BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-08-22 10:00 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by drfoodlove I'm finally getting back into a routine of sorts! Swim yesterday (Wednesday) after an AWFUL drive home on Tuesday. Today I went for a short walk and then took my dog for an even shorter walk (she is old and disabled now...she is lucky if she can go 0.25 miles to the end of the road). I finally managed to type up a race report. It is long--and hopefully using the link below should get anyone access if they want to read it. It was too long to put in BT's report sections...or I was just too lazy to try to do it that way. https://saluki-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/gdabbs_siu_edu/ES1M8...
Thanks for the novel! I enjoyed reading it very much (and also, it comforted me in my decision not to do a full IM, ever) I enjoyed reading about snorkel man and vasectomy guy. Congratulations on becoming National champion and of course you will go to Ibiza Thanks for the mention for this little group at the end!

Gretchen -

What an amazing race report - you probably broke the BT server trying it there.  I should get you to write mine...love your writing style and you make it seem like I'm doing the race with you, which is the closest I will ever get to doing one of those mother%#$#%!! long distance races.  

Congrats again and such a great accomplishment for you - you're SO going to Spain.  I know you'll look back and think about what you can improve on, but it seemed like you more or less did what you planned to do and the run is always a crapshoot in long distance races.  I think you nailed your swim pace LOL. 

2022-08-22 10:18 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Hey, everyone - back from paradise and into a recovery week with a slew of test efforts, including a @#$@!! ramp test, a swim TT, and a 5K run race.  I got in some decent work down in Cancun, two 4 mile runs, two 5+ mile walks and a couple of short bikes and swims in the resort pool (50 yards in length, which is cool as I never swim LC pools).  40 mile ride back here yesterday with 14 miles or so targeting race pace.  Almost nine hours total.  Five weeks out to the Oly.  I'm going through Mexican beer withdrawal right now.    And my neck is killing me so I was probably grabbing my handlebars for dear life yesterday or something.

@Gretchen - you're already back training - WTF??  I'd be sitting around getting fat (-ter) for a month after a 140.6.  And skydiving SMH.  What's next on the books, space travel???

@Andrew - good to see you're getting your rhythm back and you're smartly managing the volume increase.  I know you're still smack in the middle of winter there so I know how hard it is to keep churning through the crappy weather.

@Nicole - glad to see you made it to Masters...I'm finally going to go this Friday (first practice in seven years LOL - this should be interesting). 

@Nathalie - good luck this weekend and time to crush that lady's soul!!!!  Or maybe spike her coffee.  

Have a great week, BDAS!

2022-08-22 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Anyone else having trouble accessing Nathalie’s race report? I click on the link and it takes me to a log in screen. I’m already logged in. If I log in on that screen, it just takes me back to the main page…and repeat the whole process again. What am I doing wrong? No SBR for me today I’m going sky diving!
I think it was me who put the wrong link. I have edited it now, is this better? https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... OMG Sky diving! Enjoy!

Sounds like a fun time, Nathalie and glad you executed your race well, including pushing through the run and not being distracted by the beer drinkers like last race.  That's a good turnout for a sprint for sure and a Wednesday race sounds fun. 

2022-08-22 1:04 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Gretchen that is AMAZING! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Absolutely cannot wait to read your report. Sounds like it was very challenging mentally (and of course physically, but ouchie on the kick in the face!), but you pushed through and killed it! Eek, can't wait for more! How did your wife like the event? What did she do with herself while you were out on the bike and run?

I missed this post...sorry Nicole, I wasn't ignoring you!

