Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 99

2023-05-31 1:08 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Andrew:  nice solid work for the month and glad you can cycle pain-free...that'll really make a difference I'm sure both mentally and healing-wise

@Gretchen:  congrats on your crazy race weekend and I'm with Nicole...no goggles, no swim (and it's happened more times that I can count when I get to the gym, pop open the hatchback and see that I removed my swim bag for some reason, yell expletives, and drive back home and do something else)

@Nathalie:  how was the concert?

@Nicole:  a little soreness indicates taper is working ; I'm a "doubtful" right now on the injury report for Saturday so we'll see

The Daughter is definitely out for Saturday as she still is testing positive and has a fever, coughing up a lung, etc.  She is improving though so that's good.  I'm leaning towards deferring and doing different one in August with her- going to chat with MY planning committee tonight about it.  I'm just not in a good place to race right now with that hanging over me and the hit to my immune system I'm going to take. 

Totally understandable! I'm sorry that my signing up scared you into deferring Just kidding! I hope your daughter gets better quick and you guys have a great trip to Aruba! And you get healed up quick!

2023-05-31 4:08 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
@Gretchen. Hopefully 45km out of Cairo is far enough to avoid the smog you've been experiencing during your runs. Sounds like a great way to have a catered training day.

I've only showed up for a swim without goggles once (so far) I only made it 500m before deciding it was stupid an canning the workout. So good on you for pushing on for an even 1,000m. Hardcore as ever.

@Mike. Sorry for jumping the gun, sometimes I forget I'm from the future
That looks like a solid month. Hiking/Walking/Running... all time on your feet putting in miles. It all counts

From the other side of the world, it looks like taking the deferral is the better option. Last thing anyone needs is pushing the body hard, getting the Rona and spending your time in Aurba isolating in the hotel room. Plus you planned to do it with your daughter, August is only a couple of months off. Deferrals suck, but sometimes its better to come back and fight another day.

@Nicole. Seeing as you've scared Mike off, I guess that means you win the BDAS faceoff. Enjoy the tapering.
2023-05-31 4:23 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Started June with an hour riding on zwift this morning, included 3x10' sweet spot intervals. The legs were voicing their disagreement with the workout by the end of this one. Was a struggle getting out of bed today, I did negotiate with myself lying in the warm when my alarm went off. Happy I got up and got it done though.
2023-05-31 11:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Nice work this month Andrew and Mike!

I agree with the panel, best to defer, having been exposed to that nasty virus, it’s best not to put your body through a race, just in case…
Listen to us, are we grown up or what?

When I do have goggles (if I am in a hotel and didn’t know they had a pool for example), I do the back stroke.

Originally posted by nicole14e

I ordered a new tri suit and some shorts and a tri top yesterday to treat myself hopefully one (or both) work out!

Yes! Shopping! my favourite part of triathlon! enjoy taper and congratulations on winning the big BDAS faceoff!

Gretchen, thanks for thinking about my feelings and not wanting me to feel left out. Right back atcha, LOL

Here are my May numbers

Swim, finally have something to write here: 3592 m 1h46
Bike: 344km, 14h15
Run: 109km 12h48
Strength: dunno, 3 x 45 minutes or something

golf (now that the hockey season is over, I am counting that) 18 holes

The local swim club and my running club are organising “swim-run” training once or twice a week, I am going to try that next time I can.

The concert was brilliant. They played the hits I wanted to hear (sledgehammer, solsbury hill), some other songs I knew and others I didn’t. The visuals were amazing, showing work from different artists with each song. Beautiful!

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-06-01 1:19 AM

(IMG_0567.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0567.JPG (1250KB - 5 downloads)
2023-06-01 2:19 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Mike-sorry to hear about the race...tough decision, but probably the best one given the circumstances. Three years in and Covid is still screwing with our plans!

@Andrew--solid month! Great work!

@Nat--that concern looks amazing!

@Nicole--great job scaring Mike off!! :D Hope you have a blast doing the double anyway!

