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Thanks everyone re: the guy! The worst part is he's a really great person. I just wasn't in it and it wasn't fair to him.

@Jenn - YES! The outdoor workouts are going to be huge. I'm excited for this weekend. I intend to spend as much time outside as I can.
Also, the Peloton...that's too funny. If only you could bring it with you on the road!

2020-05-29 2:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
It has been a long time coming, but I can finally announce that the patio is FINISHED!!!!!

Final metrics:
689sq ft (bigger than the first house I rented in grad school)
50,000lbs of gravel moved
10,000lbs of sand
???? lbs of dirt--I never quantified it, too depressing!! (but it was enough to fill all the low spots in my yard, so that's something!
9,000 lbs of retaining wall bricks
13,500lbs of paver blocks

and one broken finger!

All in all, a fun project that I never want to repeat!!

Before and after photos (and yes, I know that I need to clean my gutters now!)

Edited by drfoodlove 2020-05-29 2:52 PM

(before.jpg)

(after.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
before.jpg (2886KB - 2 downloads)
after.jpg (1868KB - 2 downloads)
2020-05-30 7:23 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove It has been a long time coming, but I can finally announce that the patio is FINISHED!!!!! Final metrics: 689sq ft (bigger than the first house I rented in grad school) 50,000lbs of gravel moved 10,000lbs of sand ???? lbs of dirt--I never quantified it, too depressing!! (but it was enough to fill all the low spots in my yard, so that's something! 9,000 lbs of retaining wall bricks 13,500lbs of paver blocks and one broken finger! All in all, a fun project that I never want to repeat!! Before and after photos (and yes, I know that I need to clean my gutters now!)

That looks awesome! And Happy Birthday!

2020-05-31 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

It has been a long time coming, but I can finally announce that the patio is FINISHED!!!!!

Final metrics:
689sq ft (bigger than the first house I rented in grad school)
50,000lbs of gravel moved
10,000lbs of sand
???? lbs of dirt--I never quantified it, too depressing!! (but it was enough to fill all the low spots in my yard, so that's something!
9,000 lbs of retaining wall bricks
13,500lbs of paver blocks

and one broken finger!

All in all, a fun project that I never want to repeat!!

Before and after photos (and yes, I know that I need to clean my gutters now!)

Gretchen - Wow - I hope you enjoy the heck out of that patio - you earned it! That is quite the project! So impressive! When I showed my girlfriend your handywork - she wanted to know if you could come and help us build one in Mass

Edited by Qua17 2020-05-31 9:47 AM
2020-05-31 10:00 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
The Good: I rode 20 miles today for the first time in I don't know how long! My friend came over to my place and we set out around 8 and got home around 10. It was a beautiful day and the bike path was fairly crowded. Hard to bike though in a mask but we managed. I felt strong during my first 10 but then I got tired on the way home. But I made it. SO that's good!

The Bad: I haven't done my PT exercises in 3 days. So that's bad as my back is killing me.

The Ugly: I didn't lose any weight this week. Major bummer. It broke my consecutive streak of losing 2 pounds per week at three.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Goals for this week:

1. Get below 250lbs
2. Do my PT exercises 5 out of 7 days
3. Keep looking for a bike coach

Onward!
2020-05-31 7:39 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Pretty quite weekend here. Saturday I did a 2:30 ride and then Sunday another 2:00 ride. Neither was remarkable, but both are done.

Spent the majority of the weekend just hanging out on the new patio, because it was (as Sappho noted) my birthday. No big celebration though, as we are still pretty much on lock down. All I really wanted was growler of beer from the local BBQ joint that has a smoked amber ale that is just awesome. Alas...they are closed due to the pandemic, so no beer from there. I ended up with some Founder's porter, which is a good beer. After several months of no beer though, four was enough to send me to bed early. :P

I'm going to admit that I've been struggling lately with the idea of a race, a big race. MiTi hasn't been cancelled yet (Aug 16 date), but I know the RDs are starting to think about what to do, since they sent out a survey to registered athletes on Friday asking what we want to do, choices being race as normal, race a shorter distance with a registration credit for the difference to be applied in 2021, or full deferral to 2021. I'm struggling with the idea that traveling to this race will unnecessarily expose others to me, and me to others, as I spend 3-4 days staying in a hotel, eating every meal out, and using services such as gas stations. Triathlon is not something that is essential (although training often does keep me sane!). How do I then justify putting others (and myself) in danger of transmission of a potentially deadly disease, just for a hobby. I could be over thinking it, but I've studied disease and epidemics and pandemics a lot and I'm not convinced we are out of the woods yet.