C liked the race, as much as a non-athlete can like any LONG sports event. She went with me to swim start, but then headed back to the hotel and hungout until about when she thought I'd be on the run (she cut it CLOSE!!). She's already teasing about when (yep...I said it folks...when) we go to Ibiza, she is getting in her yarn store trip, come heck or high water!
2022-08-22 1:06 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove Anyone else having trouble accessing Nathalie’s race report? I click on the link and it takes me to a log in screen. I’m already logged in. If I log in on that screen, it just takes me back to the main page…and repeat the whole process again. What am I doing wrong? No SBR for me today I’m going sky diving!
I think it was me who put the wrong link. I have edited it now, is this better? https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... OMG Sky diving! Enjoy!

Sounds like a fun time, Nathalie and glad you executed your race well, including pushing through the run and not being distracted by the beer drinkers like last race.  That's a good turnout for a sprint for sure and a Wednesday race sounds fun. 

Nathalie--I need you to give me lessons in transitions! Smokin' hot times--1'!! I think it takes me longer to get out of the water than that!
2022-08-22 1:11 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2550yds in the pool today. I really enjoyed the swim this morning. It will take a bit to get me back into running and biking, but I have an Oly coming up on 11 September, so I can't loaf too long. I really liked the idea of hitting the Triathlon cycle (sprint, Oly, HIM, IM) all in one season at the beginning of the season when I was dividing up my race budget. :D

Skydiving...meh. It was fine. It was fun, but I have no real desire to do it again anytime soon. I was nauseous for several hours afterwards, so that kinda took some of the fun out of it.

(IMG_4760[1].JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_4760[1].JPG (415KB - 12 downloads)

2022-08-22 2:57 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

She's already teasing about when (yep...I said it folks...when) we go to Ibiza, she is getting in her yarn store trip, come heck or high water!

Yes! Ibiza, here you come!

Also, yarn store? As in knitting? I have nothing against it’s fun to see how you have very different interests.

A bit like me an my other half, he has a passion for cars, motorbikes and anything with an engine, which I am totally not interested in. He doesn’t get triathlon at all.

Quite healthy to have your own interest mind you. We have other things in common (we play in the same band and we like to watch hockey)
2022-08-22 2:59 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Nathalie--I need you to give me lessons in transitions! Smokin' hot times--1'!! I think it takes me longer to get out of the water than that!

I practice them a lot.
2022-08-22 3:01 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Had a pretty low key weekend, which was VERY needed. After taking a couple rest days last week, I ran Friday, including some hills, went to masters Saturday (my watch says I did 2250m but I was in a yard pool and we did a lot of kicking, which I don't know if it picks up on all the time), and did a bike boot camp class yesterday. It was raining this morning, but I'm going to try to run over lunch today. Also cleaned a lot and no longer feel like my house/life is in utter chaos.

Sounds like a good weekend
2022-08-23 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Gretchen that is AMAZING! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Absolutely cannot wait to read your report. Sounds like it was very challenging mentally (and of course physically, but ouchie on the kick in the face!), but you pushed through and killed it! Eek, can't wait for more! How did your wife like the event? What did she do with herself while you were out on the bike and run?
I missed this post...sorry Nicole, I wasn't ignoring you! C liked the race, as much as a non-athlete can like any LONG sports event. She went with me to swim start, but then headed back to the hotel and hungout until about when she thought I'd be on the run (she cut it CLOSE!!). She's already teasing about when (yep...I said it folks...when) we go to Ibiza, she is getting in her yarn store trip, come heck or high water!

My sherpa is already complaining about sitting around for the three hours it'll take me to do the Olympic next month.   

She's a trooper though and always right where I expect her to be, standing next to transition yelling at me to hurry up while I'm in there.

2022-08-23 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I practice them a lot.

We all probably should.  I really struggle getting my wetsuit off over the timing band on my ankle and damn near rip my wetsuit every time.

What's your routine (order of things) in T1 or T2?

