BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-01-31 4:08 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open

Hey everyone! Been a tough couple of weeks for me as I was dealing with the loss of someone who meant a lot to me. Training was hit or miss...a fair mix of both. Didn't do anything today but a nice long soak in mineral salt rich bath today to try and speed up recovery after a long hard Sufferfest session yesterday.

I am however excited that I received the latest edition of the Triathlete's Training Bible in the mail today...a bit different that my original (circa 2002) copy . Digging in, filling in details of this year's training plan, and getting exciting to crush a race that I've long wanted to do!

2021-02-01 6:36 AM
in reply to: cmkujawa

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by cmkujawa

Hey everyone! Been a tough couple of weeks for me as I was dealing with the loss of someone who meant a lot to me. Training was hit or miss...a fair mix of both. Didn't do anything today but a nice long soak in mineral salt rich bath today to try and speed up recovery after a long hard Sufferfest session yesterday.

I am however excited that I received the latest edition of the Triathlete's Training Bible in the mail today...a bit different that my original (circa 2002) copy . Digging in, filling in details of this year's training plan, and getting exciting to crush a race that I've long wanted to do!

Sorry for your loss, Chris.  Bummer.

As for TTB, great read.  I have that one and the cyclist version, plus his "Fast Over 50" book he put out a couple of years ago.  Some of the physiology can be a heavy read but I enjoy knowing the "why". 

Enjoy the snow we're sending your way.  About 4 inches then a sheet of ice here.

2021-02-01 6:40 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

A pretty good January for me, almost 13K yards swimming, 150 miles biking and lots of strength and core work.  Not bad on the biking front considering I didn't have my bike for half the month.  I'm a little behind where I wanted to be but still OK.  Weight is its usual wintery high. 

I have a really solid month planned then we're headed back down south to Florida for a month, and I'm bringing my bike.

Speaking of bike travel, so any of you have recommendations on a trailer hitch rack?

2021-02-01 7:33 AM

Hey Mike!

I'll take the snow (love it since I love Nordic skiing) but the ice? Not so much...but maybe it will stay cold enough for all snow (we live just far enough inland so you never know what will happen)

I do also have Fast Over 50--just barely into that (chapter 3?) but need to get through a read of TTB so I can fill out my ATP. I find the change interesting between this and the first edition (I used THAT so much it fell apart). I don't recall a section on mental toughness in the first edition--especially as chapter one (though I can attest to the fact that it's probably as important if not more so than physical training--it's the ONLY reason I finished my last IM!).

2021-02-02 1:26 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Sorry for your loss

2021-02-02 6:35 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Sorry for your loss.

But looking forward to seeing you crush that race... what race is it?

2021-02-02 6:40 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I've been away the last few days for work. But have managed a 2 hour ride, and a couple of runs to start the week.

January was a good month for me, my biggest month ever of SBR.

Swim: 1hr 24min, 4,260m
Bike: 27hr 43min, 703km
Run: 14hr 14min, 109km

A total of just under 44 hours for the month, beating my previous best of 42.5 hours from the month before my first Ironman. Looking forward to 3 big weeks before starting my taper in the last week of February.

Hope everyone is doing well.
2021-02-03 7:36 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

So sorry for your loss!
2021-02-03 7:39 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Been a bit off the grid the last week or so. I've been consistent with my gym workouts. Haven't been able to get many runs in. The chiro has been working on my shoulder and hip too, so they're feeling pretty good (just nagging pains).

Also down about 9 lbs since new years day! So that is exciting. Feeling good and doing really well with tracking, which has been my main tool in keeping on track.
2021-02-04 1:24 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

Been a bit off the grid the last week or so. I've been consistent with my gym workouts. Haven't been able to get many runs in. The chiro has been working on my shoulder and hip too, so they're feeling pretty good (just nagging pains).

Also down about 9 lbs since new years day! So that is exciting. Feeling good and doing really well with tracking, which has been my main tool in keeping on track.

Great Nicole! How much do you want to lose? I’ve lost about 1 lbs in 2 weeks which is very slow but then again, I ”only” have only 9 to 10lbs to lose. I am not in a hurry.

2021-02-04 1:32 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

, Kronobergs lan
In other news, we’re having a proper Swedish winter for the first time in years so instead of spending all my training time indoors on the trainer (I only do a quick half hours after work), I am out ice skating on the lake, cross country skiing (calf permitting...) and on Sunday, I am taking my 16 year old to a small ski resort a couple of hours drive from here for an afternoon of trying not to break anything. FUN!