What are you all thinking? Does anyone still have races on the books? Among my friends down here, I'm the only one that still has a race and everyone is jealous, but I feel like they shouldn't be. The choice was taken out of their hands by the RD for the good of all, not just a few racers (and, lets be honest, mostly white, mostly middle and upper socioeconomic status racers with disposable income and free time) and potentially exposing service workers (disproportionately people of color and lower socioeconomic status) for a hobby. How is this different than wanting things to open up so you can get a haircut, a manicure, or a tattoo?

Sorry--this might more appropriately belong in COJ, but my experience over there is that three guys will gang up on the "soft liberal" for caring two whits about another human being and no substantive dialog will come of it. And frankly, I don't feel like being attacked for giving a sh!^ about other humans.

2020-06-01 6:46 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Pretty quite weekend here. Saturday I did a 2:30 ride and then Sunday another 2:00 ride. Neither was remarkable, but both are done.

Spent the majority of the weekend just hanging out on the new patio, because it was (as Sappho noted) my birthday. No big celebration though, as we are still pretty much on lock down. All I really wanted was growler of beer from the local BBQ joint that has a smoked amber ale that is just awesome. Alas...they are closed due to the pandemic, so no beer from there. I ended up with some Founder's porter, which is a good beer. After several months of no beer though, four was enough to send me to bed early. :P

I'm going to admit that I've been struggling lately with the idea of a race, a big race. MiTi hasn't been cancelled yet (Aug 16 date), but I know the RDs are starting to think about what to do, since they sent out a survey to registered athletes on Friday asking what we want to do, choices being race as normal, race a shorter distance with a registration credit for the difference to be applied in 2021, or full deferral to 2021. I'm struggling with the idea that traveling to this race will unnecessarily expose others to me, and me to others, as I spend 3-4 days staying in a hotel, eating every meal out, and using services such as gas stations. Triathlon is not something that is essential (although training often does keep me sane!). How do I then justify putting others (and myself) in danger of transmission of a potentially deadly disease, just for a hobby. I could be over thinking it, but I've studied disease and epidemics and pandemics a lot and I'm not convinced we are out of the woods yet.

What are you all thinking? Does anyone still have races on the books? Among my friends down here, I'm the only one that still has a race and everyone is jealous, but I feel like they shouldn't be. The choice was taken out of their hands by the RD for the good of all, not just a few racers (and, lets be honest, mostly white, mostly middle and upper socioeconomic status racers with disposable income and free time) and potentially exposing service workers (disproportionately people of color and lower socioeconomic status) for a hobby. How is this different than wanting things to open up so you can get a haircut, a manicure, or a tattoo?

Sorry--this might more appropriately belong in COJ, but my experience over there is that three guys will gang up on the "soft liberal" for caring two whits about another human being and no substantive dialog will come of it. And frankly, I don't feel like being attacked for giving a sh!^ about other humans.

Gretchen - three thoughts come to mind after reading your excellent post. First and most importantly, Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoyed a great weekend of just chillin out on that awesome deck. 2nd - sorry you didn't get your smoked amber ale but anything from Founders is a good call. I especially love their Centennial IPA. Third - I totally hear where you are coming from in terms of your quandary about whether to race the MiTi. I think it says a lot about you that you would be thinking so selflessly. An Iron distance race is a big deal and for you to put other people first says a lot about your moral character. Yesterday, I passed a pro trump rally that encouraged people to take off their masks and go back to work. These people clearly don't get that wearing a mask and staying home is as much about staying healthy yourself as much as it is about keeping other people, especially the less fortunate and susceptible well.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. If it were me, I would be so torn. On the one hand, I've put in tons of time to prep and train and I should have the celebration of my accomplishments. SO I can understand why you would want to race. Its a BIG deal. On the other side of it is the social obligation we owe to ourselves and others. I too would be wary of putting other people at risk. All I can really say is that I wish you luck as you try to Navigate your decision.
2020-06-02 6:48 AM

User image

Expert
Another 11 mile ride in the books. Yesterday was a recovery ride so my avg. speed was about 10 miles per hour. Slow!

I'm still looking for a plan for my century. I'm looking for a detailed plan that focuses on three areas of my training: duration, speed, and hills. I found some training plans on the Garmin Connect. They are pretty good and they are free but their distances are off. The longest ride they have is 4 hours long and its gonna take me 8-9 to complete my century. If I don't find another plan, I'll have to merge this with another plan that contains longer rides.

The other thing I had a problem with today was Map My Ride. I finished trying strava last week and now I'm giving mmr a run through it's paces. I know it's only day 1 but I miss the segments from Strava and I also hate the route finder feature of Map My Ride. Yesterday, I used it to find me a ride I was hoping could use side streets but 50% of my ride was along major roads with LOTS of traffic. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could find rides in my area where I can be safe?

Hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

Edited by Qua17 2020-06-02 6:49 AM
2020-06-02 10:25 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen - Your patio looks FANTASTIC! Great work! and happy belated birthday! Pandemics don't make for great celebrations but it sounded like you had a lovely evening and some yummy beer!
I do not envy your decision with your full. I personally feel like any anxiety surrounding it would ruin the experience for me. I would want to be totally focused on the race, rather than worrying about wearing a mask and/or avoiding people and whether I could spit if I need to or something like that. And are other people going to respect these issues or if they pass me are they going to get super close b/c they don't want to run around me or something.
I may eventually have to make the same decision, as my tri in early October has not been cancelled yet. It's a sprint, and typically a smaller tri, but it has been on my mind. Having the RD just cancel would definitely make it much less anxiety provoking.

Those are just my thoughts. Of course I support whichever decision you make!
2020-06-02 10:27 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
DQ, great job on the long ride! And it sounds like you're still being consistent. Three weeks in a row of weight loss is fantastic!
Do your PT today!

2020-06-02 10:30 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Since my last post I've gotten some work in. Friday and Sunday I did a workout from my one trainer, which is mostly strength/HIIT sometimes. Saturday I went on a longer run. Was just going to do four since I haven't been running as much, but ran into a friend on the promenade and she was just starting so I ended up doing about 5.5. Yesterday my roommate and I had our workout with our trainer. We got to do it in person at the Under Armour turf at their gym in the Inner Harbor, so we had a beautiful view while we worked out (I will get a picture next week!). And it was the most perfect day.
Had to do some grocery shopping this morning and had a meeting to prep for, but will be going on a walk after work (trying to get one in every day).

2020-06-02 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  the patio looks fantastic and you definitely deserve some time tilting back a beer on it.  And the race thing sucks and I agree with Nicole I'd rather it be cancelled and not worry about it.  Funny- my bike training was more successful and consistent AFTER my races were cancelled or postponed indefinitely.  Maybe that's a me problem.  LOL

@Nicole:  found some info on the Merritt pools re-opening, maybe as early as tomorrow for the swim team then a drop-in fee for the rest of us (date TBD); I'm assuming this is while they're not charging us our membership fee

@DQ:  nice work on the consistency and stick with that core work and PT!!!  The core work takes time and you have to commit to doing it as much as possible...just add on 10 minutes after every ride as part of your cool down.  As for training plans, for a century you probably need to ride 5 days a week with a build to 200 or so miles a week.  I think Riles mentioned you'll need to do a couple upwards of 80+ miles.  I'd do two harder rides, two easy ones, and one long one a week.  The only way to get better at hills is to go do them and push hard up them, and remember all hills are just hard intervals anyway so any hard intervals will serve that training purpose.  What type of bike are you riding (type, brand, material, tires, etc.)?  You could probably have some long-hanging fruit to make your rig move faster at the same effort.  The weight loss helps, too, especially on hills for us big guys.

I got in 35 miles on Saturday and was just cooked Sunday so took a day off, then hit up Zwift yesterday for 20+ miles then hiked 5 this morning with some weights and core work.  Our max here at the house is a 15 pound dumbbell so I'm not getting much stronger but at least keeping away the old man arms. 

I can't believe I'm saying this:  I REALLY miss swimming.  This is longest I've going in over 10 years, including the time around my back surgery.

2020-06-02 2:25 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nicole:  found some info on the Merritt pools re-opening, maybe as early as tomorrow for the swim team then a drop-in fee for the rest of us (date TBD); I'm assuming this is while they're not charging us our membership fee

Yeah, I know some of the outdoor pools (Towson specifically) already opened. I might go up this weekend. If you're interested let me know! Would be great to swim together finally! I think the numbers are limited so I'm not sure if I will be able to get in as an employee or not, but fingers crossed Drop in is $10+fees, so ends up being ~$12.
Canton will likely open a little later since it's indoors.
2020-06-03 6:37 AM

User image

Expert
My ride yesterday was great. It was an interval workout that called for me to get to zones 4 and 5 and while I didn't make it anywhere near that high, I was able to clock 3 minutes of 15 mph riding. As you know - this is lightning fast for me and I felt it during the ride but after it was over it was totally worth it. So in regards to my speed, I was STOKED! But in regards to my heart rate I was baffled. I was going really hard and my heart rate never got above zone 2.5 So my question is - what was I doing wrong? I think the fact that I was on a flat rail trail kept my heart rate low (I was stuck to 100 bps for large chunks of my ride) so I've got to find a ride around me where I can get out on the road and throw in some hills to get that heart rate up. BUt can you guys think of why my heart rate remained so low? I truly am baffled by it because I was really pushing hard.

In other news - I reached 250 this morning. That's 30 pounds of weight loss over the last year - so I'm headed in the right direction.
2020-06-03 6:45 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Yeah, I know some of the outdoor pools (Towson specifically) already opened. I might go up this weekend. If you're interested let me know! Would be great to swim together finally! I think the numbers are limited so I'm not sure if I will be able to get in as an employee or not, but fingers crossed Drop in is $10+fees, so ends up being ~$12.
Canton will likely open a little later since it's indoors.

Enjoy your swim guys. I can't wait to get back into the water. Since I can't OWS due to the fact I can't fit in my wet suit, I'm just waiting for the governor to open up the gyms out here.
2020-06-03 7:10 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 My ride yesterday was great. It was an interval workout that called for me to get to zones 4 and 5 and while I didn't make it anywhere near that high, I was able to clock 3 minutes of 15 mph riding. As you know - this is lightning fast for me and I felt it during the ride but after it was over it was totally worth it. So in regards to my speed, I was STOKED! But in regards to my heart rate I was baffled. I was going really hard and my heart rate never got above zone 2.5 So my question is - what was I doing wrong? I think the fact that I was on a flat rail trail kept my heart rate low (I was stuck to 100 bps for large chunks of my ride) so I've got to find a ride around me where I can get out on the road and throw in some hills to get that heart rate up. BUt can you guys think of why my heart rate remained so low? I truly am baffled by it because I was really pushing hard. In other news - I reached 250 this morning. That's 30 pounds of weight loss over the last year - so I'm headed in the right direction.

Remember that HR is a lagging indicator of effort so sometimes it takes a few minutes to get your HR up for a given effort.  A 3 minute interval starting in Z1 isn't going to get your HR up that high, unless you either go all-out (like to the point of falling over) or do it over and over again with short rests.  Next time, give 3 or 4 x 3' hard with 1' easy a try and see if it gets up.

And congrats on the weight loss!! 

2020-06-03 11:41 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

My ride yesterday was great. It was an interval workout that called for me to get to zones 4 and 5 and while I didn't make it anywhere near that high, I was able to clock 3 minutes of 15 mph riding. As you know - this is lightning fast for me and I felt it during the ride but after it was over it was totally worth it. So in regards to my speed, I was STOKED! But in regards to my heart rate I was baffled. I was going really hard and my heart rate never got above zone 2.5 So my question is - what was I doing wrong? I think the fact that I was on a flat rail trail kept my heart rate low (I was stuck to 100 bps for large chunks of my ride) so I've got to find a ride around me where I can get out on the road and throw in some hills to get that heart rate up. BUt can you guys think of why my heart rate remained so low? I truly am baffled by it because I was really pushing hard.

In other news - I reached 250 this morning. That's 30 pounds of weight loss over the last year - so I'm headed in the right direction.

Congrats on the weight loss, and the stellar ride!
2020-06-03 11:42 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all! This morning I did a short run (~2 miles) followed by a workout from my trainer. We are going to talk nutrition this week, so I'm looking forward to making some changes. I've been hovering up near my heaviest weight ever so something has got to give.
2020-06-03 12:47 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by Qua17 My ride yesterday was great. It was an interval workout that called for me to get to zones 4 and 5 and while I didn't make it anywhere near that high, I was able to clock 3 minutes of 15 mph riding. As you know - this is lightning fast for me and I felt it during the ride but after it was over it was totally worth it. So in regards to my speed, I was STOKED! But in regards to my heart rate I was baffled. I was going really hard and my heart rate never got above zone 2.5 So my question is - what was I doing wrong? I think the fact that I was on a flat rail trail kept my heart rate low (I was stuck to 100 bps for large chunks of my ride) so I've got to find a ride around me where I can get out on the road and throw in some hills to get that heart rate up. BUt can you guys think of why my heart rate remained so low? I truly am baffled by it because I was really pushing hard. In other news - I reached 250 this morning. That's 30 pounds of weight loss over the last year - so I'm headed in the right direction.

Remember that HR is a lagging indicator of effort so sometimes it takes a few minutes to get your HR up for a given effort.  A 3 minute interval starting in Z1 isn't going to get your HR up that high, unless you either go all-out (like to the point of falling over) or do it over and over again with short rests.  Next time, give 3 or 4 x 3' hard with 1' easy a try and see if it gets up.

So, I'm confused Mike. What exactly do you mean by "3 or 4 x 3' hard" Do you mean 3 to 4 intervals of 3:00 minutes?
2020-06-03 1:36 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17

So, I'm confused Mike. What exactly do you mean by "3 or 4 x 3' hard" Do you mean 3 to 4 intervals of 3:00 minutes?

You got it. 

2020-06-03 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

My work calendar was light this morning, so I got in a 90'+ ride outdoors, roughly 25 miles and rode it decently hard.  Really warm and windy out today and the tree/grass pollen was nuts.  Now I'm sitting on a 2-hour process review call about to claw my eyes out.

2020-06-04 6:26 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Hi all! This morning I did a short run (~2 miles) followed by a workout from my trainer. We are going to talk nutrition this week, so I'm looking forward to making some changes. I've been hovering up near my heaviest weight ever so something has got to give.

Nice job getting your workout in. Good luck with the weight loss! If you hear anything good - be sure to pass it along.
2020-06-04 6:39 AM

User image

Expert

My work calendar was light this morning, so I got in a 90'+ ride outdoors, roughly 25 miles and rode it decently hard.  Really warm and windy out today and the tree/grass pollen was nuts.  Now I'm sitting on a 2-hour process review call about to claw my eyes out.

Mike - Damn you're fast! SOrry to hear about the pollen - it's crazy up here too.

Question about the excellent advice you gave me about the bike and doing intervals --> If I can't get my heart rate up in a 10' interval - what will 3 minutes do for me? I had the same problem yesterday on the bike path. I was really pushing it - but my HR stayed really low because of how flat my ride is. But you're telling me different. Would you mind explaining why shortening the interval will work? I'm not questioning you - just trying to learn how to ride my damn bike.
2020-06-04 6:55 AM

User image

Expert
Last night I slept on my right arm funny and I can hardly move it this morning. Good thing the gyms aren't open yet - or else swimming would be out for today. Might have pinched a nerve because my shoulder hurts like a mother....

My "new" plan that I got from Garmin is too advanced for me. Yesterday after a long hard ride the day prior, my plan called for me to do a tempo ride. What the heck is a tempo ride? I interpreted that to mean a ride at race pace - is that even close to being right? Anyway - I just couldn't do it. My legs were like jello from my rides earlier in the week. So I just tried to push the pace as much as I could but I still averaged aroind 11 mph. Here's what my workout called for - how would you have modified it if you were my coach?

60 Minute Workout- Warm up.- Ride 10 minutes at tempo, 3 minutes recovery pace in zone 2. Repeat 2 times.- Finish the hour in zone 2 for 10-15 minutes.This is a great workout to start working on your threshold. If you're not used to these sustained efforts, you'll build the capacity to hold this intensity. As you get better, you'll be able to reduce recovery time between the reps, and work toward longer and longer intervals at this intensity.

Got on the scales today and I'm still hovering at 2 pounds above my goal weight. I am dying to get down two pounds to 249 this week but at this rate - it doesn't look like it's going to happen. But I'm gonna keep pushing and eating right and we'll see how it works out.

Onward everyone!
2020-06-04 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@DQ:  Tempo is zone 3, which is 70-82ish% of your FTP.  Tempo should feel moderately hard, like you know you can't do it all day but you could conceivably handle it for more than hour.  HIM race-pace is usually zone 3 for really experienced riders.

As for getting HR up, I'm wondering if your HR monitor is off.  Are you breathing hard after a ten minute interval?  If so, then you're probably in zone 4 at least.  If you're not, then you'll need to ride harder and maybe your limiter is leg strength vs. your cardio system, but for most guys (especially us larger ones) that usually isn't an issue.

That Garmin workout a typical zone 3 workout - zone 3 workouts need to be long to have any benefit.  It's asking you to ride at HIM race pace for 10 minutes, then back off for 3 minutes, then repeat two more times, then finish off with aerobic riding at the end.

It takes a long time to get in tune with your HR/power/RPE.  I've ridden like 25,000 miles the past ten years using HR only, then virtual power and HR, then finally a power meter and HR and I can feel the pressure on my legs and how hard I'm breathing and know more or less my power output and HR.

There's also a school of thought that says just throw all your measurement devices on the end table before you go out and ride and just enjoy it.  Workouts don't need to be perfectly planned and executed.  Says the data junkie with ten plus years of data here on BT. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 5985 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123