Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 100

2024-03-23 4:42 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
I *may* have flipped him the bird, but he deserved it. :D

Triple today, courtesy of weather, long work days, and babysitting earlier inhe week. Nothing too strenuous though: 75’ Z2 ride, 2000yd swim, and 30’ Z1 (that was done in Z2!) run. All felt good, but also like it is the last day of the three week build period. Looking forward to rest day tomorrow and cutback week next week.

Rest of the weekend has me reading a book, watching the Bombers play footy, and sleeping in until at least 6 tomorrow.

2024-03-24 5:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by Rollergirl Y What did you do to get shouted at?

Riding a bike on the road in 'Murica.

Originally posted by drfoodlove I *may* have flipped him the bird, but he deserved it. :D 

OK, and maybe this. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2024-03-24 5:54 AM
2024-03-24 5:59 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Back in Orlando after traveling this week.  Got in a short lunch workout Friday (including a 4th run of the week, Andrew!) and a 90-minute ride with my daughter yesterday on the trails 25 minutes north of here, which made for a 45 minute trip when I forgot my bike shoes and had to turn around and come back.  I then left my keys on top of the SUV while we rode, but thankfully this is a bougie area so no issues and they were still there when we finished.  I was more worried someone would grab them and turn them in somewhere that would have taken me some time to deal with.  LOL 

Long run today (well what passes for long for me, about an hour / 5.5 miles) and then working on my tan.

2024-03-24 7:57 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Mike—did you realize the key thing while you were riding? I once realized I left my keys sitting very prominently on the side of my truck bed (I.e., about two feet from the door they would unlock and at eye level) when I was about 20 miles out from the truck. I thought about them all the way back to the truck. But…mine too was in a pretty bougie area, so no worries! Seems like bike trails and bougie go together—not surprising. Now I just toss my keys under the bed liner to avoid having to carry them.
2024-03-24 9:16 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93
(including a 4th run of the week, Andrew!)

Wooo Hooo! Build those running legs

Nice work.
2024-03-24 9:25 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen, Was the bird flipped before, or after receiving the abuse. There's something about getting behind the wheel turns people into a$$holes, be careful out there. Nice job re arranging things and keeping the workouts ticking along as always. I've done the same trick with long rides, 1-2 hours on the trainer then heading out to the roads for few hours to finish things off. It's a good way to let your ride start nice and early, before its light enough to be out on the roads.

@ Nat, So, how did our lakers go? The warriors finally got their first win of the season on Friday, after 2 close losses. It's our year... Sounds like a fun, but busy weekend. Hope all went well.

@Nicole, Sorry, what is the Seneca 7? 5 weeks is not that far away, but you've got a good 4 week block you can still build some fitness in. Looking forward to seeing you nail it.

@Mike, Forgot bike shoes and keys? You're heading into Gretchen training stories there. Although she would have rode home barefoot to pick up the shoes before doing a light 100miles of mixed intervals. Hope you had fun riding with the offspring.

2024-03-24 9:40 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well I had my first unscheduled rest day of the year yesterday. Mrs Bullfrog was going to a former workmates wedding Sunday, with no spouses invited, Saturday evening we got asked if I'd like to go as they'd had some cancellations. You can't really tell the wife "no, go on your own, I'd rather go for a run and do an hour on zwift". Haha.

So we had a busy day running around organising things then off to a wedding. Which was a nice night out and to be fair my body probably needed a rest.

Saturday was my biggest workout pre half marathon. 17-19km with 13km @ planned race pace. Man it was a struggle. Doing that workout 24 hours after 5k race pace intervals wasn't the best planning. Nor was misreading the weather, starting way over dressed and massively dehydrating myself by losing half my bodyweight in sweat. OK, excuses out of the way. I did manage to finish the run, and I did manage to mostly stay in my pace zones, albeit at the slower end of them.

Totals for the week,
Swim: 0
Bike: x 1, 1 hour
Run: x 6, 54km, 6hr 36. (biggest run week ever in terms of mileage, but not duration)

Total of 7hr 36, Less than planned, but with 3 decent run workouts I feel I worked hard enough.
2024-03-25 1:55 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Back in Orlando after traveling this week.  Got in a short lunch workout Friday (including a 4th run of the week, Andrew!) and a 90-minute ride with my daughter yesterday on the trails 25 minutes north of here, which made for a 45 minute trip when I forgot my bike shoes and had to turn around and come back.  I then left my keys on top of the SUV while we rode, but thankfully this is a bougie area so no issues and they were still there when we finished.  I was more worried someone would grab them and turn them in somewhere that would have taken me some time to deal with.  LOL 

Long run today (well what passes for long for me, about an hour / 5.5 miles) and then working on my tan.

4 runs! nice work!

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-03-25 3:26 AM
2024-03-25 3:09 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

@Gretchen, Was the bird flipped before, or after receiving the abuse.

yes, we need more info.

2024-03-25 3:11 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

you can't really tell the wife "no, go on your own, I'd rather go for a run and do an hour on zwift". Haha.

I guess you can't, however tempting this may be...

good work on the runs. I agree, 3 hard runs is enough

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-03-25 3:18 AM
2024-03-25 3:30 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

@ Nat, So, how did our lakers go? The warriors finally got their first win of the season on Friday, after 2 close losses. It's our year... Sounds like a fun, but busy weekend. Hope all went well.

All went well. I was a little tired on the run and couldn’t understand why until my running partner pointed out that it was (don’t laugh) early in the morning. It’s true that I do all my workouts in the afternoon/evening, so long run just 2 hours after getting up, maybe has something to do with it.

Then on to hockey, win within regulation time (thanks, would have been late for dinner if there had been a 4th period). We are now leading 2 games to 0 in the quarter finals but it was 2 home games. Away game tonight and on Wednesday.

Great food, great concert, a perfect day.

Then to top it up, floorball with work mates yesterday. Again, great turnout, a lot of fun despite too many goals conceded. Then a 90 minutes Zwift workout.

Is it ok to call your boss’s wife a b*tch? Asking for a friend.

week's numbers

S=0
B=45min commute to work on mtb and 90 Zwift minutes.
R=14.5k slow run and long intervals with the club
S/M = 90 minutes of diving on hard floor and up again + 45 minutes lite strength

Go warriors, it is our year, I feel it!

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-03-25 6:29 AM

2024-03-25 8:39 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

@Nicole, Sorry, what is the Seneca 7? 5 weeks is not that far away, but you've got a good 4 week block you can still build some fitness in. Looking forward to seeing you nail it.

Ah sorry! This is the long relay around Seneca Lake (one of the finger lakes in Upstate NY) that I've done a few times. 77.7 miles split between 7 people. I'm running the 7th leg this year, which means I will not have the relief of finishing early and being able to relax while others keep going.

My legs will be as follows:
4.1 miles ("climbing" aka mostly uphill...so that's fun)
3.1 miles ("gentle downhill" - LOVE!)
3.6 miles ("flat"!!!!)

I'm relieved that these at least aren't difficult legs. I'll be glad to get the hardest one out of the way first!
2024-03-25 8:42 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Behind her back, DEFINITELY! lol
Care to provide some more info?
2024-03-25 8:59 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

you can't really tell the wife "no, go on your own, I'd rather go for a run and do an hour on zwift". Haha.

We've been together 24+ years, my wife would know better than to even ask me if I wanted to go to a wedding the night before if I had already scheduled workouts!
2024-03-25 9:05 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

@Gretchen, Was the bird flipped before, or after receiving the abuse. There's something about getting behind the wheel turns people into a$$holes, be careful out there.

He had done a couple of @sshole-ish things already. He passed me on an uphill with about 10' before a stop sign--because he just couldn't wait to get around the cyclist--and then waited at the sign until I had to unclip before spraying gravel all over me when he took off super fast. I flipped him the bird after the gravel. That's when he yelled obscenities at me.

But...also...as Mike said...just riding a bike in 'Murica will get someone mad enough to yell obscenities at you on the daily.
2024-03-25 9:07 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

I'm with Nicole--we need more details, but in general, I think if the boss' wife is being a b!tch, you should call her one (to her face, not behind her back). But, then I'm old, tired, do not give one if other people like me, and literally can't be fired for such behavior, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :D :D :D

2024-03-25 9:16 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Looks like everyone is killing it with the runs! Great job!!

Nicole--the Seneca 7 always sounds like such a fun race, but I'm so slow I'd never do it, because I wouldn't want to slow the team down. (I know...most people don't care about the finish time, just want to have fun, but I can't get it out of my mind). We have something here called the River-to-River race, which is about 100 miles between the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. I can't remember how many people are on a team, but it is CRAZY. The roads are jammed packed with SUVs and trucks trying to ferry teams from their pickup point to the next drop point. It is incredible how many crazy logistical issues arise when you're trying to beat a fast runner to the next checkpoint. I guess the race has been won and lost in the past because the relay runner couldn't get to the checkpoint fast enough and the current runner had to wait for them.

For me...it is REST WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm taking full advantage! I even cancelled my strength training sessions this week to fully absorb the past several weeks of tough training. I am planning to do testing to check my run zones, because they feel a bit off lately, but other than that, it is pretty much one session a day, except for Tuesday and Friday. I wish I could say I didn't know what I was going to do with all my free time, but I do know. It is catch up with work and house work.

Last week's numbers:
Swim 8550 yds 3:56:19
Bike 72.35 miles 5:25:20
Run 16.13 miles 3:35:28
Strength 1:40

Pretty happy with that. Bike and run volume are up, swim is down a touch.
2024-03-25 9:37 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

We've been together 24+ years, my wife would know better than to even ask me if I wanted to go to a wedding the night before if I had already scheduled workouts!

also true in my relationship, he would never dare!
2024-03-25 9:42 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I'm with Nicole--we need more details, but in general, I think if the boss' wife is being a b!tch, you should call her one (to her face, not behind her back). But, then I'm old, tired, do not give one if other people like me, and literally can't be fired for such behavior, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :D :D :D

Actually, I asked my boss and it's Ok with him . It's nothing serious at all, she is not a b*tch at all, just a little of floorball trash talk. she came and played with us on Sunday (partners and grown up kids are welcome, the more the merrier).

She scored a cheeky goal against me (a wraparound I think i's called in hockey. in Swedish it's called "going through the kitchen door") and I may have called her a B word in the heat of the moment

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-03-25 9:43 AM
2024-03-25 2:46 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Actually, I asked my boss and it's Ok with him . It's nothing serious at all, she is not a b*tch at all, just a little of floorball trash talk. she came and played with us on Sunday (partners and grown up kids are welcome, the more the merrier).

She scored a cheeky goal against me (a wraparound I think i's called in hockey. in Swedish it's called "going through the kitchen door") and I may have called her a B word in the heat of the moment

Oh...in the heat of the game after she scored on you?!?! Absolutely!! I mean...as long as she isn't a total stick in the mud.
2024-03-25 3:53 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Oh...in the heat of the game after she scored on you?!?! Absolutely!! I mean...as long as she isn't a total stick in the mud.

Yeah, whats said on the court, stays on the court in my books. Let rip.

2024-03-25 3:59 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nicoole, Sounds like a fun event. Could get tough though, with the relatively short legs allowing you to push pretty hard. Going to be quite tired by the last one. With the pressure of running the anchor leg

@Gretchen, You cancelled a workout? Are you feeling ok? Do we need to send help. Haha. In all seriousness letting your body rest a bit and absorb your training sounds like the right decision. Hope you don't go too stir crazy with all your extra free time this week.

Started the week with an easy 30 minute treadmill jog, and stretch/foam roll Monday night. 11 days out from race day I'm aiming to hit the stretch/recovery stuff pretty hard trying to get the body into as close to fighting shape as I can. 3 or 4 sessions a week, instead of my usual 1 or 2.
Followed up with an over/under interval run this morning. About an hours worth. It was dark, and I got rained on. Winter is here.
2024-03-26 3:13 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Glad you all approve of me calling my Boss's wife names , he does too.

We have very unformal relations in my company (Sweden generally is much more relaxed about job titles and stuff but I think we take it to the next level) so I was never worried because she was my boss's wife but calling anybody a b*tch is not really my style.

2024-03-26 5:26 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Mike and Nicole—check in! Mike I know you’re in FL, but let us know your daughter is safe.

Andrew and Nathalie—after being hit by a ship a bridge collapsed with several cars on it in Baltimore, where Mike and Nicole live (or close to).
2024-03-26 5:37 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Mike and Nicole—check in! Mike I know you’re in FL, but let us know your daughter is safe.

Andrew and Nathalie—after being hit by a ship a bridge collapsed with several cars on it in Baltimore, where Mike and Nicole live (or close to).

oh no!

Yes please Mike and Nicole, let us know you / families are safe
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 881 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland