Other Resources 2021 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Show Per page
 
 
of 26
 
 
2021-01-12 5:10 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image


1454
10001001001001002525
Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Had a chiro appointment this morning (he's amazing) and did some lunchtime yoga. Trying to take it easy until I'm through this cleanse so it was perfect (and much needed).


2021-01-12 8:19 PM
in reply to: #5274075


18

Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Bullfrog: I once did a ride where I watched the first two LOTR movies back to back. I was training for an early spring travel race during one of the coldest winters in a while. And that was before zwift??

Me... Today I did an hour in the trainer (I use The Sufferfest to drive it) and another power walk with the dog. He'll be upset when I start running again (he used to join me up to 10 miles) but he's 15 so...

2021-01-13 4:05 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image


813
500100100100
, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Originally posted by nicole14e

hey Nathalie, check out the info at this link https://www.purerawjuice.com/juice-cleanses/.This is the company I am doing the cleanse through (I chose the traditional). So far so good! Almost through day 2 and surprisingly not hungry at all right now. I did have some celery with PB earlier today b/c I needed some protein, but that has really held me over. Also, the cashew mylk is delicious, and really ends the day on a high note.


Thanks, sounds like something I would benefit from but not easy to do, not eating with the family for example. I'll start with the strict pre-cleanse for 5 days (Mon-Fri), and little more relaxed at the weekends (just no alcohol, meat and processed food) it's better than nothing.
2021-01-13 1:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
865
5001001001002525
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Originally posted by cmkujawa

I once did a ride where I watched the first two LOTR movies back to back. I was training for an early spring travel race during one of the coldest winters in a while. And that was before zwift??



That's like 6 hours total? On a trainer? That's impressive... although slightly insane

Edited by bulfrog 2021-01-13 1:32 PM
2021-01-13 1:36 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
865
5001001001002525
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
60 min on the trainer last night, Cruise interval workout. Followed by a 40 minute easy run this morning.

Family stuff got in the way last night and I didn't start my ride till 9pm. A bit later than ideal leading to legs that felt like absolute toast this morning. Still, got it all done.
Hope the rest of you are having a productive week.
2021-01-17 2:50 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
865
5001001001002525
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
4hr 25 min ride, followed by a short brick run on Saturday. Intended 2 hour run cut short at 1:38 because my mate hurt his knee on Sunday. So overall not quite the perfect weekend, but very happy with the weekends work.

Totals for the week.
S: x1, 1000m, 24min
B: x5, 179km, 6hr 55min
R: x4, 25km, 3hr 15 min

This week is a 1 week taper into the Tauranga half Iroman on Saturday. I'm looking forward to having some lighter days.

Hope everyone had a good week.


2021-01-17 6:09 PM
in reply to: #5274075

User image

Member
2016
2000
Southern Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Checking in—not much training for me in the last week. I’m still at my parents house helping take care of my dad. This antibiotic regimen is no joke. He gets about eight hours of meds a day, plus all the time and organizations to get ready and clean everything. Minimum, he’s looking at eight weeks of treatment, and I think I’m going to be here for most, if not all of that time. Coupled with my recent (and still unresolved) stomach issues, I’m just really starting to doubt that I’m going to be able to train and execute a full this year. I’m also not convinced in person races will be going forward in august, given our terrible vaccine rollout progres. I just don’t feel like I have the heart for the training this is going to take. I hate this feeling—it feels like quitting. I don’t know. Anyone have any brilliant insight?
2021-01-17 6:56 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
865
5001001001002525
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Originally posted by drfoodlove
I just don’t feel like I have the heart for the training this is going to take. I hate this feeling—it feels like quitting. I don’t know. Anyone have any brilliant insight?


Sorry to hear that you're having a tough time. Regarding racing in August, flip a coin as to whether or not that happens. From where I sit, the situation changes daily and anyone who claims to know how the world will look 8 months down the track is full of it. You could be racing, or 48 hours out they might cancel it... or anything in between. Even in NZ, the land of no covid, I'm half expecting IMNZ to be cancelled for march. So make sure you enjoy whatever training you do. Plan to race, and if not at least you built some fitness and are healthier than you would have been otherwise.

With all the consistent hours training you have put in over the years I fully believe that if you want it, you can complete a 140.6 in August. Even if you're on minimal training for the full 8 weeks for your dads treatment that's 6 months to ramp it back up. And you have a nice solid base to rebuild from. My monthly hours training for my 2017 Ironman went 2, 6, 11, 16, 30, 37, 42, Race. That's 2 hours a month for where you are now! You would be in a way better position to finish a 140.6 than I was. I very firmly believe that you don't need to be averaging 15 hours a week for 12 months to do an Ironman. Sure, you're not going to qualify for Kona without long term big hours, but finishing is 100% possible.

That said, it is still a lot of hours, and effort. So you have to want it. If your internal motivations isn't there, it will be a struggle. And only you know the answer to that.

My advice, it's too far away to make that call. So for now, put away a rigid training plan and do what you can/what you feel like. As your dad's treatment goes on, it'll become more routine, and opportunities to train will appear (maybe not as much as if life was normal, but something). Even if it's only a few 30min runs for some 'me time'. Once your dad's treatment is over, and you're back to something more like normal life you can re look at where your fitness is, how motivated you are and take it from there.

Good luck.... to you and your dad. 8hr/day for 8 weeks is going to be hard on everyone.
2021-01-18 2:16 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image


813
500100100100
, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Checking in—not much training for me in the last week. I’m still at my parents house helping take care of my dad. This antibiotic regimen is no joke. He gets about eight hours of meds a day, plus all the time and organizations to get ready and clean everything. Minimum, he’s looking at eight weeks of treatment, and I think I’m going to be here for most, if not all of that time. Coupled with my recent (and still unresolved) stomach issues, I’m just really starting to doubt that I’m going to be able to train and execute a full this year. I’m also not convinced in person races will be going forward in august, given our terrible vaccine rollout progres. I just don’t feel like I have the heart for the training this is going to take. I hate this feeling—it feels like quitting. I don’t know. Anyone have any brilliant insight?


I agree with Andrew, with the base you have (or which I think you have), a few weeks ”off” won’t matter much. Take the time to take care of your dad and sort your stomach issues, and train just for fun for a while.

2021-01-18 2:40 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image


813
500100100100
, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Originally posted by bulfrog

4hr 25 min ride, followed by a short brick run on Saturday. Intended 2 hour run cut short at 1:38 because my mate hurt his knee on Sunday. So overall not quite the perfect weekend, but very happy with the weekends work.

Totals for the week.
S: x1, 1000m, 24min
B: x5, 179km, 6hr 55min
R: x4, 25km, 3hr 15 min

This week is a 1 week taper into the Tauranga half Iroman on Saturday. I'm looking forward to having some lighter days.

Hope everyone had a good week.


Nice numbers Andrew

Me:
Swim 0
run 0
Bike 118km / 5 hours or so
2021-01-19 6:47 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
3713
20001000500100100
Middle River, Maryland
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by drfoodlove Checking in—not much training for me in the last week. I’m still at my parents house helping take care of my dad. This antibiotic regimen is no joke. He gets about eight hours of meds a day, plus all the time and organizations to get ready and clean everything. Minimum, he’s looking at eight weeks of treatment, and I think I’m going to be here for most, if not all of that time. Coupled with my recent (and still unresolved) stomach issues, I’m just really starting to doubt that I’m going to be able to train and execute a full this year. I’m also not convinced in person races will be going forward in august, given our terrible vaccine rollout progres. I just don’t feel like I have the heart for the training this is going to take. I hate this feeling—it feels like quitting. I don’t know. Anyone have any brilliant insight?
I agree with Andrew, with the base you have (or which I think you have), a few weeks ”off” won’t matter much. Take the time to take care of your dad and sort your stomach issues, and train just for fun for a while.

Gretchen - I think Andrew nailed it.  Don't worry about it and get training in when you can and make it a source of stress relief.  When a training plan adds to stress, it's time to reassess.  That's happened to me a few times in the past.  Your years of base training will allow to ramp right back up and by now you can probably roll out of bed and do an HIM. 



2021-01-19 6:49 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
3713
20001000500100100
Middle River, Maryland
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open

Back in the cold after three wonderful warm-ish weeks in Florida.  They have a great pool at the one place we stayed the final two weeks and I got in my first 5K yard swim week in what seems like forever (probably like 2019 sometime).  Slow start to year cycling-wise but back at it this week.

2021-01-19 6:59 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
3713
20001000500100100
Middle River, Maryland
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open

And as promised, my bio:

NAME: Mike (jmhpsu93), soon to be 52YO

LOCATION: 10 minutes east of Baltimore, used to live about ten blocks from Nicole, yet never met in person because she hates cycling and I hate swimming

EXPERIENCE: about 15 years into endurance sports with my first half marathon in 2007 as a way to lose the "post becoming a father and not playing sports constantly (soccer, volleyball, softball) on the weekends" 20 pounds I had gained; 5 HMs, about a dozen triathlons and an aquabike (and three surgeries LOL) now slowly transitioning to a full-time cyclist with some occasional forays on the treadmill and pool

FAMILY: Wife and 18YO daughter who was a better swimming than me by the time she was 11, now in college

TRAINING: Base training right now, mostly cycling with maintenance of swimming and jogging, lots of core work to keep my body from falling apart

RACING: Main events are a criterium in May, assuming it happens (huge event), then a fall triathlon or aquabike depending on my run capability

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE: Been here forever - this is the 11th straight year of me being in a mentor group; we all learn from each other and this is a pretty active group with people all over the world

FAVORITE BEER (BONUS SECTION): IPA/APA guy here; some favorites are Ballast Point Sculpin and Bear Republic Racer 5, now trying out the IPA light beers like Dogfish Head Slighty Mighty IPA

2021-01-19 1:27 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
865
5001001001002525
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Mike Welcome back to real life from your vacation.

Nathalie Solid week on the bike, good job.

Me A mini, 5 day taper for me, leading into the 70.3 on the weekend. 2 x 30min zwift rides (1 Intervals, 1 easy) and a 30min run before work today to start the week for me.

Have a good week team.
2021-01-19 1:59 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image


1454
10001001001001002525
Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by nicole14e

hey Nathalie, check out the info at this link https://www.purerawjuice.com/juice-cleanses/.This is the company I am doing the cleanse through (I chose the traditional). So far so good! Almost through day 2 and surprisingly not hungry at all right now. I did have some celery with PB earlier today b/c I needed some protein, but that has really held me over. Also, the cashew mylk is delicious, and really ends the day on a high note.


Thanks, sounds like something I would benefit from but not easy to do, not eating with the family for example. I'll start with the strict pre-cleanse for 5 days (Mon-Fri), and little more relaxed at the weekends (just no alcohol, meat and processed food) it's better than nothing.



Sounds like the perfect plan! A juice cleanse is definitely not for everyone. I am typically more of the "lean, clean and green" mind rather than the avoiding certain foods, but I love this juice place and was curious to see how it would make me feel.
I think your plan is ideal, and please keep us posted on how it goes!
2021-01-19 2:01 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image


1454
10001001001001002525
Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

And as promised, my bio:

NAME: Mike (jmhpsu93), soon to be 52YO

LOCATION: 10 minutes east of Baltimore, used to live about ten blocks from Nicole, yet never met in person because she hates cycling and I hate swimming




This made me lol. So accurate. I would bike with you, but I'm sure I'd slow you down!


2021-01-19 2:04 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image


1454
10001001001001002525
Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Gretchen, I agree with those above. It's far enough away that you can just do what you can, and try to find the joy in what you are able to do. So sorry to hear about your dad, and your stomach issues.


I did some training classes at my gym Friday and Saturday. I ran last Thursday, and went on a hike Sunday. Just got done doing some yoga, although I regret not running today. So far keeping consistent. I didn't eat super well this weekend though, so thankful to have my weekday routine back to get me back in a groove.
2021-01-20 7:38 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image


1454
10001001001001002525
Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Just got done with a workout at my gym and I am DEAD.
2021-01-20 1:19 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
3713
20001000500100100
Middle River, Maryland
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open

Originally posted by nicole14e Just got done with a workout at my gym and I am DEAD.

Nice!

2021-01-20 1:25 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
865
5001001001002525
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Wore my Tri shorts and top this morning for the first time in 4 years.

30min ride followed by a short brick run, to test everything out before 70.3 on Saturday.

Only thing is... someone seems to have taken some stitching out of the top... it's a little tighter than I remember.
2021-01-20 2:15 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image


813
500100100100
, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Originally posted by bulfrog

Wore my Tri shorts and top this morning for the first time in 4 years.

30min ride followed by a short brick run, to test everything out before 70.3 on Saturday.

Only thing is... someone seems to have taken some stitching out of the top... it's a little tighter than I remember.



Stiching thieves, don’t you hate them....?

So jealous of you racing on Saturday! You’ll crush it!


2021-01-20 2:18 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image


813
500100100100
, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Originally posted by nicole14e


Sounds like the perfect plan! A juice cleanse is definitely not for everyone. I am typically more of the "lean, clean and green" mind rather than the avoiding certain foods, but I love this juice place and was curious to see how it would make me feel.
I think your plan is ideal, and please keep us posted on how it goes


Will do.. when I get round to it....
How are you getting on? Are you done? Do you feel the benefits?
2021-01-20 8:00 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image


1454
10001001001001002525
Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by nicole14e


Sounds like the perfect plan! A juice cleanse is definitely not for everyone. I am typically more of the "lean, clean and green" mind rather than the avoiding certain foods, but I love this juice place and was curious to see how it would make me feel.
I think your plan is ideal, and please keep us posted on how it goes


Will do.. when I get round to it....
How are you getting on? Are you done? Do you feel the benefits?


Oh yeah, all done! It was only for 3 days. I felt AMAZING afterwards. My skin was (and still is) really great. I felt like I looked younger than I have in awhile (that might be partially that I've been losing weight too). I didn't eat super great over the weekend, but eating clean this week now.
I think I realized why it's hard for me to eat well during the weekend. It makes me feel like I'm at work. I'm gonna need to find a way to eat well but not make it feel mundane. Any recs from anyone would be amazing.
2021-01-20 8:33 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
865
5001001001002525
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Originally posted by Rollergirl

So jealous of you racing on Saturday! You’ll crush it!



Thanks, I'm looking forward to it.

Time for some public accountability and predictions/goal setting.

Last time out, in 2017 I did the race in 7hr 13 minutes. This time round, through covid, work, and new babies, my swim has been seriously lacking the last 2 months, so is going to be slower. Thanks to my new found love of indoor cycling, I'm biking much better than I was, so should get a decent gain there. As for running, my volume is been up, but the paces are slower... so I'm not too sure how that will go. Hopefully moderately slowly without the wheels falling off.

If I have a perfect day, I think I could get around 6 1/2 hours, which would be a PB for the 70.3 distance. If I have a not so perfect day, I could be up over 7 1/2 - 8 hours... In which case I'll probably be withdrawing from the full Ironman in March.

Predictions:
Swim, 40-45 minutes
Bike, 3:00-3:30
Run... who knows, 2:45-3:30

We're travelling tomorrow, so will be offline. For those who want to race vicariously through me, follow along here: https://mountfestival.kiwi/events/tauranga-half/Saturday morning NZ time.

Have a good weekend guys
2021-01-21 7:14 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
3713
20001000500100100
Middle River, Maryland
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by Rollergirl So jealous of you racing on Saturday! You’ll crush it!
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. Time for some public accountability and predictions/goal setting. Last time out, in 2017 I did the race in 7hr 13 minutes. This time round, through covid, work, and new babies, my swim has been seriously lacking the last 2 months, so is going to be slower. Thanks to my new found love of indoor cycling, I'm biking much better than I was, so should get a decent gain there. As for running, my volume is been up, but the paces are slower... so I'm not too sure how that will go. Hopefully moderately slowly without the wheels falling off. If I have a perfect day, I think I could get around 6 1/2 hours, which would be a PB for the 70.3 distance. If I have a not so perfect day, I could be up over 7 1/2 - 8 hours... In which case I'll probably be withdrawing from the full Ironman in March. Predictions: Swim, 40-45 minutes Bike, 3:00-3:30 Run... who knows, 2:45-3:30 We're travelling tomorrow, so will be offline. For those who want to race vicariously through me, follow along here: https://mountfestival.kiwi/events/tauranga-half/Saturday morning NZ time. Have a good weekend guys

Good luck this weekend, Andrew.   I think you'll do better than expected. 

New Thread
Other Resources 2021 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Show Per page
 
 
of 26