BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2020-06-08 7:15 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN

@DQ - 29 miles - nice!!!  And yikes on the trail disaster...I'm paranoid when other people, especially with kids or dogs, are around (mostly wearing headphones so they have no situational awareness).

2020-06-08 7:44 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Qua17

Mike this is really cool to see and helps me to understand the concept of lagging heart rate. But I'm still confused. In your post you mentioned that I should do really long intervals (10 minutes) but I did that and my HR never even got close to zone 3 and 4. So should I try shorter intervals?

For Zone 3/4, shorter intervals don't produce much training benefit (other than maybe when you're starting out, as it is getting your body ready for harder stuff).  For zone 3 the value starts at like 20 minutes or so, for zone 4 more like 10 minutes.  Again, HR = lagging indicator so for the beginning of your interval set it's best to go by RPE, as that HR for zone 3/4 takes a LONG time to get up to match the effort.  And outdoors is even worse because managing consistent output is so hard due to hills, wind, stop/start, etc.

Try lengthening to 15 minutes, then do a 2' rest, then do it again.  If your HR still isn't getting up there then you're not riding in zone 3/4, maybe more like higher zone 2 but because you've had a gap in hard training you're just not used to the effort level (i.e. suffering LOL). 

And don't overthinking it!    The most important part is getting out there consistently.

Thanks Mike!
2020-06-08 10:09 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

42 miles for me on Saturday in and around a state park, mostly flat but crushed the one hill, setting PRs for wattage from 17 to 55 seconds.  Did a really easy recovery effort yesterday with a 2+ mile walk, 30 minutes easy on the trainer and some core work.  Planned day off today.  Back in the pool Wednesday morning - woohoo!!!!!! 

2020-06-08 10:26 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

@bulfrog - A lockdown baby? Yay!!!!! And Jacinda Ardern: yay! 

@dq - I just shout STOP or NO! Keep it simple for anybody dumb enough to not look where they are going. Hope you and your bike are ok?

@everyone else - hope you all doing ok? I am sooo looking forward to swimming! I even had a dream about open water swimming (I am that desperate!)

Whisky news: madeira was my favourite (sweet enough but not overwhelming); peated next (very dry tasting, nice after taste); sherrywood least (too full on). I tried all of them on their own and with a splash of water. Wednesday I am going straight up again with the madeira (I drink black coffee so feel obliged to go au naturel for my whisky); ginger ale with the peated, and lemonade with the sherrywood. My mates who introduced me to whisky also introduced me to:

Wynonna Earp and the Possibilities of Interdisciplinary ...

and Wednesday we are co-watching Season 3, Episode 7 (some big thing apparently!) so it will be whisky time again then!

@dq again: I got the whiskies from amazon and went for Penderyn as I am a bit Welsh. 

@gretch: there is a gorgeous gay storyline in Wynnona Earp too TSR Week of Ships | WayHaught Wednesday: How Nicole Haught Hooked ...

2020-06-09 6:41 AM

User image

Expert

42 miles for me on Saturday in and around a state park, mostly flat but crushed the one hill, setting PRs for wattage from 17 to 55 seconds.  Did a really easy recovery effort yesterday with a 2+ mile walk, 30 minutes easy on the trainer and some core work.  Planned day off today.  Back in the pool Wednesday morning - woohoo!!!!!! 

Sounds like you crushed it! Enjoy your first laps in a pool. I'm so jealous!
2020-06-09 7:51 AM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew—congrats on the tadpole!!

I got in a 30’ run this morning, in a steady rain. It felt good to be out again and my pulled calf didn’t hurt at all once I started running. It felt a little tight during the warmup, but once I got going, no pain at all. Three weeks rest seems to work...who would have thought?

2020-06-09 8:38 AM
in reply to: #5270765

User image

, Vermont
Dave, maybe you need to crank a bigger gear?
2020-06-09 9:08 PM
in reply to: #5270768

User image

, Vermont
30 min power zone endurance ride on Peloton. I feel like I’m cheating on my bike.
2020-06-10 8:35 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

@DQ:  Tempo is zone 3, which is 70-82ish% of your FTP.  Tempo should feel moderately hard, like you know you can't do it all day but you could conceivably handle it for more than hour.  HIM race-pace is usually zone 3 for really experienced riders.

As for getting HR up, I'm wondering if your HR monitor is off.  Are you breathing hard after a ten minute interval?  If so, then you're probably in zone 4 at least.  If you're not, then you'll need to ride harder and maybe your limiter is leg strength vs. your cardio system, but for most guys (especially us larger ones) that usually isn't an issue.

That Garmin workout a typical zone 3 workout - zone 3 workouts need to be long to have any benefit.  It's asking you to ride at HIM race pace for 10 minutes, then back off for 3 minutes, then repeat two more times, then finish off with aerobic riding at the end.

It takes a long time to get in tune with your HR/power/RPE.  I've ridden like 25,000 miles the past ten years using HR only, then virtual power and HR, then finally a power meter and HR and I can feel the pressure on my legs and how hard I'm breathing and know more or less my power output and HR.

There's also a school of thought that says just throw all your measurement devices on the end table before you go out and ride and just enjoy it.  Workouts don't need to be perfectly planned and executed.  Says the data junkie with ten plus years of data here on BT. 

I'm definitely just one of those "throw the measurement devices on the end table before you go out and ride and just enjoy it." I'm sure it can be helpful, but sometimes you can just go by feel. There are definitely days I don't push myself though, so I can see this being a useful tool.

Also, CONGRATS ON GETTING BELOW 250, DQ!!!!! That's super exciting. Keep up the great work!
2020-06-10 8:40 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Sorry I have been off the grid! Love seeing all this activity even though most races have been cancelled.

Gretchen, I'm really sorry to hear about your race, but the marathon will be awesome! You will definitely have to keep us posted on that.

Sappho, sorry to hear about your toe!!! That sounds painful.

Andrew, CONGRATS! A quarantine baby, that's so exciting. And also amazing that you guys are COVID free.
2020-06-10 8:43 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
The last week has been crazy. I have been active most days, either doing trainer workouts, boot camps, or running. I got tested for COVID on Friday so I could come and spend a week at my parents' house and help them get the house ready to put on the market. It's really nice being here. They have a lot of space for one, so I have an entire basement to myself while I work. My roommate is great, but my house was feeling really small last week.

Also, with all the protests and stuff, it's been a bit crazy here. And I just found out the my division will be absorbing another division at work, so life is about to get even crazier (this means more direct reports and lots of messes to clean up). It's a great opportunity, but will be a lot of work.

Keep the updates coming! You all inspire me!

2020-06-10 10:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

This was my morning:

Smoothed out 1500 yards in ONLY(!!!) 43 minutes.  LOL  Did a whole bunch of drills as I'm trying to use this opportunity of losing bad habits in my muscle memory and imparting some good ones (you know...like actually kicking...).  I have a feeling I'm going to hurt tomorrow.

Got in 30+ miles in yesterday outside, mostly Z2/Z3 riding but can't help but push a bit on the hills.  It's nice with the weather being warmer and it being light so early - makes the scheduling much more flexible.

Of course, during swimming my mind wanders and I was thinking about goals for the rest of the year (similar to Gretchen's marathon and DQ's century plans).  Like you all triathletes, my cycling races have all been cancelled (though I hold out hope for one rescheduling into September...) so I wanted something specific to train for besides getting my azz handed to me on Zwift.  I was thinking of doing a self-supported half IM maybe early fall.  Though my back has improved quite a bit over the past year I'm still a little leary of running, at least until the end of the summer, so I'll be walking the HM part.  The good news with that is I can hammer the bike and not worry about having to walk the run!   I know I can get my swim back on track in a couple of months, and I'm already pushing 50 miles on the bike and walking 5-6 miles, just not putting it all together coherently.  More thought on this required...

Edited by jmhpsu93 2020-06-10 10:15 AM
2020-06-10 2:16 PM
in reply to: #5264507

User image

, Vermont
Wow, so many nice things to read on here!!
Dave, congrats on the weight loss!!

Andrew!!!!! Baby!! Congratulations! That’s really cool of your wife encouraging you to train.

Mike, great idea on the HIM, you’ve got the wheels turning in my head to do similar here too.

Sappho, loving the spirits! I’m into Rye now and am in love with Angel’s Envy Rye. It’s finished in rum barrels and has an ever so slight sweet kick at the end. I love it!

Nicole, I’m so glad you get to spend some time with your folks, that is so key. I may look to get tested so I can visit my in-laws (my hubby and boys have been going well after I head back to work, but with my traveling I just don’t want to chance it.).
2020-06-10 2:25 PM
in reply to: #5270816

User image

, Vermont
Our gyms here have opened this past Monday and as I had mentioned previously, one question they ask is if you’ve been out of state in the previous 14 days. I could have lied.. but I didn’t. I went in and had a conversation with them explaining my and many others’ in my same situation. They said nope. I said, well keep my membership frozen for now and if this goes too long I’ll be looking for a refund. (I had just re-upped my family’s membership at the end of February - great timing). If I could fit an endless pool in my house I’d take the $1200 from the gym membership and put that toward it.

Going to hit the peloton for another ride this evening
2020-06-10 2:28 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

This was my morning:

This is heaven in one perfect picture. 

2020-06-10 2:29 PM
in reply to: #5270817

User image

, Vermont
Oh, the interesting thing is, the rest of my family can go to the gym, just not me. (Shrugging and confused emojis inserted here).

2020-06-10 2:35 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Of course, during swimming my mind wanders and I was thinking about goals for the rest of the year (similar to Gretchen's marathon and DQ's century plans).  Like you all triathletes, my cycling races have all been cancelled (though I hold out hope for one rescheduling into September...) so I wanted something specific to train for besides getting my azz handed to me on Zwift.  I was thinking of doing a self-supported half IM maybe early fall.  Though my back has improved quite a bit over the past year I'm still a little leary of running, at least until the end of the summer, so I'll be walking the HM part.  The good news with that is I can hammer the bike and not worry about having to walk the run!   I know I can get my swim back on track in a couple of months, and I'm already pushing 50 miles on the bike and walking 5-6 miles, just not putting it all together coherently.  More thought on this required...

Random idea, loosely based on what i did once. How about you mix your distances up? I once swam the IM distance, but have only ever run 10k max, and ridden 40k max. How you feel about maybe doing a oly distance swim, half IM ride and sprint distance run? 

And as for Zwift a$$ handing, it nearly happened to a certain Mr C. Froome on Sunday!

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/power-data-reveals-the-efforts-behind-chris-froomes-celebrity-zwift-race-featuring-olly-murs-and-mel-c-457502

2020-06-10 2:38 PM

User image

Expert

This was my morning:

Smoothed out 1500 yards in ONLY(!!!) 43 minutes.  LOL  Did a whole bunch of drills as I'm trying to use this opportunity of losing bad habits in my muscle memory and imparting some good ones (you know...like actually kicking...).  I have a feeling I'm going to hurt tomorrow.

Got in 30+ miles in yesterday outside, mostly Z2/Z3 riding but can't help but push a bit on the hills.  It's nice with the weather being warmer and it being light so early - makes the scheduling much more flexible.

Loved the picture of the pool. God, do I miss swimming. My Y has an outdoor pool but gyms here aren't allowed to open for another few weeks. So, I am out of luck.

As for your idea of doing a Half IM - I think that's a great goal. You're probably pretty close to being able to do it now.
2020-06-10 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
With the hopes of avoiding traffic on the bike path - I got up at 5:45 and was out the door by six. I was pretty stoked by my performance. My overall speed was close to 13 mph but I had a few intervals where I hit 15 mph. I can't sustain the speed now - in fact I cracked on my last interval - but at least the speed is there. The problem is - my bike path is pancake flat - I need to get out on the roads so I could get some hills into my rides. Since my century isn't on the path - I need to hit the roads so I can be prepared this October.

I've got PT tonight - hopefully they can strengthen my weak core muscles. I really need help in that department.

Hope everyone is doing well!

2020-06-10 5:08 PM
in reply to: #5270819

User image

, Vermont
Nice ride, Dave!!
2020-06-10 5:58 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Thank you all for the welcome back,

Mike, yes a 10 week taper is pretty close to my thinking too. The idea is going to be to build fitness before the new arrival then try my best to hang on and not lose too much, rather than keep building.

And thank you all for the new baby wishes, but we're not quite having a coronial quarantine baby. The dates say its a week before we went into house arrest... so not quite, it was planned. Although I do imagine that in 5 years and 8 months or so there will be a big, big class of kids starting school, so that's something we're going to have to deal with.

Re: NZ's covid results. Being an isolated island (easy to control borders), with a relatively small population, and low pop density. We had some big advantages to fight a virus, so it's not that surprising we have shut it down faster than others. While it is great we're pretty much back to normal now, we've got some big questions and problems coming that the govt doesn't yet appear to have any answers for.

Yes, we have eliminated the virus, but we're a small nation, heavily dependent on international tourism (our biggest single export earner) There is a very good chance that once it has finished burning through, covid19 will become just another endemic virus around the world, like the other corona virus's that cause the common cold. At what point can we reopen internationally? Do we have to wait for a vaccine that is at best years away, or possibly will never exist (like with SARS etc.) Are we shut off for ever? or do we have to open up, let the virus in and go through the pain the rest of the world is experiencing now at some later date? We can't stay shut off from the world forever, otherwise we become like a cuba/north korea.... not good.

Sorry for getting all political, that did turn into a bit of a rant. But we've got some big issues facing our country now, and 'be kind' from Cindy just doesn't cut it. Yes we won the first round, but in 12, 18, 24 months from now, I worry that we are going to be in all sorts of trouble compared to Europe/USA etc.

2020-06-10 6:00 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Like you all triathletes, my cycling races have all been cancelled (though I hold out hope for one rescheduling into September...) so I wanted something specific to train for besides getting my azz handed to me on Zwift. 

Solo HIM sounds fun, but will you be happy with not running?

Have you considered finding a local hill and an Everesting attempt on the bike? You are beasting it on the bike at the moment, and that's quite the solo challenge....
2020-06-10 6:08 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Dave: Good ride. keep it up.

Mike: Is there a nicer sight than an empty lap pool waiting for you? Nice swim, and bike.

Me: Good start for the week.
M: 40 min easy run,
T: 45 min indoor bike, easy with 10 min fast finish
W: Back to the pool, 10 x 100. The upper body is very clear I haven't swum alot in months....
T: 30 min easy run before work.

Keep up the good work guys.
2020-06-11 7:06 PM

User image

Expert
I blew it this morning and set my alarm for the wrong time (I think my brain wanted to sleep in) so I wasn't able to get my ride in before work. By the time work was over, it was pouring outside so I decided to hit the trainer in the basement. It was great. I got to watch HBO Max (Big Bang Theory) while I put in my time. It was a nice way to end the day. I rode for an hour so I figured I would have traveled 11 miles. Bam.

To try to motivate myself, I signed up for a virtual challenge, which is turning out to be pretty cool. The company that runs it is called Conquerer Virtual Challenges. My challenge is to bike from the south of England to the North in 20 weeks. It's a 1000+ trip and I should finish it sometime in late October. What I like about it is that they use Google Maps so not only can you keep track of the towns you pass but you can use earth view to show what things look like where you stop. Last night, I stopped right in front of a pub. Too bad it's virtual. If you're interested, here's the link: https://www.theconqueror.events/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrIf3BRD1ARIsAMuugNulv...

Finally - if you're the praying kind... please pray for me and my job. I just started three weeks ago (I work for a company that renegotiates people's bills for them) and it's a very anxiety-provoking job. So, I decided to meet with my HR manager to see if some accommodations could be made during the first few weeks so I could gain some confidence. Within two hours of the meeting, my manager called a meeting with me and the point of it was to try to get me to quit. They're not firing me but they might because I have not been performing as well as some of the other people in my training class. I'm not the suing kind but I was really upset about how they handled the situation. Not only did they not provide accommodations ("you can either do the job or you can't") but they started the process of terminating me. So upsetting. I don't know what to do - should I keep the job or return to a job I hate (cashier at CVS)? Sorry for the personal stuff but today really threw me for a loop.

I hope everyone is doing well!
2020-06-11 7:09 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog
Me: Good start for the week.
M: 40 min easy run,
T: 45 min indoor bike, easy with 10 min fast finish
W: Back to the pool, 10 x 100. The upper body is very clear I haven't swum alot in months....
T: 30 min easy run before work.

Looks like a pretty good start to the week! So jealous that you get to swim.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers' Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2020 Version - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 55

RELATED POSTS

Rob Schwartz Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by rmschwartz418
Views: 6559 Posts: 108

2020-03-29 1:36 PM eea123