BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-09-30 1:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Qua17

OK - This bio is taking longer than a Stephen King novel to finish. Hopefully - today is the day! I had the day off (slept til 1) and I'm hoping to get it done before heading out on a ride.

Thanks for sharing. Great goals to have. Sleep apnea sounds like a nigthmare. Once you get rid of that, life will be so much better!

Not dying of a heart attack is also a great goal but looking good on the wedding photos is the main thing. Congrats on your engagement!

Accountability is great. I often think about the group as I am out training, it’s a great help

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-10-01 7:44 AM

2022-09-30 6:36 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Hello, all.  Hurricane is staying offshore here so just windy and rainy for today then the weather improves a lot.  Getting a massage today, so that doesn't require good weather.

@Andrew:  done hobbling and going to get in some unstructured training the next few days during our vacation.  Looking forward to a beach run for sure.

@Dave:  thanks for the bio and keep up the good work - we're watching you! 

@Nicole:  looks like your race (and my daughter's the next day) are going to be a mess from this storm.  That sucks.

@Nathalie:  hope you feel better and sounds like you're doing the right thing by chilling out a bit

@Gretchen:  you're crazy  (based on my observations of your bench-making, stump-grinding, dead-body-protecting, traveling, and racing insanity)  

2022-09-30 10:08 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

Gretchen Hopefully you are getting on top of your list of things to do before leaving the country for 9 months. Did you sort what you're doing with your bike?

I've bought a bike case and am going to take it on the plane with me. I hired an "expediter" at the Egyptian end to facilitate bringing my bike in through customs, so hopefully all will be okay. I plan to buy a trainer when I arrived in Cairo.
2022-09-30 12:16 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by nicole14e

I've had a pretty lazy week. I guess you could consider it a taper, though mostly it's just that I haven't had time to do much (also my watch told me after my 12 mile bike and 8 mile run I needed 66 hours to recover...)

Yes, let’s call it taper. And good for you for listening to your watch.

Mine said 67 hours after my slow 10k on Saturday which I totally ignored by riding 100minutes and swimming 15min in the (getting colder) lake on Sunday, followed by a ride to work (on my new E-bike, doesn’t count as training but it’ fun) on Monday. Then on Tuesday, I found myself in bed with a fever.(which I still have). Maybe if I listened, I would have been fitter to fight this bug (it’s the C-bug, my husband insisted I did a test). Or not. We’ll never know

I've gone on some walks, and hope to do a little yoga today, then will do a short bike and/or run tomorrow and Friday. Packet pickup is Friday afternoon. I discussed diet with my nutritionist for Friday and Saturday so am honed in on that a bit, though I still need to figure out what I'm making for my pre-race dinner. She was funny, she said her advice for this is the opposite of normal. No vegetables, no fiber, avoid fats the morning of the race.

I get the no fiber bit but why no fat on race morning?

So sorry to hear you're sick! Hopefully you're on the mend. And yeah, I don't think you "ignoring" your watch made a difference. Quite honestly, I almost never listen to how much recovery it says I need

Apparently fat slows digestion

Edited by nicole14e 2022-09-30 12:18 PM
2022-09-30 12:38 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all. This has been a week. I'm feeling a little nervous for tomorrow. I haven't done any workouts this week, though ultimately I think it should be fine b/c I have a solid base. I've still moved some, walking to an from work (mile and a half each way), volleyball Monday, but have just got caught up with work and had different things each evening this week.

Obviously the weather also has me a little anxious. My friend sent me something yesterday that said waterspouts could happen. I had to google what that is, and it's terrifying. It's basically a water tornado. I have sharknado as a visual...
I think if that's possible they will cancel the swim, which would stink but also is not a huge deal. All in all, we'll see how it goes!
2022-09-30 12:40 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
DQ, great bio and we're so thrilled to have you back and I know I can speak for everyone that we are all here and happy to support you in your really important goals!

2022-10-01 7:01 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good luck today, Nicole.  Hopefully the weather cooperates for you.

2022-10-01 7:45 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

You’ll crush it!
2022-10-01 9:34 AM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Good morning!
My tri was cancelled. I'm super disappointed. I feel like I trained so much and although I'm happy to be in shape, I feel like it was for nothing. I might need to find another race nearby lol
That being said, there was also some relief. The weather was nasty starting yesterday afternoon and was pretty much supposed to rain straight through to tmrw. The wind was pretty intense too. So overall I think it was the right decision, I'm just a little disappointed.
2022-10-01 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

You’ll crush it!

Just saw on runsignup that it was cancelled.  

2022-10-01 2:14 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Good morning!
My tri was cancelled. I'm super disappointed. I feel like I trained so much and although I'm happy to be in shape, I feel like it was for nothing. I might need to find another race nearby lol
That being said, there was also some relief. The weather was nasty starting yesterday afternoon and was pretty much supposed to rain straight through to tmrw. The wind was pretty intense too. So overall I think it was the right decision, I'm just a little disappointed.

Of that’s a shame. Obviously the right decision considering the weather but still frustrating for you and others who trained for it.
Hope you can find another one.

2022-10-01 5:16 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Good morning! My tri was cancelled. I'm super disappointed. I feel like I trained so much and although I'm happy to be in shape, I feel like it was for nothing. I might need to find another race nearby lol That being said, there was also some relief. The weather was nasty starting yesterday afternoon and was pretty much supposed to rain straight through to tmrw. The wind was pretty intense too. So overall I think it was the right decision, I'm just a little disappointed.

You can do Waterman's tomorrow morning with my daughter!

Other option is Pleasant Landing which I'm debating doing on my way back up from HHI.  

2022-10-01 5:26 PM
in reply to: #5283029

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole—sorry to hear about your race. That just stinks.

I rode five decades today (aka 50miles of a century ride). It was one of the worst experiences of my life. I agreed to ride this century with a friend from high school I haven’t seen in 25 years. She didn’t train as much as she would have liked to, but hey, she has kids and it is a beautiful day so whatever…I told her to set the pace. Her pace was somewhere around 12mph on a down hill. It was HARD to ride that slow. It was an awful event too. The roads were terrible—giant potholes, random gravel patches, etc. they hadn’t done any community notification, so no one knew why there were suddenly 450 cyclists on the roads…and they were ticked off about it! The route was horrific. We rode around two different malls (on Saturday!) and through a hospital campus. At one point we had to make a left hand turn across five lanes of traffic and then immediately get on the on-ramp for an interstate. We didn’t get on the interstate (passed through to another huge intersection to take a left at), but it was insanely dangerous to be riding on the on ramp that was the last straw for us—we pulled out at the next aid station, which was at 50 miles. This route was clearly constructed by someone who either had never ridden a bike or had never stepped away from google maps. So many left turns and so many dangerous places where cars were zooming by at 80mph. It was scary and stupid. The one upside was that they had Halloween candy at the aid stations, so I spent the time waiting for our ride back eating nerds, which I haven’t had in years and absolutely love.
2022-10-01 6:30 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen - wow.  I don't do a lot of riding on roads like that...frightening and how does someone organize a ride like that?   But...yay Nerds!!!  (I'm more of a SweetTarts guy but Nerds are cool).  

2022-10-02 2:11 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I rode five decades today (aka 50miles of a century ride). It was one of the worst experiences of my life. I agreed to ride this century with a friend from high school I haven’t seen in 25 years. She didn’t train as much as she would have liked to, but hey, she has kids and it is a beautiful day so whatever…I told her to set the pace. Her pace was somewhere around 12mph on a down hill. It was HARD to ride that slow. It was an awful event too. The roads were terrible—giant potholes, random gravel patches, etc. they hadn’t done any community notification, so no one knew why there were suddenly 450 cyclists on the roads…and they were ticked off about it! The route was horrific. We rode around two different malls (on Saturday!) and through a hospital campus. At one point we had to make a left hand turn across five lanes of traffic and then immediately get on the on-ramp for an interstate. We didn’t get on the interstate (passed through to another huge intersection to take a left at), but it was insanely dangerous to be riding on the on ramp that was the last straw for us—we pulled out at the next aid station, which was at 50 miles. This route was clearly constructed by someone who either had never ridden a bike or had never stepped away from google maps. So many left turns and so many dangerous places where cars were zooming by at 80mph. It was scary and stupid. The one upside was that they had Halloween candy at the aid stations, so I spent the time waiting for our ride back eating nerds, which I haven’t had in years and absolutely love.

Sounds awful! Good call not finishing it. At least you got to spend some time with your old friend.

2022-10-02 2:11 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Sounds awful! Good call not finishing it. At least you got to spend some time with your old friend.

2022-10-02 2:19 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Nat vs Covid, day 6.

No fever for a 2nd day but still feel like shite

Today my son turns 18.. (18!)
I was planning on letting him beat me at golf but I’ll change that to taking him to the driving range and letting him bore me with explanations about how to hit a slice on purpose and the 101 ways his swing is the best thing since sliced bread.

Have a great Sunday!

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-10-02 10:56 AM
2022-10-02 5:57 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Good morning!

Sorry to hear that your race was canned. Probably the right decision with the awful weather, but still super anticlimactic for you. Hopefully you find an alternative race of some sort to put all those fitness gains you've made to use.
2022-10-02 6:06 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Sounds like a great day for a ride /scarcasam

At least you got to spend some time with an old friend. And isn't it nice that with no specific preparation you can jump on your bike, ride a casual 50 miles and still complain that your having to ride it too slow...

Ironman fitness is cool.
2022-10-02 6:41 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I finished race 1 of the 5 race half marathon summer series on Sunday. Here's my recap (doesn't qualify as a race report following Gretchen and Mikes efforts)

My winter training has been poor. My winter diet has been poor. Over the last 4 or 5 weeks I've turned things around and am trending in the right direction again. But I'm fatter, and with less miles under my shoes than any previous half marathon I've attempted. So expectations were not high.

My longest training run has been about 10km in 90 minutes, using a very conservative run/walk strategy. So 21.1km is a big step into the unknown. The plan is to use a 1:1 run:walk on the flats and descents, and power walk the climbs (4 of note per lap). My expectation was a painfully slow 9-9:30/km average resulting in a 3hr 10- 3hr 20 min run. The good news is race day has much better weather than expected. Saturdays storm has blown through, and the rain didn't arrive again until about lunchtime. So we managed to get the race in under clear skies.

Kms 0-5: Followed the plan pretty well. run/walked at my expected paces on the flats, power walked up the first 2 climbs. Got a bit carried away on the descents tho and ran the whole way back to the flat. A little bit faster than I expected to be but felt good. Pace 8:43/km.

Kms 5-10: First time up the big climb (North head) a long power walk up, and around the grass/mud track (a bit nervous of slipping in the mud and injuring myself) Once back onto the road heading down ran the rest of the descent, then back into run:walking on the flat. This is the longest flat section of the run from km 8-13. So the plan was to try and bank a bit of time before the 2nd round of climbing. Slower than the first 5km, but close to my expected pace. Slightly ahead of my 3:10 prediction at half way Pace 9:11/km

Kms 10- 15: Run:walk went well till the first hill, power walk up was more painful and slower than the first time round, this time on the descents I stuk to the run:walk plan. Slowing down, the run intervals are slower than lap 1, but still on for my expected time. Pace 9:22/km

Kms 15-20: Starts with run:walk intervals down one of the smaller hills. Definitely slowing down, close to the bottom of the hill I had a slight roll of my ankle. And at that point I pretty much gave up. I decided to have a bit of a walk to make sure I hadn't done any real damage, and never started running again. Yes I was running slow, but it would have been faster than walking. Pace 11:26/km (11 minutes slower than my 2n'd slowest 5km split)

Kms 20-21: Who cares if I finish in 3:20 or 3:25. May as well just keep walking it in. Pace 10:54/km

End result 3 hours 22 minutes and 10 seconds.

Strava file if anyone's interested: https://www.strava.com/activities/7896704751

Final thoughts.
I could have got home 5-10 minutes faster if I had kept up the run:walk after rolling my ankle. And I definitely used it as an excuse with myself to stop pushing and walk it home. But, 24 hours later the side of my foot, where I rolled it is still a little sore. So I think I probably made the right choice to not risk further injury. Even if I made it for the wrong reasons.

There is a lot of work to do this summer. I am so far away from where I want to be by March's 70.3 it isn't funny. My next race is half marathon #2 in 9 weeks, its an easier (flatter, but not pancake) course. That combined with 9 more weeks weight loss and improved training means there is no excuse not to have a decent improvement. Goal is under 3 hours.
2022-10-03 3:44 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for the report Andrew. Sorry about your ankle and yes, good call not running after you rolled it (although I see what you mean about making that decision for the wrong reason).

Early days, you will get better at pushing through pain, just like I did towards the end of the season (as long as it’s not real pain, like a rolled ankle, pushing through an injury is plain stupid IMHO)

2022-10-03 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Andrew:  nice job being smart and just getting through the race...hopefully the ankle heals up quickly and you'll be back at it; my ankle is a mess from volleyball so I roll it over all time and luckily it heals quickly

@Nathalie:  you feeling better yet? 

We got extremely lucky here in Hilton Head on Friday, just a bunch of rain and wind and they had it much worse up the coast where Ian made second landfall.  Here it is Monday and the remnants are soaking back home and making it cloudy and chilly down here.  

My daughter raced in a 52 degree monsoon yesterday...I will no longer complain about chilly weather.  She took 3rd in her AG and beat more than 60% of the field overall and was 25/81 female.  Her run stunk like mine so we have that in common right now.  I got in a bike ride Saturday and long walk yesterday - one more week of taking it easy then back to strength and flexibility program in the fall.

Hope everyone has a great week!  

2022-10-03 7:51 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

(as long as it’s not real pain, like a rolled ankle, pushing through an injury is plain stupid IMHO)

Pushing through an injury is stupid. Refusing to acknowledge there is an injury is totally different and perfectly acceptable
2022-10-03 7:53 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

@Andrew:  nice job being smart and just getting through the race...hopefully the ankle heals up quickly and you'll be back at it; my ankle is a mess from volleyball so I roll it over all time and luckily it heals quickly

Thanks, 2 days post HM the foot is feeling fine again, so should be on the bike tonight and a short run tomorrow morning.
2022-10-04 6:52 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by Rollergirl (as long as it’s not real pain, like a rolled ankle, pushing through an injury is plain stupid IMHO)
Pushing through an injury is stupid. Refusing to acknowledge there is an injury is totally different and perfectly acceptable

That about describes my entire athletic career.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43