BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-06-04 10:49 AM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
@ Gretchen: the patio looks great!! Well done!!! I don’t envy your decision. I will say this, I was hoping to do a HIM on Labor Day weekend since IMMT was cancelled but it looks like that was cancelled too. Boo. I was hoping if they ran it there would be lots of precautions in place - a local race for the Vermont Sun Series Triathlon (sprints and Oly’s) had really thought it out, staggered swim starts, touchless check in, bottled water, etc and they were hoping to be a go for July and Aug races but the governor squashed it. They had really put in time and effort to figure it out. A long distance race is a different animal though with so many volunteers and large numbers. I find it interesting they’re kind of putting it on the racers. I think it’s great you’re thinking of others and have a concern. Maybe they’re looking to see if some defer so they run a smaller race? I don’t know. I wouldn’t want to run a shorter race after training, either all or defer. Your base building is awesome though if you do defer. My choice was made for me and I will say it took a lot of pressure off - particularly as there has been no access to swimming. Good luck with your decision and I agree with Nicole that I would want all of my focus on the race, not wondering if I’m contaminating someone or vice versa. Your immune system will drop after a race like that.

2020-06-04 10:50 AM
in reply to: #5270664

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
@ Dave: great workouts!! The weight loss will come, you’re building muscle too.
2020-06-04 10:51 AM
in reply to: #5270665

User image

, Vermont
@ Mike: nice rides! I miss the pool too, it’s been way too long.
2020-06-04 10:58 AM
in reply to: #5270666

User image

, Vermont
I got a couple of Peloton rides in last week - an FTP - reaffirming how out of shape I am. Haha. I traveled to Louisville and had a day there - got in a 5 mile power walk and a 45 min ride on my road bike in the trainer. Now I’m out and traveling - currently in LA. It’s cool enough I could run outside but they’re pretty strict here and I’m not 100% sure if I have to wear a mask when I run. That is one thing I won’t do - wear a mask while running or biking. Someone mentioned to just bring in with me and put it on as necessary. I may run stairs in the hotel instead, we’ll see. I also have the Peloton app and they have body weight exercises on it so I will have some kind of workout today.
My gym is opening on June 8th!! Yay!! Pool!! However..... you have to answer a questionnaire and one of the questions is, have you traveled out of state in the last 14 days... we’ll shoot, I’m a pilot so of course I have... I am never anywhere for 14 days. Once they open I guess I’ll call and have a conversation with them. I really just want the pool and can even forgo the locker room. I don’t know. I don’t see the policy changing for the next year as I’m sure there will be a resurgence next winter again.
2020-06-04 12:26 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 I got a couple of Peloton rides in last week - an FTP - reaffirming how out of shape I am. Haha. I traveled to Louisville and had a day there - got in a 5 mile power walk and a 45 min ride on my road bike in the trainer. Now I’m out and traveling - currently in LA. It’s cool enough I could run outside but they’re pretty strict here and I’m not 100% sure if I have to wear a mask when I run. That is one thing I won’t do - wear a mask while running or biking. Someone mentioned to just bring in with me and put it on as necessary. I may run stairs in the hotel instead, we’ll see. I also have the Peloton app and they have body weight exercises on it so I will have some kind of workout today. My gym is opening on June 8th!! Yay!! Pool!! However..... you have to answer a questionnaire and one of the questions is, have you traveled out of state in the last 14 days... we’ll shoot, I’m a pilot so of course I have... I am never anywhere for 14 days. Once they open I guess I’ll call and have a conversation with them. I really just want the pool and can even forgo the locker room. I don’t know. I don’t see the policy changing for the next year as I’m sure there will be a resurgence next winter again.

Jenn, everywhere I've seen mandatory quarantines, airline staff are usually exempted.  Hope that's the case for you.

2020-06-04 3:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

a

The illustration is a really good example of lagging HR vs. power output.  In this Trainer Road, 30 minute workout, the red line is my HR, the yellow line is my power output (and the white line across the top is my FTP).  The middle flat interval is five minutes long at 92% FTP, which is the sweet spot between zones 3 and 4 (239 watts for me) and should drive my HR up to the same percentage of my FTHR (max HR for an hour), which is about 128 or so.  I know you can't the see the numbers, but I never even get my HR close to that number.  You can see it lag behind, raising from 94 to about 112 or so at the end of the five minutes.  Then later I do those one minute anaerobic ramp-ups to 130/140% FTP, which should redline my HR, but doesn't.  I still don't even hit my FTHR of 134, maxing around 130 in the second interval.  And notice the lag.

What I'm getting at with respect to DQ's question around HR is that using HR as a measurement isn't useful unless you do REALLY long intervals, or many repeats as the workout below:

In this much longer one (5 x 10' at 88% FTP), I don't reach my target HR at all in the first interval, barely do it in the second.  It's not until the 4th 10-minute long interval that I hit my target HR within a couple of minutes.  Then I crack in the 5th interval...not one of my prouder moments 

Hope this helps illustrate what I mean.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2020-06-04 3:47 PM

2020-06-04 4:05 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice visual aid, Mike!!

I deferred my race today. I'm heart broken and disappointed and frankly just over the world today, but I know it was the right decision. RD says the race is still going to go on, "with modifications", but I just couldn't justify the risk to others, my family, and me.

The plan, instead, is to run a wife-supported marathon that day. Coach is looking into adjusting training to meet that goal, given the last three weeks have been ridiculously spotty training with all the house stuff--hey, did I tell you guys I lifted my house up 12 times yesterday? Okay...really just the floor joists in the guest room where my wife nearly fell through, but dang, lifting up a floor is HARD!! Figured out why the floor collapsed too. The former owner (who is a grade A idiot) cut through the joists to put in an AC duct (does this sound familiar to anyone else) and then reattached them to a 2x12 (solid choice there) by toenailing them in from above (terrible choice there) and...and...and my favorite part is that the joists are all about 1" too short...as in, they don't actually touch the beam replacement. The floor was being held up by nails driven in at an angle and the boards didn't even touch. The joists were sagging about 4" at the middle beam, so got a pole jack (literally a pole with a screw on one end with plates to disperse the pressure) and jacked them back up and then attached them properly with joist hangers. This is the part that gets me...joist hangers are $0.98 each. The total cost of doing it properly the first time would have been $12.
2020-06-04 4:06 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Jenn--are you in Louisville often? I am going to be there for a few weeks starting (hopefully) in late June for a project. We could meet up!
2020-06-04 4:21 PM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

, Vermont
Gretchen, that would be great!!! We could go out for a socially distanced beer! Hahaha! Let me know which dates and I’ll see if I’m there when you are! I hope so!
And holy crap on the floor jacking! We had to Jack our addition (put on way before we bought the house) and have it shimmer. One corner wasn’t even on the piling - I could jump up and down in the corner of the room and make that section of the house move. Argh.
2020-06-04 4:22 PM
in reply to: #5270678

User image

, Vermont
Mike, great visual!

Yes, I’m hoping the gym is amenable to that.
2020-06-04 4:25 PM
in reply to: #5270679

User image

, Vermont
Just ran (and a little walking) 6.5 miles out here in LA to Manhattan Beach. I stopped pausing my watch for all the crosswalks because there are so many. It was nice to get out. Off to nap then work through the night.. next overnight (over day really) I think is Des Moines.

2020-06-05 8:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
brummie land

Hey all, 0.2 mile walk for me and my broken toe today. Trying to upload a gross picture for you but can't. All ok but can't ride

Edited by sappho96 2020-06-05 9:01 AM
2020-06-05 4:39 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sappho96

Hey all, 0.2 mile walk for me and my broken toe today. Trying to upload a gross picture for you but can't. All ok but can't ride

Broken toes hurt like hell! I hope that you heal quickly and can get back on the bike soon. How did you break your toe?
2020-06-06 7:19 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by Qua17

Broken toes hurt like hell! I hope that you heal quickly and can get back on the bike soon. How did you break your toe?

Washing up! Slipped on my kitchen floor, and bosh! Owie! Going to try some one legged cycling this weekend just to stave off the craziness!

2020-06-06 9:47 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Managed a 0.5 mile single leg ride on trainer, 0.4 mile walk, and some arms and core too. I am now going to try a whisky taster pack i ordered

The Penderyn Gold Gift Pack tasting set contains three x 5cl miniatures, namely Penderyn Madeira, Peated and Sherrywood finishes.  

Madeira Tasting Notes

Nose: A classic freshness with aromas of cream toffee, rich fruit and raisins.

Palate: Crisp and finely rounded, with the sweetness to balance an appetising dryness.