@Jenn--how's the world treating you?

As for me...I'm taking an unscheduled rest day. I woke up at 4:30 ready to do my brick and then I looked at myself in the mirror and realized I looked haggard. Ever since I was a kid, dark black circles under my eyes are a major harbinger of illness (used to work against me too, as my mom wouldn't buy fake illness to get out of school without the black circles!). I looked like someone punched me in the eyes this morning, so I bagged the workout and went back to bed...for another 4.5 hours. I guess I needed the sleep.

May wasn't as good as April in any discipline except run, but I feel good about it anyway.

Swim: 11h 39m 59s - 27075.34 Yd
Bike: 21h 53m 04s - 47.83 Mi
Run: 14h 42m 15s - 64.75 Mi
Strength: 4h 00m
2023-06-01 3:34 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
hope you are not coming done with some nasty bug

good calll on the rest day!

2023-06-01 6:51 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Wow...y'all are brutal on the BDAS throw-down.  Next time, Nicole...next time! 

Daughter is feeling better as she's starting to bounce off the walls (taper madness + COVID...poor thing).  Race has been deferred until next year (too late to transfer).  I think this is actually a registration from 2020 at this point which has been cancelled, then deferred three times for three different reasons so my whatever I do with it in 2024 will be damn near an Ironman in cost.  LOL

Going to get in a couple of decent workouts this week then recover in Aruba.  I'll have a perfect eight weeks until Lums Pond Olympic when I get home, plus I'll have my annual personal Tour de France Challenge during the build.  I really need to get my fit together on my tri bike so maybe that will finally happen this summer.

@Nathalie:  that show looks awesome...I tried to talk the The Wife into going to see Petey but she already suffered through me dragging her to Genesis back in 2021 (which was awesome...glad I got to see them one more time).  I saw him on the So tour over 35 years ago (!!!).  Gabriel's song "Biko" still gives me the chills every time I hear it.

@Gretchen:  hope you feel better - you've been running around like a lunatic (in a good way) for a bit so maybe a bit of recovery is just what the doctor ordered

@Nicole:  give 'em hell this weekend...it's a Nationals qualifier so top third in each AG makes it to Milwaukee!  

@Andrew:  great get 'er done morning!  And those longer sweet spot sessions are really mentally tough, especially if you have your FTP dialed in right

@Jenn:  hope all is well as can be in your world; hope your father-in-law is doing as best as can be and we're thinking about you and your family here in BDAS

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-06-01 6:54 AM
2023-06-01 7:36 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by bulfrog

Started June with an hour riding on zwift this morning, included 3x10' sweet spot intervals. The legs were voicing their disagreement with the workout by the end of this one. Was a struggle getting out of bed today, I did negotiate with myself lying in the warm when my alarm went off. Happy I got up and got it done though.

I don't know what the weather is like there, but your consistency is even more impressive given it is your winter. I always forget that part. Way to get it done!
2023-06-01 10:04 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Nat, the visuals of that concert look amazing! So glad you enjoyed it!

Mike, jealous about Genesis! Glad your daughter is better and I can't imagine how much you have paid for this tri by this point!

Gretchen, way to listen to your body, and hopefully that rest was what your body needed to avoid getting too sick.

Jenn, I echo the group, hope all is as well as it can be.

2023-06-01 10:08 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got some good sleep last night, and did a (very) short run this morning, followed by a little walking. I also walked to and from work yesterday (about a mile and a half each way). Trying to keep moving without pushing too hard. My knee has been bothering me this week, presumably from the long trail run the other day, so hoping going easy on it will alleviate the pain before the weekend.

Ahh, 2 days away! Gonna do some yoga this afternoon to get some extra stretching in. I also didn't realize quite how far this place is from my house, so am considering getting a place "nearby" (aka an hour away in Annapolis since I'm way late and all the good stuff is taken) to keep from having to wake up so early both days. The place I'm looking at also has a pool, so it would be nice to just relax by the pool after, read a book, and get to bed early before the sprint. That would mean being ready to go by tomorrow morning though, and this truly snuck up on me, so we'll see!

2023-06-01 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e  I also didn't realize quite how far this place is from my house, so am considering getting a place "nearby" (aka an hour away in Annapolis since I'm way late and all the good stuff is taken) to keep from having to wake up so early both days. The place I'm looking at also has a pool, so it would be nice to just relax by the pool after, read a book, and get to bed early before the sprint. That would mean being ready to go by tomorrow morning though, and this truly snuck up on me, so we'll see!

Yeah, Rock Hall is a PITA to get to from Baltimore.  It's only 20 miles by boat!  (or two hours by car).  I stayed on site at a B&B the last time I did it and it was worth every penny.  Late decision to enter (they book up a year in advance) this year so that wasn't an option.  Annapolis is still better. 

2023-06-01 2:58 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Ahh, 2 days away! Gonna do some yoga this afternoon to get some extra stretching in. I also didn't realize quite how far this place is from my house, so am considering getting a place "nearby" (aka an hour away in Annapolis since I'm way late and all the good stuff is taken) to keep from having to wake up so early both days. The place I'm looking at also has a pool, so it would be nice to just relax by the pool after, read a book, and get to bed early before the sprint. That would mean being ready to go by tomorrow morning though, and this truly snuck up on me, so we'll see!

Sounds like a great idea!
2023-06-01 9:53 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I don't know what the weather is like there, but your consistency is even more impressive given it is your winter. I always forget that part. Way to get it done!

Thank you But I feel you give me too much credit. Almost all of my training is indoors on the trainer or treadmill. Honestly indoor training is the best thing for consistency, there is no way I would do as much as I am if I had to run and ride in the real world, in NZ weather at dark o'clock.

By almost all, 2 outdoor runs in the last 6 weeks (that's unusual, usually that would be 2-3 a week) and over a year since I rode my bike somewhere other than the trainer.
2023-06-01 10:04 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen. Good call being smart enough to listen to the signs and take a rest day when you need one. (says the guy on 43 consecutive SBR days) And great month. I would be ecstatic to hit those numbers, and they're a step down for you. The machine.

@Mike. That's great you can defer a deferral of a deferral, that's a very accommodating and reasonable race director you have. Most of our races you get 1 change (unless they cancel the race) so when i deferred from March's 70.3 to december, that's it. If I don't race in December I miss out.

I think you need to find a race of some sort this summer. You need to use that fitness you've been building for something. August was ok, but next year is too far out.

@Nathalie. Great month as well. Why not take up speed golf? make it into a run/golf brick workout. Haha.

@Nicole, My vote is with the consensus, if you can stay closer I would 100% do that. Last thing you want on a big race weekend is long drives before and after. Enjoy the last few hours of taper, and good luck for the weekend. Can't wait to read about how you smashed it.

Edited by bulfrog 2023-06-01 10:18 PM
2023-06-01 10:16 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Today was swim day. The good news, minimal pain in the dodgy toe. The bad news, I just felt terrible, no rhythm or form at all. Felt like I was swimming in slow motion. I was late getting to the pool anyway so cut it short and went to work. No point practicing terrible form.

I was going to do 2 more rides over the weekend, but this swim was so crap, I think I'm going to try and swap the short bike for another swim, need to get that frequency up.

Question for the group:

Does anyone have a good, (fast/easy) recovery shake they can recommend?

One of my changes from my previous training is I'm trying to up my 'Nutrition' game, fueling properly during and after workouts, and making up the daily calorie deficit elsewhere throughout the day. I'm pretty happy with how my in workout nutrition is going. (thank you Nicole I think, for the tailwind recommendation) but not sure about post workout.

I've tried some of the tailwind recovery shakes, not a huge fan so far. Does anyone have a goto option they can recommend?

Have a good weekend team. And good luck Nicole for your races.
2023-06-02 12:03 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Thank you But I feel you give me too much credit. Almost all of my training is indoors on the trainer or treadmill. Honestly indoor training is the best thing for consistency, there is no way I would do as much as I am if I had to run and ride in the real world, in NZ weather at dark o'clock.

