New Zealand
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 28s
Overall Rank = 110/155
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 19/24
Pre-race routine:

After a terrible night sleep having the traditional pre race nerves we were up out of bed at 5:30am, kids up dressed and on our way to mission bay at 6:15am. Earlier than needed for race start but needed to beat the road closure and get a nice convenient carpark for the family to use as a base while I was racing.

Once at the beach straight to transition to bag a good bike rack then registration to get race stickers etc. Grabbed a coffee and watched the kids play on the beach until the pre race briefing.

Watched the Olympic and Try-a-Tri swims then waded out to the swim area about 10 minutes before race start. Put my head under and swum a few strokes but didn't have much of a warmup, more acclimatizing myself to the water temperature.
Event warmup:

Had planned to swim pre race. But with the 'deep water start' swim course access was not very convenient. So used the traditional 'the swim is my warmup' plan. A good choice for my first OWS in almost 2 years.
Swim
  • 13m 38s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

First open water swim since January 2022, so a bit of a step into the unknown.

I positioned myself on the back row, on the outside to try and avoid getting too beat up in the bunch. Long story short, it didn't work. I spent the entire 500m with swimmers all around me, no real contact to speak of but no room.

As usual I focused on trying to keep a long, controlled stroke. Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. Sighting was ok, but not that needed due to the numbers of swimmers around me.

Overall considering my training and lack of recent OWS experience it was pretty good. Felt in control the whole way round, was pushing but not super fatigued. Happy with that.

As discussed in the course notes, the finish buoys were 300m off the beach, with a 'no swim zone' So I hit the buoys in 10:17 on the garmin but hit T1 in 13:38 officially. 3 minutes plus lost here unfortunately. And 3 minutes in a sprint is a lot.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more in training to be just generally faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Once out of the water started jogging. Wetsuit down to the waist, goggles and cap off before reaching the bike. Wetsuit off the legs, sunglasses then helmet on. kneeled down to put on socks and bike shoes. Fast wal rather than jog through transition to the mount line.

Tri shoes rather than cycling shoes. Boa fasteners are nice, but slow.
Bike
  • 41m 19s
  • 20 kms
  • 29.04 km/hr
Comments:

Poor start to the ride. For some reason (probably being more fatigued after the swim than I acknowledge) I just couldn't clip in. I lost what felt like minutes, but was probably seconds fumbling trying 3 or 4 times to get my shoe clicked into its pedal.

Once in and riding I took a moment to ease myself into the ride. It took a few hundred meters to get comfortable but was then able to up my effort to around 30km/hr to the first turn around. Once past the first U-turn it was hammer time. Effort went from comfortable, to comfortably hard. Speed increased but I did feel like I was into a little bit of wind. after the 2nd turn around I tried to lift again. Going past Transition to complete lap 1 of 2 I noticed my speed was 34km/hr, that's a bit faster than I expected. Must be a slight wind pushing me along.

Approaching the 3rd U-turn I sat up, took a swig of my nutrition, dropped down a gear and started pushing again back the other way. On this leg my race almost ended. I was riding along when a big pace line (drafting is legal in these tris) went past. Just after passing me a rider clipped the back wheel of a rider in front, big slide sideways, everybody on the brakes. But luckily for all involved everyone stayed up. I let the group go off ahead, composed myself and continued on my way.

Repeated the nutrition drink just before the final U-turn and then tried to up my effort to get off the bike in less than 40 minutes. Which was going to be very close (40:19 according to my Garmin) Unfortunately I recorded an official time of 41:19. I didn't realise that the ride was 1 full kilometer long. Even with my time lost at the start I would have been on for sub 40 minutes if the course was an honest 20km. Garmin says I had an average speed of 31.3km/hr, which I'm going to claim. And that's the highest average speed I've done in a tri since my only olympic distance in 2012, which is also what I consider my best triathlon performance and the fittest I've ever toed the line.

Get clipped in faster and off riding.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Jogged the bike to my rack. Helmet off, shoes off, run shoes on, elastic laces helped here. Grabbed my 100ml nutrition bottle, rece belt and visor to put on/in pockets once running. Jogged to transition exit then accelerated

Velcro tri shoes rather than Boa fastener cycling shoes would save a few seconds.
Run
  • 33m 17s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 40s  min/km
Comments:

I haven't run a fast 5km in so long, I didn't know what to expect. Based off the speeds I have been running various interval workouts at I guessed 6:20-6:40/km was probably what I was capable of.