2022-08-23 10:38 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Timing band (and watch) is under the wetsuit. Legs are quite long on mine (I am short and didn't cut them as I need the warmth when swimming in colder water)
I put Vaseline on my ankle and wrists

T1: Swim as much as I can before getting up to avoid having to run/walk through too deep water. Generally, when my hand touches the ground, I take a couple more strokes.
Just before I get up, I pull the front of the suit to let some water in, which loosens it from the skin a bit.
Top part of the suit off as I jog to my spot, then cap and googles off
When at my spot (which I have located before the race, coming from the water ), rest of suit off (tricky that, room for improvement I still need my hands so no putting helmet on at the same time
Helmet and sunglasses on
Race belt on
No socks
Cycling shoes are on the bike, held by elastic bands
Jump on and off I go.

T2, shoes off a few yards before the line, hang bike, helmet off, socks on (not rolled, as quite short), shoes on (elastic laces) and off I go.

2022-08-23 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Timing band (and watch) is under the wetsuit. Legs are quite long on mine (I am short and didn't cut them as I need the warmth when swimming in colder water) I put Vaseline on my ankle and wrists T1: Swim as much as I can before getting up to avoid having to run/walk through too deep water. Generally, when my hand touches the ground, I take a couple more strokes. Just before I get up, I pull the front of the suit to let some water in, which loosens it from the skin a bit. Top part of the suit off as I jog to my spot, then cap and googles off When at my spot (which I have located before the race, coming from the water ), rest of suit off (tricky that, room for improvement I still need my hands so no putting helmet on at the same time Helmet and sunglasses on Race belt on No socks Cycling shoes are on the bike, held by elastic bands Jump on and off I go. T2, shoes off a few yards before the line, hang bike, helmet off, socks on (not rolled, as quite short), shoes on (elastic laces) and off I go.

Some really good pointers in there, Nathalie.  On the other side of the spectrum, here's my routine:

T1

• swim to touch of ground then stand up (I'm tall so this won't put me in chest deep water); instantly cramp up and wait for that to subside
  • jog to transition while taking goggles, swim cap, and top of suit off
  • get to transition spot (I try to pick one close to T1 entrance and along the fence/barrier, at the end of the rack...less likely to wind up in a smash up of $5K bikes and I get a little extra room)
  • spread out picnic blanket and prepare charcuterie board, open wine, fold linens
  • struggle to get off wetsuit over ankles (your timing chip under the suit thing might work if I can get it up that high - I have no calves anyway so probably won't matter if I have to pull it up a bit)
  • lie on ground thrashing to get last bit of wetsuit over ankles; rest a minute from exhaustion (only slightly exaggerating on this one)
  • socks on, bike shoes on (the shoes on the bike thing would be difficult for me as I have long legs and alligator arms - it's tough for me to even tighten my twist-lock gadget on my bike shoes)
  • helmet, sunglasses on
  • slice baguette and pour wine into glasses
  • stand back up, grab bike and jog out of transition

T2

• jog to bike, rack
  • helmet off
  • switch shoes (mine have regular laces and I have wide feet so that's always an adventure getting pre-tied shoes on)
  • listen to my wife yell at me to hurry up (this is not an exaggeration, and if my daughter's there it's like a chorus)
  • chat with neighbors in transition who have already finished the race and offer some of my prepared picnic
  • race belt on, cap on (if I'm wearing one), Go!
2022-08-23 2:16 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Your transitions sound like more fun than mine, with the picnic and wine

Why do you have regular laces on your running shoes? If you have to have these, maybe a shoehorn would help?

The bike shoes I use in races do not have the twist lock thingie. Only 2 large velcro fastening like on these

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-trinity-carbon-tri-shoe
2022-08-23 6:32 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Gretchen Your 1 and done skydive is 1 more than I ever intend to do. Sorry about the nausea, sounds quite unpleasant.

I understand not feeling like hoping on the bike or running but can I suggest you do try and go for some short/easy jogs this week. After my ironman last year I took 2 full weeks off and when I tried my first run, there was much pain in the IT band. After injury free Ironman training I found that confusing, but my physio thought that going from doing so much to giving the body a complete rest was a big contributing factor to the injury appearing. I'm not saying go for a tempo run or anything, just try and head out and turn the legs over. Your body might thank you for it.

