BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-10-11 12:37 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Gretchen, I thought about doing one, but it's really just not the same for me when there aren't other people there competing. I love the excitement and everyone cheering each other on!

Did my FTP test yesterday. I guess they're normally an hour, but for Peloton they're only 20 minutes. Anyway, I went up 21 points since February! I've basically been riding in the top of my zone or in the next zone up, so now I think my zones should be more accurate.

Woke up super early to my cat dry heaving in my bed. Nothing gets me up faster. Then my adrenaline was pumping and I was wide awake, so I just got up and started working. Fading a bit now, but have been really productive so far today. Why I can't always be this productive I do not know.
I think part of it is I talked to my nutritionist yesterday and she convinced me to use instacart to order groceries when I can't make it to the store. I did an order this morning and it already showed up, so I felt some relief and think it launched me into a productive morning! I felt validated needing to use these conveniences so I can focus on other stuff.

2022-10-11 3:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Nat -

Feel better soon. I had Covid a few months back and this strain is still no joke. What are your symptoms? I hope you have plenty of time on the couch scheduled this weekend to recharge those batteries. Oh and beer. Don’t forget beer. That’ll help too! ?? Seriously, it’s good
to be in touch again and I sure do hope you get to feeling better soon!

staying in and watched hockey instead (my team won)

The only beer I drink is non alcoholic but it’s quite ok, actually, much better than it used to be.

Have a great weekend Bdassers!

What kind of hockey are you watching South Africa? Didn’t know hockey was big down there.

What non-alc beer are you drinking? I would agree that gotten a lot better - I just haven’t found one I really like. Do you have any suggestions?

Feel better!

It’s ice-hockey, I live in Sweden, not South Africa.

My favourite non alcoholic beer is currently Heineken but I like the Carlsbeg too. Both lager

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-10-11 3:08 PM
2022-10-11 6:10 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

What non-alc beer are you drinking? I would agree that gotten a lot better - I just haven’t found one I really like. Do you have any suggestions?

Feel better!

I'll give a shout out to peroni 0% as far as non alcoholic beer goes... Although 0% beer is kind of like decaf coffee... There's something not quite right.
2022-10-11 6:22 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Mike We had a mss understanding, the commute to the pool isn't an hour more like 5 minutes from the office. the 60 minutes was the wait at the front door to get inside. which is a nope for me. The gremlins are back at school on Monday tho, so should open up a bit more.

Strength and flexibility is something I need to work on more. I've restarted stretching a few days a week post run, which is something. But want to add some body weight stuff to my week. I'm getting close to 40, the body needs it, even if I don't like it. Other than the hot yoga, what sort of stuff will you be doing?

Gretchen Pool maybe closed because without the cover there's a chance a light bulb blows and glass gets in the water? How did the remainder of your M-I-L visit go?

Nicole 21 Watt increase in your FTP is huge! That's awesome work. You have to find a race of some sort to use all this fitness in. We don't have instacart here, but the supermarkets do deliveries. We have been big converts since the covid started. So convenient, especially with the 2 little ones. Why would anyone go to the shops anymore when you can do it on your phone before bed and the next day all your groceries show up. Embrace the conveniences.

2022-10-12 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nicole:  nice work on the FTP improvement!  Keep at it and you'll crush a bike split next year

@Dave:  when do they think you'll be able to have the procedure done?...and how's your journey going after passing your first test/goal?

@Andrew:  no worries on the confusion LOL - I though you meant traffic was horrible not the line but my thought remains - no way I'd do that

@Nathalie:  feeling any better? 

@Gretchen:  I need to quote this last part " I ended up in the slow group today with the 80yo who couldn't feel her shoulders or upper chest today. It was kinda a stroke-watch situation, which I was fine with. I was tired today--too many beers yesterday and up too late watching football."  First...stroke watch...is that a normal thing where you swim???    Second part - that was me on Monday.

@Jenn:  like Nicole said - where are you?  Don't make us needle you on Strava! 

2022-10-12 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

RE:  Andrew's question on strength and flexibility...after the 10+ years I've had since my back injury I could write a dissertation on it, but the short version is:

• the strength / stretching components of my week become the top priority; so my other stuff is maintenance or the warm-up and cool down to get through/to the other stuff; it's really time-consuming so it's really hard to focus on gains anywhere else
  • I don't mind gaining weight during this block...in fact I'll need to; expect a strength focus to beat you down a little and in different was than SBR
  • body weight stuff would include:
    • squats, static wall squats, kettlebell swings (you can use whatever you have as weights like a gallon of milk or something)
    • walking lunges, both forward and side
    • step ups on stairs, can add weights here too
    • standing calf raises
    • push ups, knee and regular
    • power yoga poses like the warrior ones, one-legged balancing ones like balancing stick or one-legged squats (can add weights here too), downward dog
    • planks!!!!  elbow, pushup, side (static), side (with hip dips)
    • back bridges (static or with hip pulses with feet on the ground, or with your feet on a fitball or chair)
    • you can also do the crossfit-type stuff like mountain climbers, burpees, etc. but I don't because I'm worried about that dynamic movement screwing up my back
  • I get all of my power "gains" in the gym:
    • lower body:  leg press, leg extensions, hamstrings curls, lunges with weights, "the sled" leg press, roman chair
    • upper body:  assisted pull-ups and dips, bench press, cable curls, dumbbell curls, presses, and upright rows
  • for flexibility, I used the Sufferfest yoga videos by Abi Carver - she's on youtube as well and has a bunch of short ones there; I have a couple of the routines from the SF memorized so I don't need to pay Wahoo anymore to get through it

2022-10-12 8:28 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Gretchen:  I need to quote this last part " I ended up in the slow group today with the 80yo who couldn't feel her shoulders or upper chest today. It was kinda a stroke-watch situation, which I was fine with. I was tired today--too many beers yesterday and up too late watching football."  First...stroke watch...is that a normal thing where you swim???    Second part - that was me on Monday.

Y'all don't do stroke watch at your pool?!?! It is kinda a thing with my master's group. We have a couple of 80+yo who swim with us, so it is always kinda in the back of everyone's mind to keep an eye out for signs. Plus, our group has about five doctors, professors, and at least one nurse--we're constantly on the look out for issues. In the spring, our pool had someone die of a heart attack in the pool--not during master's practice.
2022-10-12 8:28 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Nicole--that is an awesome FTP increase!! WAY TO GO!!!
2022-10-12 8:32 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Last swim at my pool for nine months--kinda sad, but also since coach had us do 20x50 pace (barf), I'm glad it is over! I think it was somewhere around 2650yds, but I screwed up my watch during the warmup...and then during the first set...and also during the third set...so...maybe could have been as much as 3000yds. Doesn't matter one way or the other, really. I swam what I swam, whether Garmin/BT/TP knows it or not!

Today is my last day of teaching. I have to finish packing today and then I drive up to St. Louis (about 2 hours) tomorrow before my flight at 6am on Friday. I'll be having dinner with my folks on the way to the airport hotel, which is nice, because today is my dad's birthday (74yrs). It will be nice to see them again before I leave, even though I've spent two of the last three weekends at their house for various reasons.
2022-10-12 1:33 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, what symptoms are you looking for on stroke watch? I feel like this is something everyone should know.
Safe travels!!! Can't believe you will be in Egypt in just 2-3 days! Super excited to hear about your training while you're there though, when you can squeeze in time to fill us in!

Andrew, I will definitely be embracing the conveniences now!

2022-10-13 5:24 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So Nicoles 20W FTP increase inspired me, and last night I did my first FTP test since January. Back then I was my FTP was 235W, and when I returned to training after the winter of discontent (and flus) I guessed a should bit lower and dropped it to 230W, but did not test. And that's where its been the last few months.

I did the Zwift ramp test, and ended up with 234W. So, I'm almost exactly as fit on the bike as I was back at the start of the year. Considering how little intensity I've been doing I'm pretty happy with that. So a slight bump up of my zones, but it's nice to know I'm in the right ballpark.

Gretchen If you see this before you fly, have a safe, pleasant flight. If not hope the travel went smoothly and looking forward to reading about Ironman training in the desert.

Mike Thanks for the strength and flexibility dissertation, theres a bit to think about it. I respect you putting strength first and SBR 2nd for part of the year... I don't know if I have that in me tho. Even if I can realize it's smart.

Have a good weekend all

Edited by bulfrog 2022-10-16 3:15 PM

2022-10-14 3:27 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Great to read about FTP tests and strength and flexibility stuff, thanks!

The only test I did recently was a Covid test and I nailed that one!

As for strength and flexibility, I get out of bed every day, that's pretty good.

The head fog is slowly lifting and I can manage to work full days on only 9 to 10 hours sleep (as opposed to 12 last week) so it's going in the right direction.

Exercise is limited to walking but tomorrow, I will do something related to SBR as I am a volunteer at my town's marathon. Hopefully a day out in the fresh air watching people run will do me good.

Have a nice trip Gretchen!

Nice weekend all!

2022-10-14 7:40 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good morning, all.  Got in a 2000 yard swim this morning (a nice, round number for you, Gretchen...).  In the spirit of strength and speed training, my main set was all fins, paddles or sprints.  Felt pretty good considering I hadn't really been in the water in three weeks.  Short jog planned at lunch as I have an easy schedule most Fridays and can get a double in.

@Nathalie:  your entire post made me laugh; glad you nailed the COVID test and you're getting your S&F training in first thing ), and that you're on the mend

@Andrew:  you're probably in the wrong part of your training plan to bail on SBR anyway; IIRC Friel has the strength priority in Base 1 which is like 4-5 months out from an A race; I'm almost eight months from my next A race with us heading into winter now up north; nice work on the FTP test - those ramp tests are tough and likely your endurance fitness helped you get through the first harder steps without any fatigue building...I should probably do one at some point again (Strava is estimating mine at 262, so I run with 265 in Zwift/TR)

@Gretchen:  +1 on Andrew's comment - hope you have (or had) an uneventful flight and that your bike plan works out - check in with us when you can

2022-10-16 8:12 AM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Arrived in Cairo at about 2am Sunday morning (today). I left my house at about 3:45pm on Thursday, so it was a trip. All luggage made it fine, even my bike, which I was worried about. Looks like the only issue was one of the skewer caps got broken. Fortunately, I thought that could happen and brought extras I tried to buy a trainer today, but all the bike shops in Cairo are closed on Sunday. I did see a guy riding a racing bike this morning on the equivalent of the interstate—crazy! I was totally jealous! Tomorrow I’ll take a run and investigate my swim options in the morning, and then run out in search of a trainer later in the day—anything to help stave off the jet lag.
2022-10-16 4:25 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Arrived in Cairo at about 2am Sunday morning (today). I left my house at about 3:45pm on Thursday, so it was a trip. All luggage made it fine, even my bike, which I was worried about. Looks like the only issue was one of the skewer caps got broken. Fortunately, I thought that could happen and brought extras I tried to buy a trainer today, but all the bike shops in Cairo are closed on Sunday. I did see a guy riding a racing bike this morning on the equivalent of the interstate—crazy! I was totally jealous! Tomorrow I’ll take a run and investigate my swim options in the morning, and then run out in search of a trainer later in the day—anything to help stave off the jet lag.

Good that you and your bike made it in one piece. Travelling long haul is difficult at the best of times, the covid fall out has made things much worse, so must be a quite a relief it's over. Hope the run/swim situation goes well, and good luck with your jet lag.
2022-10-16 4:40 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Another week done and dusted. And again, it's much the same story.

Swim = 0 (although that will hopefully change this week with the end of school holidays)
Bike = 4 zwifts, 3 1/2 hours total. Tick, as planned
Run = 1 run. 0 midweek runs, only my 90 minute long run on Sunday morning.

Total of 5 hours.

Regarding strength and mobility, In my head, if I can do 2-3 stretching sessions/yoga maybe? and 2-3 body weight sessions (not long, 10-15 minutes a piece) spread throughout the week, that would be a good start. And a heck of a lot more than I have ever done before. If I can do that for a few months consistently, at least that's a starting point if I need to kick on and take it all more seriously.

Midweek running... Well my excuses for not running are running out. Mrs Bullfrog has decided she wants to walk during her lunch break for a bit of a workout (she works from home most days) Long story short, we have acquired a borrowed treadmill (if it gets lots of use we will invest in a new one as a Christmas present for ourselves) the house has been re-arranged, the bike has been evicted from the lounge and our dining room is now a pain cave. New plan, if I don't run before work I can hop on the treadmill for a short brick run after zwifting. Not perfect, but a lot more opportunity to get some midweek runs in. (please excuse the messy photo, but you get the idea)

And weight, Since my high point on 5th September (the day before I entered this summers 70.3) I'm down 12.5lbs. Still a long way from making my fighting weight. But making progress.

Edited by bulfrog 2022-10-16 4:55 PM

(Paincave.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Paincave.jpg (289KB - 6 downloads)

2022-10-17 7:54 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Love the pain cave, Andrew.  So bright - ours is a dungeon in a basement room with literally no windows.  Does the trick, though. Having a treadmill right there is a big deal to get in some run frequency.  You could also get a quick mile or two in before riding.

Nice job on the weight loss, too, and your plan for introducing the strength and flexibility is very solid.  Mine aren't that much longer than 15-20 minutes most days (except for Bikram, of course).

I had a good first week and hit all of my planned workouts, swapping out a Bikram session for a long walk yesterday to take advantage of the really nice weather.  3 swims, 3 bike sessions, 3 runs/walks, a Bikram session plus another hour or so of strength/yoga work.  I'm focusing on speed on the bike and in the pool, and just jogging the runs.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2022-10-17 7:56 AM
2022-10-17 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
Andrew - LOVE the pain cave! Having the bike and the treadmill together will let you squeeze in m ore runs. That's a great idea.

Nice work on the weight! That's 50 sticks of butter - a serious accomplishment! Way to go! Let's both keep going. We can get thin together!

Originally posted by bulfrog

And weight, Since my high point on 5th September (the day before I entered this summers 70.3) I'm down 12.5lbs. Still a long way from making my fighting weight. But making progress.

2022-10-17 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
Andrew - LOVE the pain cave! Having the bike and the treadmill together will let you squeeze in m ore runs. That's a great idea.

Nice work on the weight! That's 50 sticks of butter - a serious accomplishment! Way to go! Let's both keep going. We can get thin together!

Originally posted by bulfrog

2022-10-17 5:31 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nicole:  nice work on the FTP improvement!  Keep at it and you'll crush a bike split next year

@Dave:  when do they think you'll be able to have the procedure done?...and how's your journey going after passing your first test/goal?

@Andrew:  no worries on the confusion LOL - I though you meant traffic was horrible not the line but my thought remains - no way I'd do that

@Nathalie:  feeling any better? 

@Jenn:  like Nicole said - where are you?  Don't make us needle you on Strava! 

Damn - I can't remember where to type - above the quoted text or below - it's been a while.

@Gretchen - I hope the last few days are as easy as pie for you. I know you are a super planner so I'm sure things will go well! I hope you have an absolutely wonderful time while you are there. I'm a bit of an Egypt nut - what will you be working on? How long will you be gone? What are your plans for the trip?
2022-10-17 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
Hey Everyone:

Just a super quick text before dinner. I had a crappy weekend but I am back on track today. I've been thinking of myself as a train - good decisions like saying no to a Starbuck's chocolate croissant are like coal on the fire, bad decisions like sneaking a candy bar at lunch would be like throwing water on the fire. I'm proud to say - I've made all good decisions today and as a result, I;'ve gained some forward momentum. Now to keep it going. I'm gonna reward myself with a a t shirt and a bell like the one we have at our summer cottage. Hopefully - that will move me forward.

Had a great bike this afternoon. Pushed the speed today on the bike. I usually average 11.5. Today, I really pushed it and I averaged 13! It felt great to really push the speed. God, Iove Billy Baroo!

I also got to try out Garmin Varia - its awesome. I'll post pictures and tell you more about it tomorrow. Gotta go have a healthy dinner..

(IMG_2884.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_2884.PNG (639KB - 6 downloads)
IMG_2885.HEIC (3590KB - 5 downloads)

2022-10-17 8:22 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Mike 3 swims, 3 bikes, 3 run/walks, and some flexibility. Sounds like close to the perfect balance. Nice job.

DQ Nice job on pushing the pace a bit on the bike. Sometimes hard, sometimes easy... that's the way. I feel your pain about the 'not so good' weekend. Monday morning is almost always my highest weigh in for the week. Glad that Monday morning = back on track. Long may it continue!

30 minute zwift with 15 minutes in the sweet spot last night. Followed by a 15 minute brick run/jog on the treadmill, and a 10 minute lower body stretching session. Excellent start to the week.
2022-10-18 2:59 AM

User image

, Thanh Pho Ha Noi
2022-10-18 3:38 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew--with all that light, it hardly counts as a pain cave, but congrats anyway! That will help you get in more of those short weekday runs, I'm sure!

DQ--great job making those small decisions that lead to your goal! How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! That's all it really is--just making one small good decision at a time, most of the time.

Mike--great looking week!

As for me...well, I've arrived in Cairo and been putting my efforts to getting myself settled into the city. It is difficult with only a few phrases in Arabic and having no idea where anything is, but I'm managing better than I expected. I arrived late Saturday/early Sunday morning and then immediately had a meeting on Sunday morning at 9am (ugh). I was able to make it through that and about five more hours before I crashed hard--going to bed at 6pm on Sunday and sleeping until 10am Monday with only a few wake-ups during the night. Monday I went on an adventure looking for a bike trainer in Cairo and managed to find one! It isn't perhaps what I wanted, but it will probably do just fine. It is a magnetic trainer--eh. I came back to the apartment and put my bike together. All went well, until I went to air up the front tire--I run tubeless and the bead has popped off the rim and goo was everywhere. Now I can't get enough air in the tire fast enough (i.e., before it leaks out) with my tiny frame pump to get the bead to reseat, so I'll be heading out on another adventure to find an air compressor this afternoon. There is a petrol station just up the road, so I'm hoping it will be easy.
This morning I went for my first run ever in Cairo. It was a bit of a rough start. Not five minutes after I started, I tripped on some uneven pavement/high curb and fell. Fortunately, there was a nice concrete wall there to catch me. Ended up jacking up my left elbow--bruised, scraped, bleeding, and quite sore now four hours later. I don't think I broke anything (but I did some serious checking--it hurt like he!!). Then, what I forgot to take into account, was the hordes of people on the street at 5am! Morning prayers end about 4:45-5am this time of year and as soon as they are over, everyone starts making their way to work. It feels a bit like you are a zoo animal and everyone is looking at you doing your weird animal stuff--everyone stares! But, at least I didn't get spit on by anyone or called an abomination, which has happened before. In total, a little over five miles along the Nile Corniche (essentially river road). Later today, my first dryland "swim" on the Zen8 system I bought specifically for swim training and some strength training.

Attachments
----------------
image0.jpeg (30KB - 8 downloads)
image1.jpeg (37KB - 10 downloads)
image2.jpeg (23KB - 9 downloads)
2022-10-18 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

OMG, Gretchen.  Be careful out there.  Cancun is like that, too, with the crazy sidewalks.  Glad you got to Cairo safe and sound.  Careful with the mag trainer...they're kinda weak and IIRC many are loud.  So no standing sprints for you!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43