BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-08-25 1:10 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by nicole14e Very awesome tattoo, Gretchen!!! It's beautiful! Hopefully it stops hurting soon! Got in a 45 minute PZ ride this morning, followed by some stretching. Need to work more strength in, but was wiped after the ride. Still loving my Garmin. I'm just learning some of the features that it has, and it looks like I'm on the right track to a pretty solid tri in October. This is easily the most consistent I've ever been since starting to compete in triathlons so I'm very interested to see how it pans out! Just gotta keep the consistency going!

And get yourself outdoors on a bike!!  The fitness translates but riding outdoors has a different feel than a spin bike like The Peloton. 

BTW...I bought my practice pack for Masters, now I just have to get up tomorrow.  LOL

Today I slogged my way through a Ramp Test (have I mentioned that I hate these? ) and smoothed in a 246 FTP result which is at least in the ballpark.  I think I needed to last another 45 seconds or so to get both a 5-minute PR and beat my current FTP setting.  I just suck at doing them because I don't do them enough.  Maybe next time (two years from now ). 

2022-08-25 1:47 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e Very awesome tattoo, Gretchen!!! It's beautiful! Hopefully it stops hurting soon! Got in a 45 minute PZ ride this morning, followed by some stretching. Need to work more strength in, but was wiped after the ride. Still loving my Garmin. I'm just learning some of the features that it has, and it looks like I'm on the right track to a pretty solid tri in October. This is easily the most consistent I've ever been since starting to compete in triathlons so I'm very interested to see how it pans out! Just gotta keep the consistency going!

And get yourself outdoors on a bike!!  The fitness translates but riding outdoors has a different feel than a spin bike like The Peloton. 

BTW...I bought my practice pack for Masters, now I just have to get up tomorrow.  LOL

Today I slogged my way through a Ramp Test (have I mentioned that I hate these? ) and smoothed in a 246 FTP result which is at least in the ballpark.  I think I needed to last another 45 seconds or so to get both a 5-minute PR and beat my current FTP setting.  I just suck at doing them because I don't do them enough.  Maybe next time (two years from now ). 

FINE
j/k, I will definitely get out on the bike a couple times in the next few weeks. Will probably do a brick one of these mornings with some figure 8s around Patterson Park (ugh), and will get up to gunpowder to ride around a bit.
Baby steps! haha see you in the AM!
2022-08-25 2:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Nice tattoo!

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-08-29 2:42 AM
2022-08-26 12:39 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Happy Friday!

No BRS for me yesterday, played in a golf tournament with my work instead that lasted 6:30 hours, due to the many booths, one at almost every hole offering you food and drink and other activities. Organised by a local charity. It was lot of fun but exhausting.
Luckily I didn’t drink alcohol, having finally decided to take a break until my last race of the season (2 weeks). Better late than never.
But there was lot of food and 6:30h on your feet, I am not used to that.

Hopefully will be recovered tomorrow for my home race.

2022-08-26 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Sounds like a fun day on the course, Nathalie.  I did something similar a few years ago where we walked around touring a college campus all day (walked like eight miles) then I had an aquabike the next day.  Legs were a little dead but not too bad.  Good luck at the backyard race tomorrow.

So, after 6+ years of Nicole and I being on this BDAS group together, living in the same town (and for a while belonging to the same gym), we finally "met" in person.  And by "met" I mean saying hello a few times in between me being yelled at by the Masters coach for a whole slew of things I was doing wrong.  What is this "breaststroke" thing?    Well I physically survived and the 2nd half of practice once we started doing human strokes like freestyle I did fine and probably could have moved up a lane.

As apparently Nicole comes a half hour late , no picture but maybe we'll get some proof at some point. 

I have a short bike/run brick tomorrow then a 5K race with my daughter on Sunday.  Happy Friday everyone!!

2022-08-26 8:05 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Sounds like a fun day on the course, Nathalie.  I did something similar a few years ago where we walked around touring a college campus all day (walked like eight miles) then I had an aquabike the next day.  Legs were a little dead but not too bad.  Good luck at the backyard race tomorrow.

So, after 6+ years of Nicole and I being on this BDAS group together, living in the same town (and for a while belonging to the same gym), we finally "met" in person.  And by "met" I mean saying hello a few times in between me being yelled at by the Masters coach for a whole slew of things I was doing wrong.  What is this "breaststroke" thing?    Well I physically survived and the 2nd half of practice once we started doing human strokes like freestyle I did fine and probably could have moved up a lane.

As apparently Nicole comes a half hour late , no picture but maybe we'll get some proof at some point. 

I have a short bike/run brick tomorrow then a 5K race with my daughter on Sunday.  Happy Friday everyone!!

Yes, it was fun and the best thing is that I got paid for it (does it make me a semi-pro golfer?)

Cool that you finally met!

What is this "breaststroke" thing?

That reminds me of that girl who came last in the 50m breastroke at the olympics, dead last, like 5 minutes after everybody else. One interviewer asked her what went wrong. She replied "well, I am not one to grass but all the other girls were using their arms!"

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-08-26 8:29 AM

2022-08-26 9:59 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Yes it was so great to finally meet! I was definitely surprised he had you doing the different workout, but makes sense if he was basing it off your breaststroke. That is silly. Sometimes you just need to tell him you want to try the other one and he's usually amenable. Definitely join Juergen and I next time! That was a tough set. We were getting 10ish seconds after the 100s and 5-10 after the 25s. Poor Juergen sometimes got 3 seconds, had to go as soon as he finished. Felt good though! I'm probably going again tomorrow, and we will definitely snag a photo one of these days (Mike failed to mention he left early ). I don't always get there late but didn't sleep great last night so was slow moving this morning.

2022-08-26 10:00 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Yes, it was fun and the best thing is that I got paid for it (does it make me a semi-pro golfer?)

I'd say yes!
2022-08-27 12:25 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Race day!

By the time you lot wake up I’ll be done.

Perfect weather conditions ’ 20 C, Partly cloudy, no wind.

Goal for the race: under my time from 4 years ago (1:16 something) not collapse on the run.

2022-08-27 6:19 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Race day! By the time you lot wake up I’ll be done. Perfect weather conditions ’ 20 C, Partly cloudy, no wind. Goal for the race: under my time from 4 years ago (1:16 something) not collapse on the run.

OK, I'm awake.  Well, how did it go Speedy? 

2022-08-27 6:46 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl Race day! By the time you lot wake up I’ll be done. Perfect weather conditions ’ 20 C, Partly cloudy, no wind. Goal for the race: under my time from 4 years ago (1:16 something) not collapse on the run.

Good morning!

Waiting for the official results to do my victory dance because I forgot to start my watch at the start, only started it on the bike, then I didn’t stop it when I crossed the finish line but I think I saw that the the time was 1:16 something when I finished. Which would mean that I may have beaten my best time from 2018 (1:16:28).

The good thing I will take with me from this race, whatever the clock says, is that I did not give up on the run, even pushed harder than ever trying to catch up with the girl who ”stole” my second place. She passed me on the bike but I got sight of her at about 3km into the run and gained a lot of ground on her in the last 2. Well pleased with that.

Have a great weekend all!

2022-08-27 8:27 AM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Great job, Nathalie!! Sounds like you had a great race, regardless of the time. Don’t you just love that modern technology? Great when it works, but man user error usually gets in my way.
2022-08-27 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good morning! Waiting for the official results to do my victory dance because I forgot to start my watch at the start, only started it on the bike, then I didn’t stop it when I crossed the finish line but I think I saw that the the time was 1:16 something when I finished. Which would mean that I may have beaten my best time from 2018 (1:16:28). The good thing I will take with me from this race, whatever the clock says, is that I did not give up on the run, even pushed harder than ever trying to catch up with the girl who ”stole” my second place. She passed me on the bike but I got sight of her at about 3km into the run and gained a lot of ground on her in the last 2. Well pleased with that. Have a great weekend all!

Happy you've slayed that run dragon, Nathalie, and way to finish strong.  Hey - close enough!

I've been an idiot with my Garmin from time to time as well, and there are times where it didn't do what it was supposed to anyway.  At least our modern units are waterproof and you don't need to put them in your swim cap like the old Forerunner 305.  LOL

Got my short bike/run brick in this morning in my new trisuit:

Note that I don't look like that in it (I'm taller and I have hair ...OK and maybe a little thicker on the waistline but it's really slimming).  Love love love Desoto gear.  Not cheap but it lasts forever.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2022-08-27 9:21 AM
2022-08-27 2:51 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Nice race suit! Very colourful, I love it!

Well, ladies and gentlemen, the official times have been published and I am pleased to say that 2022-Nat beat 2018-Nat by 9 seconds. Not a huge difference but considering that 2022 Nat is 4 years older and 4 pounds heavier (or more), it’s pretty good.

One more tri this season, next week. 2022 Nat will attempt to kick 2021 Nat’s arse. Then one more 10k and that’s it for 2022. 11 races, quite a good year

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-08-28 1:30 AM
2022-08-27 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Nice race suit! Very colourful, I love it! Well, ladies and gentlemen, the official times have been published and I am pleased to say that 2022-Nat beat 2018-Nat by 9 seconds. Not a huge difference but considering that 2022 Nat is 4 years older and 4 pounds heavier (or more), it’s pretty good. One more tri this season, next week. 2022 Nat will attempt to kick 2021 Nat’s . Then one more 10k and that’s it for 2022. 11 races, quite a good year

Older, wiser, and faster.  And you have to fake out the sensors here to spell azz or LOL.    

Nice work, Nathalie.  

2022-08-28 1:34 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl Nice race suit! Very colourful, I love it! Well, ladies and gentlemen, the official times have been published and I am pleased to say that 2022-Nat beat 2018-Nat by 9 seconds. Not a huge difference but considering that 2022 Nat is 4 years older and 4 pounds heavier (or more), it’s pretty good. One more tri this season, next week. 2022 Nat will attempt to kick 2021 Nat’s . Then one more 10k and that’s it for 2022. 11 races, quite a good year

Older, wiser, and faster.  And you have to fake out the sensors here to spell azz or LOL.    

Nice work, Nathalie.  

Faster at swimming, the other 2 were a little slower. Race report coming soon.

I just edited it and used the British word, that’ll show them!

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-08-28 1:35 AM

2022-08-28 6:41 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
2022-08-28 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl for your reading pleasure https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Sounds like a fun race, Nathalie - and nice work on the podium finish!

2022-08-28 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Finished up our 5K this morning, or as I call it "how to not pace a 5K".  First time in a run race since 2014, so had no idea what I was doing pace-wise and it was more of a fitness test anyway.  I would have liked to finish stronger but it was really humid and a hilly course.  That 26:58 finish puts me at a VDOT of 35, which feels a little low but hey you want a higher one then race faster.  LOL

I'll do an overbuilt race report at some point - being an only child and all I like writing about myself. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2022-08-28 9:16 AM
2022-08-28 9:25 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Finished up our 5K this morning, or as I call it "how to not pace a 5K".  First time in a run race since 2014, so had no idea what I was doing pace-wise and it was more of a fitness test anyway.  I would have liked to finish stronger but it was really humid and a hilly course.  That 26:58 finish puts me at a VDOT of 35, which feels a little low but hey you want a higher one then race faster.  LOL

I'll do an overbuilt race report at some point - being an only child and all I like writing about myself. 

Please do, I am a middle child and love reading about others

What’s VDOT?

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-08-28 10:03 AM
2022-08-28 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Please do, I am middle child and love reading about others What’s VDOT?

VDOT is a measure of running fitness developed by Jack Daniels (well, I guess he didnt develop the measure but he coined the abbreviation).  It's associated with various race result paces across all distances.  You race, find your VDOT number, then you base your training paces in different zones based on that.  So with my VDOT of 35 I should be doing slow runs around 11:00/mile, tempo around 9 min/mile, intervals at 8:30 and speed work a little under 8:00/mile.  I've been training a bit quick than that but in that ballpark.

I think with a flatter course and not Florida-like weather I have a sub-26 in me right now.  

2022-08-28 10:00 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I like Jack Daniel’s with coke

Found a VDOT calculator, entered my best 10k time and got 37.8

Interesting to see that I should run a marathon in 4 hours. Not in this world!

I think you have a sub 26 in you, so do I guess those estimate are based on a flat course

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-08-28 10:35 AM
2022-08-28 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl I like Jack Daniel’s with coke Found a VDOT calculator, entered my best 10k time and got 37.8 Interesting

LOL we joke about that all the time.  I can't stand mash whiskey...too sweet.  Here's the table from the book (he doesn't use decimals, just whole numbers):

2022-08-28 10:39 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Added to my reply at the same time as you posted

Interesting to see that I should run a marathon in 4 hours. Not in this world!

I think you have a sub 26 in you, so do I guess those estimate are based on a flat course

I don’t like proper whiskey, too smokey and I’d get shot if I put coke in it!
2022-08-28 5:44 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Gretchen Love the tattoo, so much more unique than the generic M dot that those who do the branded races get. Maybe I'll get one after the next Ironman... when ever that is.

MikeSounds like a productive week of fitness testing. And cool that you and Nicole got a real life meet. And I like that tri suit, I'm a big fan of colour rather than the generic black/white tri kits.

NathalieCongratulations on another well run race. Way to kick 2018 Nats arse.

vDot I choose not to discuss mine, as it would destroy the illusion that I am in anyway athletic. Nor will I be discussing VO2 max. FTP I will admit too, 245 last time I tested I did a ramp test. It's lower than that now however after the winter of illnesses and training breaks. However we won't be discussing FTP in W/kg either. Haha.

Me Biggest week of SBR since March. That's good. 4 hours 24 minutes total. That's embarrassing 4 and a half hours is my highest total in 5 months, so not so good.

But it was another small step forwards. 5 days on, 2 days rest. 4 zwift rides, 2hr 15min, 4 runs, 2hr 09min. Would have liked 1-2 more short easy midweek runs. But completed most of what I planned. So a small win.

33 days till half marathon 1 of the summer series. That's the same series that got condensed into 5 race in 9 weeks at the end of last summer due to covid lockdowns. Hopefully we get to stay on schedule this year, and the 5 races are October - April like planned. When I entered the series back in May I wasn't expecting quite so much time off with the various flus. Was planning to be many more steps further ahead than I am. I think I might die going up the North Head climb. Hopefully by race 2 in December I will have built back a bit of fitness to get close to last years times.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43