General Discussion Race Reports! » Steelman Racing Nockamixon Swim Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Steelman Racing Nockamixon Swim Challenge - Swim

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Nockamixon, Pennsylvania
United States
Steelman Racing
73F / 23C
Total Time = 1h 17m 49s
Overall Rank = 70/90
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 16/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 am for a ~5 am departure. Ate some yogurt, blueberries and granola for breakfast. The GPS took us some weird way but we got there. Along the way was a host of 'suicidal' animals: a bunny that didn't want to move out of the road, a deer preparing to cross a busy highway mere feet from my lane, crows, and a family of turkeys that were fortunate I and the car coming toward me in the other lane were paying attention. There were 2 adults and at least 2 babies just strolling across the road.

Went to packet pick-up then met up with fellow racing friends. Spectators were allowed at this event so it was a nice feel, like a real race in 'olden times', LOL. We brought my bag and a chair to their area and hung out until race start.

I drank a Nuun before workout drink, ate part of a Honey Stinger cracker bar, and drank a Hot Shot (so icky but helpful) to prevent cramps in my legs/feet which sometime happen in long swims.
Event warmup:

Headed to the bag-drop area to self-seed for the start, they were continuing with the time-trial start 10 seconds apart which I really like, it keeps people spaced out in the water and generally less contact. In bag-drop I seeded myself near another acquaintance and chatted with him and his friend a little and with the women near me. It was then I realized I hadn't put my number on my hand - oh well, too late now!

Swung my arms around in circles, did some light stretching to be ready to go when I hit the water.
Swim
  • 1h 17m 49s
  • 3218 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

Race was broken up by 3 mile wetsuit, 3 mile non-wetsuit, 2 mile wetsuit, 2 mile non-wetsuit, and 1 mile lumped together but the choice was still given for wetsuit or not but not awarded separately.

I went with dark vermillion (red) mirrored ROKA goggles, no wetsuit. Air temp and water temp both 73 at the start, overcast with a strong breeze which created chop. Not quite whitecaps, at least on the regular. The swim started out overcast but eventually the sun came out through the clouds. Great weather!

My mantra for the race was long, strong, fast, smooth - keep good form. I felt very ready physically and mentally coming into this race, I had been building some good mileage in the pool and I wanted to have a successful race to back up my preparation.

I definitely nailed sighting. My tactic was to head directly at each buoy and it worked, I don't recall feeling like I strayed off course. It was tricky with the wind and chop. At times the incessant waves were annoying but much of the time I was able to block them out and keep pushing onward.

Lack of contact was great. At one point I touched someone's feet and later someone touched mine but that was it! It was wonderful!

Fave moment: looking up and seeing a flying cormorant.

Lap 1 went great and most of lap 2 did, too. According to someone's Strava creation of the course, I was about 3.5 minutes slower on lap 2. I still felt strong heading into the lap. Something weird happened at the corner of the first leg: there was a guy in a kayak yelling for everyone to turn. I was a little concerned because I didn't see the yellow buoy, not exactly sure what happened to it. At any rate, I turned as did everyone else nearby. I did hear him say something about a buoy but I wasn't about to stop and get the full story.

The short side of the triangle was the best leg, the wind and chop were behind us pushing! Ah, relief of sorts from the waves. Oh, I unintentionally drank SO much of the lake, largely because of chop breaking when I was breathing. Starting the final stretch my shoulder was starting to let me know it was unhappy. Oh well, deal with it!

I was a bit confused as I neared the end of the course, I should've cut harder toward the finish but I was trying to work out if we had to go around any other buoys. No, just head to the arch. I gave it a kick to stay ahead of a couple of racers in my vicinity. Made it up the ramp surprisingly well, crossed the timing mat and stopped to get my chip removed and to turn in the number in my cap.
What would you do differently?:

Take a more direct route to the finishing area/arch instead of swimming a bit wide like I did, otherwise I'm pretty happy. Maybe swim a bit faster?
Post race
Warm down:

I felt lightheaded and a bit off in general so I leaned on the fence for a few beats. Since I wasn't feeling the greatest I didn't grab much of the food offerings (big mistake, they have some nice goodies) and only took Oreos. I did manage to remember to pick up my pint glass which all racers got.

On my way to see EFP, I ran into some of the crew from the masters group so I talked to them very briefly, I wanted to sit down, I still wasn't feeling quite right. Finally got to my chair and towel and it was nice to sit down! Drank my post-workout Nuun drink, chatted with my friends and watched other racers finishing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being sure of the route to take at the end of the race but that's it.

Event comments:

RD did a great job again of pre-race and race day communications. Everything was organized and ran smoothly, I felt. There apparently was some sort of timing snafu with some of the racers because the results changed from race day to the next day.

Last updated: 2021-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:49 | 3218 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/23
Overall: 70/90
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR diamondfit
Course: 1 mile triangle, two laps for my race.
Start type: Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2021-06-28 1:38 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Steelman Racing Nockamixon Swim Challenge

2021-06-28 1:48 PM
in reply to: #5276845

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Steelman Racing Nockamixon Swim Challenge

Nice job! It sounds like a fun time -- no contact to speak of in the water, seeing the masters crew afterward.  Good stuff!

2021-06-28 6:54 PM
in reply to: #5276845

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations on a very successful swim! I've told you before, but I'll say it again, I am always impressed with your swimming!!

2021-06-29 1:56 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by amd723

Congratulations on a very successful swim! I've told you before, but I'll say it again, I am always impressed with your swimming!!

Ha!  Just like you always impress me with your running!

2021-06-30 5:49 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Nice work, Melanie! You doing any of the Kinetic races this year?
2021-06-30 11:05 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 Nice work, Melanie! You doing any of the Kinetic races this year?
I was thinking about Lum's Pond.  Are you signed up for any?

2021-06-30 12:29 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 Nice work, Melanie! You doing any of the Kinetic races this year?
I was thinking about Lum's Pond.  Are you signed up for any?

Also debating Lum's but I prefer wetsuit-legal swims and they're not doing Diamondman this year.  I'm signed up for Giant Acorn down at Lake Anna, VA as an Oly aquabike.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Steelman Racing Nockamixon Swim Challenge Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Steelman Racing Open Water Classic

Started by melbo55
Views: 681 Posts: 4

2021-05-18 8:36 AM alltom1