BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-10-18 9:32 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
@Gretchen - Glad you made it to Egypt. I plan on reading you entire entry afterword tonight but I wanted to wish you a big Good Luck! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Hi All - Just a quick note to let you know that I got challenged yesterday by my accountability person to sign up for some races next year. I started off with my A races - two Olympic tris in August and September, plus, I signed up for a 10k in October and a Half Mary in November.

Progress!

2022-10-18 11:33 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by Qua17 @Gretchen - Glad you made it to Egypt. I plan on reading you entire entry afterword tonight but I wanted to wish you a big Good Luck! I can't wait to hear how it goes. Hi All - Just a quick note to let you know that I got challenged yesterday by my accountability person to sign up for some races next year. I started off with my A races - two Olympic tris in August and September, plus, I signed up for a 10k in October and a Half Mary in November. Progress!

Wow, Dave.  Jumping in with both feet, huh?  I also have four races planned for next year (haven't signed up because they haven't opened registration for most of them yet).  Sprint in March, Oly in June, Sprint in August, Oly in September.  Good work pushing on the bike!

2022-10-18 2:47 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew - Your pain sunroom looks great! Looking forward to hearing how that goes! And congrats on the weight loss. Definitely heading in the right direction!

DQ - way to bounce back!

Mike - Sounds like a great week!

Gretchen - So glad you made it safe, and have yet to be called an abomination. It's the little things! Excited to continue hearing about your adventures. Stay safe!
2022-10-18 2:50 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I had a pretty lazy weekend overall. Played some football. Otherwise avoided working out like the plague for some reason...so unmotivated.

I have been feeling really tight and sore lately, especially in my neck, shoulders, and hamstrings. Did 30 minutes of yoga yesterday, and this morning did a 10 minute climb ride on Peloton, followed by 20 min of yoga. Gonna try to fit in at least 20 minutes of yoga each day this week, even if it's all that I do in the day, to try and start feeling better. I'm leaving Thursday evening for Florida for the weekend to visit some friends, so hoping to get some good weather down there! Though it's been pretty nice here actually.
2022-10-18 5:34 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Qua17 @Gretchen - Glad you made it to Egypt. I plan on reading you entire entry afterword tonight but I wanted to wish you a big Good Luck! I can't wait to hear how it goes. Hi All - Just a quick note to let you know that I got challenged yesterday by my accountability person to sign up for some races next year. I started off with my A races - two Olympic tris in August and September, plus, I signed up for a 10k in October and a Half Mary in November. Progress!

Wow, Dave.  Jumping in with both feet, huh?  I also have four races planned for next year (haven't signed up because they haven't opened registration for most of them yet).  Sprint in March, Oly in June, Sprint in August, Oly in September.  Good work pushing on the bike!

Good call signing up for some races. Long time to go, but having that date on the calendar helps so much keeping the motivation ticking along.

I've also got 4 races signed up for next year. The final 3 half marathons of the summer series in Feb, March and April, and the 70.3 in March.

I've also got another 6 (4x 5/10km, 1x HM, 1x70.3) penciled in that Mrs Bullfrog doesn't know about yet. Haha. Shhhh.
2022-10-18 5:41 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Gretchen

Be careful with those sidewalks, you don't want to cancel your world championships plans due to a broken wrist or anything like that. Looks like pretty place to go for a run tho. I'm always looking for a river or beach to run beside if I go for a run when away on business.

I agree with Mike about the Mag trainer. I had 2 non branded ones that got years of use. You can absolutely get good workouts out of them, but man they can be noisy, hopefully waking roommates/neighbors isn't too much of an issue for you. Have you got a trainer tire for your back wheel? If not I'd recommend investing in one, rather than eating your nice tubeless ones.

Do you upload your runs to strava? I'm nosey and am curious to stalk tri training in Egypt if you don't mind.

2022-10-19 1:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

Gretchen

Be careful with those sidewalks, you don't want to cancel your world championships plans due to a broken wrist or anything like that. Looks like pretty place to go for a run tho. I'm always looking for a river or beach to run beside if I go for a run when away on business.

I agree with Mike about the Mag trainer. I had 2 non branded ones that got years of use. You can absolutely get good workouts out of them, but man they can be noisy, hopefully waking roommates/neighbors isn't too much of an issue for you. Have you got a trainer tire for your back wheel? If not I'd recommend investing in one, rather than eating your nice tubeless ones.

Do you upload your runs to strava? I'm nosey and am curious to stalk tri training in Egypt if you don't mind.

I was being so careful! I don't really know what happened! Walking in Cairo is an extreme sport to start with--uneven sidewalks, missing sidewalks, curbs that are 18" high with no cutouts (handicapped accessibility is NOT at thing in Egypt), feral animals, etc. Most of the time people just walk in the street, as it is so much easier. You just have to worry about getting clipped by a car then.

I had my first ride on the mag trainer this morning. It was a little rough, but after I figured out the irregular noise I was causing was actually due to the lack of smoothness in my pedaling, it got better. I guess this thing might teach me how to pedal the full revolution, if nothing else! It was a bit loud, but I didn't think too awful and for right now, I don't have any roommates--or I think neighbors, but I'm not entirely sure about that one. I had thought to drag the thing out to the balcony, but I'm probably already the interest of the entire neighborhood, so maybe I shouldn't give them something else to intensely watch--white woman in shorts would be a huge offense to most Egyptians.

No trainer tire (here!). I asked at two different bike shops about getting a trainer wheel to just swap between that and my good wheels for training and both said it wasn't a big deal. Of course...they are the ones who sell me the tires, so maybe they have a vested interest in me wearing my tires out. I think obtaining the trainer in Egypt was probably the biggest miracle I could have hoped for, so maybe not pushing my luck trying to find a trainer tire. The LBS had to dig this trainer out from under the staircase to sell it to me--it doesn't look like a common thing here. I went to four bike shops before I found one.

Sorry--no Strava for me. I used it years ago, but then had a student stalking me using it, so I stopped completely. Very creepy to have someone consistently show up in random isolated places when you're used to not seeing anyone. I'm a woman of habits and routines, and she was using it to predict where I would be and then go there and wait for me. She never did anything, but it was super creepy to have her show up out of no where on a long ride when I am used to not seeing anyone for hours (or miles...choose your metric!).

Edited by drfoodlove 2022-10-19 1:32 AM
2022-10-19 1:35 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

@Gretchen - Glad you made it to Egypt. I plan on reading you entire entry afterword tonight but I wanted to wish you a big Good Luck! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Hi All - Just a quick note to let you know that I got challenged yesterday by my accountability person to sign up for some races next year. I started off with my A races - two Olympic tris in August and September, plus, I signed up for a 10k in October and a Half Mary in November.

Progress!

Way to go Dave! Signing up for races is a huge step...literally putting your money where your mouth is!

It may not appeal to you, but I find that a countdown calendar helps me keep the goal in mind too. I have one made out of these little magnetic tiles I keep on the fridge. There is a base unit that just says "days until" and then the numbers can be placed in the slots on the base unit to show XX days until. I use the base to hang something to remind me of what I'm counting down to (like a flyer or something similar). I change it every day. It really drives home the impending nature of events for me.
2022-10-19 1:43 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I did a 40' ride on my new trainer this morning. Other than 1.) trainer rides suck and 2.) it was a bit noisy, it all went fine...except my saddle--it keeps tilting backward. I'm not sure what is going on with it. This happened during my 50mile ride a few weeks ago and I was able to pry it into a rough position for the remainder of the ride, but I don't like the pattern. It is rotating around the bolt that clamps the saddle "sled" (I don't know what it is actually called) to the seat post. Do those things wear out? I tightened it last night to the 12nm acceptable for my bike seat post and I'm hoping that will fix the issue--that it just somehow got a little loose. Who knows.

Yesterday I did the first session of my new strength training plan (TP plan--nothing I devised). Holy heck have I lost some of my strength over the last few months! I am glad I started early! My only complaint, other than my own weakness, is that the plan calls for A LOT of equipment. Yesterday's workout required resistance bands, kettleballs, dumb bells, a step, a weight bench, and a Swiss ball. The next workout requires an Olympic bar and plate weight set, kettleballs, resistance bands, a balance disc, and a cable weight stack. Who has all of that at home?!?! Ok...I guess some folks do, but I don't! When I bought the plan (it was only $45, so I'm not out that much cash), it said it was a minimal equipment plan. I don't consider all of that minimal. Resistance bands are minimal, maybe a dumb bell or two, but an Olympic bar and weight plates? That seems a bit much. Anyway, I was able to modify the exercises both for my available equipment and my current strength level for a good workout session. One of my goals this season is to really stick with my strength training. It helps, I know it does, but it is always the first thing to go when I get time crunched.
2022-10-19 1:48 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

I had a pretty lazy weekend overall. Played some football. Otherwise avoided working out like the plague for some reason...so unmotivated.

I have been feeling really tight and sore lately, especially in my neck, shoulders, and hamstrings. Did 30 minutes of yoga yesterday, and this morning did a 10 minute climb ride on Peloton, followed by 20 min of yoga. Gonna try to fit in at least 20 minutes of yoga each day this week, even if it's all that I do in the day, to try and start feeling better. I'm leaving Thursday evening for Florida for the weekend to visit some friends, so hoping to get some good weather down there! Though it's been pretty nice here actually.

Nicole, I struggle with tightness and soreness in my neck, shoulders, and arms. I have been seeing an occupational therapist for a few sessions to help work out the issues and she has suggested that instead of doing one longer session of yoga or stretching in a day, to do a bunch of short sessions--like 5 minutes or less. Essentially, she has suggested in every hour, I take 5 minutes to stretch something in rotation (shoulders, neck, arms, then repeat). A lot of what she has suggested is really to stretch out nerves, which get irritated and then cause the muscles to tense and cause soreness/tightness. These are called nerve glides and have helped a lot.
2022-10-19 7:15 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Great updates, Gretchen.  Yeah, I'd be careful about hanging out in shorts on the balcony in Egypt.  As for the trainer tire, just blow through the one you have on there and get a new one when you get home.  I get it you don't want to waste a $50-75 tire but maybe it's worth it not dealing with the aggravation of finding one.  Or see if they have any old used ones.  I'm assuming you have pedal- or crank-based power, right?  The power curves on those mag trainers are pretty variable vs. something like a Kinetic fluid.  And I'd be pizzed about the TP strength training plan - limited equipment HA.  At least you're figuring it out.  Welcome to the strength training club!!

@Nicole/Gretchen:  count me in the stiff neck club.  I know it's probably desk posture related to some degree and I do some stretching throughout the day (in addition to my formal yoga sessions).  It's way better than it used to be where sometimes 8-10 years ago I I wouldn't be able to swim because of it.

Yesterday for me was a 6 AM treadmill run and leg work, followed by a quick swim.  Today was sprint practice on Zwift and arms...the ST session didn't go very well but that happens sometimes.  Bikram tomorrow. 

2022-10-19 2:58 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Nicole, I struggle with tightness and soreness in my neck, shoulders, and arms. I have been seeing an occupational therapist for a few sessions to help work out the issues and she has suggested that instead of doing one longer session of yoga or stretching in a day, to do a bunch of short sessions--like 5 minutes or less. Essentially, she has suggested in every hour, I take 5 minutes to stretch something in rotation (shoulders, neck, arms, then repeat). A lot of what she has suggested is really to stretch out nerves, which get irritated and then cause the muscles to tense and cause soreness/tightness. These are called nerve glides and have helped a lot.

That's a great idea! Maybe I will try setting an alarm every hour or so to remind me and see how that goes. I'm worried it will be disruptive to my productivity, but honestly, at this point, it doesn't really matter! Also something I need when I'm being lazy and just watching TV!
2022-10-20 10:45 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by drfoodlove

That's a great idea! Maybe I will try setting an alarm every hour or so to remind me and see how that goes. I'm worried it will be disruptive to my productivity, but honestly, at this point, it doesn't really matter! Also something I need when I'm being lazy and just watching TV!

I've read (and often fail to practice myself!) that if you take short breaks every so often, you are actually more productive than if you try to blast through something. A friend of mine uses 25/5, where she works 25 minutes, then takes a 5 minute break. I've actually done this before, with great success. My problems are 1.) actually setting the 25 minute timer; 2.) respecting that I'm supposed to take the break after 25 minutes; and 3.) getting back to work after the break, which I usually spend screwing around on social media (and not doing any sort of stretching or moving or anything). So...it seems my problem is all of it.
2022-10-20 10:56 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
It has been a day! Finally figured out a workable, if expensive, pool situation here. I bought a month pass to the gym/pool/relaxation spa at the Semiremeise Intercontinental Hotel. It was about three times what I pay for my own home gym membership, but the law of supply and demand is in full effect around here. The pool is small (25'), but they offered to obtain a swim tether for me to use, which is great. I am going to have a friend bring me one anyway, just in case I opt for a different location after I come back from the field, but it is awesome they are trying to make me happy (although at the price I paid, they should be bending over backwards to make me happy!). I didn't get in a swim today, as there were a bunch of kids in the pool and no clear way to negotiate my way across without having to dodge and weave among them...hmmm...could have be useful for mass start practice! I did run on the treadmill for 50' and then did day two of my strength training program. The gym had all the equipment I needed except the Swiss ball. I can already tell I am going to feel some of those sets tomorrow. Treadmill run wasn't ideal, but I opted to get in a bit more sleep this morning instead of getting up for a run. I had a terrible night of sleep--woke up at 12:30 and didn't fall back asleep until after 3. That make the 5am alarm a bit of a struggle. I figured I'd miss the run, because sure as hockey sticks I'm not trying to run in Cairo after about 7am--traffic is ridiculous here! Gym treadmill to the rescue! Added bonus--I didn't fall, or fall off, which is my normal problem with treadmills.

Friday is the first day of the weekend here and it is the Islam holy day, so Friday morning is usually pretty chill. I'm planning to swim first thing at the pool at 9am when they open (which they think is early enough for a pre-breakfast swim according to their advertisements!) and then colonize a chair poolside the rest of the day! Okay...that is a pipe dream--I have to come back to do some work tomorrow, because today was a total wash out in terms of work. My breakfast meeting was three hour long, so by the time I finished up the gym and everything, it was already 4:30. Time is weird here--everything takes infinitely longer than you think it should. It takes a bit to get used to. A friend of mine makes her to-do list and then tears it into half. Then, she feels like she succeed if she gets half the things on the half list done in a single day.
2022-10-20 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  a 25' pool?  I've seen backyard pools bigger than that.  I'm lucky that my hotel I stay at in CT has a 15-yard one - it's fine for a short swim or working on drills and stuff but no way could it serve as a primary pool.  Glad you found a gym, which will help with both running and hitting your ST goals.  You are nothing if not resourceful.  Good luck!

2022-10-20 1:13 PM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Yeah, 25 feet. And it is oddly shaped too. Like a kinda bloby +. It is on the roof, so I’m guessing that might have something to do with size and shape.

2022-10-20 3:19 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Gretchen I know you've been before, so you're a bit used to it. But what an experience you're having, what a totally different world. You'll be able to write a book about your trials and adventures triathlon training over there. Good that you found a gym to use, ST equipment, treadmill to avoid dodgy pavements and a pool. You're sorted. I think I'd be living on the treadmill from what you've described about running on the roads there.

25 foot pool? I suppose you will be a world champion flip turner by the time your Egypt experience is over.

For bike parts, I've got no idea how easy or hard it would be to get things across the border (I'd guess probably hard so could be more unhelpful advice), but I buy a lot of cycling gear from the UK websites (a lot cheaper than local) wiggle.co.uk and chainreactioncycles.com They ship all over the world so could give you some options.

2022-10-20 3:22 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93
Yesterday for me was a 6 AM treadmill run and leg work, followed by a quick swim.  Today was sprint practice on Zwift and arms...the ST session didn't go very well but that happens sometimes.  Bikram tomorrow. 

Nice job getting it done Mike.
2022-10-20 3:31 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
A good week for me so far.

3 Zwift rides, 1 sweet spot, 1 Z2 easy, and 1 Z2 long (90 minutes)
3 runs, 2 bricks after the shorter rides and 1 stand alone. All on the tread mill
1 swim, my first since May. Nice and short to ease myself back into it, 10x50m with 20 sec rests. Was Ok, but my arms and shoulders very much let me know I haven't used them like that in a long time.
2 stretching/foam rolling sessions. Trying to avoid aggravating my IT band.

a 60 minute zwift tonight, followed by another brick run. And a 90 minute long run either Saturday or Sunday morning still to go. And maybe 1 more stretch... hate it, but know I need it.

Safe to say week 1 of the treadmill is a great success for helping get some miles in. (Yes, I am pleased with myself)

Have a good weekend team.
2022-10-20 6:32 PM
in reply to: #5283230

User image

, Vermont
Hi all!
@ Gretchen: so glad to hear you and your bike made it and are safe! That’s great! Sad about the 25’ pool but could you get a swim harness maybe? I know it’s not the same, but maybe better than flip-turning every third stroke?

@ Dave: glad to see you’re back at it!!

@ Nicole: wait… which Nicole had Covid? Hahahaha! I think it was New Nicole.. anyway, glad you’re feeling better.

@ Andrew: nice pain cave! Workouts are looking good!

@ Mike: I see your workouts on Strava, way to crush!

I haven’t had much to report so have just been stalking and keeping up.
2022-10-20 6:37 PM
in reply to: #5283234

User image

, Vermont
Fat-fingered that one before I finished.
Haven’t ridden my bike outside this summer yet… yup, that beautiful new gravel bike is still sitting there. Shame. On. Me. We spent a lot of time at camp this summer and when I was actually home the weather was typically horrible. We did just get a treadmill a month ago and I ran on it a few times the last time I was home so I’m starting from scratch. I do about three miles or so and have been trying to get some strength work in. Ski season is coming and I’m psyched. I just started my gym pass back up after freezing last October after Ironman. I hope to get back in the pool, I really do enjoy swimming, it just feels nice.
Off to sleep, getting up in 5 hours to work.

2022-10-20 6:59 PM
in reply to: #5283235

User image

, Vermont
@ Gretchen: I just saw they’ve got you set up with a tether for the pool. Cool.
2022-10-21 8:39 AM
in reply to: #5283236

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Thankfully I was looking at the (huge) hot tub with the jets off yesterday the hotel pool is 25m, although still the weird x shape. It is also heated…a heated outdoor rooftop pool in Egypt. I’m going to need a bigger water bottle!!

Did a 55’ ride this morning at 5 and then went to the pool at 9 and did 2200m. I actually pulled my bike out on the terrace because I realized I’m on the 9th floor and there is only one building nearby that is taller than that. That building looks like it might be empty (many downtown buildings in Cairo are), so no one can actually see me anyway. Plus…it is my home, so there is some flexibility in the modesty rules in your home.

You guys will like this. The gym is in a pretty posh hotel, so they provide towels, robes, water, face masks (that I’ve yet to see an Egyptian wear), and…paper underwear. Yesterday they had the women’s locker room stocked with mens towels, apparently. The bag had some black shorts in it like boxers. Today I got purple brief-like things, but then also another article of paper/fabric was also included in the bag and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what it is supposed to be! There is a tiny pouch with elastic in the middle and then two long (3’ish) arms of fabric. I would say bra, but there is only one pouch and it really isn’t big enough for most women anyway. I have no idea what this thing is, but it has to be some kind of undergarment of some kind.
2022-10-21 10:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  that pool makes way more sense.  Good find.  As for the mystery cloth...maybe it's like a workout hijab or something and the pouch is for storing stuff?  No idea otherwise.  Your gym is fan-cy.  I thought I had it good at mine with towels, then that went away went COVID hit (it's back) but I switched to a cheaper pool/gym.

Speaking of my cheaper pool, I went to one of them this morning to find it dark and the parking lot empty.  Hmmm...must have a hot water problem or something as there's a note on the door that I didn't bother getting out to read.  I then go to the other location about 10-12 minutes away, and they're also closed/dark.   Hmmm...seems I'm the last to know that the YMCA had employee appreciation day today and closed all the locations.  And I'm too late to swing back to Masters (all three of these pools are within like 10 minutes of each other).  So I went home and had breakfast (I almost went to McDonalds - side note Mike loves McD breakfast...), as I didn't have time to get a workout in and make it back to the yoga studio to pick my wife who I dropped off on my way to the first closed pool.  

Got in a good bike ride late morning with some shorter anaerobic intervals - felt easy so I need to push it a little more.  I'll get my longer swim in tomorrow instead.

Happy Friday everyone! 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2022-10-21 10:50 AM
2022-10-22 12:47 AM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Mike- I love McDonalds breakfast too!! Also…McDonalds is soooooo much better here (because it is a luxury affordable really only by the rich) and there is a McDonalds about two blocks from my apartment. It is hard to resist the temptation, but so far I’ve only been once, the morning after I arrived and had no food in the house.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43