Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2024-03-18 9:39 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Nat - Yes, the nice weather makes it WAY easier to get motivated to get out there and run.
And yes, pickleball will now just be one of the many things that I do
Your floorball games sound so fun. and I agree, sounds like your defense let you down!

Mike - I hear you on being scared to get hurt, especially since you have a history of back issues. What's nice is you can play pretty chill, though I think for any of us, it's hard to not go hard at something athletic.
Glad you're enjoying your time in Fl and getting lots of activities in!

Andrew - How is your oldest 6 already?! Wow how time flies! Sounds like you have some big training coming up, but you will crush it!

Gretchen - Nothing can ever just go smooth for you! As always, I love your stories and the great visuals you create with them. And I'm sure you're crushing babysitting!

2024-03-18 9:45 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Got in a really solid masters swim on Saturday. Got in 2550 yds, mostly freestyle with a little backstroke in there. Lots of 50s, and a few longer intervals that destroyed me. I can do the short stuff. 100 yds is probably my max before my arms completely die. I had a great lane mate though, this woman who just came back after like, 5 years away, and she encouraged me to finish out the one set (we didn't know how much longer it would be, but I was pretty dead and about to get out around 1800 yds). I'm so glad she's back.

Gretchen, was reminded of you at masters this weekend. Have you said anything to the coach about stopping people mid-warmup?
You would go absolutely nuts at our practice, lol, because people trickle in throughout the entire practice, but like I said before, no one ever stops someone mid-interval. They just wait for a good opportunity to hop in smoothly. (I'm one of these people...I was about 30 minutes late this past practice, lol)
2024-03-18 2:50 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
OMG y’all…I can’t wait to go home! This parenting this is no joke. I’m exhausted and run ragged.

Today’s training has been an exercise in pivoting and adapting. Original plan was for a 33’ run and then 2.5hr ride on the local trail. That was before I noted the high temperature was going to be 37F here today. No way am I drifting in that! So, before the day even started I changed things up. New plan was hour run in the morning, followed by an hour spin on the trainer and weights.
I did the hour run this morning at 4:30 so I could be back and showered before the kids get up at 6. Worked fine…except…I forgot the door at my parents house locks behind you unless you specifically unlock it. I got back from my run and I couldn’t get in the house. I looked everywhere I could think for their hide-a-key, but no luck. Fortunately for me, their dog was barking her head off, so after a short five minutes of knocking, one of the kids got up and let me in. He was less than graceful about it, but I don’t blame him at all. 6:05–showered and trying to make coffee. Can’t figure out why the coffee pot stopped working. Panicking a bit because I think I’ve broken the coffee pot (add it to the list of stuff that has gone down this week!)…realize I haven’t actually put any water in the pot. I need to go back to bed.

I had an appointment at 9:30, so when I got home from that I realized I really didn’t want to ride my bike—it was still cold and super windy, so I decided I’d go swimming and then lift at the gym. Lap swim is until 1, and then swim lessons start, so I have to be done by then. It is 11:50. I rush around and get my gear together. I arrive at the gym at 12:15, only to realize I forgot my swimsuit. I decide I will just have to lift and figure out how to make up the missed swim later in the week. About half way though my lifting session I realize I can do my ride at the gym (avoiding the cold and wind)! Score! I did that, so in the end, three sessions completed and my schedule remains intact for the rest of the week.
2024-03-19 8:01 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good work re-arranging the day to fit the workouts. I am glad you decided against swimming without a swimsuit.
2024-03-19 12:43 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Good work re-arranging the day to fit the workouts. I am glad you decided against swimming without a swimsuit.

I don't know, I think this would've made for a really excellent story!
I was actually expecting something like "I forgot my bathing suit, but I was able to fashion one out of items I had in my truck and, though it was a little uncomfortable, was still able to get in 2800 yds"
2024-03-19 12:45 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in some stretching last night in lieu of getting my a$$ outside for a run. My right hip has been bothering me so I'm going to work on my hip mobility over the next few weeks, as I think most of my hip pain is probably easily fixable with some stretching and mobility.
Got out for a run this morning before I realized how windy it was got in 3.2 miles and felt pretty good. Still definitely feeling a bit out of shape, especially on hills. Might do a hill workout later this week to try to start getting that back.

