BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-01-12 7:50 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Mike, 24 degrees doesn't sound too bad... until I remember you use freedom units, not metric. that's nasty.

Nathalie, good that you're feeling better. And impressive that you're doing the responsible/intelligent thing and taking it easy rather than rushing back to fast like most of us do.

Nicole (OG), Nice job on the workout and yoga... strength and flexibility is something I need to do a lot more of. I'm aiming for 4-5 short sessions a week, but have missed 100% so far.

Nicole J, Followed you back on Strava. Nice job on your weeks workouts. That's a good mix of disciplines done.

It's been a mixed week for me so far. Mrs Bullfrog is going back to work for the first time since the arrival of little miss 1. So we're going through a bit of a change in routine having to get both little ones, up, fed, dressed and out the door on time to a schedule rather than a relaxed time table with a stay at home mum. Blah. welcome back to real life.

So morning runs have been a miserable failure so far. None done. Need to get myself up super early tomorrow and get something in.
Evening trainer rides have been good. 3/3 done so far. ticking along as usual.
And you wouldn't believe it but I finally made it to the pool, and swam some laps for the first time since March... And I didn't even drown.
10 days till half Ironman... 2 or 3 swims should be enough training. haha.

• I think I'm going to die.

2022-01-16 7:06 AM
    in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member
    Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by bulfrog. . I think I'm going to die.

Love the gallows humor.  Just wear a wetsuit and take a couple of swim noodles with you.  No problem!

BTW I spit out my coffee reading that last line.

2022-01-16 7:10 AM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Well we're back in the frozen tundra of...Maryland?  12 degrees out this morning...very rough transition for us coming from mid 70s weather on Thursday.  The drive back was really uneventful - good weather and no traffic minus the typical insanity around DC.  We almost decided to drive straight through on Friday but stopped about 4 hours short for the night.  Now a snowstorm turning into a rainstorm turning into a windstorm in the next 24 hours - winter in Maryland!

Heading down to the pit in a little bit to get a good bike workout in on the training plus a short run to wrap up the week.  We have tomorrow off here in the US for MLK day so I'll get in a good swim tomorrow morning.

2022-01-16 1:44 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by bulfrog. . I think I'm going to die.

Love the gallows humor.  Just wear a wetsuit and take a couple of swim noodles with you.  No problem!

BTW I spit out my coffee reading that last line.

Well we have to laugh at ourselves when we do stupid things don't we.

In all seriousness, although I am very undercooked for the swim, I am quite confident in the water. I'm not worried about being able to finish it or anything, but I am expecting an embarrassingly slow time. And a pretty tired upper body once I get out.

Absolutely a wetsuit swim. NZ is a lot warmer than you've got this week... but nothing like warm enough for no wetsuit OWS.

I've had a good weekend, 90 minute run, and a 30 min recovery spin Saturday. And a 2 hour bike on the TT rig, followed by a 30 minute brick run Sunday. Not fast for anything, but comfortable. So I've got a little bit of confidence for the weekend. So long as I stay in my nice cruisey pace we should survive.

Of course, we've had some Omicron cases leak over the boarder last week, so standing by for everything to be cancelled and plunged back into lockdown. Hopefully that happens next week, so I can sneak my race in.
    2022-01-18 7:14 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    Haven't posted in about a week. Got a bike boot camp in last Wednesday, took Thursday off, and Friday got one last PZ ride in before heading up to NY (yes, I left freezing Baltimore for even more freezing NY). It I think hit 10 degrees F on Saturday...we warmed ourselves with lots of wine tasting.

I did a yoga session Saturday, and had to help them shovel their driveway Monday so I could head back to the tropical Baltimore (it's all about perspective, Mike ).

Got in a PZ ride this morning. PR'd on my overall output for a 45 minute ride. We spent most of the time in zone 4 and 5, so a PR is not so surprising haha.

Back to the grind! Have a big grant due next week so it's gonna be a lot of long days this week. Need to squeeze in the workouts where I can though!
    2022-01-18 9:32 AM
    in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Good morning...I'm still not adjusted back to the cold LOL. 

Yesterday I got in  swim and strength session at the Y, and this morning was bike/treadmill/strength.  I'm up to about 15 minutes of jogging, so halfway there to my goal for running the 5K of my sprint in May.  So far my back has held together <fingers and toes crossed>.  Tomorrow is 6 AM yoga and a short lunch ride in aero (which will be the drops because I'm too lazy to set up my TT rig). 

@Andrew - here's hoping The Vid stays away a couple more weeks - I'd say we're about done mentally with this.  Omicron is freaking everywhere in the US but nothing is shutting down.

@Nicole - good to see you biking regularly.  It'll really make a difference come race time.

2022-01-18 4:03 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    Nicole Good job on the hard ride. Hope you get everything squeezed in with your busy week.

Mike Nice work on the continuous time running. That's great progress.

For myself, I'm in a bit of a taper, as the 70.3 is this weekend. 1000m swim Monday, 30 minute bike with some 95%FTP intervals Tuesday, and a short run this morning. Planning on another bike, swim and run all about the same between now and heading down to Tauranga Friday.

At the moment (knock on wood) it looks like we've avoided the Omicron for now, with only 1 positive case found from the leaks across the boarder. This week Dear Leader told us if/when it pops up in the community, the whole country will be going to our 'red' setting. Which means no more than 100 people at events, so no 70.3. So we need to get through another 4 days, then we can find it out in the community, and the children in charge of this country can pretend that NZ is somehow special and will have a different Omicron experience to every other county in the world. Ah the joys of living in the smug hermit kingdom.
    2022-01-19 10:47 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    Mike - I agree. I'm very interested to see how my bike leg is effected by real training, even if it's on the Peloton.

Andrew - Good luck! Sending you all the positive vibes so you can get through the 70.3!! Definitely keep us posted.

Got in a 60 minute PZE ride this morning and did a short stretch after. Hoping to get a yoga session in sometime today to work on my hammies and calves. Both are a bit tight.

2022-01-19 10:53 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    I have a question that is probably stupid and I should probably just bite the bullet and buy some...

How much of a difference do bike shorts actually make? I've never purchased any. For Tris I have a tri suit that is padded. All this riding I have been doing has just been in spandex shorts or capris. My booty (debated which word to use here, but this one is my favorite :-) ) often feels very uncomfortable while riding, but part of me just thinks that is mostly because a lot of the work is in my booty since we mostly stay in the saddle.

Do you guys notice a big difference? Do you ever ride without bike shorts? Should I just shut up and buy some? If so, do you have a preferred brand? Preferably one that doesn't break the bank too bad...
    2022-01-19 3:02 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

@Nicole - I swear by DeSoto brand gear.  I've used most of their different lines - Carrera (a softer fabric with a felt chamois),  and Forza (tighter fabric with a couple of different thicknesses, but none are really "thick").  You get what you pay for with bike clothing.  I always use chamois cream as well. 

Saddle discomfort can come from a ton of different things - saddle, bike fit, shorts.  Mostly trial and error to fix.  Those Peloton seats are really big and I don't like them much.  It also depends on where you're feeling the discomfort - soft tissue, sit bones, etc. 

Sometimes it's just acclimation over time, too.  You're ramping up bike training and it just might take some T.I.T.S. (time in the saddle ).

Edited by jmhpsu93 2022-01-19 3:03 PM
    2022-01-19 8:15 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    Nicole, first thing that pops into mind is have you tried doing some peloton rides in your tri suit. See if that padding makes any difference to you.

Personally other than short commute type rides, yes I'm always in bib shorts, or tri shorts. (in the case of Ironman, tri shorts under bib shorts) So I would be wearing bike shorts on the peloton. I also find that indoor cycling in general is harder on the booty than outdoors due to the lack of bike movement under you.

