BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-05-27 3:10 PM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Hey all! I felt guilty about reading about cobwebs. Haha. I have been keeping up with everyone but just haven’t been doing much to contribute to the banter. I had covid back in January and did my usual thing of taking a few weeks off after and easing back into anything. Well, then we started a kitchen project - planning and ordering in February then emptying three/four rooms in the house to have the wood floors refinished and whatnot, so every time I was home all I did was pack and clean. Thankfully the kitchen project has wrapped up as of last weekend so when I get back from this trip I’ve been on I can finish cleaning and putting stuff away. I broke my number one rule of taking a piece of time at least a few days a week for myself to exercise. I am starting from square one and am really trying to not think about the fact that last September I did an Ironman and today I’m lucky if I can run 3 miles. Ack! It’s time to get the bike outside.

2022-05-27 3:17 PM
in reply to: #5281241

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Mike, congrats on the race! I’m trying to pull up the report but my phone won’t do it so I’ll check my computer when I get home. What a nightmare of technical issues you’ve been having! Geesh!

FitNat, way to go - how was the race???

Nicole, impressive you were able to race so soon after being sick! I’d agree with taking the tri off though, especially if you know it won’t “feed” you.

Andrew, I’m so sorry to hear about all of the sickness going through your house. I hope everyone starts feeling better soon. With everything and everybody locked up for so long our immune systems haven’t had to work as much and now they’re getting inundated with the usually bugs but not as ready for battle. We haven’t gone with a treadmill yet either but hoping to before next winter kicks in.
2022-05-29 5:42 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well, I managed 5 zwift rides during the week and my first run in 2 weeks on Sunday. Just under 4 hour of SBR (minus the S) for the week. Which is the most in the last 8 or 9 weeks. So Fit BF kinda won? The bad part is today I weighed in at my highest weight of the year. A number I am quite embarrassed about. Need to get my rear in gear.

Jen Nice to see you back on board. Home renovations and SBR training don't go together very well do they. Although both can be very satisfying. Enjoy the flash new kitchen I have exactly the same feeling about doing and Ironman, and now look at where I am. Only difference being mine was March not September, so I've had longer to fall.

Mike I will keep pushing for that treadmill. We used to have one (before kids when we had a spare room) and it was used a lot. In the mean time I just need to work on getting up and braving the dark and cold streets.

Nathalie Hope you enjoyed the wedding over the weekend.
2022-05-31 4:35 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yes, that's definitely a win for Fit BF.

Managed a little run before the wedding on Saturday and a ride (+1km brick) and a swim on Sunday so Fit Nat wins again.

First tri of the year in D-6. Looking forward to it. Expecting to feel like I am coming down with a cold any day now.

The swim is in a river. Never swam in a river before, I hope it's downstream... It will be colder than my lake I suppose. Not sure what to make of that.

2022-05-31 5:39 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Don't you hate it when kitchens (or anything) comes in the way of training. Must be nice to have a new kitchen though, now that it's done.

It won't be long before you gain some fitness back once you start training again.

2022-06-01 10:51 PM
in reply to: #5281242

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well the fun in the bullfrog household continues. All 4 of us have tested positive for the rona so are on day 1/0 of our 7 day isolation period.

Mrs BF and I are both very blocked up, headaches and tired. But nothing earth shattering. Would be 50:50 if I took a sick day in normal times. The kids, despite Miss 1 being the source seem to have no noticeable symptoms. So all ok.

It's going to be a long arse 7 days...

2022-06-02 12:57 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
So sorry to hear that BF. Hope you get better soon.
2022-06-04 2:20 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Well the fun in the bullfrog household continues. All 4 of us have tested positive for the rona so are on day 1/0 of our 7 day isolation period. Mrs BF and I are both very blocked up, headaches and tired. But nothing earth shattering. Would be 50:50 if I took a sick day in normal times. The kids, despite Miss 1 being the source seem to have no noticeable symptoms. So all ok. It's going to be a long arse 7 days...

Hey, hope you and your family are OK.  I'm like you, probably would have never called in sick in normal times but here we are.  Glad your kids are OK - funny how this thing more or less leaves them alone when so many other bugs get them an not use adults.

2022-06-05 6:35 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
D-1, leaving in an hour. 3 hours drive, pick up my start kit, check out the course, jog the bike to get the legs going after taper week (it’s 4 x 5k). Dinner and bed.
Start at 8:35 tomorrow. (CET)

We are 7 women in my age group so if one is sick, one injured before today, one gets a puncture on the bike and one twists her ankle on the run, I’ll get on the podium

I need to channel my inner Steven Bradbury…

After the race, back to the hotel for a shower and then back to the venue to watch the pros race in the Swedish (and Nordic) championship.
It will be a fun day!

2022-06-05 7:23 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl D-1, leaving in an hour. 3 hours drive, pick up my start kit, check out the course, jog the bike to get the legs going after taper week (it’s 4 x 5k). Dinner and bed. Start at 8:35 tomorrow. (CET) We are 7 women in my age group so if one is sick, one injured before today, one gets a puncture on the bike and one twists her ankle on the run, I’ll get on the podium I need to channel my inner Steven Bradbury… After the race, back to the hotel for a shower and then back to the venue to watch the pros race in the Swedish (and Nordic) championship. It will be a fun day!

Rock it, Fit Nat!!!

2022-06-06 2:29 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Well, only one in my AG was sick and didn’t turn up so I had 3 to beat to get on the podium. It didn’t happen and I finished 6th and last BUT!

I am VERY Happy with my time of 1:23:02 (as my goal was 1h27).

Race report coming up soon

2022-06-07 3:40 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Next year I want to be on the podium in my age group. I need to find 5 to 10 minutes for that.

Maybe I need to grow some willpower to start with and learn to push more. My friend said I didn't look tired, and it's true.

2022-06-07 7:53 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone!

Nat - Way to go on your tri!!! Can't wait to see your race report! I support the podium finish goal for next year and know you can make it happen, especially if you weren't tired at the end.

Jenn - Welcome back! I totally get starting from scratch. That's how I have felt lately and it definitely makes starting really intimidating. Congrats on the new kitchen though!

BF - So sorry to hear you guys have COVID! I think you are towards the end of your isolation so hopefully feel some relief from all the sickness soon. You guys are going to have immune systems of steel soon!

Mike - How's your strength and core work going? That is another goal of mine, to get more of that happening.
2022-06-07 8:53 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I haven't been doing much SBR lately (probably b/c of all the ball playing!), although I feel like I am out of the very deep rut I was in.

Work has been super stressful and overwhelming. I was still waking up early but would immediately start thinking of all the things I needed to do and would just start working. I wasn't taking much time for myself. I also had signed up for that tri which would have been this past Sunday. I deferred, and I think that was the best decision possible for me. My friend also deferred, but still really wants to do her first tri this year.

For some reason with the deferred tri hanging over me, it actually made me feel extra unmotivated. Now that that is past, I'm feeling rejuvenated. My friend and I are going to do the Baltimore Triathlon in October (sprint tri that I do most years), and have made an accountability plan. Each Sunday evening we will text about our plans for the week. My current plan for this week is below, and I have done my Monday and Tuesday activities already! Also did a 10 minute eagle pose yoga class today to keep trying to loosen up my neck/shoulder. I feel really good and have been really productive after my workouts as well! And plan on adding some core and strength to these workouts

M - 20 min run (ended up doing a run/walk b/c I have having some neck/shoulder pain)
T - 20 min bike
W - 20-30 min run
Th - 20-30 min bike or bike boot camp
F - 20-30 min run
Sa - Swim!
Su - wild card
2022-06-07 9:25 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Nice work, Nat.  Can't wait to read the RR.  I bet you have some low-hanging fruit to tweak on your racing, and maybe you're right that you aren't good at getting into the pain cave and staying there.  Sprints should hurt.  Racing well is really an art and we don't do it enough to really master the little things, too.

@Nicole - setting up a schedule is huge for me.  I plan out my calendar about a month in advance in Training Peaks, managing how much work I want to do in all the disciplines so I can manage improving vs. killing myself, which at 53 YO is always a trade-off.  And while your sports don't directly translate to SBR they have a training cost and benefit nonetheless.  If you have a HRM you might want to use it during those sessions to see how much cardio work you're getting in .  Strength and core work for me is going well...I mauled my abs this morning with some weighted long-arm crunches so that'll hurt tomorrow. 

Running is going well for me - best in years.  I got in a little fartlek speed work this morning to get my interval process started.  Hoping to get in one day of intervals, one short easy run and one longer run, 8-10 miles total and be able to hold that through the summer.  I gotta be careful as I've only run 350 miles in the past five years and I don't want to repeat my end of 2014 disaster where I pushed my running volume WAY too far.