Re transitions For 70.3 and above I tend not to worry too much about speed. I'm racing my former self, not for podiums so a couple of extra minutes here and there don't bother me too much, and for the longer distances I'd rather get things right and be comfortable than gain a few seconds by rushing. That said my last couple of sprints were T1 approx. 3min T2 2 min.

Top half of wetsuit off on the jog to T1
goggles/swim cap off after wetsuit top half is off.
Socks on in t1 for 70.3 and up, not for sprints

at T2, short races (oly/sprint) I use elastic laces. Long races, regular laces. I feel the extra few seconds lacing up is worth it to have properly fitting shoes for a half marathon run
Always new socks. I have flat feet, no socks = epic blisters. I learnt that the hard way.
Hat, sunglasses (if not already wearing from bike) and racebelt are put on on the move.

Of course my last sprint tri was 2016... so it's been a while
2022-08-23 6:41 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Good start to the week for me.

Short and easy runs Monday and Wednesday before work. Zwift rides Monday and Tuesday evenings. Will ride again tonight, and then off on a work trip down the line, so no riding for a couple of days but will try and go for a few runs. Weather dependent.

So far so good, hope everyone else is having a productive week.

2022-08-24 3:26 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Good start to the week for me.

Short and easy runs Monday and Wednesday before work. Zwift rides Monday and Tuesday evenings. Will ride again tonight, and then off on a work trip down the line, so no riding for a couple of days but will try and go for a few runs. Weather dependent.

So far so good, hope everyone else is having a productive week.

Great start to the week Andrew, way to go!

Re: transition, I only do sprints so I am always in a hurry.
Being fast helped the time I won my home race 4 years ago. The girl who came second had about the same times on the swim and bike (34 secs faster on the bike, 26 secs slower on the swim) and she was much faster on the run (as most people are), 2+ minutes faster or so. I won because she did a Mike and had a picnic in transition (4:28 vs my 1:53).

That's the only time being fast in transition actually meant something but I still talk about it 4 years later so it's worth it

2022-08-24 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Good start to the week for me. Short and easy runs Monday and Wednesday before work. Zwift rides Monday and Tuesday evenings. Will ride again tonight, and then off on a work trip down the line, so no riding for a couple of days but will try and go for a few runs. Weather dependent. So far so good, hope everyone else is having a productive week.
Great start to the week Andrew, way to go! Re: transition, I only do sprints so I am always in a hurry. Being fast helped the time I won my home race 4 years ago. The girl who came second had about the same times on the swim and bike (34 secs faster on the bike, 26 secs slower on the swim) and she was much faster on the run (as most people are), 2+ minutes faster or so. I won because she did a Mike and had a picnic in transition (4:28 vs my 1:53). That's the only time being fast in transition actually meant something but I still talk about it 4 years later so it's worth it

I cost myself a podium spot in a super sprint back in 2013 - after that I got myself to MOP in transition times.  I think like Andrew said for longer course it doesn't matter as much, but the shorter the race the more it impacts your placing for sure.

2022-08-24 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Test week began today with a 1K TT in the pool with a pull buoy to simulate a wetsuit (it's WAY to warm in my indoor pool to wear one).  PR by 4 seconds, 17:13 so a 1:43/100 pace.  I did a really good job pacing with my three fastest 100s being my first and the last two.  Tomorrow is a @$#$@!! ramp test so we'll see how that goes.  Poorly and painfully, probably. 

2022-08-24 9:37 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Y'all were cracking me up with these transition discussions. The visuals, especially for Mike, were awesome.

I think I'm decent in transitions. Less is more on those sprints for sure.