Another thing to try is can you change the saddle on it? changing the saddle to match your road bike may help make it more comfortable.

2022-01-23 3:38 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    Well we got it done,

Saturday I finished my 5th Half Ironman. It was slow, it was painful. I have an epic sunburn which has made sleeping difficult the last few days. But we finished, I wasn't last, and although being the closest I have come to quitting a triathlon, maintained my 100% finishing record. And to be fair, for the quality of training I've done, it is a fair result.

And on Sunday morning it was announced that the Omicron is out and about in NZ and the country is going to 'red' setting. So the event wouldn't have happened. We got away with it by about 36 hours. Glad I'm not entered in Ironman in March this year... that has to be looking very doubtful.

Race report to come some time over the next few days,

Hope you all had a good weekend.
    2022-01-23 7:20 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    Thanks Mike and Andrew for your recommendations!

Mike, I will check out the brand you mentioned. In terms of the pain, it's not so much my sit bones, more my muscles/soft tissue.

I'm gonna try shorts first (Andrew, good idea about trying out my tri suit, now just have to find it), and then will escalate to changing my seat if I think it will make a difference. I also want to take some classes on being more efficient on the bike, as I'm pretty sure I am not doing it completely correctly. Will keep y'all posted.
    2022-01-23 7:25 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    Did a 45 minute PZ ride Friday, mostly in zones 4-6...it was pretty tough! Felt good though. Saturday did a 45 minute bike boot camp, and this morning did a 75 minute PZE ride. This was my first 75 minute ride. I was SO ready to be off the bike when it was over, but other than that I felt pretty good! Was in zone 3 for 5, 7, 9, 9, 7, 5 with 4 minutes in zone 2 between each interval.

I stayed in my saddle the whole time on the 75 minute ride. He gives opportunities to come out, but I feel like my zones are too low to come out (the resistance doesn't feel high enough to come out of the saddle). I'm really interested to do my FTP test at the end of this and see how much I've improved.
    2022-01-24 6:27 AM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Well we got it done, Saturday I finished my 5th Half Ironman. It was slow, it was painful. I have an epic sunburn which has made sleeping difficult the last few days. But we finished, I wasn't last, and although being the closest I have come to quitting a triathlon, maintained my 100% finishing record. And to be fair, for the quality of training I've done, it is a fair result. And on Sunday morning it was announced that the Omicron is out and about in NZ and the country is going to 'red' setting. So the event wouldn't have happened. We got away with it by about 36 hours. Glad I'm not entered in Ironman in March this year... that has to be looking very doubtful. Race report to come some time over the next few days, Hope you all had a good weekend.

Yeah, Andrew, saw your race on Strava...that looked painful but it's great you stuck to it.  Hope you recover from the sunburn - ouch. 

2022-01-24 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Did a 45 minute PZ ride Friday, mostly in zones 4-6...it was pretty tough! Felt good though. Saturday did a 45 minute bike boot camp, and this morning did a 75 minute PZE ride. This was my first 75 minute ride. I was SO ready to be off the bike when it was over, but other than that I felt pretty good! Was in zone 3 for 5, 7, 9, 9, 7, 5 with 4 minutes in zone 2 between each interval. I stayed in my saddle the whole time on the 75 minute ride. He gives opportunities to come out, but I feel like my zones are too low to come out (the resistance doesn't feel high enough to come out of the saddle). I'm really interested to do my FTP test at the end of this and see how much I've improved.

I like your solution to overcoming saddle soreness...you're just going to ride as much as possible until it goes away. 

FTP tests are brutal - I hate them so good luck!

2022-01-24 3:56 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    Yeah, Andrew, saw your race on Strava...that looked painful but it's great you stuck to it.  Hope you recover from the sunburn - ouch. 