2022-06-07 9:47 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

2022-06-08 2:32 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Sounds like you are back on track Nicole, that's great.Tough to get motivated if you don't have a race planned. I find this too. I have one OW swim this Saturday (1850 m) and then nothing until end of July so I am taking a couple of days off SBR (rest yesterday and golf today instead of run intervals). Back on track tomorrow though as the race is still fresh in my mind and I want to get ready for the next one.

Well done on the running Mike, you are right to take it slow, at our age it's much easier to get hurt if we're not careful.

Not sure where my low hanging fruit are to be honest, maybe if I improve my swim technique I can gain a few seconds there. I think the biggest obstacle is the mental part. I am well aware that I didn't give it100% at the weekend (more like 90-95% I'd say).

How do I get there?
2022-06-08 1:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Not sure where my low hanging fruit are to be honest, maybe if I improve my swim technique I can gain a few seconds there. I think the biggest obstacle is the mental part. I am well aware that I didn't give it100% at the weekend (more like 90-95% I'd say). How do I get there?

After reading your RR and your world-leading transitions, you might be right on the low-hanging fruit.  How about equipment and bike fit?  Aero helmet?  At this point those get to be expensive seconds saved. 

You could experiment with your run pacing.  Most of us try to negative split our run efforts, but maybe try going out hard and fading, then pushing through that hell to the finish.  Again - sprints should hurt. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2022-06-08 1:12 PM
2022-06-08 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Strength and core work for me is going well...I mauled my abs this morning with some weighted long-arm crunches so that'll hurt tomorrow.

My prediction was quite accurate on that front, so my 2200 yard swim this morning was sssslllloooowwww.  Felt better afterwards then had to have some dental work done - I should get some stress points for that for sure. 

2022-06-08 5:37 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

We are out of isolation and back to the real world again.

Covid didn't hit any of us particularly badly. Like I said before we all had symptoms, but nothing too bad, probably would not have taken a day off work. The only real thing Ive suffered from is fatuige, I have been, and still am very tied. Not sure how much of that is covid and how much is being in isolation with 2 kids under 5 for a week tho. Mr 4 had a couple of days of a medium high fever, would have been sent home for that, otherwise it was a total let down.

Covid review, 1 out of 5 stars, did not match the hype
(Probably because we're getting the omicron, which we all agree is much milder than the OG covid)

For those of you who have had the Rona, how quickly did you return to training? the official stuff I've seen talks about weeks of slowly easing back into it. Seems like huge over kill. I'm thinking maybe a couple of Z1-2 zwift rides, and short jogs on the weekend, and next week god to go? Or am I being silly?

FitNat Congratulations on your race. Great job smashing your gal time.
5-10 minutes is a lot of time to find. For what its worth, I think you should definitely be aiming to break under 2min/100 swimming, so there is probably 1 or 2 minutes on the swim without too much difficulty. You transitions are already awesome. Although you should aim to drop some of your run time, going from a 25min 5km, to 17/18min 5km, which is what you would need to get your 5-10 minutes is a huge gain. So my uninformed arm chair coaching says you need to make most of that on the bike. Mike is the man to talk to about making bike gains. But if your serious I'd say setting up a trainer road account, and hitting those intervals hard on the smart trainer for a few months.

Jen Nice work setting up the accountability plan. I'm the same as you, goal races entered and paid for a huge for motivation and accountability. Having a specific target to work towards makes i so much easier to get on with it

Mike Great job with the running. Here's hoping it continues and your back issues are in behind you.

2022-06-09 5:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl Not sure where my low hanging fruit are to be honest, maybe if I improve my swim technique I can gain a few seconds there. I think the biggest obstacle is the mental part. I am well aware that I didn't give it100% at the weekend (more like 90-95% I'd say). How do I get there?

After reading your RR and your world-leading transitions, you might be right on the low-hanging fruit.  How about equipment and bike fit?  Aero helmet?  At this point those get to be expensive seconds saved. 

Oh! Shopping! I like this suggestion !

Better than that one:

You could experiment with your run pacing.  Most of us try to negative split our run efforts, but maybe try going out hard and fading, then pushing through that hell to the finish.  Again - sprints should hurt. 

But seriously, that could be a strategy to try. My next race is a really short one (300m/18k/3k) so I could test going all out from the start to see if I can manage that to start with.

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-06-09 5:29 AM

2022-06-09 5:12 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

FitNat Congratulations on your race. Great job smashing your gal time.
5-10 minutes is a lot of time to find. For what its worth, I think you should definitely be aiming to break under 2min/100 swimming, so there is probably 1 or 2 minutes on the swim without too much difficulty. You transitions are already awesome. Although you should aim to drop some of your run time, going from a 25min 5km, to 17/18min 5km, which is what you would need to get your 5-10 minutes is a huge gain. So my uninformed arm chair coaching says you need to make most of that on the bike. Mike is the man to talk to about making bike gains. But if you're serious I'd say setting up a trainer road account, and hitting those intervals hard on the smart trainer for a few months.

I was just under 2 min/100m actually according to my watch, which showed 811m. Either the watch is wrong, the course was longer or I need to work on my navigating skills.

I have improved massively on the run, could hardly break 30 min not so long ago (although this is a very flat and fast course), I don't think I'll ever be 17/18 min fast but I think I can aim for 20/22. I could lose a few pounds, that would definitely help with the run.

You are right, I will focus on bike intervals this winter on the trainer.

2022-06-09 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by bulfrog FitNat Congratulations on your race. Great job smashing your gal time. 5-10 minutes is a lot of time to find. For what its worth, I think you should definitely be aiming to break under 2min/100 swimming, so there is probably 1 or 2 minutes on the swim without too much difficulty. You transitions are already awesome. Although you should aim to drop some of your run time, going from a 25min 5km, to 17/18min 5km, which is what you would need to get your 5-10 minutes is a huge gain. So my uninformed arm chair coaching says you need to make most of that on the bike. Mike is the man to talk to about making bike gains. But if you're serious I'd say setting up a trainer road account, and hitting those intervals hard on the smart trainer for a few months.
I was just under 2 min/100m actually according to my watch, which showed 811m. Either the watch is wrong, the course was longer or I need to work on my navigating skills. I have improved massively on the run, could hardly break 30 min not so long ago (although this is a very flat and fast course), I don't think I'll ever be 17/18 min fast but I think I can aim for 20/22. I could lose a few pounds, that would definitely help with the run. You are right, I will focus on bike intervals this winter on the trainer.

It's hard to improve dramatically in all three at once (I think you have the fourth discipline down pat with transitions).  That said, at 2:00/100, there's something to be gained on there, whether form, pacing, or sighting, or all three.  For biking, like Andrew said it's all about hard intervals over a period of time and that's hard to do during racing season, and then for running it's running often with just the right amount of interval work.  I dropped 2 minutes off my 5K time in about a year with focused running (every run has a purpose) maxing at 15 miles a week so it can be done without a huge mileage commitment.  I also learned to be tolerant of that VO2 max discomfort during a 5K - lots of self-talk and mind games.

RE: weight loss...so tough to judge how much it will impact your overall performance.  Losing weight will slow you down swimming a little (less buoyancy), sometimes a lot on the bike (lower power and momentum, especially on flat courses) and for running...it depends.  Obviously if you're carrying around 10-12 kg of unhealthy weight that's one thing (and doesn't appear to be the problem based on your profile and race pictures), but simply "eat less cookies" isn't always as simple a solution as it sounds.  And besides, I like cookies.  I've raced everywhere from 88 to 96 kg and the sweet spot for me is around 90.  Anything lower than that I start to lose muscle, it requires a huge commitment to diet and lifestyle that would likely result in divorce. 

2022-06-09 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Strength and core work for me is going well...I mauled my abs this morning with some weighted long-arm crunches so that'll hurt tomorrow.

My prediction was quite accurate on that front, so my 2200 yard swim this morning was sssslllloooowwww.  Felt better afterwards then had to have some dental work done - I should get some stress points for that for sure. 

I was toast yesterday afternoon and evening, went to bed early and work up today just beat down so taking a day off.  I think I overcooked my strength/core training on Tuesday plus sitting in a dentist chair for 2 1/2 hours just cooked me.  Back at it tomorrow in the pool and for a run later in  the day.

2022-06-09 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog For those of you who have had the Rona, how quickly did you return to training? the official stuff I've seen talks about weeks of slowly easing back into it. Seems like huge over kill. I'm thinking maybe a couple of Z1-2 zwift rides, and short jogs on the weekend, and next week god to go? Or am I being silly? 

Here's hoping it continues and your back issues are in behind you.

RE:  returning from COVID, way too many variables other than going by feel with a slow ramp-up, watching out for some of those rebound symptoms some people get.  Hopefully you'll be back to normal really quickly, and I think your plan is really solid.  I think most of those people with the major training impacts were from the original strain or Delta, and being vaxed and boosted should help you too. 

RE:  my back - me too!!!  They're definitely not totally behind me but I think I'm getting into a much better management strategy around it which should allow me to run enough to compete, but my 25 miles/week days are also behind me I think.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43