Finish: Notes of tropical fruit, raisins and vanilla persist.

Balance: Oaky vanilla tones/dry sweetness

Peated Tasting Notes

Nose: It introduces itself with sweet, aromatic smoke. Under this, there are signature notes of vanilla, green apple and refreshing citrus.

Palate: An array of gentle flavours tempts even the most sophisticated palate.

Finish: Smoke and vanilla linger on the attractive medium-length finish.

Balance: Light smoke/citrus fruitiness

Sherrywood Tasting Notes

Nose: aromas of dark fruit and rich toffee mingle with green apples and hazelnuts to create a deeper mystery

Palate: rich sweetness gives way to refreshing dryness

Finish: sweet notes of toffee and sultana persist in the long finish

Balance: sherry and oak/winter spices

2020-06-07 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
Today has been a big day! My son graduated from high school this morning. While I was super proud of him, I felt bad that he didn't get to graduate with his class. Poor guy was all by himself as he walked across the stage during his assigned 5 minute time slot. Crazy what covid has done to even the simplest things like graduation.

This afternoon I went out on a bike ride on our local rail trail. I intended to ride 25 but when it was time to turn home, I decided to ride to the end of the trail, which added on another 4 miles. It was a crazy ride. Two of my masks broke so I had to stop at a CVS to buy another. I knocked over a 10 year old girl who walked in front of my bike despite my yelling out - ON YOUR LEFT (I felt terrible. Luckily she was ok and her father who saw the whole thing wasn't mad with me since his daughter walked into my path). But the best part was the fact that I rode a negative split for only the second time all month. There was no question of how fatigued I was but I was determined to have a good ride - something that I could be proud of.

In other news - I came up a pound short on my weight loss goal for the week. I know I'm adding muscle but it really bugged me to have fallen short especially when I only had a couple of beers all week. I will get below 250 next week but I so wanted the scale to work in my favor today.

To celbrate - we are having outback steak house delivered since we can't go out to eat. I'll be washing that down with an icy cold beverage - just not sure which yet.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

2020-06-07 5:41 PM

User image

Expert

Managed a 0.5 mile single leg ride on trainer, 0.4 mile walk, and some arms and core too. I am now going to try a whisky taster pack i ordered

The Penderyn Gold Gift Pack tasting set contains three x 5cl miniatures, namely Penderyn Madeira, Peated and Sherrywood finishes.  

Madeira Tasting Notes

Nose: A classic freshness with aromas of cream toffee, rich fruit and raisins.

Palate: Crisp and finely rounded, with the sweetness to balance an appetising dryness.

Finish: Notes of tropical fruit, raisins and vanilla persist.

Balance: Oaky vanilla tones/dry sweetness

Peated Tasting Notes

Nose: It introduces itself with sweet, aromatic smoke. Under this, there are signature notes of vanilla, green apple and refreshing citrus.

Palate: An array of gentle flavours tempts even the most sophisticated palate.

Finish: Smoke and vanilla linger on the attractive medium-length finish.

Balance: Light smoke/citrus fruitiness

Sherrywood Tasting Notes

Nose: aromas of dark fruit and rich toffee mingle with green apples and hazelnuts to create a deeper mystery

Palate: rich sweetness gives way to refreshing dryness

Finish: sweet notes of toffee and sultana persist in the long finish

Balance: sherry and oak/winter spices

Jackie - this is so cool. I want to get wiskey in the mail. What's the name of the company that does it? I've been getting into whiskeys and ryes lately. I don't love it as much as beer but I do love the fact that it's an unexplored world for me. So many whiskeys to try - so little time.

How were they?
2020-06-07 5:46 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Just ran (and a little walking) 6.5 miles out here in LA to Manhattan Beach. I stopped pausing my watch for all the crosswalks because there are so many. It was nice to get out. Off to nap then work through the night.. next overnight (over day really) I think is Des Moines.

Running in LA - how cool is that!

Jenn - I hope they let you swim in your pool. I know everyone is worried about Covid but youre a pilot - hopefully your gym will understand and make accommodations for you!
2020-06-07 5:49 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Nice visual aid, Mike!!

I deferred my race today. I'm heart broken and disappointed and frankly just over the world today, but I know it was the right decision. RD says the race is still going to go on, "with modifications", but I just couldn't justify the risk to others, my family, and me.

Good for you. You did the right thing by putting other people first. I know it must have been a tough decision but hopefully the mary will be incredibly rewarding. When will you be running it?
2020-06-07 5:55 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

a

The illustration is a really good example of lagging HR vs. power output.  In this Trainer Road, 30 minute workout, the red line is my HR, the yellow line is my power output (and the white line across the top is my FTP).  The middle flat interval is five minutes long at 92% FTP, which is the sweet spot between zones 3 and 4 (239 watts for me) and should drive my HR up to the same percentage of my FTHR (max HR for an hour), which is about 128 or so.  I know you can't the see the numbers, but I never even get my HR close to that number.  You can see it lag behind, raising from 94 to about 112 or so at the end of the five minutes.  Then later I do those one minute anaerobic ramp-ups to 130/140% FTP, which should redline my HR, but doesn't.  I still don't even hit my FTHR of 134, maxing around 130 in the second interval.  And notice the lag.

What I'm getting at with respect to DQ's question around HR is that using HR as a measurement isn't useful unless you do REALLY long intervals, or many repeats as the workout below:

In this much longer one (5 x 10' at 88% FTP), I don't reach my target HR at all in the first interval, barely do it in the second.  It's not until the 4th 10-minute long interval that I hit my target HR within a couple of minutes.  Then I crack in the 5th interval...not one of my prouder moments 

Hope this helps illustrate what I mean.

Mike this is really cool to see and helps me to understand the concept of lagging heart rate. But I'm still confused. In your post you mentioned that I should do really long intervals (10 minutes) but I did that and my HR never even got close to zone 3 and 4. So should I try shorter intervals?
2020-06-07 6:44 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Everyone,

I'm just here to let you all know that news of my untimely demise has been greatly exaggerated.

In all seriousness, life has been fairly hectic down here for the last few months, for all the obvious reasons (lock down with a 2 and a bit year old is great fun). And I spend most of my time on the forum here during my lunch break at the office, and well, we haven't been in the office much recently, again for all the obvious reasons. Sorry, but there has been so much posting here, I'm not going to try and catch up with it all in one go. That said;

DQ, it's great to see you back, and with some good news happening in your life. Congratulations on your weightloss so far, you're doing great.

Gretchen, The patio looks great. But not surprising to see the renovation trials continue, it seems to be a never ending theme for you this year.

For me training wise, things have been going ok. Other than a few 'rest' weeks I've been in the 4 1/2 hour - 5 1/2 hours training per week over the last few months, which is pretty close to what I've been aiming for. I've been mostly sticking to easy/zone 2 type stuff. Not that I think I'm going to have a heart attack or anything, but I did wonder with all the Covid hysteria, if something did happen to me when I was pushing hard, would people help? or would everyone stand back frightened of the plague... Hence, easy/Z2 stuff. Just reducing the risk. I'm starting to reintroduce harder workouts, as NZ is starting to get back to normal.

And I got to go for my first swim since January last week. On top of all the Covid, we are experiencing a drought, and now have water restrictions in place, so it's taken a while for pools to re open. But boy was it nice to be back in the water.

We've also got some big news. And I can tell you, my anonymous internet friends...

Baby #2 is due to arrive in the bullfrog house on December 24,2020. So things are going to get way more hectic. Unfortunately, I can only defer my Ironman entry once. So I am stuck with an entry for IMNZ, March 6 2021 (We've had no new Covid cases in NZ for 17 days now, only 1 known active case left in the country, so other than international travel I expect things will be well and truly back to normal for us long before then, so it should be going ahead)

Mrs Bullfrog is insisting that I still go ahead and try to do the Ironman (on the understanding that this is the last full Iron distance for many, many years), so we've come up with a plan where I will pretty much do a full Ironman training program before our new arrival, and then try and redo the last 10 weeks (with a newborn in the house) as best I can manage. So that turns into a 32 week training plan, with a couple of peaks starting in 7 weeks... Who knows, maybe/probably it will all fall apart when the new arrival gets here and the Iron dream is postponed, but so long as I keep having the full support of the family, we're going to give it a go.

Hope you all are managing the best you can in our new crazy world. And hope to be more active again.

Talk to you all soon.

2020-06-08 6:16 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog

Hi Everyone,

I'm just here to let you all know that news of my untimely demise has been greatly exaggerated.

In all seriousness, life has been fairly hectic down here for the last few months, for all the obvious reasons (lock down with a 2 and a bit year old is great fun). And I spend most of my time on the forum here during my lunch break at the office, and well, we haven't been in the office much recently, again for all the obvious reasons. Sorry, but there has been so much posting here, I'm not going to try and catch up with it all in one go. That said;

DQ, it's great to see you back, and with some good news happening in your life. Congratulations on your weightloss so far, you're doing great.

Gretchen, The patio looks great. But not surprising to see the renovation trials continue, it seems to be a never ending theme for you this year.

For me training wise, things have been going ok. Other than a few 'rest' weeks I've been in the 4 1/2 hour - 5 1/2 hours training per week over the last few months, which is pretty close to what I've been aiming for. I've been mostly sticking to easy/zone 2 type stuff. Not that I think I'm going to have a heart attack or anything, but I did wonder with all the Covid hysteria, if something did happen to me when I was pushing hard, would people help? or would everyone stand back frightened of the plague... Hence, easy/Z2 stuff. Just reducing the risk. I'm starting to reintroduce harder workouts, as NZ is starting to get back to normal.

And I got to go for my first swim since January last week. On top of all the Covid, we are experiencing a drought, and now have water restrictions in place, so it's taken a while for pools to re open. But boy was it nice to be back in the water.

We've also got some big news. And I can tell you, my anonymous internet friends...

Baby #2 is due to arrive in the bullfrog house on December 24,2020. So things are going to get way more hectic. Unfortunately, I can only defer my Ironman entry once. So I am stuck with an entry for IMNZ, March 6 2021 (We've had no new Covid cases in NZ for 17 days now, only 1 known active case left in the country, so other than international travel I expect things will be well and truly back to normal for us long before then, so it should be going ahead)

Mrs Bullfrog is insisting that I still go ahead and try to do the Ironman (on the understanding that this is the last full Iron distance for many, many years), so we've come up with a plan where I will pretty much do a full Ironman training program before our new arrival, and then try and redo the last 10 weeks (with a newborn in the house) as best I can manage. So that turns into a 32 week training plan, with a couple of peaks starting in 7 weeks... Who knows, maybe/probably it will all fall apart when the new arrival gets here and the Iron dream is postponed, but so long as I keep having the full support of the family, we're going to give it a go.

Hope you all are managing the best you can in our new crazy world. And hope to be more active again.

Talk to you all soon.

Andrew - COngrats on Baby #2! Wow - that is great news. I still remember those days and they were happy ones. and congrats on your race not being cancelled. I hope you will be able to fit in your training despite the new arrival. Finally - go kiss your wife for being so cool. What an understanding lady!
2020-06-08 6:18 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Great to hear from you, Andrew.  I was thinking about you this morning when your PM was on the news here announcing the "no COVID cases" date.  First off - congrats to you Kiwis.  While you have the advantage of natural isolation it took a lot of discipline as a country to make it happen.  Hopefully you'll be able to manage it going forward as you open the international travel spigot.

And congrats on Bullfrog #2!!    Good luck with the training strategy...just consider it a 10-week taper.  LOL  In all seriousness IM is a great distance to be able to play around with that, as you lose endurance really slowly.

2020-06-08 6:19 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning! Just a quick update to report that I dropped below 250 on the scale for the first time in three years. I'm stoked. Gonna have a beer tonight!!!
2020-06-08 7:12 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17

Mike this is really cool to see and helps me to understand the concept of lagging heart rate. But I'm still confused. In your post you mentioned that I should do really long intervals (10 minutes) but I did that and my HR never even got close to zone 3 and 4. So should I try shorter intervals?

For Zone 3/4, shorter intervals don't produce much training benefit (other than maybe when you're starting out, as it is getting your body ready for harder stuff).  For zone 3 the value starts at like 20 minutes or so, for zone 4 more like 10 minutes.  Again, HR = lagging indicator so for the beginning of your interval set it's best to go by RPE, as that HR for zone 3/4 takes a LONG time to get up to match the effort.  And outdoors is even worse because managing consistent output is so hard due to hills, wind, stop/start, etc.

Try lengthening to 15 minutes, then do a 2' rest, then do it again.  If your HR still isn't getting up there then you're not riding in zone 3/4, maybe more like higher zone 2 but because you've had a gap in hard training you're just not used to the effort level (i.e. suffering LOL). 

And don't overthinking it!    The most important part is getting out there consistently.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 6584 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123