Thanks. Yes, it was painful... but mostly self inflicted due to terrible training. So no sympathy for self inflicted pain.
    2022-01-24 6:07 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    Andrew, way to get it done! And so glad you got it done before complete shutdown. Keep your chin up while you go into another period of quarantine!
    2022-01-24 6:11 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e Did a 45 minute PZ ride Friday, mostly in zones 4-6...it was pretty tough! Felt good though. Saturday did a 45 minute bike boot camp, and this morning did a 75 minute PZE ride. This was my first 75 minute ride. I was SO ready to be off the bike when it was over, but other than that I felt pretty good! Was in zone 3 for 5, 7, 9, 9, 7, 5 with 4 minutes in zone 2 between each interval. I stayed in my saddle the whole time on the 75 minute ride. He gives opportunities to come out, but I feel like my zones are too low to come out (the resistance doesn't feel high enough to come out of the saddle). I'm really interested to do my FTP test at the end of this and see how much I've improved.

I like your solution to overcoming saddle soreness...you're just going to ride as much as possible until it goes away. 

Haha exactly! I thought it would've worked by now though!

I'm doing a 6 week program and tomorrow will finish week 4 (I'm about a week ahead but going away for a week starting next Wednesday so will be back to caught up). So basically 1 more week, and then week 6 is an easier week culminating in the FTP test. So I have a little time! Definitely expecting it to be brutal though.
    2022-01-25 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Good morning, all.  I'm coming into a recovery week in Base 2, which is a good thing as my back flared up over the weekend.  Nothing I'm not used to but it basically shuts down running for a few days to a week.  Thankfully they aren't as frequent as they used to be - I've had a good three months of training.  I know what the root cause is (my spondylolisthesis), but the triggers are weird and really inconsistent which is the frustrating part (well, beyond the walking around like Fred Sanford for a few days part ).

Got in a good bike session this morning with a bunch of stretching and yoga.  Swim tomorrow.

Happy recovery, Andrew!

2022-01-25 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog
    Originally posted by jmhpsu93 Yeah, Andrew, saw your race on Strava...that looked painful but it's great you stuck to it.  Hope you recover from the sunburn - ouch. 
    Thanks. Yes, it was painful... but mostly self inflicted due to terrible training. So no sympathy for self inflicted pain.

Well consider it an expensive big training day. 

2022-01-25 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e

Haha exactly! I thought it would've worked by now though! I'm doing a 6 week program and tomorrow will finish week 4 (I'm about a week ahead but going away for a week starting next Wednesday so will be back to caught up). So basically 1 more week, and then week 6 is an easier week culminating in the FTP test. So I have a little time! Definitely expecting it to be brutal though.

The hard thing about FTP tests is that it takes practice to get good at them (and therefore accurate results).  I'm so much better just using race results to do estimates, and all I use FTP for is assigning my training zones and bragging rights LOL. 

2022-01-26 6:07 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    Yeah, I've only done one and was just winging it. So we'll see how this goes!

Sorry to hear about your back acting up. Hopefully it calms down soon.

2022-01-26 6:14 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
    Didn't work out Monday because I had this grant due yesterday and ended up working all day. Yesterday the grant went in 3 minutes late, which means it's likely to not be reviewed. I spent so much time on it and just started crying. Got on the bike to try to feel better. It took me 35 minutes for the tears to stop (at times I was actually sobbing). It was really weird, but I felt so much better afterwards. Also had a PR on my output.
    2022-01-26 3:37 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
    Well done Andrew! Looking forward to reading your race report. Sorry to hear about your back Mike, hope it gets better soon.
    Nicole, that sucks!

I’ve Finally shaken off that cold and I’m back on track! Started easy with a home strength session on Sunday, a slow one hour trainer ride, keeping bmp under 120 on Monday and went one gear up today with some running intervals. It was supposed to be with my new club but I took a wrong turn driving there, arrived 5 minutes late and missed them. Typical me. So I did the session on my own. Just as well maybe, I pushed less than I would have done in a group, which for the first time after a 2 months hiatus is probably wise.

Some bike intervals tomorrow, an easy 10k on Saturday and my first Masters swim on Sunday.

Feels good to be back!

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43