By almost all, 2 outdoor runs in the last 6 weeks (that's unusual, usually that would be 2-3 a week) and over a year since I rode my bike somewhere other than the trainer.

I don’t think she gives you too much credit. Training indoors is warmer for sure, but it takes a lot of willpower to get it done.

2023-06-02 12:11 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
How are you Gretchen, feeling better after a rest day?

Speed golf, yes, sounds like something I’d like but I guess I need a speed golf tournament to take part in. If I have to wait for the group in front, it’s not going to work.
I’ll look into it.
Re: recovery shake, no idea, I am not there yet.

Next week I am trying “swim run”. It’s big round here. You swim a few 100 meters, then run a few kms and repeat.
You swim with your shoes on and run with your wetsuit on, a short, light one with the zip at the front so easy to open up if you get warm. So, yes, time for shopping! My favourite part of triathlon (after transitions)

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-06-02 1:04 AM
2023-06-02 6:46 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Andrew:  re:  recovery shakes...believe it or not when I need to add extra calories I go for chocolate whole milk.  It has a pretty good balance of protein, fat, and carbs and I tolerate it really well.  Lowfat versions don't have the same satiation properties so they don't work as well.

2023-06-02 8:48 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

I don’t think she gives you too much credit. Training indoors is warmer for sure, but it takes a lot of willpower to get it done.

I was going to say this exactly thing. I am so lazy in the winter, even having a Peloton and the ability to do most workouts indoors. Especially when it's so dark!
2023-06-02 8:52 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Oh yay, Andrew, glad you are enjoying Tailwind! I haven't tried their recovery stuff. Is it just the flavor you don't like?

I don't typically drink anything for recovery, though probably should start with how much I've been doing lately.

My knee is still bothering me a good amount. I haven't taken anything for it, so will likely take some Aleve tonight and see if that helps, and get a good stretching session in. I didn't do any last night b/c I had a dinner I'd forgotten about. My friend might use points to get me a hotel room in Annapolis for tomorrow night, which would at least cut a little driving out. If not, I'm going to get an Airbnb, though the sweet one I'd found with the pool is no longer available Definitely don't love the last minute planning, but it will all work out in the end!
2023-06-02 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hope the knee resolves quickly, Nicole.  Bring the noise from the Maryland BDAS contingent this weekend!!

2023-06-03 2:37 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good luck Nicole! We’re all behind you!
2023-06-03 2:40 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Good luck Nicole!!!
2023-06-03 2:47 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Bit of a crazy couple of days here. Thursday I did the big sleep instead of training. Friday I got up, went to the pool, only to find it was closed because Cairo had a major dust storm on Thursday afternoon and overnight, so they were cleaning the pool Would have been nice for them to let us know that, but that's not the Egyptian way (and that is annoying!). I went back home and fell asleep on the couch for another three hours--guessing my body is telling me something here...wonder what it is! Anyway, finally got my bike back from the shop last night. They were supposed to deliver it at 5, they came at 10...typical Egypt timekeeping. Not cool bit is that they didn't put the tubeless tire on the rear wheel yet, so now they have to come back on Thursday to do it. I couldn't get a good answer as to why they didn't do it yet--too many people talking at once. Anyway...at least was able to do my 3:30 ride this morning on my bike on the trainer and not a recumbent.

Tomorrow will be a 1:45 run, followed by a 5 hour car ride down to our site. May not get much training in over the next few days--trying not to panic about that...
2023-06-03 11:39 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Annoying that the pool was closed without warning but you needed the sleep so it all worked out! Glad you got your bike back and don’t have to use the recumbent.

Feeling a bit tired today so swapped my long low/medium intensity long ride for a shorter low/medium intensity ride.

Now drinking beer (non alcoholic one to start with and a real one later).

By the way, I read somewhere that beer was an excellent recovery drink. As a proud member of BDAS, I totally believe that.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 99

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 868 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland