General Discussion Race Reports! » Pat Griskus-Sprint (Oly/DU/Sprint-options) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pat Griskus-Sprint (Oly/DU/Sprint-options) - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Middlebury, Connecticut
United States
Pat Griskus Triathlon Series
69F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 10s
Overall Rank = 25/65
Age Group = M60-64
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Usual routine-up at 5:00am (even though we were 5 minutes away and I set the alarm for 5:15-I just seem to get up early), ate-~350cal(felt bloated so I only had RK treat and Boost)/coffee/shower/BR/dress-race ready; pack and head out to venue; was able to come back to hotel for shower again in the late AM, which was very nice as I was cold to the bone
Event warmup:

Parking was super easy at Quassy-as usual, we got there and had to cross over towards the finish line to registration-I forgot my active USAT card, but they gave me my packet anyway (*I went back later to show my correct 2022 card)-got packet, back to the car and got out all the stuff, set up transition in second row; looked at the flow but I still didn't realize where the swim entrance to T1 was, pumped tires at car so I didn't have to carry pump; remembered iced G2 in my aero bottle; body glide and spray legs; wore flip flops and left sneakers in car; should have brought a towel/sweat shirt as we waited ~45 minutes after swim warmup for the sprint; headed out and did 5 minute; forgot tinted goggles so Denise went back for them, very windy and didn't feel comfortable in the waves and was very anxious; last time I warmup up for 2x10 minutes-a much better choice; must remember 3/4 socks which are nicer on the feet
Swim
  • 27m 7s
  • 880 yards
  • 03m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

https://www.strava.com/activities/7329172727

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9040533180/1

~20 mph winds made this beyond challenging-water into my lungs made me stop-wheezing loudly and really expected a dnf-but a few minutes on the kayak allowed me to try again; just happened to catch a wave during breathing and the water caused an acute asthma attack; it was scary; I sincerely thought I might die in the water
What would you do differently?:

well, I chalk that up to bad luck; super windy, bad timing on inhaling Quassy lake but I did become anxious which did not help; I should be able to calm myself down better than that; I was very thankful to the people on the water
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9040533180/2

sort of walked/jogged up to transition; long way and hard on my feet-especially with my bruised heel from last week; we go up the right side then back behind the left side and then all the way across to my spot; felt breathless the entire time but started to get mad and disappointed; suit off, sat and tried to get shoes/socks on and go fast but it was all in slow motion

not inhale the lake water-it was the straw that broke me; 8th OA split
Bike
  • 38m 3s
  • 11.6 miles
  • 18.29 mile/hr
Comments:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9040533180/3

https://www.strava.com/activities/7329172827

this course is super hard; I usually do well settling into a rhythm after the first few down hill miles, but I was never comfortable and felt like I was hyperventilating and was still wheezing so badly I could hear it *(at least I was out of the water-ha), wanted to carry momentum into the hills but didn't do a good job with most of the hills

carry momentum better, get up to speed quicker and then settle into aero and at a higher cadence, it is ok to stand up and power but the transitions from up to down were not handled well
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

I always run in my shoes, but do loosen them up in the last 1/2 mile so I can get them off while taking off my helmet and sitting down to put the run shoes on; 19th OA split

nothing really-I was happy with that transition, still couldn't breathe though
Run
  • 24m 22s
  • 2.96 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9040533180/5

https://www.strava.com/activities/7329172826

sore heel still hurt every step and the camber of the road didn't help; tried to ignore it and hold cadence; easier on the first downhill than any other, of course, gotta push on the way back when there is no energy left

dig down a bit more, I went belly up late in the run
Post race
Warm down:

felt cold, short of breath and really wanted to go back to take a warm shower; waited until first prelim results were up; walked over to Tom, the RD to say thanks, then went back to hotel, and although I did have a hot dog and pizza at the venue, the coffee back in the room before heading home was magnificient; the warm shower opened up the airways a bit and I felt so, so much better. My wife Denise is just so supportive and helps me get through the best days and the worst days. I love her big much.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

acute asthma much more than anything else; just bad luck
http://iresultslive.com/?op=overall&eid=5295&racename=SPRINT

I will need redemption!

Event comments:

Tom Wilkas, the RD is the best! He's a pro's pro. This event is terrific and it is always high quality. Hopefully the sport keeps growing. We need more RD's like Tom, for sure.

Last updated: 2022-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:07 | 880 yards | 03m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 56/65
Performance:
adding about 5 minutes hanging on the kayak and another 3 minutes on a boat-catching my breath after having water go into my lungs which caused a bad asthma attack made the course a lot longer
Suit: Roka sleeveless
Course: inverted triangle; clockwise this time; into the sun first leg-must use tinted goggles; I had to swim back to the kayak, then swam back to the boat, then made it past the first buoy, the waves were coming right at us, had to swim cross current out to the second buoy and back in was mostly with the current-thankfully
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:03 | 11.6 miles | 18.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 5/65
Performance:
Couldn't hold goal power; wanted 220/225, but had AP=200; NP=222 I did coast a lot and soft pedaled on the downhills which killed the AP again tried powering this time with low cadence at ~72 ave, was much slower this time; should use higher cadence next time very happy to be 1AG again and 5OA on the bike in the sprint race
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: It's still the same hilly course, looping up and around. Miles 5/6/7/8-all with significant hills and another late from 9.5-10.5.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 72
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:22 | 02.96 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 22/65
Performance: Below average
slow, slower, slowest--yeah, that's the way the day went
Course: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9040533180/5 https://www.strava.com/activities/7329172826 sore heel still hurt every step and the camber of the road didn't help; tried to ignore it and hold cadence; easier on the first downhill than any other, of course, gotta push on the way back when there is no energy left
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2022-06-19 7:14 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Pat Griskus-Sprint (Oly/DU/Sprint-options)

2022-06-20 7:38 AM
in reply to: #5281539

User image

Subject: RE: Pat Griskus-Sprint (Oly/DU/Sprint-options)

Helluva Race Dale!  Way to not Die on the Swim!! As a kid I almost drowned twice and it's a terrible.  The worst feeling is getting water in your lungs and instantly feeling your mortality.  Massive Kudos to you for having the senses to grab the kayak and then soldier on and salvage a Solid Bike and Solid Run -- and ultimately take home the AG 1st OA Podium GOLD!!  Nobody takes down Maverick!!  

2022-06-20 9:28 AM
in reply to: Dream Chaser

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
haha-thanks Bobby! I felt like I was shot down, for sure, for a bit.

It was pretty scary but I was happy there was support immediately available to me. When I exited the water, my wife was there and I told her what happened and how I thought that I might actually have an event and she said, 'well, thanks for living'.

2022-06-20 10:55 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
We didn't do the race but rode in CT that day. OMG the wind was crazy. Way to gut it out (oh yeah and not die )
2022-06-28 6:06 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
many thanks Randee!

yeah, 'not dying' is setting the bar low...but...

the wind WAS crazy bad-

I always appreciate your comments and thanks for the reply. Hope all is well with you.

Dale
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pat Griskus-Sprint (Oly/DU/Sprint-options) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TexasMan Sprint Triathlon

Started by kentwest
Views: 660 Posts: 1

2021-09-21 8:58 PM kentwest

Karshalm Sprint triathlon

Started by Rollergirl
Views: 611 Posts: 1

2021-09-04 9:15 AM Rollergirl

2021 WTC Finals Edmonton - Community Race Sprint

Started by sabinamarie
Views: 472 Posts: 1