Heavy snow falls 2 weeks ago and -10 C on average since then, often sunny. perfect winter weather! Hadn’t had that for about 10 years. Hope it lasts at least a couple of weeks more.

2021-02-05 11:02 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Great Nicole! How much do you want to lose? I’ve lost about 1 lbs in 2 weeks which is very slow but then again, I ”only” have only 9 to 10lbs to lose. I am not in a hurry.

Ultimately I'd like to lose another 11-12 or so (I was up to 173, but as of this morning am down to 161-162). I'd like to get down around 150. In college I weighed 140 but I don't think it's really necessary to get back down to that weight. It's funny...my college coach told me I needed to lose weight when I was at 140 (I'm 5'8" and muscular, so was really very healthy at the time). Pressure from coaches can really do a number on a college girl. I think every school should have nutritionists for their athletes to make sure they're fueling right and eating enough. We had so many girls with eating disorders on my team. Sorry, bit of a tangent. It's just really horrible looking back 20-30 lbs ago and realizing I thought I was fat when I was in the best shape of my life.
2021-02-05 11:03 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

In other news, we’re having a proper Swedish winter for the first time in years so instead of spending all my training time indoors on the trainer (I only do a quick half hours after work), I am out ice skating on the lake, cross country skiing (calf permitting...) and on Sunday, I am taking my 16 year old to a small ski resort a couple of hours drive from here for an afternoon of trying not to break anything. FUN!

Heavy snow falls 2 weeks ago and -10 C on average since then, often sunny. perfect winter weather! Hadn’t had that for about 10 years. Hope it lasts at least a couple of weeks more.

That sounds absolutely amazing (other than the -10C part! Man that's cold!). We did get some snow for the first time in awhile here last weekend. Only a few inches here in the city, but I enjoyed it a lot!
2021-02-05 11:10 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gym workout this morning. Feeling really good, although I REALLY need to get some yoga in. My hamstrings are TIGHT!
2021-02-08 1:25 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Had a blast downhill skiing yesterday with my son (aka the teenager, aka, Grumpy McGrumpface).

Perfect weather, not too many people (they’re limiting the numbers because of Covid, it’s a very small resort which can get really crowded normally).
Most importantly I stuck to the plan, didn’t take any risks and didn’t hurt myself.

Day off today and back on the trainer tomorrow

Have a great week!
2021-02-08 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Had a blast downhill skiing yesterday with my son (aka the teenager, aka, Grumpy McGrumpface). Perfect weather, not too many people (they’re limiting the numbers because of Covid, it’s a very small resort which can get really crowded normally). Most importantly I stuck to the plan, didn’t take any risks and didn’t hurt myself. Day off today and back on the trainer tomorrow Have a great week!

That pretty much describes how I ski, if you add "or anyone else" at the end of that sentence.

Winter has settled in here too, A new storm every few days dumping the usual mix of every type of precipitation.  Got in a good week on the bike but not much else.

2021-02-08 3:33 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in a workout this morning. Didn't do yoga this weekend so am gonna try to get that in tomorrow morning. This is also the last week of my weight loss competition (and as of last week, I am in first place!). Final push! I didn't eat super great this weekend, and drank quite a bit, so am going back to being dry for this week.

I did have a delicious porter last night from a local brewery called Black Flag Brewing. It was Neopolitan (chocolate, vanilla and strawberry). Very tasty.
2021-02-08 6:32 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Nathalie and Nicole Congratulations on the weightloss. 9lbs or 1lb... its all a step closer to your goals so something to be celebrated.

Last week was a bit of a struggle, battling fatuige and the first of 3 'Big weeks' pre ironman.

My long run was a particular challenge, Just didn't have it, I ended up only doing 90 minutes rather than the 2-2:15 I had planned. The long bike the next day was also a struggle. The legs were still feeling it from the previous day, and I've had a bike fit and shifted to an ism saddle over the last few weeks... 100+km is a long way on a relatively new saddle. (overall tho I think the new saddle is a good switch, just need to let the sit bones get more used to it)

For the week:

Swim: 0. Was away for work half the week and didn't get an opportunity.
Bike: x 4, 176km, 7hr 4min
Run: x 4, 24km, 3hr 11min

Total of 10 1/4 hours. Less than planned, but still a solidish week.

Looking forward to another big week, where I really need to get to the pool a couple of times. All going to plan should be 12-13 hours total for the week.
2021-02-09 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Nice work, Andrew.  Yeah, you'll have some crap days during the big weeks.  No worries, just really manage your recovery.

I have an Adamo saddle.  I didn't really like it for a road bike but down in aero on a TT/tri bike it's much better.  Definitely takes some getting used to not having the nose as a stability anchor...tilting the saddle 5-8* forward helped me with that.

2021-02-11 6:46 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So far for the week, I've had a day off Monday. A 60 min run Tuesday morning. 60 min on the trainer Tues/Wed/Thurs evenings. 30 minute swim (finally!) lunch break on Friday. I'm having tonight off, to give the legs a break before the penultimate big weekend. Long run Saturday, and long ride, followed by brick run Sunday.

Workouts have been ok, without being brilliant this week. But definitely better than last weekend. Rather than multiple short loops, I'm going to do a longer out and back route for my long run tomorrow... less opportunity to be soft and cut it short that way. Even if it sucks, at least I'll get it done.

21 days to go. Only 2 more big weekends, then into taper... Man that's scary close.

Have a good weekend everyone.
2021-02-12 10:24 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by bulfrog

21 days to go. Only 2 more big weekends, then into taper... Man that's scary close.

Have a good weekend everyone.

You got this!!!!! Keep pushing!

2021-02-12 10:31 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Happy Friday, everyone!

Went to the gym this morning, which I think helped me battle the pending hangover from my axe league the night before.

Also! I think I'm signing up for a Ragnar (https://www.runragnar.com/event-detail/trail/appalachians_wv#overview). It's a trail one and each person only runs 14.6 miles over 2 days, which seems very doable (and no stuffing ourselves into a van b/c each trail starts and ends at the campsite). It's in August, so plenty of time to train. He's going to put together a competitive team, so I think it will help keep me motivated to train since people will be relying on me to be fast.

Have a great weekend!
2021-02-12 3:00 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Happy Friday, everyone!

Went to the gym this morning, which I think helped me battle the pending hangover from my axe league the night before.

Also! I think I'm signing up for a Ragnar (https://www.runragnar.com/event-detail/trail/appalachians_wv#overview). It's a trail one and each person only runs 14.6 miles over 2 days, which seems very doable (and no stuffing ourselves into a van b/c each trail starts and ends at the campsite). It's in August, so plenty of time to train. He's going to put together a competitive team, so I think it will help keep me motivated to train since people will be relying on me to be fast.

Have a great weekend!

Great way to get motivated!
2021-02-14 8:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Finished off the week with a good long run on Saturday. Sunday I split my long ride in 2, an hour on the trainer pre sunrise, followed with 3ish hours out on the road for 4 hours 10 total. Followed with a 20 minute brick run. Pretty happy with my weekends effort.

Totals for the week:
Swim, x1, 31min, 1,300m
Bike, x4, 7hr 13min, 182km
Run x3, 3hr 31 min, 26.2km

11hrs 15 min for the week

Unfortunately it may have just all gone to poo.

On Sunday night the government announced that it has found 3 unexplained covid cases (nothing to you I know, but in the land of no covid a big deal) and we are now into a level 3 lock down for 3 days. The last time we were in a level 3 lock down for 3 days it lasted 2 months before back to normal. And it needs to be back to normal for Ironman to go ahead (currently 18 days away) even at our 'level 2' events are restricted to 100 people, so no Ironman then.

Obviously I just need to keep training and wait it out, until its officially over it's happening... and there are still almost 3 weeks to go, things could be relaxed again. But we have had a few community cases of the covid over the last few months, without any lockdowns. So the fact we have jumped into level 3 so fast has me very concerned... Not of the disease, but for my Ironman chances. I had also been banking on hitting the pool pretty hard over the next 2 weeks, which obviously isn't happening with lockdowns. So even if things are relaxed in time for march I'm going to be going in quite under done with the swim.

Currently freaking out down here.

Edited by bulfrog 2021-02-14 8:03 PM
2021-02-15 12:48 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Sorry to read this Andrew! Hope the lockdown is short and the race takes place! After all your training....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31