Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 99

2023-05-28 11:32 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
I admire your commitment to the cause Andrew, it can’t be easy training for an Ironman with a young family.
Way to finish off that week and to start the new one! I like the chilling on the sofa with a cold beer, that’s the plus side of getting up at f**** O’clock I guess.
Some of my work mates are trying to get me to play 9 holes of golf with them before work, ie tee off at
5:30 . Not gonna happen `I’m afraid

My Monday will include riding to work (15k) at going shopping pace and riding back a longer route doing intervals.

Tomorrow rest day as we are going to Copenhagen, Denmark (about 3 hours drive) to watch Peter Gabriel in concert.

Wednesday, I can finally go and run intervals with my club, after missing 2 weeks to to work and our gig.

Thursday and Friday are still open, probably a run and a strength session at lunch and a ride after work.

Have a great week BDAS!

2023-05-29 9:43 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

I admire your commitment to the cause Andrew, it can’t be easy training for an Ironman with a young family.
Way to finish off that week and to start the new one! I like the chilling on the sofa with a cold beer, that’s the plus side of getting up at f**** O’clock I guess.

Thanks

It is not easy, nor is anything for yourself when you have a house full of young kids I think. But I think it's important the kids see us being physically active not 100% couch potatoes. Mike doing his Oly Tri with his daughter is amazing, one day I hope to be doing the same with our little ones. And of course the selfish reason, workout endorphins are important for my mental health.

Dark-o'clock workouts are a funny thing. I'm a natural night owl, and really struggle to get up early but when I do, I have never once regretted it. There is something incredibly satisfying with getting your workout done so early in the day.

And of course it means actually being able to spend time with Mrs Bullfrog in the evenings rather than riding on the trainer in the corner of the room. Got to embrace the grind.
2023-05-29 9:54 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
The start of the week has not gone well.

Dropped a piece of plywood on my foot at work Monday afternoon. Haven't been to see a Dr yet, but judging from the amount of bruising I've got a broken middle toe.

2 steps forward, 1 step back.

So looks like at least 2 weeks no running, and then a slow build back up. The only good thing is this happened now, 9 weeks away from the start of my 70.3 plan not closer to a target event. Not ideal at all, but at least there is time to heal and be ready to train properly.

Bring on 'bike focus June'.... can you swim with a broken toe?
2023-05-30 12:35 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew--ouch! Hope your toe heals up quickly!! I dropped my trainer on my foot on Sunday packing it up to move, but I think I escaped unscathed (for now!)

Moved to a new apartment yesterday. I'm back downtown, so there are now some logistical issues to work through in terms of getting to the pool, but I'll figure those out soon enough. Likely it will be run there, swim, then catch a cab back home to shower and get ready for the day. Probably have fewer opportunities to use my pool toys (ahem...training equipment), because I won't be able to carry it all in my small running backpack. Oh well...actual swimming is the important part of swim training.

Up this morning (my birthday) to do a 64' interval run and 60' ride. Both went well...I was surprised how my legs felt, given that I did three races over the weekend and then didn't really rest much on Sunday/Monday with the packing and moving bit, but I'm happy. I signed myself up for a half marathon on 9 June too...cause I can't seem to stop finding these "once in a lifetime" race opportunities" and taking them! I'm gonna treat it like a long training day...just like last time...lololololololol!!
2023-05-30 1:11 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Thanks

It is not easy, nor is anything for yourself when you have a house full of young kids I think. But I think it's important the kids see us being physically active not 100% couch potatoes. Mike doing his Oly Tri with his daughter is amazing, one day I hope to be doing the same with our little ones.

Great point, show the way. Would be great to do something with them. My son (now 18) is totally uninterested in tris and stuff, he played ice hockey when he was younger and now goes to the gym and lifts weights. Better than sitting in a front of a computer all the time but it’s not a sport in my eyes.

Sorry to hear about your toe but there is plenty of swimming and biking to do while it heals. That’s what’s great about our sport…an injury doesn’t mean you have to stop.
2023-05-30 1:13 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Andrew--ouch! Hope your toe heals up quickly!! I dropped my trainer on my foot on Sunday packing it up to move, but I think I escaped unscathed (for now!)

Moved to a new apartment yesterday. I'm back downtown, so there are now some logistical issues to work through in terms of getting to the pool, but I'll figure those out soon enough. Likely it will be run there, swim, then catch a cab back home to shower and get ready for the day. Probably have fewer opportunities to use my pool toys (ahem...training equipment), because I won't be able to carry it all in my small running backpack. Oh well...actual swimming is the important part of swim training.

Up this morning (my birthday) to do a 64' interval run and 60' ride. Both went well...I was surprised how my legs felt, given that I did three races over the weekend and then didn't really rest much on Sunday/Monday with the packing and moving bit, but I'm happy. I signed myself up for a half marathon on 9 June too...cause I can't seem to stop finding these "once in a lifetime" race opportunities" and taking them! I'm gonna treat it like a long training day...just like last time...lololololololol!!

Happy birthday!!!!

Don’t you love it when the body responds well? I felt the same after my half marathon (the longest I have ever run) , could have done it again the next day, legs were fine.

2023-05-30 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Ouch, Andrew.  Ugh.  I broke a toe in high school (the one next to the pinky toe...so the "ring toe"??).  I continued to play volleyball and run on it and it took like 4-5 months to get fully right.  It shouldn't bother you swimming but be careful on your push-offs on the turns.  For biking it's either going to hurt or it isn't and I'll guess you'll find out.  You might have to switch shoes/pedals.  Advil and ice will be your friends.  You might want to get an x-ray if that's easy in NZ just to make sure.  I thought I broke a toe another time (hurt like hell and all bruised) and it turned out to not be the case.  Good luck with it and glad it's so far out. 

2023-05-30 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl  Tomorrow rest day as we are going to Copenhagen, Denmark (about 3 hours drive) to watch Peter Gabriel in concert.  BDAS!

Have fun!  Peter Gabriel is fantastic.

2023-05-30 8:31 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Disaster has hit the now-tapering triathlete household here.  My daughter went to Boston over the weekend for a music festival and brought home a raging case of COVID (the first hit here in the house so far that we know of).  Wife and I are isolating her as best we can but I can't see a path for her to race this weekend (still high fever and can't even talk right now) and now I'm paranoid as well.  We're both "glow-in-the-dark boostinated" as my wife would say but it's still a worry (and going to Aruba on Sunday as well).  Ugh. 

2023-05-30 8:35 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Oh my gosh, so much to catch up on!

Gretchen, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Sorry to hear about your bike troubles on that last race, but way to be a BOSS and just run it. And continue to the end!

Andrew, sorry to hear about your foot! Hopefully it heals quick and you can get back out there. And glad your wife is on board with your morning workouts. That is certainly the best way (IMHO) to start the day. And I agree, show your kids how important it is to be active.
Also, I can't believe your little one is 5 already?! Wowsers

Nat, your band sounds great! Thanks for sharing those! Have fun seeing Peter Gabriel!

Mike, enjoy taper week! I certainly am going to start today also.
Also, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I just saw your latest message about your daughter! Hopefully you guys can stay healthy! Was your daughter going to Aruba as well? Oh man, what a bummer.
2023-05-30 8:45 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Sooooooo...I did the thing. I signed up for the Oly on Saturday this weekend. Hopefully we can still have the BDAS showdown if Mike can avoid the 'vid!!

I had a pretty crazy weekend of training, and talked about doing both with a few different groups. So between you all inspiring me, solid training, and my in person friends agreeing, I've gone ahead and signed up.

Now to the training:
Saturday I went to Masters and got a solid 2000 yds. I opted out of the tequila-filled volleyball tournament. I still went to watch, and was able to get a game in at one point, but otherwise I just chilled. I didn't feel like drinking at all (and people only tried to pressure me to do it 2 or 3 times...)

Sunday I did a 25k trail run. Ouch. We did a race route that my friends had done before, but it was a bit overgrown in parts, with thorny bushes, so that got us out of our groove and I think fatigued our legs a bit more. We definitely overreached a little, but I think it was a good baseline for the Ragnar. I also am learning what fuel I need to bring on these long runs.

Monday I did a brick (12 mile bike ride, followed by a 5k) with my friend who is doing the sprint with me this weekend. I felt surprisingly good seeing as how I had done a 25k the previous day.
Later I went and played some beach vball for about 3 hours. I was COOKED after. And during honestly. The fatigue really hit, but I still played okay. The bike ride home was horrible. Slept like a BABY last night though.

Today is a rest day. Gonna try to do some much needed yoga at some point. Will do some light runs and bikes this week to prepare for the weekend. Eek! Also need to buy another tri suit lol

2023-05-30 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e  I just saw your latest message about your daughter! Hopefully you guys can stay healthy! Was your daughter going to Aruba as well? Oh man, what a bummer.

No, she actually starts her internship at Northrop Grumman next week so it's just the two of us going to Aruba.  I think she'll be OK for that but I think the race is out for her. 

2023-05-30 4:10 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Happy Birthday!

Where abouts is your half marathon? (which is on my birthday BTW) are you going back to the flash resort town?

As for your birthday workouts going better than expected post race weekend... it's almost like you're training hard and getting fitter Great job.
2023-05-30 4:20 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Ouch, Andrew.  Ugh.  I broke a toe in high school (the one next to the pinky toe...so the "ring toe"??).  I continued to play volleyball and run on it and it took like 4-5 months to get fully right.  It shouldn't bother you swimming but be careful on your push-offs on the turns.  For biking it's either going to hurt or it isn't and I'll guess you'll find out.  You might have to switch shoes/pedals.  Advil and ice will be your friends.  You might want to get an x-ray if that's easy in NZ just to make sure.  I thought I broke a toe another time (hurt like hell and all bruised) and it turned out to not be the case.  Good luck with it and glad it's so far out. 

Making a small injury take 4-5 months to heal is the scenario that worries me. I've done that before, not clever.

Biking feels fine, in my mind the hard sole of a bike shoe is perfect support for a toe injury. Swimming, the push off being the problem matches my thoughts, will find out on Friday. Lots of ice and elevation has been my game plan the last couple of days.
2023-05-30 4:24 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Disaster has hit the now-tapering triathlete household here.  My daughter went to Boston over the weekend for a music festival and brought home a raging case of COVID (the first hit here in the house so far that we know of).  Wife and I are isolating her as best we can but I can't see a path for her to race this weekend (still high fever and can't even talk right now) and now I'm paranoid as well.  We're both "glow-in-the-dark boostinated" as my wife would say but it's still a worry (and going to Aruba on Sunday as well).  Ugh. 

Oh man, that's an awful time to get covid. Or any sort of sick for that matter. (not that there is ever a good time of course) And can't talk sounds like she's got it worse than what most do these days. That sucks. Hopefully you can avoid it. Time take the wife to a hotel for a few days
2023-05-30 4:32 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by nicole14e

Sooooooo...I did the thing. I signed up for the Oly on Saturday this weekend. Hopefully we can still have the BDAS showdown if Mike can avoid the 'vid!!

That is awesome, may the smack talk begin.

Great job with the weekend workouts, just like I said for Gretchen, isn't it nice when a workout goes so much better than you expect because you're building fitness. So satisfying to see that progress.

2023-05-30 4:42 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
End of the month for me. Obviously no more running but still very happy with my training in May.

Swim: x2, 2,250m, 55 minutes
Bike, x17, 433km, 16hr, 47minutes
Run, x16, 101km, 13hr 13 minutes

Total of 35 workouts, 30 hours and 55 minutes for the month.

That's my biggest month overall since March 2021
First time over 100km running in a month since March 2021
Did at least 1 workout every day in May, actually up to 41 total consecutive days or SBRing

Looking forward to another step up in June.

How did everyone else do this month?
2023-05-30 7:04 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog  How did everyone else do this month?

Well, I'll tell you tomorrow after my month of May ends. 

You're at the pointy end of the time spear, my friend. 

2023-05-31 12:46 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Mike--sorry to hear about your daughter!! I hope she is getting better and that you and your wife are spared!

@Nicole--YES!!!!!! Peer pressure for the win!!!! Hope you have a great race! (you too Mike!)

@Andrew--race, which is on my mom's birthday (you're birthday twins!), is in Madinaty, which is like an extended suburb of New Cairo, which is a suburb of Cairo (urban sprawl is ridiculous here!). It is about 45km from where I live in downtown Cairo. As Mike said, I'll get back to you on the May totals, since I'm still not done with them!

@Nat--I don't want you to feel left out!

Kinda ugh morning for me today. I was out late last night with a friend for my birthday (10pm!), so I didn't get much sleep. Then I forgot my goggles for the swim, which sucked. I did 1000 of the planned 1750yds before I got tired of it and just bagged the workout--I was swimming into the walls. My left arm was so out of it today (nerve issue that makes it numb sometimes), I just didn't see any use in doing that anymore. Then I was up in the gym for 60' on the recumbent. I can't wait for my bike to get back to me! Later today, some strength training after work.
2023-05-31 8:13 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e

That is awesome, may the smack talk begin.

Great job with the weekend workouts, just like I said for Gretchen, isn't it nice when a workout goes so much better than you expect because you're building fitness. So satisfying to see that progress.

It really is! Whodda thunk consistency would lead to progress...lol
2023-05-31 8:14 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

End of the month for me. Obviously no more running but still very happy with my training in May.

Swim: x2, 2,250m, 55 minutes
Bike, x17, 433km, 16hr, 47minutes
Run, x16, 101km, 13hr 13 minutes

Total of 35 workouts, 30 hours and 55 minutes for the month.

That's my biggest month overall since March 2021
First time over 100km running in a month since March 2021
Did at least 1 workout every day in May, actually up to 41 total consecutive days or SBRing

Looking forward to another step up in June.

How did everyone else do this month?

You are crushing it! Great work!

2023-05-31 8:16 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

@Mike--sorry to hear about your daughter!! I hope she is getting better and that you and your wife are spared!

@Nicole--YES!!!!!! Peer pressure for the win!!!! Hope you have a great race! (you too Mike!)

@Andrew--race, which is on my mom's birthday (you're birthday twins!), is in Madinaty, which is like an extended suburb of New Cairo, which is a suburb of Cairo (urban sprawl is ridiculous here!). It is about 45km from where I live in downtown Cairo. As Mike said, I'll get back to you on the May totals, since I'm still not done with them!

@Nat--I don't want you to feel left out!

Kinda ugh morning for me today. I was out late last night with a friend for my birthday (10pm!), so I didn't get much sleep. Then I forgot my goggles for the swim, which sucked. I did 1000 of the planned 1750yds before I got tired of it and just bagged the workout--I was swimming into the walls. My left arm was so out of it today (nerve issue that makes it numb sometimes), I just didn't see any use in doing that anymore. Then I was up in the gym for 60' on the recumbent. I can't wait for my bike to get back to me! Later today, some strength training after work.

I would've given up after realizing I forgot my goggles. Way to get something done, even after your late (that's late for me too!) night!

And yes, you guys and your peer pressure was exactly the motivation I needed! I ordered a new tri suit and some shorts and a tri top yesterday to treat myself hopefully one (or both) work out!
2023-05-31 8:19 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I know you all complain about taper, but I LOVE it. Went to trivia last night and had a friend crash at my place, so stayed up a bit later than planned. Woke up and did a 30 minute morning flow yoga session. It felt amazing.
My knee is bothering me a little and I'm sore just under my right glute. Hoping the yoga will help to alleviate both of those ailments. Am going to try an easy run tomorrow.
2023-05-31 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog  How did everyone else do this month?

Well, I'll tell you tomorrow after my month of May ends. 

You're at the pointy end of the time spear, my friend. 

OK, NOW May is done for me after 30 minutes on  the bike and a 10 minute race-pace treadmill run:

Swim: 4h 44m 30s - 12000 Yd
Bike: 15h 08m 16s - 287.41 Mi
Run: 4h 38m 33s - 23.61 Mi
Strength: 8h 04m
Hiking: 7h 37m

Very solid month across the board...obviously would like more of that hiking/walking time to be in the Run totals but we go with what we got, right?

2023-05-31 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Andrew:  nice solid work for the month and glad you can cycle pain-free...that'll really make a difference I'm sure both mentally and healing-wise

@Gretchen:  congrats on your crazy race weekend and I'm with Nicole...no goggles, no swim (and it's happened more times that I can count when I get to the gym, pop open the hatchback and see that I removed my swim bag for some reason, yell expletives, and drive back home and do something else)

@Nathalie:  how was the concert?

@Nicole:  a little soreness indicates taper is working ; I'm a "doubtful" right now on the injury report for Saturday so we'll see

The Daughter is definitely out for Saturday as she still is testing positive and has a fever, coughing up a lung, etc.  She is improving though so that's good.  I'm leaning towards deferring and doing different one in August with her- going to chat with MY planning committee tonight about it.  I'm just not in a good place to race right now with that hanging over me and the hit to my immune system I'm going to take. 

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 99

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 868 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland