General Discussion Race Reports! » Survival of the Shawangunks S.O.S. Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Survival of the Shawangunks S.O.S. Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Paltz, New York
United States
Survival of the Shawangunks
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 51m 58s
Overall Rank = 2/211
Age Group = M35-29
Age Group Rank = 1/14
Pre-race routine:

Pancakes at the AirBnB, then packed up the car and made the short drive to the fairgrounds. Was not thrilled with how cold it was, and went back and forth on what to wear for the bike. Ultimately decided no jacket, just arm warmers (plus headband and gloves).
Event warmup:

Did a quick spin on the bike because I thought I heard a funny noise, but all seemed good to go.
Swim
  • 1h 04m 37s
  • 3696 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

First swim was best in terms of placement, but the water was so cold, and it's the longest swim, so I was hurting when I came out. Took a long time to recover. Was happy the second lake was not AS cold, but had some chop and I was really just trying to get through it. Got passed like I wasn't even moving, first racer I'd seen since early in the first run. I'd like to say it motivated me to swim harder, but not really. Final swim I was pretty beat just getting to the lake. Kept my shoes on for that one, and got through it just knowing it was the final swim and a short run up to the tower awaited.
What would you do differently?:

These were not great efforts to be honest, but the race for me did not come down to swimming fast, it was about getting through the swims able to run well. Not cramping was paramount, and I succeeded there.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 1h 29m 49s
  • 30 miles
  • 20.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal was to maintain between HIM and IM power for the flat section, then about HIM for the climb. I hit that exactly, got in all my nutrition, and came off the bike in good shape to run.

Nothing - glad I ditched the jacket just before starting, arm warmers were enough. Net headwind was annoying, kept aero disciplined. Very happy with this ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 1h 37m 32s
  • 18.7 miles
  • 05m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good for the first run coming off the bike, basically was just trying to keep it conservative with a lot still to come. The second run was all about just trying to warm up. I was so cold coming out of that swim I was shivering for awhile, felt weird, form was erratic. Couldn't really push any pace. Tried to eat some but didn't get a whole lot in. Third run was easily my best. After getting passed in the water, I came out looking to hunt her down, and for the first time all day really was "racing". I got her in view, and probably overtook her too aggressively. The long "Godzilla" climb towards the end nearly cracked me. I figured I had a decent lead, but couldn't be sure how much I would need for the final swim. The final short, but extremely steep, run was more of a death march. I ran when I could, power hiked when I couldn't. Crowds were awesome. Getting to the top was incredible!

Nothing, had the fastest 3rd and 4th runs in the entire race!
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with the winner- Tim O'Donnell - about how cool and challenging the race was. So cool! Got into my warm clothes quickly and tried to stay warm, before eventually walking back down from Sky Top to the shuttle pick up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A few things I would do differently next time (if there is one), but can't complain about this performance.

Event comments:

What an incredibly fun adventure! So glad to check this off the bucket list. And to finish second overall is incredible, especially when first place was Tim O'Donnell!!! What an experience to share the podium with a legend.

Last updated: 2024-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:04:37 | 3696 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 0/211
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Legs 3, 5, and 7. All point to point, first one just over a mile, next two advertised as half mile (most measure #3 shorter than #2. Point to point, fairly easily to navigate. Incredibly beautiful. #2 was a little choppy. #1 easily the coldest.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:29:49 | 30 miles | 20.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 5/211
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Mostly flat first 25 miles from the fairgrounds to Rosendale, then down to Accord, Kerhonkson, and turning there for the 5 mile climb to Minnewaska
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:37:32 | 18.7 miles | 05m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 2/211
Performance: Good
Course: Point to point on carriage trails. Good amount of climbing, especially second half of run 3 (longest), and very steep final climb to Sky Tower.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2024-09-16 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
Subject: Survival of the Shawangunks S.O.S. Triathlon

2024-09-17 9:46 AM
in reply to: #5289849

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Survival of the Shawangunks S.O.S. Triathlon
Well done! Always wanted to do SoS and was actually registered twice but never made it to the start line. Fun fact: i worked at Mohonk Mountain House one summer..

Your o/a run time is just obscene..congrats on your day
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Survival of the Shawangunks S.O.S. Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lakeside Double Sprint Triathlon (2nd Triathlon)

Started by mchisholm
Views: 394 Posts: 2

2024-06-18 2:16 PM jmhpsu93

Lakeside Double Sprint Triathlon (First Triathlon)

Started by mchisholm
Views: 259 Posts: 1

2024-06-17 1:42 PM mchisholm

Tri-U-Mah Indoor Triathlon

Started by stevestenzel
Views: 608 Posts: 2

2024-02-08 12:52 PM BikerGrrrl

Alpha Win Saugerties Triathlon

Started by triguy18
Views: 480 Posts: 2

2023-11-01 7:23 PM jmhpsu93

Nat Greene's Revenge Triathlon