T1:
I typically don't wear a wetsuit unless they make me, so that helps my time a ton
Cap and goggles off during the run
Shoes on (no socks)
Sunglasses are in my helmet so I put those on followed by the helmet
Grab my bike and go

T2:
Shoes and helmet off
roll my socks so they roll right on
Shoes on - I also don't have elastic laces but might invest in some for races!
Visor and number belt on and go

Nathalie I had a similar win once. This girl was FLYING on the run. The course is an out and back so I can see her gaining on me as we are going through loops in the parking lots. 10 more meters and she would've flown by me but I crossed the finish line half a second before her. Transition was definitely a big part of that (I can't remember her time, but it was definitely significantly slower than mine). I never imagined needing to use my track lean in a triathlon finish!
2022-08-24 9:41 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got a run in at lunch on Monday. It was hot out, so my 1pm meeting I looked like a tomato, but eventually cooled down. My program had me do my typical cadence and acceleration drills, but then had me do a "magic mile," so basically running a mile fast without dying. Ran it in 7:22! So feeling pretty good about that.

I had vball that evening, and woke up the next morning feeling really sore, so instead of cycling I just did some arms, core, and then yoga. Much needed for sure.

Did a mini brick this morning - 20 minute (mostly climb) ride followed by my typical drill workout which was about 3 miles.

Mike, I might make practice Friday! Not sure yet but Kevin's workouts typically kill me so need to get to one of his soon for sure. He's been out with COVID the last 2 weeks.

2022-08-25 6:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
All this transition talk is making me laugh!! Mike, yours sound a heck of a lot like mine! Sandwiches for everyone in transition--I'm cooking! :D

Andrew--thanks for the advice on running a bit this week. I've been doing some walking and swimming. Haven't thought about biking or actually running yet. Just can't wrap my head around having to do either (even though I have an Oly in 2.5 weeks).

Yesterday was a 2900yd swim (and yes, if I had realized it was 2900, I would have just done the extra 100 to get to 3K; I like round numbers!). Then I went and got my 140.6 tattoo. It HURT. I have nine tattoos now, and this was by far the worst--4 hours of excruciating pain. I'd rather do another 140.6 than get this tattoo again. It is weird, because it still hurts this morning when I walk, actually, when I stand up from sitting/laying down, it feels like someone is running a cheese grater over my leg. Never had that with any of my other ink,but this one is the largest piece and it took the longest, so I guess it is the most damage.

Anyway--image below. Back of my right calf (and yes, I know it should be left calf, but that space is already occupied!) The owl is associated with Athena (Greek goddess of wisdom and war). I race in the Athena division. The bell it is crushing is the "quitter's bell" (something I first learned about on the Ironman motivational videos on youtube). If you want to quit Navy Seal training, you just have to ring the bell in the middle of the training yard. When my wife heard that, she immediately went out and bought me a ship's bell and put it in my training area. We made a deal that if I wanted to quit a workout, I had to ring that bell, so our motto over the last year has been "never ring the bell", which worked for me. She even got me a head tube cap with that saying on it--pretty impressive for a woman who wouldn't know a head tube if it knocked her in the head.

Edited by drfoodlove 2022-08-25 6:28 AM

(IMG_E4764[1].JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_E4764[1].JPG (4046KB - 6 downloads)
2022-08-25 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Ink isn't my thing but that is a really cool tattoo, Gretchen.  Love the thought that went into the design and it's just stunning.

2022-08-25 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

We were true pioneers here at BDAS :

Snag a Personal Record™

2022-08-25 11:43 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Very awesome tattoo, Gretchen!!! It's beautiful! Hopefully it stops hurting soon!

Got in a 45 minute PZ ride this morning, followed by some stretching. Need to work more strength in, but was wiped after the ride.

Still loving my Garmin. I'm just learning some of the features that it has, and it looks like I'm on the right track to a pretty solid tri in October. This is easily the most consistent I've ever been since starting to compete in triathlons so I'm very interested to see how it pans out! Just gotta keep the consistency going!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43