As I went around the mission bay fountain exiting transition I checked my watch, 6:30/km. So right in my expected range, quick systems check, how do I feel? legs felt like I had just finished a hard bike ride, to be expected. Otherwise I felt ok, HR was a bit high but felt manageable. So I decided to maintain that pace for the first km and see how I felt.

1km marker came in 6:33. Still feeling manageable, overtaking a similar number of runners as the number that are overtaking me. Going to keep this pace for the next km.

Km 2 was knocked off in 6:34. Approaching the turn and aid station I took about half my nutrition bottle, washed the sugar down with water from the aid station. Started to slow after the turn, seeing more numbers beginning with a 7 on my watch. Not good enough, upped my effort to stay on pace. 3rd km 6:40.

Kilometer 4 was just about hanging on. I knew if I get to the last km on pace adrenaline will carry me home. Still overtaking, and being overtaken in similar amounts. With Olympic and Sprint distance athletes on the course, and Tri/Du options for both distances it's a bit hard to know how I'm going. Km 4 complete in 6:34

Into the last kilometer I just tried to hold on till the last few hundred meters when I wanted to speed up. That's pretty much how it happened. Km 5 was my fastest split 6:27, and the final 100m was at 5:39 pace.

Overall I was surprisingly happy with my run. Bang in the middle of my prediction, and the fastest overall pace of any run I've logged since 2019.

Judging my my pace over the last 3-400m I had more in the tank. Im happy with the first half, but should have tried to pick up the pace at half way not save it all for the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Banana and electrolyte drink post finish. Hung around for an hour or so to see if I won a spot prize (did not) watched the kids in the playground, and let Mr 6 talk me into a game of 1v1 soccer at home in the afternoon. Can't do that after an Ironman.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Other than the usual too fat and not trained enough.

Swim, very happy with what I produced based on the training I've done.

The start of the bike was cr@p. Lost a chunk of time there. Probably could have pushed a touch more on the bike too. A power meter would help here.

For the run, I think I held too much for the end. I talked a good game and said I would push until I blew up. And I did push. But with hindsight could have pushed a bit more.

Event comments:

My first 'peoples tri' event since 2016. Well organised, nice friendly atmosphere and good value. And on one of the fastest courses you're likely to come across. Already penciled in the April race for the end of summer.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2023-11-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:38 | 500 meters | 02m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/24
Overall: 78/155
Performance: Good
https://www.strava.com/activities/10161001209
Suit:
Course: 200m out, 100m across and 200m back in. Swim start and finish were about 300m off the beach. Compulsory no swim zone from the finish to the beach. added about 3 minutes of wading through waist high water.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:41:19 | 20 kms | 29.04 km/hr
Age Group: 18/24
Overall: 99/155
Performance: Good
https://www.strava.com/activities/10161001247
Wind: Little
Course: 2 10k laps each with 2 x 180 degree hairpin turns. No real elevation changes no other sharp corners.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:17 | 05 kms | 06m 40s  min/km
Age Group: 20/24
Overall: 136/155
Performance: Average
https://www.strava.com/activities/10161001274
Course: 2,5km out along tamaki drive, turn at the aid station then back home to glory
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2023-11-05 8:23 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: Peoples Tri Mission Bay

2023-11-06 7:13 AM
in reply to: #5287315

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Peoples Tri Mission Bay
Well done! I lost my tri cycling shoes somewhere along the way and I always seem to fumble around with the BOA on my roadie shoes..
2023-11-06 7:14 AM
in reply to: #5287315

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Well done, Andrew, and don't sweat the course modifications - everyone has them so can count this as a "goal met" sub-1:30. 

Yeah, we need to ditch our Boa shoes, right? Those are still pretty good transition times so you obviously didn't picnic at all.

2023-11-08 1:08 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
All in all, a well executed game plan, well done!
I like your race gear! Nice a colourful!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peoples Tri Mission Bay Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swansea Bay Parkrun

Started by po
Views: 250 Posts: 1

2023-07-20 4:10 PM po

Swansea Bay Parkrun

Started by po
Views: 308 Posts: 1

2023-06-12 12:40 PM po