General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plasma donations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2021-01-07 3:18 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: Plasma donations?
I've been a regular blood donor for quite a while now. They even gave me a special card after my 100th donation. However, the local blood donor clinic has just been switched over to become a plasma donation site. I'll probably try it but was wondering if anyone has any information about the effect of plasma donations on tri training or performance?

2021-01-08 12:59 PM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Plasma donations?

No but would be curious to hear what people have to say! Also thank you for doing this! 

2021-01-11 9:49 AM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Denver, Colorado
Maybe this article will help?

https://www.livestrong.com/article/406300-does-donating-plasma-affec...

It states:
"Exercise Considerations
If you're a healthy athlete, you should be able to recover fully after plasma donations within eight weeks, although you may lose some of your ability to train over the next few days due to low energy levels. Donating plasma can also reduce competitive performance for up to four weeks, depending upon whether you also donate red blood cells, because it takes that long for blood hemoglobin levels to return to normal. About 12 percent of donors develop lowered levels of antibodies, which may make you more prone to getting an infection."
2021-01-11 12:08 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Originally posted by marysia83

Maybe this article will help?

https://www.livestrong.com/article/406300-does-donating-plasma-affec...

It states:
"Exercise Considerations
If you're a healthy athlete, you should be able to recover fully after plasma donations within eight weeks, although you may lose some of your ability to train over the next few days due to low energy levels. Donating plasma can also reduce competitive performance for up to four weeks, depending upon whether you also donate red blood cells, because it takes that long for blood hemoglobin levels to return to normal. About 12 percent of donors develop lowered levels of antibodies, which may make you more prone to getting an infection."

Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Thank you!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plasma donations? Rss Feed