2024-03-20 1:04 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

I was actually expecting something like "I forgot my bathing suit, but I was able to fashion one out of items I had in my truck and, though it was a little uncomfortable, was still able to get in 2800 yds"

Haha! Very true!
2024-03-20 1:15 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Got in some stretching last night in lieu of getting my a$$ outside for a run. My right hip has been bothering me so I'm going to work on my hip mobility over the next few weeks, as I think most of my hip pain is probably easily fixable with some stretching and mobility.
Got out for a run this morning before I realized how windy it was got in 3.2 miles and felt pretty good. Still definitely feeling a bit out of shape, especially on hills. Might do a hill workout later this week to try to start getting that back.

I go to the bone cracker (chiropractor or some other “or”) twice a year in prevention. She corrects small unbalance I may have in my skeleton before it starts hurting. She always says my right leg is slightly longer than the left. It’s not actually longer but it’s my hips that are not aligned. So she fixes that, cracks a couple of more bones in the back and neck and off I go. I do that before each season, just like I take my bike for a service. It’s been working so far.

Managed to drag myself out at lunch time yesterday for a short strength session. Today it’s long intervals with the running club (4/3/2 minutes x 2). Not sure what my strategy is here, probably trying to stay under 10k pace, although I ran 3k in less than 14 minutes last year, I should be able to keep that pace for 18 minutes with breaks.

2024-03-20 11:28 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Haha! Very true!

:D :D

Ummm...I feel seen.
2024-03-20 11:31 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Went to my pool this morning with the intent to swim 1900yds, as per my plan. Ended up swimming 2550yds. Don't know why--it didn't feel particularly good. Maybe it is a reflection of how little I wanted to jump into today's planned work project. Was planning to do my long ride today, but I've talked myself into waiting until Friday, when the weather is going to be nicer. Instead, I'll do my long run. I'd rather run in a wind than ride in one. Both days are going to be sunny and warm, but Friday is supposed to be just a bit warmer.
2024-03-20 12:07 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

I go to the bone cracker (chiropractor or some other “or”) twice a year in prevention. She corrects small unbalance I may have in my skeleton before it starts hurting. She always says my right leg is slightly longer than the left. It’s not actually longer but it’s my hips that are not aligned. So she fixes that, cracks a couple of more bones in the back and neck and off I go. I do that before each season, just like I take my bike for a service. It’s been working so far.

Managed to drag myself out at lunch time yesterday for a short strength session. Today it’s long intervals with the running club (4/3/2 minutes x 2). Not sure what my strategy is here, probably trying to stay under 10k pace, although I ran 3k in less than 14 minutes last year, I should be able to keep that pace for 18 minutes with breaks.

I should definitely do that. I love my chiropractor, and am definitely due for a tune up.
My hips are also misaligned and my right is shorter than my left b/c of that, which definitely contributes to my hip pain. I think this hip mobility stuff should help too though, so need to do a combo! I'm going to email my chiropractor right now though!

2024-03-20 8:29 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Haha! Very true!

This is a 100% plausible situation
2024-03-20 8:44 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen, Nice work re-re-rearranging your day and getting the work in.

@Nat, hope the bone cracker cracks things the right way. Get yourself nice and sorted for the start of your summer season.

@Nicole, Stretching... always something we should do more of. Something that's too easy to ignore until there's an issue to fix, when a bit of preventative work avoids the issue all together... Speaking of which, I should stretch tonight too. Nice work on another run, you're on a roll.

@DQ Where you gone buddy? Don't you disappear on us again.

@Me, still real tired this week. Kids/work/life all getting in the way of my hobby. Haha. And the end of summer, colder darker mornings isn't helping either. So, not the perfect week so far. But I have done 3 runs in 3 days to start the week. 2 x 45 min Z2 runs on the dreadmill. And the first (although least challenging) of my 3 workouts for the week, 70 minutes with 50 at 'steady state' pace, just a touch slower than my half marathon target pace. Honestly it was easier than I was expecting, at the start of the year there's no way I could have done that workout, at that pace. So it's pleasing to feel some progress.

Tonight, another Z2 treadmill trot, and some lower body stretching to prep for a big day Friday.
2024-03-21 8:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

@Me, still real tired this week. Kids/work/life all getting in the way of my hobby. Haha. And the end of summer, colder darker mornings isn't helping either. So, not the perfect week so far. But I have done 3 runs in 3 days to start the week. 2 x 45 min Z2 runs on the dreadmill. And the first (although least challenging) of my 3 workouts for the week, 70 minutes with 50 at 'steady state' pace, just a touch slower than my half marathon target pace. Honestly it was easier than I was expecting, at the start of the year there's no way I could have done that workout, at that pace. So it's pleasing to feel some progress.

Tonight, another Z2 treadmill trot, and some lower body stretching to prep for a big day Friday.

sounds like you are making it work, despite life getting in the way.

Today it’s long intervals with the running club (4/3/2 minutes x 2). Not sure what my strategy is here, probably trying to stay under 10k pace, although I ran 3k in less than 14 minutes last year, I should be able to keep that pace for 18 minutes with breaks.

Coach said 10k tempo so that's 5:08 per km (8:16/mile) for my bestest 10k ever). I didn't manage that for all intervals but some were faster and in total that added up to 5:12 (8:23) so that's not too bad

TONIGHT! SHL playoffs start! Go Lakers!!

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-03-21 8:18 AM
2024-03-21 12:33 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
What is this thing called stretching you are all talking about?!?! Obviously, I need to add one more thing to my routines! Actually, I do a lot of stretching, but in no formalized way. I am big on doing things in the interim--like, while my coffee brews, or as I stand by the washer while it runs through the last minute of the cycle, or when I'm waiting for the butcher to package my meat, etc. A few minutes of stretching or something throughout the day seems to work well for me. I do not...and would not...spend 30' stretching. I find it boring.

So far today I've gotten in a short swim (1750yds) and then a strength training, sandwiched around my Arabic lesson. I hate having to leave the gym and then come back, but such is life. Later this evening I have a 90' cycling interval ride. I'll start it after dinner in one of my rare evening sessions.

I think everyone will appreciate the gym story from today. I work out at the university gym. Every once in a while, they rent out space or access to kids groups. Today, they'd rented half the pool and access to the rest of the space to a local jr. high/middle school (I think, although they could have been young high schoolers)--think somewhere in the neighborhood of 13/14 years old. None of them looked old enough to drive, at least. So, there was the normal ridiculousness of teenagers with no plan running around the gym doing somewhat dumb stuff, but on my way out I noticed about 20 kids lolling around on the couches in the front area eating McDonalds. These little punks had foregone the chance to do something active and fun and door dashed themselves McDonalds (nearest McDonalds is miles away)! I chuckled, because I'm sure none of the adults that planned this event thought of this possibility! I know I wouldn't have!
2024-03-21 3:07 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
45 minutes easy on the treadmill, followed by a lower body stretch last night.

This morning, up at 5am for a 70ish minute run. Summer is officially over in NZ. The temp was about 44F, and I was done before any sign of a sunrise. Still, got my 2nd hard workout for the week done, 8 x 600m@5km pace, for a total of about 9.5km. It was a tough workout, that's not an overly comfortable, or familiar pace for me but got it done, and managed to stay in the correct pace zone most of the way.

Tomorrow, its long run day, with 13km @ half marathon race pace. I'm looking forward to it, but it's going to be tough. At the start of the year my goal for this race was sub 2:30. Mr Garmins race predictor currently says my HM goal should be 2:17:30. That's quite a bit faster. So tomorrow's going to be a bit of an experiment. The plan is to go out faster than I think I should, (but slower than Garmins prediction) and see how long I can hold on.

Go the Lakers!

2024-03-21 3:12 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

What is this thing called stretching you are all talking about?!?! Obviously, I need to add one more thing to my routines! Actually, I do a lot of stretching, but in no formalized way. I am big on doing things in the interim--like, while my coffee brews, or as I stand by the washer while it runs through the last minute of the cycle, or when I'm waiting for the butcher to package my meat, etc. A few minutes of stretching or something throughout the day seems to work well for me. I do not...and would not...spend 30' stretching. I find it boring.

It's a rare phenomenon I discovered after my 2nd Ironman. When your IT band blows up, your physio tells you that stretching and foam rolling helps it feel better so you can run again... But then again she subjected me to 'cupping' therapy, so she's pretty much a sadist. Not sure I would trust her.

Totally on board with it being boring. The best I manage is around 10 minute sessions after a light workout. Mind you, I feel the same about strength training too. Another thing I know I should probably do more of. But I can happily spend an hour on a treadmill... people are strange.

Have a good weekend BDAS'ers!
2024-03-21 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Got in some stretching last night in lieu of getting my a$$ outside for a run. My right hip has been bothering me so I'm going to work on my hip mobility over the next few weeks, as I think most of my hip pain is probably easily fixable with some stretching and mobility. Got out for a run this morning before I realized how windy it was got in 3.2 miles and felt pretty good. Still definitely feeling a bit out of shape, especially on hills. Might do a hill workout later this week to try to start getting that back.
I go to the bone cracker (chiropractor or some other “or&rdquo twice a year in prevention. She corrects small unbalance I may have in my skeleton before it starts hurting. She always says my right leg is slightly longer than the left. It’s not actually longer but it’s my hips that are not aligned. So she fixes that, cracks a couple of more bones in the back and neck and off I go. I do that before each season, just like I take my bike for a service. It’s been working so far. Managed to drag myself out at lunch time yesterday for a short strength session. Today it’s long intervals with the running club (4/3/2 minutes x 2). Not sure what my strategy is here, probably trying to stay under 10k pace, although I ran 3k in less than 14 minutes last year, I should be able to keep that pace for 18 minutes with breaks.
I should definitely do that. I love my chiropractor, and am definitely due for a tune up. My hips are also misaligned and my right is shorter than my left b/c of that, which definitely contributes to my hip pain. I think this hip mobility stuff should help too though, so need to do a combo! I'm going to email my chiropractor right now though!

I too need a good cracking once in a while, though my PT has done some wonder but my body acts like one leg is shorter than the other (like Nat) though it isn't.

2024-03-21 5:14 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey BDASers.  On the plane flying back from a work trip to Dallas...never left the airport as we had a work meeting in the hotel there.  Productive meeting and I got in one good workout this morning with about 5K on the treadmill with some random intervals (was going to do 2 x 0.75 miles @ T pace but wasn't feeling it).  Not sure what tomorrow will bring because I'll be getting home a little later than expected (a comedy of flight delays) and it's supposed to rain all day in Orlando tomorrow.  I plan on a long bike ride again on Saturday but weather is looking sketchy that day too.  Oh well.

2024-03-22 3:48 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by drfoodlove

It's a rare phenomenon I discovered after my 2nd Ironman. When your IT band blows up, your physio tells you that stretching and foam rolling helps it feel better so you can run again... But then again she subjected me to 'cupping' therapy, so she's pretty much a sadist. Not sure I would trust her.

Totally on board with it being boring. The best I manage is around 10 minute sessions after a light workout. Mind you, I feel the same about strength training too. Another thing I know I should probably do more of. But I can happily spend an hour on a treadmill... people are strange.

Have a good weekend BDAS'ers!

Yes, stretching is boring, just like strength training, and running on a treadmill, and cycling indoors, and swimming in the pool....

Why am I doing this sport then? Lake swimming, road biking and outdoor running

2024-03-22 6:19 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove What is this thing called stretching you are all talking about?!?! Obviously, I need to add one more thing to my routines! Actually, I do a lot of stretching, but in no formalized way. I am big on doing things in the interim--like, while my coffee brews, or as I stand by the washer while it runs through the last minute of the cycle, or when I'm waiting for the butcher to package my meat, etc. A few minutes of stretching or something throughout the day seems to work well for me. I do not...and would not...spend 30' stretching. I find it boring.
It's a rare phenomenon I discovered after my 2nd Ironman. When your IT band blows up, your physio tells you that stretching and foam rolling helps it feel better so you can run again... But then again she subjected me to 'cupping' therapy, so she's pretty much a sadist. Not sure I would trust her. Totally on board with it being boring. The best I manage is around 10 minute sessions after a light workout. Mind you, I feel the same about strength training too. Another thing I know I should probably do more of. But I can happily spend an hour on a treadmill... people are strange. Have a good weekend BDAS'ers!

I spend roughly 1.5 hours a week doing all the strength, core, flexibility, and physical therapy stuff to keep me from falling apart, and that jumps to 3 hours if I make it to Bikram Yoga.  Makes it tough to get in all the SBR training I want but if I back off on the SCFPT stuff for very long I disintegrate.  I've been like this even before my back problems, well back into my 20s (even in college I was better at field/court/beach sports when I put in some gym time).

2024-03-22 8:20 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Up this morning for a good 2750yd swim after a kind of disastrous CV interval bike last night. All the schedule rearranging left me with a swim, strength session, and CV bike on the same day, which was a recipe for disaster! And a disaster it was. The swim and strength were good, but man...that bike...it was awful. I ended up making it through one of the planned four CV intervals before I knew I wasn't going to make it through all of them. I started the second and it was just like pushing lead, so I changed tactics to a strict Z2 ride, but even that was tough. I ended up bailing out of the 90' workout at 45' because I didn't want to ruin the quality of my long ride today being over fatigued. Fatigued I am though. I can certainly tell it is the end of the third week of a training block. Not much to go to hit rest week though!! Just a 2.5 hour bike, a swim, another bike, and a run. I can do it!!

Later this afternoon is the long ride of the week, and lucky for me, it is going to be 68F and sunny and I will totally be doing part of this ride outside. My plan is to do the first hour inside, because it calls for 10x2.5' Z4, which is really hard to maintain outside where you have to account for traffic and crossings and such. So, I'm going to do a broken long ride, with the intervals inside and then pop the tire on and go outside for the rest. It will be about 90' outside, which is a good ride around here--I should be able to do a long route I have in mind without having to do too many looping sections.
2024-03-22 8:49 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all!
Five weeks until my first race of the season, which is the Seneca 7. I'm panicking a little but it will be fine. Gonna try to get a run in this afternoon. I've been horrible about getting to bed on time this week so mornings have been really rough. I have no plans this weekend so am going to take advantage. I'm going to swim tomorrow, then clean and de-clutter all day (it's supposed to be rainy and gross). Saturday I will probably run and bike and continue the cleaning and de-cluttering. I found a new cleaning person that is coming on Thursday next week, so want my house to be in good shape, and have an organization coming Tuesday to pick up donations from my house.

I'm hoping once my house is de-cluttered, my brain also will be, and then I can REALLY focus on training!
2024-03-22 4:11 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Nicole--anytime you'd like to come declutter my house, you are more than welcome!!

Long ride in the books--I split it up and did the intervals 6x2.5' in Z4 (super tough and I was dying near the end) on my trainer and then quickly (ish; I mean...my wife did have to tell me all about a data breach in a company we don't have anything to do with that somehow affected her job I know nothing about in the middle of my quick change, but I digress...:D ) put my rear wheel on and went out for the 90' Z2 portion on the road. Got my first obscenities yelled at me this season, so that milestone is out of the way. I mean...if they are going to do it, at least they could do is be creative. "F'in' fat hoe" is a boring insult. Otherwise, the ride was pretty good. I probably overclocked it bit, because my pwoermeter didn't kick on, which is the same thing that happened last week riding outside. I'm going to have to break down and actually replace the batteries...as a first step to figuring this out. I think the last time one of them got changed was in June of last year. The other one I changed in August...and the reason they got changed at different times is because when I went to change them in August before my 140.6, I stripped the hex on the cap on one of them and just gave up trying to get it off (and hoped for the best in my race!).

What does everyone have on tap for the weekend?!?
2024-03-23 2:19 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
You did well there, listening to your wife’s story in the middle of your quick change. Don’t you warn her about things like that so she knows the workout isn’t done?
What did you do to get shouted at?
I wouldn’t know about power meters.

Busy fun weekend ahead:
Today:
Long run at 11 (we’re up to 14.5k I think)
Hockey at 3 (2nd 1/4 final, GO LAKERS)
Restaurant at 6 (hopefully the game is over then)
Concert at 8 (a Swedish band called Bo Kaspers Orchestra)

Tomorrow
Floorball in the morning and long ride (probably on Zwift, it’s cold and miserable again but there’s hockey on TV (the other 2 quarters) in the afternoon.

So basically all my favourite things in one weekend.

Have a nice one BDAS!

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 886 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland