BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-06-29 12:59 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open

Stage 4 in the books, the Rising Empire course in New York.  NYC is a tough course overall because there are almost no flats at all.  Did two KOM climbs (I bet you're wondering..."they have mountains in New York?" - why, yes, Zwift created a raised futuristic bike highway in the city) at just above threshold and then held Z2 the rest of the ride.  About 67 miles and 3500' of climbing so far.  Crit race tomorrow and it's going to be a short pain fest.

2021-06-30 11:50 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Crit race tomorrow and it's going to be a short pain fest.

Mission accomplished, 25 minutes or so doing a long over-under.  I had a small field so I went out with the leaders for the first lap and survived ,then settled into the 2nd group and hung with them until about a 1/2 mile to go, then cracked.  I still need that last push to be able to finish hard.

2021-06-30 12:13 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Afternoon from the steaming hell that is Boston the last few days. Yesterday the temp hit 96 and the humidity was terrible. Today the temps heading back in that direction again but at least we have air conditioning.

Yesterday after my walk - my feet and legs really started to howl. The feet concerns me because I have always battled Plantas Faciitis when I start an exercise program. I don't think I'm doing too much, I just need to strengthen the muscles of my foot so that they can better handle the load. I'm hoping to start a post workout program heavy on preventive exercises to avoid getting injured like I always do and with only 14 weeks til the race - I don't have any spare time to spend on the IR.

This morning I didn't have to work so my plan was to get up at 7 before it got too hot but those plains were quashed when I woke up with a migraine. It didn't go away easily and it wasn't until 10 that I finally made it out of bed. By the time I ate, dressed, and prepped my bike, the temps had risen to 88 degrees. Luckily the rail trail where I do most of my riding is covered so I didn't get too hot but I baked every time I came out from under the trees. Even with the heat, I still tied my fastest time for the root for the month so I think that's pretty good considering the heat.

Also - I had my first self-made breakfast in a long long time. I'm always eating bagels from Dunkin for breakfast but I need to eat healthier if I am going to drop the weight and run the race. So I broke out the oatmeal and added some frozen berries. Man - that oatmeal tastes good - at least as far as oatmeal goes. So things are starting to click. Slowly but surely I am turning back on the systems that allowed me to do some pretty challenging things over the last 10 years since I did my first tri in 2011. I'm gonna have to keep building steam if I have any shot of running with my son.

Question - I saw this great picture on one of my tri feeds and I wanted to paste it directly into my message so you all could see it without having to click on the attachment. How do you do that? Check out my attachment - it's about tri and it's pretty cool.

Hope everyone is having a nice cool day.

(IMG_0276.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0276.JPG (120KB - 5 downloads)
2021-06-30 12:20 PM

User image

Expert

Mission accomplished, 25 minutes or so doing a long over-under.  I had a small field so I went out with the leaders for the first lap and survived ,then settled into the 2nd group and hung with them until about a 1/2 mile to go, then cracked.  I still need that last push to be able to finish hard.

Mike - One of the things I do is to try to ride my last mile as fast as my first. It's pretty much impossible for me to achieve since there is a big downhill at the start and that same hill is waiting for me to trudge up it at the end. But that doesn't stop me from seeing how hard I can push at the end which I believe does two things - by making my body perform at a high level when its tired gives me both the physical and mental toughness to finish races strong (or at least this is what Ive done in the past) and it also toughens me up mentally so I can keep pushing even when I'm beat.

You're a machine - you'll get there.
2021-06-30 3:10 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17

Mike - One of the things I do is to try to ride my last mile as fast as my first. It's pretty much impossible for me to achieve since there is a big downhill at the start and that same hill is waiting for me to trudge up it at the end. But that doesn't stop me from seeing how hard I can push at the end which I believe does two things - by making my body perform at a high level when its tired gives me both the physical and mental toughness to finish races strong (or at least this is what Ive done in the past) and it also toughens me up mentally so I can keep pushing even when I'm beat. You're a machine - you'll get there.

Ha - yes your approach is really sound and highly recommended for a time trial, bike leg of a tri, or even just a training ride.  A criterium is a whole different animal.  You HAVE to stay with a group for drafting, no matter the costs.  If you wind up time trialing a mass start bike race like that, unless your fitness is off-the-charts better than your competition they'll pull away from you.  Drafting saves 20-30% effort level, depending on a bunch of other factors.  I'm also out-kicking my coverage a little in the category I race as I'm towards the back of the pack to begin with.  I'm happy I held on as long as I did. 

Alan could probably explain it better as he has more racing experience.

2021-06-30 4:28 PM
in reply to: #5276876

User image

, Vermont
Ack! Zero for me today.. but I did sleep for 6 hours! Bonus! In Providence, RI heading out in a couple of hours, looks like storm dodging tonight! Tomorrow I’ll be in St Louis and hoping for a decent gym with a pool or spin bike or something. I do need to run but always put that on the back shelf if I can access the other two.
Stay cool, all, the furnace is on!

2021-07-01 12:33 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Stage 6 today was supposed to be in Richmond, which would make some sort of logical sense after spending three days in New York.  However, Zwift decided to change their guest world lineup to France and Paris, so I had to hop an overnight pretend flight and do a route in France, and then I'll have to immediately get back on a plane back here to Baltimore for three stages.  Good grief, don't they know I spent like 10 whole minutes planning my route out??? 

The workout still went as planned, Z2 with some sprint practice which went well.  Then I did some dumbbell and core work so my body doesn't fall apart.

Looking forward to the long weekend and getting in probably 100 or so miles the next three days.  Anyone else have anything big planned?  OK, other than Nicole in Alaska, Andrew who doesn't have a long weekend, Jenn who is probably flying/working, anyone?  DQ??

2021-07-02 2:45 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

No long w/e here...now I'm jealous! 

2021-07-02 5:42 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by sappho96

not here either. unfair.
2021-07-02 3:44 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by sappho96

Well I'm quite sure your country isn't celebrating this weekend.  

2021-07-03 6:48 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got in about 25 miles yesterday on some wet pavement and really humid conditions, but it went well.  Today is going to be much cooler and I have another 25-30 planned.  Legs are toast. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

2021-07-03 8:30 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
45k ride this morning (2 hours). Knee is acting strange (feels swollen and unstable) so no running for a few days to see what happens.
Long swim tomorrow (if my shoulder allows it)
Have a nice long weekend american friends!
2021-07-04 9:56 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hope the knee feels better Nathalie.  I've had random knee swelling in the past and it usually resolves itself, but hope it's nothing worse than that and that it doesn't impact your golf game.

Nine stages done now, a little over 170 miles so far.  I was going to do a 35-mile ride outdoors today but I had a really bad night's sleep and dealing with a little saddle soreness so took it easy on the trainer.  I don't like riding outdoors when I'm tired sleep-wise as I find I daydream and I'm not as sharp with handling.

Day off tomorrow...yay!

2021-07-04 9:47 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Ok, lots to catch up on here.

For me, the last week was a bit of a disaster training wise for me with only 3 runs, followed by 4 consecutive days off. I even had 2 days without even foam rolling. My excuses,

1. I was away for work for 3 days during the week. This means early starts and long days on your feet.
2. We had 2 sick kids at home. Not covid related, but both little ones have had RSV (we only know that RSV is a thing now due to every sniffle getting tested thanks to covid. In the before time, it'd just be 'the common cold' for adults, but apparently can be quite serious for little ones) Anyway, NZ is having a bad winter for RSV, lots of children's emergency departments have been over run in the last few weeks. Kindy sent home a warning a few weeks ago that it was around, but no escaping it. So a week of sleepless nights for Mr and Mrs Bullfrog, and both little tadpoles.

Mr 4 seems to be back to normal, and Miss 6 months is still coughing but back to an 8 or 9 out of 10. Way better than a few days ago. So hopefully we are past the issues.

Looking to be back to normal this week. So, some goals:

Nutrition
1. No junk snacking after work
2. Log every thing and be honest
Training
1. Minimum of 4 runs and 3.5 hours total for the week
2. Long run 70 minutes or longer
3. 2 runs with some Quality in them (tempo/interval etc.)
2021-07-04 10:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
DQ I like the craft beer/cats reward/penalty plan. We don't have Coors (light or otherwise) in NZ, so we're not going to be able to match specific beers. But totally on board with the concept. I think photo evidence of terrible beers would be required tho.

The only change I'd like to make for me, is I'm not having beers every night these days. Too many calories. At the moment I'm buying a 6 pack of something on Friday after work which sees me through the weekend. So a daily reward punishment is a not great.

How does 3 runs M-F and calorie goals met 4/5 days M-F, and I get a nice 6 pack. Either of those not achieved and I get which ever generic terrible beer is on sale that week? Or do you think average calories under goal and/or total training time is better?

I'm happy to kick off this week if you are.

Mike Your Tour de Zwift is epic. You're guilting me for being on the trainer a grand total of 30 minutes since Ironman. Keep it up.

Nathalie How is the knee? Hope that you've recovered quickly.

Jenn Amazing consistency when on the road. As always. Puts my efforts on my limited travel to shame.

Have a good 4th of July.

Edited by bulfrog 2021-07-04 10:06 PM

(download (1).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
download (1).jpg (9KB - 4 downloads)
2021-07-05 9:57 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Bravo, Andrew, bravo! 

That's about the worst insult I could come up with when searching NZ memes.  No one hates Kiwis. 

2021-07-06 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Stage 10 done, another ~ hour ride this time in Yorkshire near @Sappho .   I did a 30' sweet spot ride as the main set.  Tomorrow is a 40+ mile ride in London tomorrow that'll be well over two hours so a tough one.

2021-07-07 10:37 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone! Finally back into a routine and all caught up on here!

Mike - You are crushing your goals with these bike races. Keep up the great work! Hope you had a great time in France!

DQ - Glad to hear you are hitting goals! You still went biking even after waking up with a migraine. Awesome!!

Andrew - Give yourself some grace. I don't have kids, but I imagine it's pretty exhausting, especially when they're sick. Today is a new day!

Jenn - I too am impressed with how you always keep up your training while traveling. You're a rockstar!
2021-07-07 10:47 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Okay, I still don't know how you all get photos to show in your posts but I'm giving it a whirl. I'm back from Alaska, aka the most beautiful place I've ever been. It was amazing. I did lots of hikes, saw some pretty awesome views, went whale watching (only saw 2 humpbacks from a distance), went jet skiing to glaciers (most fun I think I've ever had, and it was gorgeous), and saw a bear! Also drank lots of beer...mostly stouts since it was a little cooler there and they are my fave beers.

I went on one run while I was there, but mostly hiked in the morning while my friend and her brother slept in (I was going nuts just sitting around the apartment waiting for them to get up, so I ventured out on my own a few times). Most of the trails there have insane elevation, so I didn't run much, but got LOTS of steps.

Since getting home and trying to get back in my routine, I've done a water battle (annual tradition for my neighbors and I on 4th of July weekend), went on a run yesterday, and went to my gym this morning. I'm back on my schedule for sleeping finally. Going to the beach Saturday but hoping to keep my early wake up and workout routine while I'm there. It will be pretty flat but there might be a gym at my resort I could get some elevation on a treadmill at. We'll see.

So I told you guys about the ragnar qualifier. Unfortunately coming in fastest for that has me as the anchor for the race, which means everyone will be enjoying beers while I finish, and my last leg is the 6.5 mile trail Woof. It will be fun though! I'm gonna need to get some two a days in followed by a run the following day too to get my legs ready for that volume. Gonna try to start that this weekend.

(PXL_20210630_204949615.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
PXL_20210630_204949615.jpg (222KB - 4 downloads)
2021-07-07 10:57 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Oh also more beer info. We drank at all the breweries below. I also had a pretty awesome martini (or 3) at this restaurant called AJ's Steakhouse in Homer, AK, and had a few Alaskan Seltzers

Girdwood Brewing- tried a few beers there but loved their Hippy Speedball (Oatmeal Coffee Stout)
Kenai River Brewing - Breakfast Beer (Milk Stout)
Cooper Landing Brewing - Porcupine Island Porter (this is a new brewery and this one was not very good)

(PXL_20210702_053421466.jpg)

(PXL_20210702_231532065.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
PXL_20210702_053421466.jpg (145KB - 3 downloads)
PXL_20210702_231532065.jpg (18KB - 3 downloads)
2021-07-07 11:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Welcome back, Nicole.  That's a really cool picture of that glacier.  Well, that and the martini.

ETA:  And welcome back to the furnace. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2021-07-07 12:19 PM

2021-07-07 12:04 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Brutal trainer ride for me today in London.  44+ miles with over 3K feet of climbing.  The plan was to attack the 10+ minute climbs at about 95% FTP, recover on the descents and ride top of Z2 on the flats.  Well the first two loops that worked fine, then I cracked a little on the third climb, then cracked a little more on the final one and I really labored to the finish but it's done.

I passed the time watching the real TdF - wow.  No spoilers but they had to climb Mont Ventoux twice (that's the mountain that Chris Froome famously ran up without a bike during the 2016 TdF after a crash).  They have a replica of the route in Zwift which is really realistic towards the top.

2021-07-07 3:29 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Mike I'd love to take the credit, but I'm pretty sure that joke is from the great John Cleese. Good job with your ongoing tour de Zwift.

Nicole Alaska looks like an amazing adventure. Do you have any photos from the jetski to the glacier? that sounds particularly awesome to my mind.

Me Life/parenting has been getting quite in the way this week. This morning for the 3rd day in a row little Miss 6 months woke up and demanded a bottle when I was supposed to be getting ready for my morning run. The last 2 days it was just as I was getting out of bed, today it was when I was putting the lead on the dog before leaving... almost made it out the door this time.

Mrs Bullfrog looks after the midnight feedings as I have to work, and she's not at the moment. But leaving for a run when there's a child crying in her room is a bit different. Long story short, I fed the girl, then got a shorter run than planned, 1/4 of an hour late leaving the house. The previous 2 days I used the 545am feed as an excuse to go back to bed... soft.
2021-07-07 4:03 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Welcome back, Nicole.  That's a really cool picture of that glacier.  Well, that and the martini.

ETA:  And welcome back to the furnace. 

OMG I know, it's so hot here!
2021-07-07 4:04 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by bulfrog

Nicole Alaska looks like an amazing adventure. Do you have any photos from the jetski to the glacier? that sounds particularly awesome to my mind.

Do I ever!!

(210022998_578599490193268_7643272280560912706_n.jpg)

(206487993_528705941605905_5027149192715815510_n.jpg)

(206421056_511995076579749_2440679145810215683_n.jpg)

(207432109_966617834130962_4252724586343780752_n.jpg)

(204676876_513438346665796_3613619691590694141_n.jpg)

(208744462_251654346293436_2031341094194682316_n.jpg)

(207000388_498982761324772_2714288659870645490_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
210022998_578599490193268_7643272280560912706_n.jpg (1093KB - 2 downloads)
206487993_528705941605905_5027149192715815510_n.jpg (1375KB - 2 downloads)
206421056_511995076579749_2440679145810215683_n.jpg (691KB - 2 downloads)
207432109_966617834130962_4252724586343780752_n.jpg (1957KB - 2 downloads)
204676876_513438346665796_3613619691590694141_n.jpg (1022KB - 2 downloads)
208744462_251654346293436_2031341094194682316_n.jpg (640KB - 2 downloads)
207000388_498982761324772_2714288659870645490_n.jpg (939KB - 4 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31